The AM Forum
April 20, 2024, 04:09:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working Canditions  (Read 87295 times)
ve6pg

« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2011, 04:18:22 PM »

..i agree with don..but i actually heard  guy on ssb, say he would hold down the ptt (talk button) harder, " so maybe you will hear me better.."...

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Lou W9LRS
Contributing

« Reply #101 on: July 28, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »

Working conditions here:  shorts, a Tee shirt, an 807 and a soft chair ... Hi HI.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #102 on: July 28, 2011, 05:34:40 PM »

Don said, "   You might be a phony operator if... (v2.0)"

Doing a search on this forum for "leenyar" brings up 4 pages of posts.
Doing a search for "swrs" brings up 1 page of posts although at least 3 of them were posted by you repeating some of the same stuff you have on your list.

Also tried several other of your phases with similar results.

I guess by your measure, "might be a phony operator" even resides on this forum.

Of course, other places that might generate localized colorful AM-type expression and word lists, might consider AM'ers to be "phony", "mentally inept", or English language challenged.

See you on the flip side. It's also time for another hammer-down QST vs QEX discussion.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2011, 05:44:23 PM »

Just remember, "Where ever you are,,,,,,,you're there!"  Wink

Bloom where you're planted  Tongue

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5IIA

« Reply #104 on: July 28, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »

about the only thing i can see that i hear over the air that kinda makes me go wtf. is a guy to whistle in the mic... its like i can see them, eyes glued to the watt meter, saying come on baby. 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
Burt
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2011, 10:43:43 PM »

If you do not like "hamspeak" why say, the call HERE is", does it change when you go THERE?

Burt,
       Obviously, you have never been in QSO with me or even listened to me operate.
I will usually say "the call here is" or simply "the call is" and chase it with my first name.

You also obviously haven't listened to many (if any) of the AMers, most pretty much talk like they are sitting in the room with you. You obviously must hang out with sidebanders (which are a lower form of life). But.................If you are so offended just spin the VFO dial, or even better yet, the on/off switch. This is definately one time you arent going to be able to "stir the pot" with your sarcasm.

We do have fun on the air and anyone is welcome to join us. Most of us are like a big extended family, and that is something that many of the other groups resent.

As far as the here / there thing goes................. I give thanks everyday that I am still "here" because a year ago back in december I was "there" and somehow by the grace of God was able to make it back "here".

And you know................. It's good to be here! !  Wink  Wink

I do not know if I worked you on 3885 or 1885 as I never heard of anyone with the name Bacon Slab. I have been on both frequencies plenty, ask WA1HLR. I believe in efficency in communication. Adding "here" or "For ID" are two examples of absolute waste of words. I highly respect most AMers, they are far above the usual breed of boring hams although I do not like the burping and the testing by yelling yea, yea, yea but whatever. I listen more than I transmit as I am different than most hams, that is if I have nothing to say I don't try to say it anyway.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2011, 10:52:18 PM »

You think a Johnson Kilowatt Matchbox is a "2.4 KW Tuner"

You refer to a DX 60 or a Yeasu FT 101-E as  a "Boat Anchor"

You refer to a rig like the Yaesu FT-901, Kenwood TS-820 or Drake TR-7 as "vintage" or "antique".

You refer to one's name as the "first personal" or just "personal".

You end a QSO with "Seventy-Thirds" or just "Threes".

You try to break into an ongoing QSO by shouting "Contact".

You finish an AM transmission in a QSO that is NOT operating fast break-in, and just drop the carrier with no prior warning like a callsign or saying "over", "back to you", "go ahead", etc., leaving the other operator(s) wondering if you lost power or your rig crapped out.

You pronounce QRZ.com as "CUE ARE ZEE dot com"

You "laugh" on phone by saying "High High" or worse still, "Aitch Eye".

You tell someone with a strapping signal he is "wall to wall, treetop tall".

You refer to switching over to AM  as "Going to the AM side".

You "ratchet-jaw", not ragchew.

You refer to a microphone with a built in preamp as a "Power Mic"

You try to whistle up your RF power level when running FM.

You insert "there" between every two or three words in your conversation.

You refer to the phone bands as the "SSB bands".

You refer to your home station as a 'base station'.

You call your transmitter or transceiver a "radio" instead of a "rig".

You believe the reflected power returns back to your final and makes the tubes run red.

You refer to standing wave ratio as "SWRs" [plural]

You use the word "dot" in decimal fractions instead of "point".

You call a feedline jack, usually a UHF female on the back of the rig, the "antenna port".

You report renewed sunspot activity when it is only sporadic E.

Your idea of calling CQ is to just say your call, then pause.

You use "QRZ?" in place of "CQ."

