The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 02:49:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording of Bob/ZM, Steve/HUZ and Tom/JJ working Europe - Pileup on 75M  (Read 26337 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:37 PM »

What a blast last night!  

I received this recording today from an SWL named Gert-Jan in the Netherlands. We were on from 9:30 PM until 2:30 AM in the morning in the 75M DX window. Steve/WB3HUZ and I held court for FIVE hours and worked a continuous pile-up of Russians and Europeans, South Africa, South America and New Zealand stations.  Also worked a few of the pissweak 10 watt Novice UK stations. (Foundation license)  We were later joined by Bob/W2ZM and Pete/K2PM.

Steve and I were feeding the wolves for a change.  Usually it's the Americans calling the Euros.

The entire recording (less than 3 minutes) was made from Europe. It's interesting to hear what it sounds like on the other side of the pond.

Listen for Steve's request for a drain break ... :-)  And Fabio's name changed throughout the night from Jacques, to Dr. Love and back to Fabio. It was a lot of fun.  Listen especially to the very end which shows the Euro pileup calling us... it was actually slowing down by that point... :-)  Much of the time there were so many calling it was tough to pick out a single callsign. Listen to the last ten seconds of the tape and try to pick one out... :-)

Bear in mind that Steve is in VA, Bob is in western NY and I'm in CT.

The whole game is receiving. We had some USA guys breaking in to say they couldn't hear the stations we were talking with. Steve put up a beverage today, so will be hearing even better in the future. Bob has up a double three element Yagi wire array on Europe.

Click to hear the recording made in Europe:

http://www.amwindow.org/misc/mp3/K1JJ-HUZ-ZM-DX-Tape.mp3

Tom, K1JJ

Here's a listing of the stations we worked:  (We actually spent time chatting with many of the guys over the five hour session - just love talking with the enthusiatic Russians.)

GM3JUD
IW1FGY
GM3JUD
HK3GXI
GD6IA
M3LIN
G4RNK
MI3FHZ
SP5INQ
RA4CC
UT6EE
SM7JKD
US7WW
RV6CC
UT5MM
US1VQ
4L4WW
UA6LPY
DO1JW
RA6ASU
2E0KLD
UR5AS
4L4TL
LZ2VZJ
RV6LJK
HB9TVF
M1WDK
ZS6HA
EA1ASG
OM6SK
CT1QP
OK1ULN
YO8TK
2E0WXL
YU2SD
OK1HBO
S57RR
LZ1QI
RX3QP
I0MPF
UT1HA
EA6DC
OK1AGH
G3TYR
PA0YG
YO5GSB
SP3PL
OK1DCS
YU1HD
C1NNN
IK2BDR
PA2AQ
G4UFK
HA1CUB
IZ2MGN
G4FFE
F6EZ
SO8JLA
IK2DDK
OK2SSD
2W0DTR
SP6ITF
ZL1AIH
G8FMT
G3RCQ
EI6S
EA4HD
G4KHM
G4AMN
OH5LF
KH6JS

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K3ZS

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 10:10:37 AM »

I have worked Europe a few times in the 75M DX window, but never heard pileups like that.    I usually can only receive the strongest stations and don't hear most of them, although they hear me well because of the beverages they are using.

I guess this belongs in the technical section, is there any way to get a better receive antenna for 75M DX when you don't have more than a few hundred feet on your property?
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 11:00:36 AM »

I have worked Europe a few times in the 75M DX window, but never heard pileups like that.    I usually can only receive the strongest stations and don't hear most of them, although they hear me well because of the beverages they are using.

I guess this belongs in the technical section, is there any way to get a better receive antenna for 75M DX when you don't have more than a few hundred feet on your property?

Some people swear by the K9AY loops others (and I find this one tough to accept) are keen on phased, small verticals for receive.  If I say more than this, I'm sure the thread gets moved.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:36:50 AM »

Both can work well. In fact the K9AY is really just phased short verticals (as are the EWE, Penent, Flag, etc).

