The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:14:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My latest addition to the harem...  (Read 20318 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: August 03, 2010, 09:56:14 PM »

Ever see one of these?  I've always wanted one and finally came across the right one online. This is a used, but very clean Smith & Wesson model 625-6 stainless steel revolver, with 5" barrel. Got it for a decent price. It shoots .45 ACP rounds like the more common Colt 1911 ACP auto pistol.  It's made pre-1997 before the internal locks.  Very few revolvers shoot .45 ACP. (Not to be confused with the standard .45 rimmed round used in "cowboy" guns - but somewhat similar)

I've got 1000's of .45 ACP rounds I loaded by hand years ago for the Colt 1911 ACP auto-pistol, so this revolver is a natural. It uses the same large N frame as a Dirty Harry .44 magnum and weighs about 2 pounds, 8 ounces empty. Very accurate on the range.

I know there's lots of target shooters out there and couldn't resist showing off the new baby... Grin  It should be here next week.

Brief info on the gun and using moon clips for the ACP cartridge:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_625

Here's one of the fastest shooters on the planet shooting 12 rounds with a reload in 2.99 seconds - using a Smith 625:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLk1v5bSFPw

T

Ain't she a beauty?

* 419093000.JPG (243.86 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 456 times.)

* 419093002.JPG (144.82 KB, 900x1200 - viewed 431 times.)

* 419092999.JPG (206.56 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 439 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 10:39:33 PM »

Very nice gun.

I've got a early 1900s Webley that's been converted to fire .45 ACP instead of the original .455 Webley  and a S&W 1917 that was built for WWI, when 1911s were in short supply, and fires .45 ACP. Both revolvers use the full or half moon clips to hold the cartridges.

I assume that that one doesn't use clips and just headspaces on the rim?

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
KC2YOI
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 10:58:29 PM »

Nice Cool
I like that critter.
Anthing special about the lead or can you use the full line of ACP variants?
I load .45 w/ a mish mash of Lyman and RCBS equip. I glommed up primers before they went thru da roof.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 11:46:30 PM »

Nice pistol!    I notice how many hams are shooters too, me included.    The only revolver I own is  a British  Enfield No.2 hammerless.  Used by tank crews. Mine is dated 1943.  Uses .38S&W.  My favorite pistol is my Browning Hi-Power (9MM), and it's cousin the Inglis Hi-Power (dated October 1944).  The Inglis was Canadian made for the military.   My other favorite is my trusty Norinco 1911A1.   Good shooter.

I won't even begin to describe my rifle collection.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 12:08:03 AM »

Very sleek design.  Looks like it is well balanced.

Literally nowhere to shoot near home.  Have to drive into Virginia to find a public range.

bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
w1vtp

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 09:23:11 AM »

Tom

That's a nice looking piece!  I have the 1911 you speak of but for a little excitement on the range I use this one.  41 Mag.  Really comes back on you, ask Brent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.41_Remington_Magnum

Al

* 41_MAG_LEFT.jpg (972.76 KB, 2560x1920 - viewed 443 times.)
KL7OF

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 10:29:21 AM »

Tom....  The tube shoot is coming up!   Middle of November..
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 10:37:45 AM »

Very nice gun.

I've got a early 1900s Webley that's been converted to fire .45 ACP instead of the original .455 Webley  and a S&W 1917 that was built for WWI, when 1911s were in short supply, and fires .45 ACP. Both revolvers use the full or half moon clips to hold the cartridges.

I assume that that one doesn't use clips and just headspaces on the rim?

Yep, converting to .45 ACP can save a lot of money in ammo costs. You're right - the early .45 ACP revolvers were made to fill the WW1 gap for 1911 ACP pistols.

There are moon clips out that are made of plastic and very easy to use... did you know of them? I have a link if needed.  I plan to pick up a bunch and save my fingers on the metal ones.  The clips are needed mainly for ejection. The ejection star has no rim to grab on the ACP round. But the full moon clips certainly are fast for speed loading.

Ed: Nice mil-guns and rifles you have.