You test by uttering "audio, audio, aaaaaaudio".

You operate SSB using VOX, and make "aaaah" sounds between words to prevent the rig from dropping out of transmit mode.

You try to use VOX while transmitting on AM.

You refer to every RF power amplifier as a "linear" regardless of Class A, B, or C.

You pronounce linear "LEEN-YAR"

You think the ideal horizontal antenna is the G5RV, and the ideal 160m vertical is 43 ft. tall.

What others can you think of?

While I was ratchet jawing on my ft-101 boat anchor the other night, I thought I saw the toobs in my leenyar turning red from the high swr's i was getting back off my g5rv. So I checked the connection to the antenna port just in case something was loose, but I didn't find anything wrong. I tried a couple nice long aaauuudios's into my base stations' power mic, but it took a nice loud whistle to really make the 500z's glow. I thought it might have something to do with the ssb bands, so I flipped it over to the AM side and turned the veefo to 3dot885 and yelled "CONTACT!". Another base station came back and said his first personal was Mark in Indiana. I took a look at the sunspot report to see if this was E skip or what, and I checked que are zee to see who the other station was. I told him I was having trouble with too much swr's on my antenna, but he told me that my g5rv was wall to wall. treetop tall into his vintage TS-820, hihi. I couldn't copy him well because he was using VOX and to keep from dropping his key, he would say a lot of "ahhh's" and "there's" which I found hard to copy. So after a couple more minutes I told him "three's", and I would talk to him later. Maybe I'll try a few whistles on FM just to see if there's still too many swr's on that band too.

Seventy Thirds,
Jared, "     " <<<Call sign should be inserted here, but wasn't used.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #107 on: July 29, 2011, 08:28:05 AM »

I do not know if I worked you on 3885 or 1885 as I never heard of anyone with the name Bacon Slab. I have been on both frequencies plenty, ask WA1HLR. I believe in efficency in communication. Adding "here" or "For ID" are two examples of absolute waste of words. I highly respect most AMers, they are far above the usual breed of boring hams although I do not like the burping and the testing by yelling yea, yea, yea but whatever. I listen more than I transmit as I am different than most hams, that is if I have nothing to say I don't try to say it anyway.

Burt,
      You are just a downer, man. All you do is bellyache about other hams. If you would get on a little more often, your opinions just might change a little. I probably listen more than you do. If I dont have much to say, I will usually shut the transmitter off, so I can get some work done on the bench. But.............. I dont consider it a waste of words to do a quick "drive by" and say hello to my friends before going back to the bench.

As far as the "Slab Bacon" thing goes, I have carried that monicre since the days of the old "AM Window" bulletin board. Everyone knows who I am, Timmy (HLR) was one of the ones that hung me with it years ago when myself and Derb were cuttin it up on 75 one night. For your records My name is Frank, and my call is KB3AHE. I have even put my home phone and cell phone number out over the air and posted them on this BBS. Could you comfortably do that? ?

In the last 2 years, I have stared death in the face twice, been through tremendous family turmoil and tribulations, and I still manage to stay upbeat, and light-hearted. (And still a bit ornery)

You expouse nothing but negativity to everything, especially ham radio. You are a downer, man. If ham radio bothers you that much, you should find another less stressful hobby, like watching paint dry. Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #108 on: July 29, 2011, 10:04:32 AM »

You think a Johnson Kilowatt Matchbox is a "2.4 KW Tuner"

You refer to a DX 60 or a Yeasu FT 101-E as  a "Boat Anchor"

You refer to a rig like the Yaesu FT-901, Kenwood TS-820 or Drake TR-7 as "vintage" or "antique".

You refer to one's name as the "first personal" or just "personal".

You end a QSO with "Seventy-Thirds" or just "Threes".

You try to break into an ongoing QSO by shouting "Contact".

You finish an AM transmission in a QSO that is NOT operating fast break-in, and just drop the carrier with no prior warning like a callsign or saying "over", "back to you", "go ahead", etc., leaving the other operator(s) wondering if you lost power or your rig crapped out.

You pronounce QRZ.com as "CUE ARE ZEE dot com"

You "laugh" on phone by saying "High High" or worse still, "Aitch Eye".

You tell someone with a strapping signal he is "wall to wall, treetop tall".

You refer to switching over to AM  as "Going to the AM side".

You "ratchet-jaw", not ragchew.

You refer to a microphone with a built in preamp as a "Power Mic"

You try to whistle up your RF power level when running FM.

You insert "there" between every two or three words in your conversation.

You refer to the phone bands as the "SSB bands".

You refer to your home station as a 'base station'.

You call your transmitter or transceiver a "radio" instead of a "rig".

You believe the reflected power returns back to your final and makes the tubes run red.

