The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:03:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resolution demo my Nikon D7000 / 85mm Macro lens  (Read 5003 times)
w1vtp

« on: April 14, 2011, 09:23:28 PM »

I had to crop the pic to get the file size down to something that would upload.  I think the resolution is good - blow it up and see

This is Rosie one of my kitties. Her favorite spot is on top of my equipment rack. Nice view to the back yard when it's daylight. The resized picture is only for perspective showing the shack background.

Al

* Rosie(1).jpg (1865.88 KB, 1745x1482 - viewed 413 times.)

* Rosie(2).jpg (1642.75 KB, 2000x1325 - viewed 385 times.)
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »

Wow! What a look in those eyes.
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:31:36 PM »

Great looking cat there Al. Cats and boatanchors go together. An old cat really loves a warm old tube radio.  Grin Grin

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
K5WLF
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 11:44:08 PM »

Rosie looks like a wonderful cat, Al. She sure is a pretty little critter. That's some great resolution from the Nikon, too. Nice picture.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 12:19:04 AM »

Nice pic!  I'm assuming natural light, as there is absolutely no red-eye whatsoever, and I've always found that very difficult to do when photographing cat's faces.

Nice and clear, too!

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 01:06:31 PM »

High key light, see bounce from the knobs on the SP600.

There's a sparklie in her eyes too, and some reflection from the retina.  This is a great pet trick though, demonstrating the virtues of a detachable or remote flash.

Nicely done !

I especially like the depth of field on this. Tack-sharp on the face, with background just enough detail to know what's what.

Nice pic!  I'm assuming natural light, as there is absolutely no red-eye whatsoever, and I've always found that very difficult to do when photographing cat's faces.

Nice and clear, too!

Regards,

Steve

w1vtp

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 02:52:42 PM »

Rosie is a real sweetheart.  She greats me with her almost question meow when I step into the shack, as if to say "where have you been?" I'm going to have to close out the rack that you see the SP600 / SX-73 in as that's her favorite spot and that's where the 813 xmtr will reside. 

Here's a clear case where a kitty adopted a family.  She showed up on our porch really meowing frantically and rubbing up against our legs.  It was an instant love affair and she was brought in.  She has never had the slighest inclination to go outside since then.

The focus on this lens has been really great. You can blow up that first picture until you just see the pixels and it is still as sharp as a tack.  It's going to be a lot of fun expecially when I get its companion closeup flash, the R1 which is on backorder.  Lots of fun to be had - - - now if I was retired - - -

Al

* MY_85MM_MACRO.jpg (51.03 KB, 600x391 - viewed 322 times.)

* R1_flash.jpg (22.54 KB, 450x410 - viewed 313 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 08:48:25 PM »

Thought of you today, Al, when I collected focus and pulled out this frame.

* IMG_4344.JPG (1203.73 KB, 4416x3312 - viewed 348 times.)
w1vtp

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 09:15:15 PM »

Paul

Sorry about the senior moment.  That's real nice.  love the composition.

Al
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2011, 07:26:04 AM »

I am discovering the only way to begin to see detail over the internet is to move the file around near the 1mb size. The "email size" really decreases definition.

Paul, what effect is that called with the focus in your picture? The small group of flowers in focus? I know digital photography uses the same settings as film for focus techniques. Depth of field, shutter speed,.
What setting would get the entire picture framed in yours to be entirely focused?

At least with digital there is no processing fees to see your results.

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:53:02 AM »

Paul, what effect is that called with the focus in your picture? The small group of flowers in focus? I know digital photography uses the same settings as film for focus techniques. Depth of field, shutter speed,.
What setting would get the entire picture framed in yours to be entirely focused?

Depth of Field, Fred, controlled by the size of the lens aperture.  You then use other variables to produce an image that is correctly exposed.  Larger aperture -- think of a dilated pupil in your eye = shallow depth of field. Smaller aperture, like f16, f22 or more, is like a pinhole film camera where everything is in focus despite the fact there's no glass lens !  Optical science is neat stuff.

I try to avoid automated settings as much as possible, and in this case, I think I dropped the ISO down to 80, activated a neutral density filter, put the shutter speed way high, and opened the aperture to 2.8 or so. This let me have a very shallow depth of field, where the area in focus is reduced behind and in front of the subject (the flowers).  

I took nearly the same shot on a camera phone which does not allow manual settings, and the depth of field is very large. As you can see, the in-focus zone covers the flowers all the way back to the US Capitol. Presuming the simple cameraphone lens uses a small aperture setting to minimize its need to focus, within whatever shutter speed it can muster.

On your point about internet viewing and "email size" photos. It's not just the file size alone that determines detail.  This file below is less than 700K in size, but the detail is not bad.  I think it's more a matter of height/width as portrayed on your monitor.  If you have a 1920x1080 monitor, then the original image ought to be at least that size so that the computer doesn't have to "enlarge" as you would in film, from say a 640x480 shot.

The whole "email size" concept dates back to dialup telephone internet service. Go larger.

Back to the depth of field discussion. The hot ticket among Digital SLR cameras right now is the Canon 5D. Gorgeous images and the camera will shoot high definition video besides. The key difference making it better than almost any other SLR on the market is the size of the sensor field. Think of it as using a larger-format piece of film than say 35mm, where there's more information delivered without pixel self-noise.

To give you an idea of the quality, we are using the 5D to shoot selected television productions at work, instead of the full size $30,000 broadcast video cameras.  The shows want the video version of that shallow depth of field look like you see in that first shot you commented on.

Problem is, that kind of focus is tricky in most news environments where stuff is moving. It's okay for sit-down interviews or other controlled environments where you can collect focus and the subject stays in a narrow range. So for video the 5D will be a specialized camera.  It's also kinda of peculiar to use the physical layout of an SLR camera to shoot video.  Doesn't feel right when you pan and tilt, and it's more difficult to be on the move and try to keep the subject framed correctly. Another controlled-environment matter.

* IMG00225-20110415-1226.jpg (657.77 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 327 times.)
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 11:37:37 AM »

Good stuff Paul and Al, Here are a few shots using Cannon 7D last Memorial Day. The kids are my grand nieces and nephews. High speed (1/2000) and rapid fire.

* IMG_0423.JPG (746.55 KB, 2592x1728 - viewed 341 times.)

* IMG_0560.JPG (891.79 KB, 2592x1728 - viewed 337 times.)
w1vtp

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »

Good stuff guys!  Yup, it's great having all that power in your hands.  I'm still learning - the camera's a lot smarter than I am.  Much overlooked is the HD movie capabilities.  I'll be doing some movies of this summer's vacation (that is, if I have one  Grin  )

Al
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2011, 06:34:40 PM »

Mike those are nice shots. I can see the droplets of water from the activity in the water.
And Paul big difference in the last Cherry Blossom shot with the "all in focus".

I just jumped for a JVC HD120 High Def camcorder and waiting to see some playbacks.
The stations using 1080P are making beautiful video on my 47" LG.

Fred KC4MOP
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »

Love those summertime shots, Mike.
Nice fast shutter, and as Fred pointed out, the water droplets !!!
The upside-down kid's facial expression is priceless, as is the girl off to the left, like "WILL HE MAKE IT???"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015