The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:53:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working Canditions  (Read 87732 times)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #75 on: July 27, 2011, 11:15:53 AM »

With a good break-in group, If you have the right miscreants in the group, all it takes is the right comment at the right time and the QSO implodes into a massive free for all! Kinda like a scenario from the old computer game - "Doom"!  (Where you have to get through a whole room full of "monsters" and you put one shot over their head and they all kill each other)

All hell breaks loose and then the qso just explodes. Then the fun usually begins as the qso digresses into "another night in the trenches". By then I am usually ROTFLMAO! ! ! !  

But, you know, everyone had a lot of fun! !  (Including myself!)  Grin  Grin

Typically a few years ago a QSO would start on or about 3.885 just around dinner time. A few people in a round table. Then as the group started getting big, someone would suggest "the group's getting big, why dont we go break-in?" Then you would get a huge group doing break-in till the later hours. As the croud was thinning out and people were leaving for bed, it would slowly return back to a "somewhat" orderly roundtable format. Usually ending up in the wee hours as "the late night Frank & Gary show" or "The dead brain cell net", and rolling on till way way into the wee hours with different ones popping in from all over from time to time.

That was some fun operating.

My wife enjoyed listening to the carrying on of the break-in group so much that it prompted her to get a general ticket! ! !

The real shame of it all is that poor operating conditions, jamming, qwerming, and infighting basically brought it to an end.  

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: July 27, 2011, 11:42:39 AM »

I have very little tolerance for amateurs who use the airwaves for their own personal stage of ramble or comedic nonsense or tend to act like idiots whenever they're on the air. My fun in the amateur radio arena can be measured in many ways. Zero tolerance for these types of people makes that go a long way.

Pete, I thought  personal attacks were not allowed here. You described my operating skills or non skills right down to where the tire meets the road. That said,I wonder if there is a place where I can hide my shame Cry Cry Cry Cry

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2011, 01:12:22 PM »

I have very little tolerance for amateurs who use the airwaves for their own personal stage of ramble or comedic nonsense or tend to act like idiots whenever they're on the air. My fun in the amateur radio arena can be measured in many ways. Zero tolerance for these types of people makes that go a long way.

Pete, I thought  personal attacks were not allowed here. You described my operating skills or non skills right down to where the tire meets the road. That said,I wonder if there is a place where I can hide may shame Cry Cry Cry Cry

TO THE Hamster Hall of Shame!!!!

Fred KC4MOP
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #78 on: July 27, 2011, 01:55:27 PM »

Pete, I thought  personal attacks were not allowed here. You described my operating skills or non skills right down to where the tire meets the road. That said,I wonder if there is a place where I can hide may shame Cry Cry Cry Cry

TO THE Hamster Hall of Shame!!!!

Hamster Hall of Shame

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #79 on: July 27, 2011, 10:08:10 PM »

Pete, for Pete's sake, lighten up friend!  I can't help but notice lately how many of your posts are defensive.  Tolerance goes a long way towards personal happiness, especially when dealing with a diverse population such as amateur radio operators.

AMI#1684
Burt
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2011, 10:39:31 PM »

On AM I just say: "The call here is KB3AHE, and my name is Frank."
"the rig here is a Homebrew 4-1000 and the receiver dujour is xxxx"
And then carry on the QSO as if they are sitting in the room with me.

Why the hell bother with all of all of that "hamspeak" crap when you are on phone.
Especially if signals are big and the copy is good.

To me, "operating conditions" I would expect to hear something like
"got a 30 over noise level and 40 over static crashes"

If you do not like "hamspeak" why say, the call HERE is", does it change when you go THERE?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #81 on: July 28, 2011, 02:24:45 AM »

Pete, for Pete's sake, lighten up friend!  I can't help but notice lately how many of your posts are defensive.  Tolerance goes a long way towards personal happiness, especially when dealing with a diverse population such as amateur radio operators.

Been enjoying personal happiness in the amateur radio arena for a long time. However, amateurs who act childish, foolish or moronic on the air will never get a "thumbs up" from me.  No "thumbs up" either for those amateurs who use amateur forums for their personal soap-box agenda as well as those amateurs who take to the air for their own personal gratification at the expense of others. Clowns should be in a circus not on our amateur radio bands.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #82 on: July 28, 2011, 02:43:18 AM »

I agree Pete.  Of course a worthy cause to many may seem to be someone on a "personal soapbox" to others.   If not forums, then where?

AMI#1684
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #83 on: July 28, 2011, 07:59:31 AM »

"the rig here is a Homebrew 4-1000 and the receiver dujour is xxxx"
And then carry on the QSO as if they are sitting in the room with me.

Why the hell bother with all of all of that "hamspeak" crap when you are on phone.
Especially if signals are big and the copy is good.

To me, "operating conditions" I would expect to hear something like
"got a 30 over noise level and 40 over static crashes"

If you do not like "hamspeak" why say, the call HERE is", does it change when you go THERE?
But if you go " THERE",  you'll still be "HERE".   Grin

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2011, 08:38:04 AM »

Everywhere you go, THERE you ARE!

AMI#1684
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2011, 08:59:18 AM »

Everywhere you go, THERE you ARE!