You refer to standing wave ratio as "SWRs" [plural]

You use the word "dot" in decimal fractions instead of "point".

You call a feedline jack, usually a UHF female on the back of the rig, the "antenna port".

You report renewed sunspot activity when it is only sporadic E.

Your idea of calling CQ is to just say your call, then pause.

You use "QRZ?" in place of "CQ."

You test by uttering "audio, audio, aaaaaaudio".

You operate SSB using VOX, and make "aaaah" sounds between words to prevent the rig from dropping out of transmit mode.

You try to use VOX while transmitting on AM.

You refer to every RF power amplifier as a "linear" regardless of Class A, B, or C.

You pronounce linear "LEEN-YAR"

You think the ideal horizontal antenna is the G5RV, and the ideal 160m vertical is 43 ft. tall.

What others can you think of?

While I was ratchet jawing on my ft-101 boat anchor the other night, I thought I saw the toobs in my leenyar turning red from the high swr's i was getting back off my g5rv. So I checked the connection to the antenna port just in case something was loose, but I didn't find anything wrong. I tried a couple nice long aaauuudios's into my base stations' power mic, but it took a nice loud whistle to really make the 500z's glow. I thought it might have something to do with the ssb bands, so I flipped it over to the AM side and turned the veefo to 3dot885 and yelled "CONTACT!". Another base station came back and said his first personal was Mark in Indiana. I took a look at the sunspot report to see if this was E skip or what, and I checked que are zee to see who the other station was. I told him I was having trouble with too much swr's on my antenna, but he told me that my g5rv was wall to wall. treetop tall into his vintage TS-820, hihi. I couldn't copy him well because he was using VOX and to keep from dropping his key, he would say a lot of "ahhh's" and "there's" which I found hard to copy. So after a couple more minutes I told him "three's", and I would talk to him later. Maybe I'll try a few whistles on FM just to see if there's still too many swr's on that band too.

Seventy Thirds,
Jared, "     " <<<Call sign should be inserted here, but wasn't used.

IF my late friend DERB could be reading this...........James Brown would be proud.

Fred KC4MOP
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #109 on: July 29, 2011, 12:52:05 PM »

Don, what is the "exit stage left" strategy? I know well the tactic of "riding the wave".

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #110 on: July 29, 2011, 12:55:59 PM »

Don, what is the "exit stage left" strategy? I know well the tactic of "riding the wave".

Kinda like "Get the hell out of Dodge"   Grin  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #111 on: July 29, 2011, 01:16:59 PM »

Don, what is the "exit stage left" strategy?

I believe that's a term of Timtron origin.

What it means is when you are in an ongoing AM QSO, and a nest of slopbucketeers decides to zero-beat the AM carrier frequency and attempt to carry on a conversation right on top of you, you QSY a kc or so, just enough to make a big fat heterodyne in the SSB passband with your carrier.  On 75m, most slopbucket is LSB, and most receivers tune lower in frequency as you rotate the dial to  the left (anti-clockwise), hence the term "exit stage left". I have heard the tactic used multiple times in a single QSO, and the slopbucketeers re-zeroed each time, until the operating frequency had shifted downwards 3-4 kc/s. Then everyone in the AM QSO quietly slipped back to the original frequency, leaving the slopbucketeers down the band, boasting of how they had "run the AMers off the frequency".   Grin Grin

I know well the tactic of "riding the wave".

You got me on that one.  You'll have to explain what it means.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #112 on: July 29, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »

or you can be like timtron and build an SBE which takes care of the slopbuckets automatically, since it would be impossible to zero beat a randomly changing frequency.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #113 on: July 29, 2011, 02:27:02 PM »

Good points about the receiver, Don.

Just to be sure - it's important to know that when listening on LSB, a carrier ABOVE the freq will not be heard because of the ssb filter attenuation. However, if a carrier is BELOW the freq, it will appear as a loud hetrodyne on LSB.  It's the opposite on USB.

This does not occur when listening on a standard receiver in the AM or CW mode with the BFO on - the carrier will be equally strong on either side.

The point is, I have heard ssb stations intentionally QRMing AM 75M QSO's  and the AMer's move up a kc to get in their face. On LSB, this is not "effective."  This results in no carrier heard on ssb. Even the audio is muted if the AM station is more than a few kc away up the band.  The AM station needs to be BELOW the freq to have an effect on LSB.

I'm not advocating Wally and Richard / AM conflicts - just want to give a head's up for informational purposes only... Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #114 on: July 29, 2011, 04:02:39 PM »

I'm not advocating Wally and Richard / AM conflicts - just want to give a head's up for informational purposes only... Wink

I don't advise walking round with a chip on your shoulder either, daring anyone to knock it off, but if we tolerate bullying by wimpily going away in the presence of deliberate heckling,  the QRMers have won and it will only get worse.  The best reaction is to simply ignore the offenders, but if they persist, defensive measures are in order. Exit Stage Left, for example.  Or strap softly and turn up the wick (and the audio to go with it).