Steve: Yep, I was thinking of you and your tube-shoot when I posted this. I wish I was 2700 miles closer - I wud show up...

DJ:  I just use semi-wadcutters loaded with 3.6 grains of BullsEye powder and 230 grain lead bullets.  I suppose any 45 ACP round would work well in the revolver.

Al: That’s a nice .41 magnum. Yes, the kick is something else. I can just imagine what a flame it wud throw at night – make the next shot a blind one…    That sure is an OLD price on that 50 round box of .41 ammo!!! Shocked

With the price of factory ammo soaring, (Obama thing?) I notice not a lot of big caliber shooting these days. It really pays to load your own rounds now. Glad I loaded up 15 years ago and made enuff rounds to last for quite a while of target shooting.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 11:44:06 AM »

I haven't tried the plastic clips but then I don't shoot those guns all that much.

I do use .45 Auto Rim, that I have quite a bit of and reload; makes it back into a cartridge gun instead of clips. I assume yours' would use them as well, but not many companies load it any more. They should fit and it's worth it to track down the brass, I believe Starline still carries it.

WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »

Nice revolver! 45 is a nice caliber in any kind of gun.

A friend of mine has one of those 1917's in 45 and loves it. It shoots very, very well.

I have one of the Ruger Blackhawks with cylinders for both 45LC and 45 ACP. Fun at SASS shoots with the Long Colts, and good for practicing with the less expensive ACP. Seems equally accurate with either cylinder.

And yes, I"ve also noticed that many hams are also shooters. And pilots. And motocyclists. And scuba divers and photographers.  Grin  I think it's something to do with hands on technical hobbies.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
KC2YOI
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 09:48:16 PM »

And yes, I"ve also noticed that many hams are also shooters. And pilots. And motocyclists. And scuba divers and photographers.  Grin  I think it's something to do with hands on technical hobbies.

"Ham Island",
Imagine THAT as a survival series!   Shocked
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 10:48:25 PM »

Tom

That's a nice looking piece!  I have the 1911 you speak of but for a little excitement on the range I use this one.  41 Mag.  Really comes back on you, ask Brent

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.41_Remington_Magnum

Al

I've got the same thing except in .30 carbine. That thing will drive people out of the two adjoining lanes at an indoor range. The muzzle and cylinder gap blast is truly awesome.

I love the triggers on the old, unconverted three screw blackhawks!

KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2010, 11:27:32 PM »

Hi, I have a Smith & Wesson Model 25 with 6" barrel. It's the blued early version of your gun. They are sweet shooters. I love me some Smith & Wesson !

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 01:35:28 AM »

Tom
So that won't blow my head cleeeeeen off??

Tropical humor
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 11:08:55 AM »

Hi, I have a Smith & Wesson Model 25 with 6" barrel. It's the blued early version of your gun. They are sweet shooters. I love me some Smith & Wesson !

How 'bout that. The old ones had the forged parts which is nice. I assume yours has the firing pin mounted on the hammer instead of the frame. Do you shoot it much?

Yes, the S&W older guns are so well made. They feel like precision German engr to me. Whereas, the latest huge stock of guns in the showcases feel like stamped out Russian or Uzi type stuff. You really can see and feel a difference in workmanship these days - so sad. Those older guns are like fine clocks.

The only thing I'm not crazy about on the gun is the cylinder notches on the outside are opposite the cylinder chamber holes. The effective cylinder wall strength is reduced. This is where the gun will break if it were to fail from a heavy load.  

T

K9PNP

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 11:18:45 AM »

Nice weapon.  Sure cheaper to shoot than lots of other ammo, especially since you reload.  Have a 1930's Llama 9mm that looks like a 1911.  Left to. me by my father who carried it in Europe in WWII;  officers thought it was a 1911.  Since Llama is out of business now, hope I don't need parts.  Don't get to shoot as much as I used to due to lack of range facilities locally.  We had a nice range then a certain group parked a mobile home downrange net to it and threatened to filed suit that we were endangering them.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »

How 'bout that. The old ones had the forged parts which is nice. I assume yours has the firing pin mounted on the hammer instead of the frame. Do you shoot it much?