ZS, check out the links below. I've had great success with the K9AY. It's easy to build and needs only one support about 25-30 feet high and a about 30 feet of space on the ground. It works well on both 160 and 80 and even shows nice F/B on the high end of the broadcast band.

http://www.amwindow.org/misc/av/k9ayinactionweb.mov
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/loop/k9ay/
http://home.comcast.net/~markwa1ion/exaol1/k9ay_ant.htm

Some people swear by the K9AY loops others (and I find this one tough to accept) are keen on phased, small verticals for receive.  If I say more than this, I'm sure the thread gets moved.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2009, 11:46:37 AM »

Were you guys on AM or single slopbucket?

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »

What a blast last night! 
I received this recording today from an SWL in the Netherlands. We were on from 9:30 PM until 2:30 AM in the morning in the 75M DX window. Steve/WB3HUZ and I held court for FIVE hours and worked a continuous pile-up of Russians and Europeans, South Africa, South America and New Zealand stations.  Also worked a few of the pissweak 10 watt Novice UK stations. (Foundation license)  We were later joined by Bob/W2ZM and Pete/K2PM.
Tom, K1JJ

Hello Tom!
Often I (PE1MPH) receive AM from the USA on 3885.
This morning (by me 06.30 hours) I heard 3 stations in AM.
I think one with the call: WA1QIX
But the USA AM-ers mention their call for us European to 'fast'....
WA1QIX were very strong by me and he was talking with 2 others.
I listen on my Grundig Sat. 1400 and WA1QIX had a 5 (scale 0 - 10).
The others were around a 2 on the meter.

By the way: this morning good conditions!!
Last weeks I received only very weak signals from the USA.

And I think you know, we use 3705 often for AM in Europa?!

Greetings,

Henk, PE1MPH
Dokkum, The Netherlands
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 12:29:01 PM »

Hello Henk and All,

Yes, Henk, I've seen many of your AM reports over the years. That's a great service for us - to figure out our audio levels and effectiveness for DX contacts... tnx!

The session we had the other night was on ssb. It is the usual mode for the DX window because the window extends only about 10-15 khz wide. But we operate AM pretty much anywhere below 3775 on the phone band and look forward to chatting with your Euro group on AM..

In the tape you will notice that Steve and I have more "rag chew" ssb audio while Bob uses very punchy "DX" audio. Bob's audio surely stands out more than mine, even though my signal was louder, strength-wise. 

I plan to do some AM operations down on 3705 to talk with your Euro group soon. I need to add a shorting stub to my NE 2el Quad to tune the reflector down there. Right now it is optimized to go from 3770 to 3900. If I go below 3770 without retuning the reflector, it will beam to California rather than Europe... :-)

As for the K9AY mini loop receive antenna: Any of these receiving systems are better than a straight dipole. We need a front-back to attenuate the atmospheric noise in several directions to uncover the desired signals. It's really about reducing noise more than increasing signal strength.

The ultimate is to add a second element to the transmitting dipole (phased driven dipoles or Yagi)  and then add a second receiver and Beverage to make it a full dual diversity receiving system.  Use the bev/K9AY in one ear and the phased dipoles/Yagi in the other. It makes a tremendous difference to pulling out the weak ones. Bob/ZM and I presently use this system. Steve is working on his now.

By stretching ourselves to work the weak ones on ssb in the DX window, it makes us better at receiving the weak AM signals on the west coast or Europe on 3885, 3705, etc. About 50% of it is acquirng the receiving skills to pull the weak ones out and 50% is hardware.  Steve/HUZ has been practicing a lot lately and now has some of the best ears on the east coast, in my opinion.  ie, It's easy to transmit out a big signal using QRO, but very difficult to uncover the next layer down of weak signals on receive.

The biggest thrill for me is working some of the weak Moscow and Asiatic Russians who have NEVER worked the USA on 75M voice. Many have very modest stations and are absolutely thrilled to do it. They sometimes stutter and fall over themselves, they get so excited... Grin

For those with the room, I think the best receiving antenna for 75M is a pair of side by side beverages spaced 180' apart, 600' long, 7' high, and terminated with a ~400-600 ohm non-inductive resistor at the far end to give it a uni-directional pattern. I use that system here. Steve sent me some modelings of it and it's a tremendous pattern, sharp and clean. Next, probably a single beverage at 600' long. Then for limited room, use a pair of phased K9AY loops and then a single K9AY loop.  Though, a high, well tuned Yago or 2 el quad will often receive as well or better than the Bev antenna alone. The f-b and side rejection is what counts, as well as low angle take-off angle.  (The 600' Bev also has a low take-off angle of about 28 degrees or so, even tho it is only 7' high.)