The problem with the SBE is that the signal is even crappier to listen to than slopbucket.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #115 on: July 29, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »

The problem with the SBE is that the signal is even crappier to listen to than slopbucket.

That depends on the receiver, Don.
He sound quite tolerable on the Scott RCH and Hellismashers S38C.
The Drake R4A however doesn't handle it well and forget about using the SDR w/ stink detector.
ve6pg

« Reply #116 on: July 29, 2011, 04:42:31 PM »

..frank..i think burt's comment about never hearing if you, basically closes the case...he clearly does not listen...and by the way, seems to me there is more AM activity than the freqs he listed...hope to talk with you soon frank..

..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Burt
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »

My name is Frank, and my call is KB3AHE. I have even put my home phone and cell phone number out over the air and posted them on this BBS. Could you comfortably do that? ?

In the last 2 years, I have stared death in the face twice, been through tremendous family turmoil and tribulations, and I still manage to stay upbeat, and light-hearted. (And still a bit ornery)

You expouse nothing but negativity to everything, especially ham radio. You are a downer, man. If ham radio bothers you that much, you should find another less stressful hobby, like watching paint dry. Grin  Grin

My location is easily found by looking up my call. My phone number is almost as easily found on Switchboard using my zip code.
You say I expose negativity? What do you know? Most of my ham videos are POSITIVE like Field Day and NearFEST. I have watched paint dry, but you call it contesting. I admire you however for what you have gone through. You are a better man than I.
Burt
WA3VJB
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2011, 06:07:45 PM »

Pete, for Pete's sake, lighten up friend!  I can't help but notice lately how many of your posts are defensive.  Tolerance goes a long way towards personal happiness, especially when dealing with a diverse population such as amateur radio operators.

I was thinking the same thing.
kg8lb
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2011, 07:37:57 PM »

.. I admire you however for what you have gone through. You are a better man than I.
Burt

Happily, "Going through" just happens sometimes. Trying to get a loved one through is another matter.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2011, 12:17:50 AM »

I never paid attention to ssb vernacular, but heard "conditions here are" a few times today Thanks for bringing it to my attention so I can be annoyed by yet one more thing.

Is it really an annoyance or amusement? It is wrong use of speech, but a listener solely has the choice of being annoyed/amused or not. I chose to be annoyed then quickly relented and ignored it. It is no different for SSB users to make these things up that for others to make up words like pissolene or say "strap them" or whatever.

Just disregard them. People do that with posts all the time, maybe with this one as well.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Burt
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2011, 07:28:35 AM »

I never paid attention to ssb vernacular, but heard "conditions here are" a few times today Thanks for bringing it to my attention so I can be annoyed by yet one more thing.

Is it really an annoyance or amusement? It is wrong use of speech, but a listener solely has the choice of being annoyed/amused or not. I chose to be annoyed then quickly relented and ignored it. It is no different for SSB users to make these things up that for others to make up words like pissolene or say "strap them" or whatever.

Just disregard them. People do that with posts all the time, maybe with this one as well.

I liked your post. I do not get annoyed by the rig HERE or the weather HERE is, there are important things in life to get annoyed about, nothing in ham radio rises to the level of that importance.
Burt
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2011, 02:07:30 PM »

Is it really an annoyance or amusement?

That's a great question Patrick! Personally, I find that at this point in my life I laugh about things I hear on the air more than ever before. It's very amusing (to me) when I hear some pompous ass using protocols and buzzwords to make every worthless transmission sound like "official high-priority traffic".

Jared's parody sounded very similar to some guy I heard on 20 meters several days ago. Every other word was a "radio-slang-buzz-word" from the "nonsense" category as he endlessly switched from "pross-ess-errrr on" to "pross-ess-errrr off". It was fascinating as he described the effect on his "A.L. Seeeeees", which were "swang-in' the meter to the max range" in both "wurk-in cun-dish-uns". I found that I couldn't tune away until he finally uttered that he had to "tur-mine-ate this contact to opt-oh-mize his wurk-in' cun-dish-uns".

Very amusing. Maybe W2OY had it right?

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2011, 09:38:56 PM »

Maybe W9OY had it right?

Aitch-eye!  Grin

- - -
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #124 on: July 31, 2011, 10:45:36 PM »

Very amusing. Maybe W9OY had it right?

Rob W1AEX

Okay i guess i'll be the curious one who bites:  what did he have right? 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015