The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:52:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: getting carded at 60  (Read 23382 times)
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »

If they card you for buying paint brushes be ause somebody can smoke the bristles soon they will be carding people for buying grass seed because you grow it then possibly smoke it too

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
wa2dtw

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2011, 09:00:52 AM »

This is exactly the same logic as  searching everyone and doing random thorough searches at airport checkpoints.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2011, 09:16:57 AM »

Maybe we should quit bitchin' on the board and start writing to politicians, making speeches, whatever... to start getting some common sense back in this country.

Remember the 55 mph debacle.  Even the extremely dense pol's and lawyers finally got the message that even their exalted asses were getting stopped for breaking the 'law.'

And then maybe we'll get to stop pulling restrictors from shower heads, restoring antique commodes to get a decent flush, punching drunk keys to get the car to start, putting the ever older babies into ever more complex seating gadgets..   turning off the front seat 'eject' lever in certain model years....     

Well I hope Ann Rand's book as a movie makes it big, or will it be like 'Gods and Generals,' extremely interesting to the faithful, but probably very boring , stilted and pendantic to the measly attention span of the general public.

Therein lies a problem, the two day memory of the average voter.
"We don't buys our chickens at Church's anymore, we buys it at the Kernel's.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2011, 10:12:35 AM »

Mooltipass  Grin

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2011, 10:38:12 AM »

Bob, Where do you eat in Niantic that isn't a rip off? We go to the new Greek place West of town that is pretty good. Most of the places are big bucks and small meals. I like Jon's in Colchester the best for fish.

Hi Frank, 
Main Street Grill, the old Constantine's place at the end of Pennsylvania Av.  Foods not bad and prices are good.  I'm not thrilled with Jon's.  I find the place hit or miss.   I like Johnny Ad's in Old Saybrook plus you can sit down inside too. Prices I think are a smidge better.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2011, 12:07:08 PM »

I have not been asked for ID to buy paint brushes. That is the stupidest thing I've seen all week. So which paint brush bristles are the ones they are smoking? Horsehair, plastic? sounds nasty.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »

The last time I ate in Constantines they brought me a 3 inch by 3 inch hunk of Tuna with a little baked potato and charged me $20. No wonder they went out of business.
Morton house is a joke. Last time I ate there the cook quit. Unk's is good but big prices.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2011, 12:38:48 PM »

Maybe we should quit bitchin' on the board and start writing to politicians, making speeches, whatever... to start getting some common sense back in this country.

But first, you have to bitch here and elsewhere to call people's attention to the nonsense... that is the "elsewhere" you are referring to.  If 99% of the population co-operates without protest and brands those who refuse as troublemakers, while continuing to obliviously watch news pre-occupied with the likes of Tiger Woods and Lady GaGa on the boob tube while sipping their Bud Lite, no telling what nonsense will be thought up next.

Remember, they started the photo ID-to-fly policy several years before 11SE01.  Claiming it was for "security reasons", long before anyone had dreamt of such a thing as suicide-hijackings, the real reason was for the benefit of the airlines industry. Those discount round-trip fares were often substantially cheaper than a regular one-way. People would purchase a round-trip and use only half.  Sometimes they would give away or sell the other half.  I recall seeing dozens of postings in university snack bars advertising the unused halves of round-trip tickets for sale or trade. The airline companies felt that they were being ripped off, so they lobbied for the ID policy.

I did that once myself.  My father-in-law flew down for a few days visit, then my wife and kids drove with him back to Massachusetts.  I stayed behind because I couldn't get off from work until a couple of days after they left, so instead of causing the rest of the family to delay the trip, I used the other half of my father-in-law's ticket and flew up to Boston a few days later as "Mr. Hussey". No-one questioned my identity or even appeared to care who I was since the ticket was already paid for, and the flight went without a hitch.

And then maybe we'll get to stop pulling restrictors from shower heads, restoring antique commodes to get a decent flush...

A 5-minute task.  With our water here, those things clog up with crud after a few weeks in any case, and it's a lot easier just to remove them than to try to clean or replace them, and the shower works better anyway.  Just unscrew the shower head and take out that little plastic gizmo with the holes in it designed to restrict the flow. Our toilet has a regular size tank, but it was adjusted to release less than half the contents per flush, and it would sometimes take two or more flushes to complete the job.  It was restored to a full flush merely by adjusting the little chain that  links the lever to the float.  We have another toilet that has always worked well @ 1.6 gpf, so I have never tinkered with it.  Since we have a septic system and poorly draining soil, low water usage would be great, if it actually worked.

Speaking of antiques, I'd love to find a repairable high tank toilet with the pull chain.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »

If you protest you will be called an extremist and a racist. Just so ya know...... Wink
N8LGU

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 04:42:57 PM »

Papers! Your papers, please!

"Rock Cave Dave"
KL7OF

« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 06:32:16 PM »

Papers! Your papers, please!
Wheat Straws?  These are not ID papers,
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2011, 08:59:52 PM »

"Remember, they started the photo ID-to-fly policy several years before 11SE01. "  -- K4KYV

Speaking of being carded with photo ID, why do they never ask me for that when I vote?  Something is strange there.  I get asked for Photo ID when buying cans of air, decongestant, alcohol, cans of whipped cream... but never when it's time to pull a lever.   Roll Eyes

AMI#1684
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »

I have an old toilet and don't eat out because I am a cheap ham.  I'd rather spend money on parts.  My latest cheap trick is driving everywhere at never more than 1400 rpm.  I get up into 5th and hold it there at 1400.   gas mileage much better.   Fortunately I always do this on 4 lane roads and stay off toll roads and freeways because I'm about 10 minutes from my job.