Transmitting antennas for 75M, like single verticals and dipoles are often very noisy on receive. You have atmospheric noise from many directions.  But when you add more elements to them, like a vertical 4-square or Yagi or phased dipoles, they come to life and compete well with the specialized receiving antennas just mentioned.  The other night while receiving in diversity, I found early on the Beverages received louder, but later the Quads were dominant. The diversity system evened it out for me.

Greater height can also lower the take-off angle of the transmit antennas mentioned for better DX receiving, of course. But height is NOT needed for a Beverage or K9AY. In fact, Steve sent me a model of a short 200' long Beverage only 3' off the ground that performed quite well!  Maybe he will post some models if anyone is interested in pursuing them.

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »

Hello Henk,

Yes, I've seen some of your reports over the years. That's a great service for us - to figure out our audio levels and effectiveness for DX contacts... tnx!
I plan to do some AM operations down on 3705 to talk with your Euro group soon. I need to add a shorting stub to my NE 2el Quad to tune the reflector down there. Right now it is optimized to go from 3770 to 3900. If I go below 3770 without retuning the reflector, it will beam to California rather than Europe... :-)
Tom, K1JJ

Tom, thanks for you info!!
But... but we often have the last weeks many SSB on 3705.
Therefore I have been not on air during a long time....
Often strong signals from the east (Russian?) around 3705.
Ofcourse we can make a 'cross-band-qso'.
I did 'such' qso for example with Ken and Brend.
Mostly every morning I listen between 06.20 - 06.55 (our time mornings).
Just before I go to my work (on my bike).
When I hear USA AM around 3885 I enjoy, because no SSB on that freq.
And Tom, AM can sounding so good.....(you know!).
When you (USA-ers) talk not to fast, I can understand... no problem.
Only big problem (not only for me....) to get clearly the calls or names.
I often asking to mention the calls 'slowly'....
Many times I note the calls on the paper and mailing this to Ken.
Ken (W2DTC) my PR-man knows often the station and tell him the big news...
Henk in Dokkum have heard you Cheesy
I can tell you Tom, I have heard many, many stations in AM from the USA.
See: www.qrz.com then pe1mph

Oke Tom, good DX and big greetings to all AM LOVERS,

Henk, PE1MPH
Dokkum, The Netherlands
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 01:50:31 PM »

What freq were you guys on?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 01:58:08 PM »

Was 3705 clear this morning? The K5D expedition has been using that frequency recently work work EU QSX. Earlier that band was in excellent shape. I heard many huge signals out of Europe and there was no noise here. Many Europeans working the west coast of the USA. It would have been a good morning to work AM on 3705!  Sorry I missed it.

Hello Henk,

Yes, I've seen some of your reports over the years. That's a great service for us - to figure out our audio levels and effectiveness for DX contacts... tnx!
Tom, K1JJ

Tom, thanks for you info!!
But... but we often have the last weeks many SSB on 3705.
Therefore I have been not on air during a long time....
Often strong signals from the east (Russian?) around 3705.
Ofcourse we can make a 'cross-band-qso'.
I did 'such' qso for example with Ken and Brend.
Mostly every morning I listen between 06.20 - 06.55 (our time mornings).
Just before I go to my work (on my bike).
When I hear USA AM around 3885 I enjoy, because no SSB on that freq.
And Tom, AM can sounding so good.....(you know!).
When you (USA-ers) talk not to fast, I can understand... no problem.
Only big problem (not only for me....) to get clearly the calls or names.
I often asking to mention the calls 'slowly'....
Many times I note the calls on the paper and mailing this to Ken.
Ken (W2DTC) my PR-man knows often the station and tell him the big news...
Henk in Dokkum have heard you Cheesy
I can tell you Tom, I have heard many, many stations in AM from the USA.
See: www.qrz.com then pe1mph

Oke Tom, good DX and big greetings to all AM LOVERS,

Henk, PE1MPH
Dokkum, The Netherlands

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 01:58:29 PM »

3795 kHz.