Mine does have the pin on the hammer. I used to shoot it a lot. Not much time now. I bought a hundred rounds of 45 Autorim brass but haven't reloaded it yet.

Mike  Wink

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
w1vtp

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 05:38:06 PM »

<snip quote>

I've got the same thing except in .30 carbine. That thing will drive people out of the two adjoining lanes at an indoor range. The muzzle and cylinder gap blast is truly awesome.

I love the triggers on the old, unconverted three screw blackhawks!

Mine's not been messed with and yup you're right really nice trigger pull.  Took mine to a gunshop to get it scoped and the gunsmith offered to trade my 3 screw for a 5 new - even trade and offered to put the  scope on for free.  I thanked him but "no thanks" and retreated from the gun shop  Grin

Yes, the muzzle blast is pretty firey - even in a lighted gun range.

Al

Tom:  now you've got me thinking about another piece like yours in the 45 ACP
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 05:58:01 PM »

Al:

Here's a listing for used Smith 625's on BunBroker.com. There's also GunsAmerica, but this link seems to have the most. Stay away from the new Jerry M 625-8 models. Get the older 625-6 or earlier.  The JM's are OK, but I know you will appreciate the older ones more, as you do with your .41 mag.

http://www.gunbroker.com/

Then type in "Smith 625" in the search window for a listing.

T

W4EWH

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 06:46:23 PM »

When I was in Vietnam, the Army Criminal Investigators carried an 5-shot "Airweight" model, which I always assumed was standard issue since it was distributed to combat pilots and aircrew by the Air Force. We carried them off-duty as a "downtown" gun, but since I was a line MP, I used the 1911 .45 while on duty.

However, someone told me that there was an "ultra-airweight" model at one time, which was withdrawn by S&W because it would fail during use: I never got more than anecdotal evidence of either the failures or the existence of the weapon.

Anyone have any info?

Bill, W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 09:13:49 PM »

Nice pop gun, Tom.  Grin Fits the hand nicely, bet it has a good balance to it compared to the older pistols, too. Dad's got an old .45 six shooter and I've got his uncle's 1911 that he carried across Europe in WWII. Also a Webley .38, nice little gun. The Fosbery is a neat unit, would love to find one of those someday for a Heathkit price.

I'll post a shot of my Smith & Wesson tomorrow. A little different caliber.... Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 10:57:52 PM »

Nice pop gun, Tom.  Grin Fits the hand nicely, bet it has a good balance to it compared to the older pistols, too. Dad's got an old .45 six shooter and I've got his uncle's 1911 that he carried across Europe in WWII. Also a Webley .38, nice little gun. The Fosbery is a neat unit, would love to find one of those someday for a Heathkit price.

I'll post a shot of my Smith & Wesson tomorrow. A little different caliber.... Grin

Sean Connery with his Webley Fosbery....

http://www.imfdb.org/index.php/Image:Zardoz1.jpg

Now I need to go wash out my eyes!

KC2YOI
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2010, 09:38:10 AM »

We carried them off-duty as a "downtown" gun, but since I was a line MP, I used the 1911 .45 while on duty.

Bill, did you train/ship as 95-Bravo out of Ft. McClellan AL. ?
                                                                                     D
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »

Sean Connery with his Webley Fosbery....

Something I'll always wish I'd never seen!! Hopefully I can separate that shot from the Fosbery going forward.

Here's my S&W. A lot of folks don't realize that they aren't just a handgun manufacturer. It's my household security device. To most crooks, the sound of the action is akin to an alarm going off.

* S&W 916A_1.JPG (556.05 KB, 1600x1200 - viewed 413 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WA1GFZ

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 07:17:19 PM »

very nice heater... my brother has the .38 same style. I am quite accurate with it. My brother shot me in the head with his. I was spotting him one morning in Manchester and the round bounced back over his sholder and split my scalp open.
Hey, can I shoot it if I drop by with some ammo?
my brother painted the bottom of the front sight bright orange so you can aim a lot quicker.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015