The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 12:11:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Old Cell Phone Ads  (Read 6190 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: April 15, 2011, 01:44:37 AM »

To see just how far affordable transportable cellphone technology has come, watch these old TV commercials from the 80s and 90s.

Old cellphone ads

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K3ZS

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 09:36:53 AM »

Some of those old bricks had more power and when combined with an external mobile antenna, they had better range in rural areas.     I got one for a few dollars and was planning to use it when camping.   There are still many places the little ones don't have coverage.  They stopped all analog cell phone service so the brick became useless. 
WA3VJB
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:14:36 PM »

The audio quality was way better on the analog phones too, especially the brick phone, when compared with the early CDMA digital phones.

Audio quality improved and even exceeded the old brick up until maybe 5 years ago, when that colored-tooth appliance and other hands-free devices caught on.

Now it's to the point I can barely understand some callers, what with environmental noise and crappy wireless from head-to-phone.

I used to shock some people who made fun of my old brick phone, which I held onto way past the "transition," when I would tell them it was great for heating coffee.  I then turned it upside down and made like I was going to put the antenna in the cup to stir.

huh-HA !
Ott

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 01:44:56 PM »

Some of those old bricks had more power and when combined with an external mobile antenna, they had better range in rural areas.     I got one for a few dollars and was planning to use it when camping.   There are still many places the little ones don't have coverage.  They stopped all analog cell phone service so the brick became useless. 

Used to keep an old analog Moto bag phone (like the one below) in the trunk for those times when the flip couldn't find a tower... with three watts in the bag, it could find a tower from the deepest parking garage...

* MotoPhoneTop.png (134.35 KB, 600x400 - viewed 289 times.)
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 03:03:43 PM »

Used to keep an old analog Moto bag phone (like the one below) in the trunk for those times when the flip couldn't find a tower... with three watts in the bag, it could find a tower from the deepest parking garage...

I still have one of those "bag phones." Never had the heart to throw it away.  It worked great, especially with the outside mag mount ant.
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »

We still have a Motorola 'Startac' in service.  It's called our 'elderberry'... Wink

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »

They stopped all analog cell phone service so the brick became useless. 

But the FeeCee still hasn't repealed that stupid rule against the sale of receivers that continuously cover the cell phone frequency range nor congress the law that tries to claim that it is illegal to listen to those frequencies, even though now the transmissions are effectively encrypted since all you would hear on an ordinary receiver would be digital hash.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 11:49:16 PM »

The audio quality was way better on the analog phones too, especially the brick phone, when compared with the early CDMA digital phones.

Audio quality improved and even exceeded the old brick up until maybe 5 years ago, when that colored-tooth appliance and other hands-free devices caught on.

Now it's to the point I can barely understand some callers, what with environmental noise and crappy wireless from head-to-phone.

Amen to that.  The audio compressors in the phones is, I believe, the main culprit.  Way too much background noise which chops the audio.

The only benefit of CDMA phones is their long battery life.  The only reason they have any range at all is the ubiquitous cell towers sprouting every quarter mile.

My wife's old StarTac was the best phone ever but lacked the absolutely critical functions like ability to log on to Facebook and text while driving at 70 miles an hour  Roll Eyes

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2011, 11:28:25 AM »

Anyone remember the ~1976 cellular Motorola Pulsar Radiotelephone?  It looked like a big office handset for the car.

Inside, it was a complicated maze of new digital chips and early LSI technology. I was expected to troubleshoot it down to the component level.  The first one came in with a "no transmit" tag. Within 10 minutes I managed to short it out so badly even the receiver was dead and the digital frequency readout was flickering like a cheap pimp's neon sign. That was my last job as a 2-way technician and left for good...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »

I believe that was Motorola's first synthesized commercial radio.  A friend gave me a few circuit boards so I could harvest the 4016 programmable divider chips for a Drake MSR-2 that had a dead one - 4016s being unobtanium.  The circuit boards were cheap and the whole thing look unnecessarily complex.  I pity you for having to work on that mess, Tom!

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2011, 12:34:05 PM »

You guys are talking about new stuff.

* rotaryinthecar.jpg (46.8 KB, 450x375 - viewed 345 times.)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »

I once tried to use a cell phone for remote audio to tone modulate  the transmitter for a test.  It didn't work.  For some  reason, as soon as I inserted a tone in the phone (speaker-to-mic interface) the damn thing would null out the tone.  Must have been like those DSP heterodyne eliminators in modern ham receivers.

I'm not how they did that or what for, or why they wouldn't want you to transmit a single tone over a cell phone.

- - -
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2011, 02:42:44 PM »

The vocoder is looking for human speech. They don't know what to do with a single tone.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2011, 12:19:43 PM »

I once tried to use a cell phone for remote audio to tone modulate  the transmitter for a test.  It didn't work.  For some  reason, as soon as I inserted a tone in the phone (speaker-to-mic interface) the damn thing would null out the tone.  Must have been like those DSP heterodyne eliminators in modern ham receivers.

I'm not how they did that or what for, or why they wouldn't want you to transmit a single tone over a cell phone.

maybe they don't want you cheating and hacking in a dialup modem.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2011, 12:22:16 PM »

Nope.  Read up  on CELP and the like.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2011, 09:25:58 PM »

I think the battery pack was also used in my VHS camcorder. A large slender black hunk of a battery.

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015