The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 07:54:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: getting carded at 60  (Read 23383 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: April 16, 2011, 03:27:20 PM »

Today my daughter and I go into home cheapo to pick up some spray paint for a power supply front panel I'm doing. We go to the check out counter and girl asks, " what is your date of birth"? So I tell her and ask why da heck do you want my DOB. She smiles and says spray paint.
Daughter asks if I'm going out tagging tonight.   
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 04:24:20 PM »

Hey, you're just a young looking scamp. Grin

Bill KA8WTK
KL7OF

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 04:37:14 PM »

Now everyone has to be  carded in the airport bar...no matter what your age...I personally got a kick out of it the first few times...being carded by a 20 something waitress when I'm old enough to be her grandfather...But alas the thrill is gone..Soon everyone will have a chip implanted in their ass at birth so we can keep the ID in the pocket...
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 04:41:24 PM »

Maybe she wanted to make sure you are old enough to "huff" it.  Cool

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 04:57:44 PM »

My Daughter said the same thing...I guess the lack of good cheap weed has kids doing stupid stuff.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 05:05:25 PM »

My Daughter said the same thing...I guess the lack of good cheap weed has kids doing stupid stuff.

Gee Frank, if someone asked for my proof of age now, at age 57, I'd be friggin' thrilled.

Take it as a compliment, OM.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 05:42:04 PM »

Today my daughter and I go into home cheapo to pick up some spray paint for a power supply front panel I'm doing. We go to the check out counter and girl asks, " what is your date of birth"? So I tell her and ask why da heck do you want my DOB. She smiles and says spray paint.
Daughter asks if I'm going out tagging tonight.  

I've had the happen at home despot too.  Recently, Liz and I were out to dinner and the both of us got carded when we ordered a couple glasses of wine before dinner in Niantic. It wasn't a big deal but we got a chuckle out of it considering the obvious age differences between us and the waitress.  They have to do it. I can't fault them. They're under orders by the man.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 06:13:46 PM »

Frank said:

Around here smoking 'bath salts' has become all the rage to the point local DA's are encouraging the outlaw of their sales!

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 07:25:38 PM »

"Do you think that we want those laws to be observed? We want them broken. There’s no way to rule innocent men. The only power the government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren’t enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »

Frank, you got carded because word got out Bob's gone, and everyone your age is looking for a sub for toluene.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »

Yea you are right HUZ. Here in CT. they want to ban large clips and turn anyone with one into a crook. A lot easier than solving real problems.

We had a tech at work who lived in the woods by himself. He always smelled real bad, like lighter fluid. You couldn't sit next to him for very long or you would feel sick. He never shut up either. He finally retired then turned up dead.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 08:42:58 PM »

"...One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

This sounds like a statement of Objectivism Steve. Perhaps Atlas Shrugged?

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 08:54:58 PM »

You get the prize Rob. First published in the UK in 1938 and the USA in 1946.
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2011, 09:08:18 PM »

Always get carded in the bars and restaurants in the West Palm Beach airport and places in town.  Think it's a PB county thing that they card everybody down there because of a major problem they had with underage drinkers in the downtown Clematis Street district.  When they do card me, I ask them if they are going to at least give me a senior discount....

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
longle SWL
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2011, 09:12:09 PM »

My 67 year old wife got carded at the checkout of the local chain grocery market, for, wait for it,,,,, non-alcoholic  beer!  Roll Eyes
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »

I'm gonna see if I can dig out my draft card.....  That should generate some confusion. Guess they'll have to get the manager.

klc

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 09:45:42 PM »

Something has to be going on behind the scenes.  It couldn't be just "coincidence" that this shit is suddenly going down all over the country right about the same time.

This past weekend I went to Chattanooga to visit my daughter.  While there I was carded before they would serve me beer at three different establishments!  Only one, a restaurant visited mostly by an older clientele, plus the bar in the hotel where I was staying, did not card me. At one place, they had a bouncer at the door who called out the manager, because after I finally agreed to show my driving licence, he didn't want to let me in because it doesn't have my picture on it, but instead, the words "valid without photo" where the picture normally goes.  In this state, you don't need the picture after age 59 and you can renew it by mail. The last time I was there, about a year ago, I went bar/pub hopping all over town and I don't think it even crossed anyone's mind to card an old fart like me.

It really pisses me off to the extreme.  Not that it's a severe inconvenience to pull out my "papers"; it's a matter of principle.  One more little freedom lost.  I can't just walk in off the street on foot or riding a bicycle, therefore not needing a driving licence in my possession, just cash in my pocket, and order a goddam beer. Besides, I don't always carry my wallet 24/7 everywhere I go. What ever happened to common sense?  Any damn fool could look at me and tell I'm old enough to buy beer. If not, they don't have any business serving the public and handling other peoples' money, let alone serving alcohol.

I know the servers or cashiers are only doing what they are told to do, but whenever this happens I still go out of my way to make as big a scene as I can without getting kicked out of the joint or arrested, and try to make everyone involved feel as much like a fool as possible.  Unfortunately the great majority of the sheeple will just smile or make a joke about it and comply without further ado, and one more little freedom has just slipped by.  If everyone made a scene, they would return to common sense because it would be bad for busine$$.  What in the hell does carding me at 68 have to do with keeping kids under 18 or 21 from buying alcohol or spray paint?

