The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:13:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: XE Heavy Metal Rally  (Read 6620 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« on: December 14, 2008, 01:17:16 PM »

Our friends south of the border are having a Heavy Metal Rally in March. Consider participating for some cross-border and DX operations!

Contest: Heavy Metal Rally Contest

Presented by: Radio Club Querétaro, A.C. XE1RCQ

Objective: To contact as many amateur stations as possible using vintage radios on AM and CW modes.

Starts: 00:00 UTC March 14, 2009.

Ends: 23:59 March 14, 2009 (24 hrs.)

All amateur operators will be eligible to participate including SWLs

1. All participants must use 100% valves radios, however there is a category to allow use of modern
radios. Only two modes of operation allowed: AM and CW.

2. To enter on vintage category, participants must send an email at xe1rcq@prodigy.net.mx with:

Picture of the radio to be used and a brief description of the station.

3. Exchange: All vintage stations must add a letter V on RST. Example: XE1RCQ 59 V001. Stations
in Modern category do not need to send the letter V.

4. The contest call will be: In AM: "CQ Heavy Metal Contest" and "CQ HM Test" for CW

5. Operating frequencies: All contesters must meet their national regulations about the use of AM
and CW.

6. Operating modes: AM and CW only.

7. Multiplier: one for each contacted station on different band and DXCC Entity.

8. One call sign allowed to transmit at the same time and same mode.

9. Categories: Vintage and Modern. No power limit

9.2.0 Single Operator

9.2.1 Club with a maximum of 5 registered amateur operators.

10. It is allowed to enter on both categories, by sending a separate log for each one. Note point #8

11. Logs must be on Cabrillo format and must contain final score sheet.

12. Deadline: All entries must be postmarked NO LATER than April 4, 2009. And the logs must be
sent to: xe1rcq@prodigy.net.mx. The subject must be the entrant‚s call sign and category. Paper
logs will be accepted at: P.O. BOX 632. C.P. 76000, Queretaro, Qro. Mexico.

13. Final results will be published on the RCQ‚s Web page (www.xe1rcq.org) and different
communication bulletins by September 2009.

14. Score

14.2.1 Everyone can work everyone.
   14.2.2 2 points to Vintage-Vintage contact.
   14.2.3 1 point for Vintage-Modern contact.
   14.2.4 5 point for contact with the official station XE1RCQ
   14.2.5 Modern-Modern contact are not valid.

*** Vintage equipment: , Viking, Johnson, Hallicrafters, Drake, etc. ***

15. Prize to the first place on each category.

16. Electronic Diploma for all participants with a minimum of 50 points

17. Actions and decisions of the Heavy Metal Rally contest committee are official and final.

XE1YZY
Contest Manager
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 09:54:29 PM »

ah what a mess, TX are tube, RX are SS!! my station is such a bastage

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ve6pg

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 10:41:18 PM »

...steve...what are the AM and CW areas guys in XE can operate?...i can use both, without any limits here...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
ab3al
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 11:22:21 PM »

breaker ocho nueve breacher ocho nueve for a radio check senior..

couldnt resist
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 09:45:14 AM »

9. Categories: Vintage and Modern. No power limit

What a great idea.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2008, 08:15:22 PM »

According to the rally sponsors:

We will use those according to IARU region 2 for AM http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html

If there are requests on Region 1 will move to those frequencies also.

CW the usual frequencies on each band.

Hope this helps.

...steve...what are the AM and CW areas guys in XE can operate?...i can use both, without any limits here...

..sk..
ve6pg

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 10:52:35 PM »

..thanks steve, ...news to me though, that there is an IARU AM bandplan...i guess no action on 3733, 3725, 3705 etc...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
xe1yzy

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 10:51:02 PM »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for this post, and also for your support to promote our XE Heavy Metal Rally, I guess 40 meters its the only "non AM phone" band available, no problem on 75, 20,15 and 10 meters...

We are trying to encourage the use and care of old rigs and AM in Mexico, so many talented OM are still arround, and many old irons are still in the shadows, waiting for be "on the air" again.

Best regards to all,

73 s Pedro XE1YZY

TVI WHAT TVI?
xe1yzy

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »

Hello guys, well today is the day!

Hope we can make a lot of QSO's, we want to promote the use of AM in Mexico, but also the international friendship, we are going to be active also in CW, this mode is going to be operated by XE1MM Masao Iriyama, one of the best CW operators in the country.

we greatly apprecieted you participation, go to the contest with what you have in the shack, everybody is welcome!

USA to USA, USA to Canada, USA to Mexico, and USA to rest of the world are valid contacts!

We are having some problems with our home page, please try www.xe1rcq.info for any other information

Thanks to all, and have a nice weekend

Pedro Arnaud / XE1YZY

TVI WHAT TVI?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2009, 03:04:31 PM »

Since we're on a little 40-meter AM kick lately, what would be some good frequencies?

Hello guys, well today is the day!

Hope we can make a lot of QSO's, we want to promote the use of AM in Mexico, but also the international friendship, we are going to be active also in CW, this mode is going to be operated by XE1MM Masao Iriyama, one of the best CW operators in the country.

we greatly apprecieted you participation, go to the contest with what you have in the shack, everybody is welcome!

USA to USA, USA to Canada, USA to Mexico, and USA to rest of the world are valid contacts!

We are having some problems with our home page, please try www.xe1rcq.info for any other information

Thanks to all, and have a nice weekend

Pedro Arnaud / XE1YZY
xe1yzy

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 03:57:28 PM »

Steve

We can work the same AM Frecuencies that you guys use on 20, 40, and 80 Meters. tonight we start to call arround 3.885 Mhz.

RGDS

TVI WHAT TVI?
WB2YGF
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 08:25:26 AM »

So what happened with the XE rally?  Any contacts made?  I listened a bit but didn't hear anything.

IMHO, for the future, it would help if there were SPECIFIC recommended frequencies for each band  (+/- for QRM of course).

Anyway....Hope everyone down there had a good time.

John
KL7OF

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 09:54:29 AM »

I made around 30 contacts in that  24 hr period and turned in a log....All contacts were USA to USA except for Ve7Khz..20 meters was very busy around 14286 and I only made one contact there..I called cq heavy metal on 40 with no takers...Worked the usual suspects on 75 and 160...Never did hear any AM from Mexico....Last Mexican AM station I worked was a few years ago on 10 meters..
xe1yzy

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2009, 03:54:58 PM »

Hello Guys...

Unfortunatly the conditions was bad that weekend, however we work a lot of stations from USA, Canada, and Central America  in CW, and arround 42 AM Contacts in Mexico, mostly stations using modern rigs, but for some people was the first time that they use this mode!

We spend a great time doing this contest, and the results was very good for a first time, the main AM transmitter was a Viking Valiant, and the receiver was a Collins 51J4, for CW, we use a KWM2A, and a Heathkit SB 220 for a full CW Gallon.

Our Radio Club President Alex XE1EE, make a video for youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g92qBRTus0w

Thanks a lot to all!

Pedro XE1YZY

TVI WHAT TVI?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015