The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:54:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recording of Bob/ZM, Steve/HUZ and Tom/JJ working Europe - Pileup on 75M  (Read 26147 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2009, 10:56:35 PM »

Hey Tom,

First,   my existing remote station is modest,   so,  it takes very good conditions for me to work EU on 75/80 M.  We do get a Long Path opening some Winter mornings,  which can be fun.   When I get a chance to develop the ridge portion of the property,   things should be better.

The current location is very quiet,  as it is very low density,  and miles off-grid.  Liightning static can be significant,  so an RX antenna would help a lot.

Tom,   Steve was a bit louder than you,  which made sense,  as Steve's antenna was a DP @ 75 feet,  and I assume was bidirectional.

I heard only a few of the stations calling,   with 3 exceptions.   The few that I heard were just muffled whispers.   The ZS,  however,   was great copy (this is a much easier path here).

Think that I will not be breaking-in any time soon.  Do enjoy listening to someone running a pile.  Especially nice when it is someone that I am kinna acquainted with.  Am sure that it is a real kick to hear the pile,  and have them calling you(z) !   Am more of a DXer than anything else,  but need to go to 20 M CW to get a pile of weak EU stations calling -- it is a kick,  and as you said,  there are layers,  and some of them seem happy to work a "6" !

73  Have fun,   and looks like you guys have inspired some more low-band DXers.     Vic

Sounds like you've been playing the DXing game for a while and know the score, Vic!

Yes, running a pileup is a thrill. Being that the USA is not a very rare contact, it takes other things to get them going. Working across the pond on 75M and looking especially for the weaker DX stations is the nitche and lure.  I try to focus on pulling out the DX guys who rarely work the USA, and there's plenty on 75M.

Over the years there's been a number of AMers who've been turned on to working DX in the 75M window. When some get a taste of it, they get bit hard... :-)    But it does take the effort to put up a good receiving antenna and work on the receiving skills. If someone tries to do it with a low dipole for both TX and RX, they usually get bored quickly and go away.  Just like racing cars, when someone starts to develop an edge on the field, it becomes more fun and challenging to catch up with the top dogs.  Steve, Bob and I are making an effort to get guys interested as much as possible. The more the merrier.

Good on your 20M CW activities. That is really the premier DX band.  I put up a pair of stacked homebrew 20M Yagis and have made only about 10 contacts so far for testing - in six years. Works like a bomb into Eur and stateside. Gotta get on there more. They're wide spaced, at 50' and 100' high  -  300 pounds each on 60' booms, fed in phase. They're mounted on a 190' self-supporting tower. I hope to get up there more often as the band opens up again.  Here's a coupla shots below. The pics are deceiving - they are HUGE!  I remember one day Steve/HUZ, Gary/INR, John/JN and I struggled to carry each one about 30' to get them ready to raise. We ended up tripping and almost dropping one of them...  I designed and built them too strapping, but they held up well in the ice storms...  The elements are all floating on fiberglass - no direct connections to the boom for more tuning/modeling  accuracy.

Hope to catch ya on soon, OM.

Tom, K1JJ

* Ant-Rigs- 10-18-06 015.jpg (341.59 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 384 times.)

* Ant-Rigs- 10-18-06 014.jpg (338.3 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 419 times.)

* Ant-Rigs- 10-18-06 037.jpg (328.24 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 430 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »

WOW,  those 6 el 20's sure look nice !  They should play well.  20 is getting better,  now that we are out of the Winter doldrums.

The low bands are the real challenge,  and would like to play there.   Hope to have something better for next season.

C U on the bands ... We've worked on 75 SSB,  and on 10 M AM.  On 10,  you had the stack of 3ea C3's -- this had to be 8 or so years ago.

73  and we will be reading the mail in the West.    Vic
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2009, 11:59:52 PM »

Thanks, Vic.

Yes, I seem to remember working you back on 10M when the last cycle was at its peak.

Here's a shot (bottom) of the 10M system we worked you on back then...

Check my previous post - I reposted  the pics from a better camera - forgot I had them...