But, I may have to burn some gas rushing around to liquor stores and places that sell spray paint so I can get carded too, and feel young.  This is nuts for me because it won't cost anything.  Since the point is getting carded, I can just say "Shoot, I left my ID at home."  And put the spray paint back and leave without buying anything.

p.s. all those old fixtures like high tank toilets cost $$$$ these days.   They are considered sheek, or chick or whatever.
My house has a big cast iron porcelain glaze kitchen sink, the kind yuppies call a "farm sink" with a dish drain and high back splash.   I found out they go for upwards of $1600.   Fortunately I was not one of these idiots who tears things like that out for new junk fixtures.   I'm all Case and Chicago Faucets.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2011, 11:11:33 PM »

I have an old toilet and don't eat out because I am a cheap ham.

You really shouldn't put both of those thoughts in the same sentence.  Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2011, 11:45:38 PM »

"Remember, they started the photo ID-to-fly policy several years before 11SE01. "  -- K4KYV

Speaking of being carded with photo ID, why do they never ask me for that when I vote?  Something is strange there.  I get asked for Photo ID when buying cans of air, decongestant, alcohol, cans of whipped cream... but never when it's time to pull a lever.   Roll Eyes

That will probably change soon.  Lot of states are passing laws requiring a photo ID to vote.  Argument against it is that many of the elderly who no longer drive have no driving permit or other picture ID and will be disenfranchised. Argument for it is that it will keep convicted felons and illegal aliens from illegally voting.  A non-issue, because neither group is overly eager to vote and most wouldn't give a crap anyway.  The illegals especially want to keep a low profile and would unlikely expose themselves by showing up at a public polling place. If the felon has fully served his time (not still on parole) and been released, he should have the right to vote.

Here, you have to sign your voter registration card in the presence of the clerk when registering, and they require some proof of identity and address of residence then.  A signature is a lot harder than a photo to falsify for most people. When you vote here, you have to sign the slip, and the employee compares your signature with the one on the registration card.  If they want the photo ID, all they would have to do is use one of those portable machines at the registration site and snap an instant digital photo which would be embedded on the card, and that would assure that everyone registered to vote has one.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2011, 06:21:21 AM »

We're working a photo ID law for voting here in NH.  I doubt it's the cause, but I actually wrote about having one put in place a little under two years ago to all my state reps/senators. Some even answered back (it helps that they were paper letters and I proof read and spell checked I suppose).  There was so much voter fraud in the last elections and we just had to walk up and state our name and address without anything.  It has always bugged me that one of the most important civic duties didn't require any kind of validation.  A well crafted ID law won't make it difficult to vote for more than a very few individual cases, and at least in our state, you can easily get a state issued photo ID for a very small fee (looks just like a Drivers license).

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2011, 07:40:03 AM »

I have an old toilet and don't eat out because I am a cheap ham.

You really shouldn't put both of those thoughts in the same sentence.  Grin

Haw, good one Cheesy

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2011, 02:32:39 PM »

A well crafted ID law won't make it difficult to vote for more than a very few individual cases, and at least in our state, you can easily get a state issued photo ID for a very small fee (looks just like a Drivers license).

That "small fee" is effectively a poll tax. That was declared unconstitutional decades ago. They would have to offer it for free.

In this state, we have to show our voter registration card (although sometimes the local workers don't ask for it if they know you personally), and the local precinct has a list of all registered voters in a ledger.  As each voter enters the booth, they check his/her name off the list, and the voter also has to sign a form, that is kept on record.  Isn't that adequate for keeping anyone from voting twice, voting in someone else's place, or voting without properly registering?

- - -
WA1GFZ

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2011, 04:47:39 PM »

It would be better if you phase shift the thought so you eat first ...
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »

A well crafted ID law won't make it difficult to vote for more than a very few individual cases, and at least in our state, you can easily get a state issued photo ID for a very small fee (looks just like a Drivers license).

That "small fee" is effectively a poll tax. That was declared unconstitutional decades ago. They would have to offer it for free.

In this state, we have to show our voter registration card (although sometimes the local workers don't ask for it if they know you personally), and the local precinct has a list of all registered voters in a ledger.  As each voter enters the booth, they check his/her name off the list, and the voter also has to sign a form, that is kept on record.  Isn't that adequate for keeping anyone from voting twice, voting in someone else's place, or voting without properly registering?

As long as the registration card had a photo on it, I suppose that would fit the bill.  I didn't think about the poll tax side, but the state ID isn't required to vote, nor is voting it's sole purpose.  Any form of photo ID could be used, License, Passport, School ID, Military ID etc.   In my original proposal I also made the allowance that a person with out a photo ID could show a Birth Cert and/or Soc Sec card etc. to the folks and be allowed to vote. 
The real intent was to keep folks from just perusing the previous couple years obits and walking in to vote 4 or 5 times.  Or simply reading a name off of the list as they were being checked off.  I originally wrote my state reps when I saw a Clinton for President rally at our local highschool.  It was covered by the news and showed a HUGE crowd.  I was at th school that day, and I noticed that the parking lot was FULL, I also noticed that the license plates were about 4-1 out of state to in state, from places like Massachusettes, CT, RI, NY and NJ being the most prevalent.  I have no problem with folks supporting their candidates, but I felt that the event was used to show a huge LOCAL support for the candidate which was out and out false.  So I figured if they can do it with a rally, the day of the polls wouldn't be too hard either. I also found on that election, that at least at the elementary school that I voted at, the 'volunteers' for that candidate were all bussed in being from N. Carolina! (The accent was a tad obvious).  Again the intent being to show a huge crowd of folks and making the voters think the candidate had a much bigger local following (people will vote for who they think is going to win).

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015