This is getting hard to follow.....geeesh

Fred KC4MOP
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2011, 09:08:13 AM »

Just remember, "Where ever you are,,,,,,,you're there!"  Wink

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2011, 09:22:00 AM »

Burt,
       Obviously, you have never been in QSO with me or even listened to me operate.
I will usually say "the call here is" or simply "the call is" and chase it with my first name.

You also obviously haven't listened to many (if any) of the AMers, most pretty much talk like they are sitting in the room with you. You obviously must hang out with sidebanders (which are a lower form of life). But.................If you are so offended just spin the VFO dial, or even better yet, the on/off switch. This is definately one time you arent going to be able to "stir the pot" with your sarcasm.

We do have fun on the air and anyone is welcome to join us. Most of us are like a big extended family, and that is something that many of the other groups resent.

As far as the here / there thing goes................. I give thanks everyday that I am still "here" because a year ago back in december I was "there" and somehow by the grace of God was able to make it back "here".

And you know................. It's good to be here! !  Wink  Wink

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2011, 09:55:47 AM »

I'll talk the way I want to. If you don't like it there's the door!

And Frank, If you don't where you're going you may end up somewhere else!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2011, 10:01:36 AM »

Hmmmmm......................

I've left, and gone to find myself.
I dont know if I'm coming or going.
If I should return before I get back,
please ask me to stay................

Grin  Grin  Grin

You know, kinda like stopping in to see what condition your condition is in..............

Grin  Grin  Grin

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2011, 12:30:53 PM »

You think a Johnson Kilowatt Matchbox is a "2.4 KW Tuner"

You refer to a DX 60 or a Yeasu FT 101-E as  a "Boat Anchor"

You refer to a rig like the Yaesu FT-901, Kenwood TS-820 or Drake TR-7 as "vintage" or "antique".

You refer to one's name as the "first personal" or just "personal".

You end a QSO with "Seventy-Thirds" or just "Threes".

You try to break into an ongoing QSO by shouting "Contact".

You finish an AM transmission in a QSO that is NOT operating fast break-in, and just drop the carrier with no prior warning like a callsign or saying "over", "back to you", "go ahead", etc., leaving the other operator(s) wondering if you lost power or your rig crapped out.

You pronounce QRZ.com as "CUE ARE ZEE dot com"

You "laugh" on phone by saying "High High" or worse still, "Aitch Eye".

You tell someone with a strapping signal he is "wall to wall, treetop tall".

You refer to switching over to AM  as "Going to the AM side".

You "ratchet-jaw", not ragchew.

You refer to a microphone with a built in preamp as a "Power Mic"

You try to whistle up your RF power level when running FM.

You insert "there" between every two or three words in your conversation.

You refer to the phone bands as the "SSB bands".

You refer to your home station as a 'base station'.

You call your transmitter or transceiver a "radio" instead of a "rig".

You believe the reflected power returns back to your final and makes the tubes run red.

You refer to standing wave ratio as "SWRs" [plural]

You use the word "dot" in decimal fractions instead of "point".

You call a feedline jack, usually a UHF female on the back of the rig, the "antenna port".

You report renewed sunspot activity when it is only sporadic E.

Your idea of calling CQ is to just say your call, then pause.

You use "QRZ?" in place of "CQ."

You test by uttering "audio, audio, aaaaaaudio".

You operate SSB using VOX, and make "aaaah" sounds between words to prevent the rig from dropping out of transmit mode.

You try to use VOX while transmitting on AM.

You refer to every RF power amplifier as a "linear" regardless of Class A, B, or C.

You pronounce linear "LEEN-YAR"

You think the ideal horizontal antenna is the G5RV, and the ideal 160m vertical is 43 ft. tall.

What others can you think of?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2011, 01:18:14 PM »

You believe the reflected power returns back to your final and makes the tubes run red.

Are you telling me this ISN"T TRUE??? Roll Eyes
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2011, 01:24:57 PM »

<snip> "What others can you think of?" <snip>

You use coax for your HF antenna feedline because you heard that ladder line radiates..........................  Grin  Grin

kg8lb
« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2011, 01:31:23 PM »

You use coax for your HF antenna feedline because you heard that ladder line radiates..........................  Grin  Grin

It can't  Huh
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2011, 01:33:04 PM »

...or causes TVI.

Of course that one is now outdated, but widely circulated back in the day when TV was analogue and everyone picked up the signal from a rooftop antenna.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
kg8lb
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »

Well,Burty  yes. When I operate  "here" at my station the call is KG8LB. When I operate "over there" at my buddy Sam's  station the call of course is different. The call there is AA8WL. When Sam is here operating my station, the call is again KG8LB. So he too says the "call here is..." Depends upon just where is here and where here is.

No "thumbs up" either for those amateurs who use amateur forums for their personal soap-box agenda....

Sounds like a soapbox worthy statement  Wink
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2011, 02:04:02 PM »

Are you telling me this ISN"T TRUE???

Wait a minute.... back to this red tube stuff.

How come my tubes stopped turning red when I got my SWRs to go away, Don?
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2011, 02:05:31 PM »

I don't use ladderline cause I don't want no criminals climbing into my winder!
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2011, 02:09:07 PM »

But; but; but, you gotta hold the connector facing up when connecting or switching connections or all of the swrs will spill out of the end of the coax............ Grin  Grin

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2011, 02:13:58 PM »

Wait a minute.... back to this red tube stuff.

Red tube? ? ...........  Grin  Grin  Grin

www.redtube.com            

Pages: 1 ... 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015