(I'm in a picture posting mood tonight... :-) )

Take care -

Tom, K1JJ

* Ant-Rigs- 10-18-06 028.jpg (328.86 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 397 times.)

* Ant-Rigs- 10-18-06 032.jpg (334.17 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 401 times.)

* Ant-Rigs- 10-18-06 012A.JPG (614.3 KB, 960x1280 - viewed 364 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2009, 08:34:47 PM »

Steve/WB3HUZ and I held court for FIVE hours..............

Well done, guys!  It was great hearing the pileup calling you.

MrMike

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2009, 10:55:55 PM »

Hey, you got one of those 1x2 DX calls. When are we gonna here you in there?   Grin

Steve/WB3HUZ and I held court for FIVE hours..............

Well done, guys!  It was great hearing the pileup calling you.

MrMike

K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2009, 01:03:35 PM »

Just to drag out this thread a bit more ..

Yes it is great to hear just how the pile sounds from the other side.  Something that we rarely hear.

Would also be nice to see just how the  pile sounds to you guys on this side as well,  but,  Tom Steve and others in these tag-teams are probably too modest to do that.  It would be a kick to hear,  tho.

Sorry that I missed Tom's alter-egos.  Jacque is a kick !

Now for the derailment of the thread :

So Tom,  you seem to have a number of LARGE towers,  and build a lotta antennas.

1.  What towers are you using ? ...  the one with the 20 M HB antenna stack on it,  for example ?

2.  What tower(s) are  used for UR  Quad Array(s) @ 190-feet ?

3.  How do you find the time to do ALL of this work ?

That 6M stackk is amazing ... would take me years just to plan something like that !   Know that having a lot of experience doing this kind of work does help.

These questions have been rattleing around in my head for some time,  could probably have PMed you,  but perhaps there are others here who have similar wonderments.

73    Vic
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2009, 02:10:30 PM »

Tom is independently wealthy (made money holding get rich in real estate seminars) and never sleeps.

I'll make a recording or two this weekend so you can hear how EU sounds on the East Coast. BTW, worked Lebanon last night.
pe1mph

pe1mph AM from Holland

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2009, 06:24:58 PM »

NOW!

00.00 hour by me (The Netherlands)
I hear AM from USA on 3885.
Station with the call W2NBC and W2DTC.
I hear more, but they are weak...

Gretings,

PE1MPH Cheesy
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2009, 07:06:48 PM »

Henk,

Guy, W1FRM will get a kick outa hearing he made it into Europe on AM this early in the evening!  He usually runs a modest 100W or less at this time of the day.

Vic:

The two 190'ers are retired self supporting AM broadcash towers I got real cheap. Two others are guyed Rohn 45's that were used and taken down for free from commercial installations.  One 150' guyed Rohn I installed new in 1986.

I work rather fast when I build stuff. I focus 100% and don't waste time, so most projects get knocked out quickly. I put up most all the antennas myself, without help, except for certain exceptions.  Not having to depend on others for help certainly speeds things up. It's amazing how much you can accomplish yourself if you plan it out well.

The aluminum for the Yagis came from scrap yards at about $1 / pound before prices took off.  What you are seeing in the pics is about 20 years of evolution at this QTH. There are at least three times as many antennas that I have tested and taken down to recycle into new antennas. Back in 1987 I went through an 18,000'  roll of antenna wire trying every antenna config I could think of on my 150' tower. It took about 2 years to go thru it all and needed more wire... Grin

At this point I've not changed any antennas in maybe three years and haven't lost any either from ice, winds, etc. So, guess I'm satisfied with the installation and will focus more on the shack and sailing in the future.

I'll look to make some pileup recordings too. Haven't ever done it and it would be a scream to post some here.

Thanks for the interest, Vic!

Tom, K1JJ

K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »

Hi Steve,  Tom,

RE Seminars !  Teriffic !

Would love to hear some of the pile-up recordings from UR side(s).  Thanks.

And,  Tom,  thanks for the tower?antenna  info.   Still amazin'  to me.