What freq were you guys on?
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 06:37:43 PM »

For anyone interested, here's the horizontal and vertical patterns of a single 600' beverage compared to a pair side by side, spaced 180' apart.  Both are 7' above the ground and terminated.

The red plot is the pair of Bevs (fed in phase) and the black is the single Bev.  Notice how the pair has less side lobes, thus less noise off the sides. The horizontal pattern of the two is sharper, though the vertical pattern stays the same since we are only stacking horizontally. The take-off angle is about 25 degrees, almost perfect for low angle DX on 75M.  These would make great receiving antennas for coast to coast AM work as well.

Notice these radiation patterns look as good as any 6 element Yagi at 1/2 wavelength above ground.   Beverages are tremendous receiving antennas for the low bands considering what it would cost in time and money to put up its transmitting counterpart.

Thanks to Steve/HUZ for making these models available.

T

* 80M_Bev_600'_HorizPattern.jpg (192.2 KB, 604x603 - viewed 466 times.)

* 80M_600'Bev_VertPattern.jpg (198.29 KB, 604x603 - viewed 465 times.)

K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 08:00:17 PM »

Hi Tom,  Steve,  all ..

Listened to you guys for about hours running EU in Tag-Team fashion  ('twas a rainy/windy night).  Sounded like a lotta fun !   Here in CA,  our EU opening happens much later.  Think that I quit listening at about 1:00 AM ES,  and the pile was still going strong.  It is a kick listening to what FB antennas can do.

From DXScape DX spotting Database:        http://www.dxscape.com/index.html

K1JJ          09/02/22 0649Z   3795.0 59 in SP8                       SQ8JLA   
K1JJ          09/02/22 0605Z   3795.0 with company wking europe       IZ2MGN   
K1JJ          09/02/22 0436Z   3795.0 59 ++ in YO                     YO8TK     

Conditions on 75/80 have been FB in the past three weeks or so.

73,  Have Fun       Vic
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 08:06:18 PM »

Listening around 3795 most of this evening...304s tuned up.

A simple prayer:
"Thank you, Harris, for the BC-5 modulation transformer, and thank you, Peter Dahl, for the 1985 tape-wound BC-1 plate supply transformer..And thank you, Eimac for the Nonex-Pyrex glass quad triode 304 radar modulator.."
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 08:51:14 PM »

WOW!
R4 copy on a PA0 on about 3798 SSB.
6:50 PM MST.
I have never heard Europe here on 75 before.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2009, 09:17:14 PM »

WOW!

HA HA!   Glad you're hearing so well out there, Bill. With that 2-half waves in phase at 140' high, you will do very well. Add a set of end to end reflectors behind it and you'll be a channelmaster!  A 30 to 40' piece of alum irrigation pipe suspended at the top wud make a great boom support to hang the inv vees.
Then string the Bev NNE on that big property of yours, caw mawn.

Keep listening to get used to the band. Try some calls to see what you can work. You should be able to work the UK stations many nights during the winter.  The Russians, MidEast and others will be more selective.

I usually don't get on much in the week, but this weekend I'll be sure to look for you and set something up. It's always a good lure to have a guy on freq from the west for the Euros to stretch for. We'll do it again Fri or Sat night.

** Vic/K6IC -  I'm surprised you were hearing us so well out in Calif.  It's flattering you would take the time to listen for as long as you did to the action. Did you hear any of the Europeans at that time?

Later on we switched west for the ZL station and let a Calif station in there to work him too.  So we could have talked. Next time break in and we'll see if we can get you to make a few contacts into Eur.

I did hear a guy on from Senegal, (central)  Africa tonight. 6V7P... pretty rare.  What a huge pileup from USA and Europe.

Tonight I'm working on the new amp, so no radio TX, just listening.

Later -

T

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2009, 11:26:53 PM »

When you can hear EU on SSB, it's probably good for east coast AM action!