The most absurd case has to be the time not too long ago my father-in-law (12 years my senior) was with me at Wal 'o ChinaMart and we decided to pick up a 12-pack.  The cashier wanted to card me, but all I had was cash in my pocket, no wallet, because "Grandad" was driving and I left it at the house. She wouldn't sell me the beer, so my father-in-law said "I'm buying the beer" and took out his wallet.  She wouldn't sell to him because she "knew he was buying it for me".

I have been carded more times since I retired than I ever was when I was actually young enough for anyone to doubt I was of age. I feel like I paid my dues decades ago and don't need this crap now and I always make sure to tell them so.

Wonder what would they do at the airport if someone else bought the beer and then handed it to me, and I didn't have any papers to show? Would they arrest me as a suspected terrorist?

Angry Angry Angry

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 10:31:02 PM »

Frank
Saw our bud Friday on the way home. He was sitting on a tree right where 30 splits off to 91 N/S. I carded him
Carl
/KPD

* Red-tailedHawk2004-10-03-001.jpg (69.54 KB, 500x750 - viewed 395 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »

I was asked for ID at Wal-Mars by the Wal-Martian when I purchased Air Duster.  (You know, cans of air to blow all the sunflower seed shells out of my keyboard)

AMI#1684
WA1GFZ

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 11:09:25 PM »

Carl,
I also saw him in the same area Friday but he was flying around about 5:00PM

Bob, Where do you eat in Niantic that isn't a rip off? We go to the new Greek place West of town that is pretty good. Most of the places are big bucks and small meals. I like Jon's in Colchester the best for fish.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 12:00:54 AM »

I was asked for ID at Wal-Mars by the Wal-Martian when I purchased Air Duster.  (You know, cans of air to blow all the sunflower seed shells out of my keyboard)

As Frank mentioned before, CT is locking down all kinds of things, to "keep us all safe". A lot of weird stuff now requires that you show a driver's license before you can purchase it. Anything that can be potentially abused, especially in a "recreational" way, is on the list.

Unfortunately, a lot of stores seem to have jumped on the bandwagon and they now try to gather information with every sale. It's creepy how so many places want personal information for the privilege of buying their products.

When my wife and I buy things with cash that aren't on any of the "unsafe lists" we refuse to provide any identifying information. When we are asked for our name, or phone number, or zip code, or whatever, we just say, "Why?" That usually provokes a shocked stare from the clerk, and then they say something like, "Ummm... well it's our policy." To which we say in a friendly tone, "Look, it's our policy not to give that information out to strangers. You're selling something, and we're buying with cash. That's all you need to know." I can't recall a single time when they didn't take our cash and move on to the next customer.

I suppose the "card everyone" policy falls into the same idiotic category as "zero tolerance" policies. Both remove common sense from the equation, on the premise that everyone should be treated exactly the same, even though no two people are exactly the same...

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 12:38:02 AM »

Rob
You in gown next week? I may want to swing by and see the shack at the end of the day
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WZ1M

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 01:38:36 AM »

Quick trip to the hardware store today to pick up a bunch of those 50cent, use one time, throw away paint brushes. Well, you guessed it "CARDED".....Your kidding me, for paint brushes. His reply, I was buying to many at once and people have been known to clip the bristles and smoke them. I was floored..............This has got to be a first.
Gary
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 02:25:02 AM »

When they try to card me, one of the things I like to tell them is "You know I am old enough, and that's all that matters.  Once that's decided, it's nobody's business what my name, address or date of birth is."

I haven't run into this yet, but several companies are manufacturing a device that scans the ID card of every customer who enters an establishment and saves the demographic information. Who knows what kind of data bases this could get you into.

...full access to the database is available enabling you to:

View Important Demographic Information - You can determine; male/female ratios, the number of times a customer paid a cover charge, how many customers came on a specific date, and a variety of other relevant statistics.

Create Informative Reports - Using the Quick Search/Report feature, you can pick various categories of customers and generate reports based on the search criteria you select. For example you can generate a report that lists all your Female, VIP customers that are 21 or older, from Victoria, and entered the nightclub on 16/08/09. This information can then be printed or used in MS Excel© or Access© where detailed graphs and charts can be made.

Enhance Advertising Capabilities
- Generate customizable mailing lists that can be targeted to various groups of customers based on the demographic information you now have access to. In addition, with our multi-state ID support, it's possible to reach both local and out of state customers...

http://www.jssecurity.com.au/clubscan/

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2011, 02:26:24 AM »

So, carding you because you might smoke the bristles does WHAT to help this merchant?  I don't get it.  Gary you were born in 1947... I'm sure there is no mistaking you with a 13 yr old green-haired "legal highs" seeker.

What if a 16 yr old wants to make some extra money painting his neighbors house on spring break?  Mommy has to buy his paint brushes???

Incredible.

AMI#1684
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015