73  Thanks & Have Fun.       Vic
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »

Tom and I got on in the DX Window again last night. A few of the pile-ups included below.

* g4gmw28feb090531z3800.mp3 (603.4 KB - downloaded 256 times.)
* f6ezr28feb090538z3800.mp3 (411.24 KB - downloaded 240 times.)
* i7wl28feb090555z3800.mp3 (510.16 KB - downloaded 251 times.)
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 12:16:49 AM »

Hi Steve,  Tom,

Heard you guys in there last night (here) for a good long time.   Am currently in town,  and the noise is S9 here -- swithcing gizmos,  lighting,  and TV sets sure tore up the band.  Heard none of the stations that U guys were working.

Thank you very much Steve,  for posting the MP3's of the piles.  Boy those EU signals sure are loud there !

73  Have Fun,  and thanks again.   Vic
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 12:40:21 AM »

Great recordings, Steve!

It sounds like bedlam.

Steve, Bob/ZM and I are in there again tonight. Maybe Steve will post a few more.

We're having too much fun tonight.

Too bad about the QRN there, Vic.

Later -

T

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 09:26:28 PM »

Lots of fun again last night.

Not all the EU sigs are loud. Here's a 10 watter from the UK. He was in the noise on the dipole, but Q5 on the Beverage and K9AY.

* m3waz28feb090412z3800.mp3 (312.3 KB - downloaded 256 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »

And then the lead singer of U2 showed up.

* 9a3nq28feb090451z3800.mp3 (1399.05 KB - downloaded 233 times.)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2009, 10:32:18 PM »

I work rather fast when I build stuff. I focus 100% and don't waste time, so most projects get knocked out quickly.

uuhhhhh....this focusing 100% you speak of.....can I borrow a cup of it, please?  Undecided

wife sez I focus on 10 things at a time and give each little tasklet about 25% in turn.  Cry I have no doubt she's right.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »

So is Hawaii. Here's KH7XS last night.

http://www.amwindow.org/misc/mp3/kh7xs3mar090636z3790.mp3

Thank you very much Steve,  for posting the MP3's of the piles.  Boy those EU signals sure are loud there !

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 09:03:27 PM »

JJ straps. What's new?

* tomstraps.mp3 (294.02 KB - downloaded 232 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 09:20:11 PM »

I'll bet that was Brentina  goofing on us with his fake transvestite voice...    Grin

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009, 09:49:45 PM »

Could be. But Brentina was never that loud.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2009, 09:56:54 PM »

Buddly working the DX!

* wd8bil5maR092320z3799.mp3 (894.42 KB - downloaded 238 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 11:00:34 AM »

Buddly being swarmed by the sounds at the end there.

TNX OM for bringing this thread back up to the surface. Finally got to listen to the clips with the new 'net connection. Youse guys really boom in over there. Makes me wanna break out the FRC-93 or the 380. Probably should get the ants up first.

So Tom is now Jacques and no longer Fabio? Guess that would make him Jacques LeVu?  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2009, 10:01:59 PM »

Might be Pepe LePew next time!

Once you get the 'tenners up you can jump in. It's a nice diversion. Never a dull moment when Jacque shows up.

* pa0gmw3mar092307z3797.mp3 (1728.12 KB - downloaded 197 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2009, 12:19:05 AM »

Nice recording, especially working the EW.

Are you recording yourself into a mike rather than ssb off the RX?  Sounds much better that way.  RF overload is always a problem otherwise.

T

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2009, 04:45:22 PM »

Might be Pepe LePew next time!

Or perhaps the notorious Jacques LePhlegm?

Once you get the 'tenners up you can jump in. It's a nice diversion. Never a dull moment when Jacque shows up.

It's amazing how good you guys sound on SSB, as well as the strapping sigs. Brings back a lot of memories from the DX days of the 80s. I'm planning to get there early enough Thursday so that we can get some good radio time in at your FB station.

I'd forgotten about the Fabio card and the gay 6m crowd, PT cruisers, and the rest...  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015