Dino, WA1GFZ works the EU stations often from his Tuscon location. He has some phased vertical and no special receive antenna. With your TX antenna, and IIRC, you have a beverage, you could work EU too. Many of those guys get pretty fired up when the 6, 7 and 0 land stations show up. You would be the DX! HA.

OE6MBG was working the west coast of the USA last night.  The MP3 at the link below shows how loud he was when I worked him.

http://www.amwindow.org/misc/mp3/oe6mbg23feb090525z3793.mp3

WOW!
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2009, 11:39:06 PM »

It works well on both 160 and 80 and even shows nice F/B on the high end of the broadcast band.

Steve...the K9AY really has no lower frequency limit on directivity as long as the transformer works at the lower frequencies. The large scale K9AY in use here for 500 and 137 kHz functions just as well (20 - 25 dB F/B) at 60 kHz, 24 kHz and below.

Consider that a two wavelength long beverage on 137 kHz (roughly equivalent to 600' on 3.5 MHz) would be about 2.7 miles long!

http://www.w1vd.com/k9ay11.pdf

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2009, 11:48:58 PM »

Never tried mine that low. Makes sense though. I guess the only thing that changes is the gain/output. What sort of preamp do you need at that frequency? I see yours is about twice a large as the "standard" model. How high in frequency does the pattern hold?

It works well on both 160 and 80 and even shows nice F/B on the high end of the broadcast band.

Steve...the K9AY really has no lower frequency limit on directivity as long as the transformer works at the lower frequencies. The large scale K9AY in use here for 500 and 137 kHz functions just as well (20 - 25 dB F/B) at 60 kHz, 24 kHz and below.

Consider that a two wavelength long beverage on 137 kHz (roughly equivalent to 600' on 3.5 MHz) would be about 2.7 miles long!

http://www.w1vd.com/k9ay11.pdf

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 12:02:19 AM »

Some info on the K9AY at HUZ Radio. Scroll down towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.amwindow.org/misc/lakehouse/antennas.htm
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 10:28:52 AM »

Steve...the pattern of a loop antenna falls apart as it approaches 1/8 wavelength. With the BIG K9AY that's 820 kHz. Have local 610 and a 1080 kHz in line with the antenna. 610 shows just about 20 dB F/B but 1080 is down to around 6 dB F/B.

I've always wanted to try a two mile beverage on 137 kHz. Thought about doing it (temporary setup) up at the lake but run the risk of snagging a snowmobile or two.

Preamplifier info:

http://www.w1vd.com/LFMFpreamplifier.pdf

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2009, 10:44:35 AM »

Good stuff. Thanks Jay.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2009, 09:07:08 PM »

Hey Tom,

First,   my existing remote station is modest,   so,  it takes very good conditions for me to work EU on 75/80 M.  We do get a Long Path opening some Winter mornings,  which can be fun.   When I get a chance to develop the ridge portion of the property,   things should be better.

The current location is very quiet,  as it is very low density,  and miles off-grid.  Liightning static can be significant,  so an RX antenna would help a lot.

Tom,   Steve was a bit louder than you,  which made sense,  as Steve's antenna was a DP @ 75 feet,  and I assume was bidirectional.

I heard only a few of the stations calling,   with 3 exceptions.   The few that I heard were just muffled whispers.   The ZS,  however,   was great copy (this is a much easier path here).

Think that I will not be breaking-in any time soon.  Do enjoy listening to someone running a pile.  Especially nice when it is someone that I am kinna acquainted with.  Am sure that it is a real kick to hear the pile,  and have them calling you(z) !   Am more of a DXer than anything else,  but need to go to 20 M CW to get a pile of weak EU stations calling -- it is a kick,  and as you said,  there are layers,  and some of them seem happy to work a "6" !

73  Have fun,   and looks like you guys have inspired some more low-band DXers.     Vic
WB2YGF
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2009, 10:39:24 PM »

I hear ZS6CCY, South Africa, on 3799 right now.  S8 on my G5RV.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cherokeehillfarm/id4.html
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2009, 10:44:20 PM »

Yea, Bill straps. He is running a nice four square array.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015