The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:37:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent Carriers that Answer CQ  (Read 61161 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: July 10, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »

I'm a CQer.  I know many AMers are not really CQers.  They are apparently content to sit in the "AM Window" and wait for others to show up, then join.  Well I do that on occasion too, but as someone who keeps odd hours due to work schedule, I would be operating very little AM without CQing.  So I'm a CQer.  I usually CQ in and around the usual "watering holes" for AM.

3.655 3.700 3.705 3.725 3.880 3.885 3.890 7.160 7.290 7.293 7.295 14.286 21.420 21.425
29.000 50.400

Assuming I have the capability to do those frequencies at the time (due to present antenna/tuner configurations), I may be CQing on any of those.  Presently I am limited to the 75 meter window (aka ghetto) and all of 40 meter phone.

Now all that being said, I have noticed a strange phenomenon that occurs rather frequently.  If I cq for a while (and this occurs often), I often will hear a dead carrier return for a few seconds.  It is apparently meant for me to hear because it occurs when I'm listening in between calls.  Does anyone else notice this?  I often think "okay maybe someone is tuning up sans dummy load and I'm about to have a contact".  But it doesn't happen.  I'll just get a carrier, often really strong and more than s9.  

Just wondering if this happens to anyone else.

John KX5JT

AMI#1684
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:20:40 PM »

'                   '

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 07:32:25 PM »

What? Me worry?
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:48:03 PM »

When I first saw the topic I thought this was the AM version of a silent key and you were going to spin a Halloween tale  Smiley

I have had the same experience with the carrier response to a CQ.  It is sort of like getting a nibble while fishing and sometimes a signal report (Beautiful S-9 plus 10 carrier with no hum) will result in a response and a chance to set the hook.

Rodger WQ9E
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 07:48:26 PM »

KC2YOI
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2010, 08:24:27 PM »

The wise cracker lamp is lit....  Grin   "                    "

Your not imagining it John, I hear it also as a 3rd party on occasion.

My guess is an opportunistic load up on air as it's a flag for an open frequency.

D.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2010, 08:42:34 PM »

Or you get those unidentified responses, "hey, you got too much carrier on your signal; check your rig"

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 08:45:25 PM »

Or you get those unidentified responses, "hey, you got too much carrier on your signal; check your rig"

I've yet to hear that one.  Grin

AMI#1684
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 09:49:19 PM »

I've yet to hear that one.  Grin

Years ago, sometime in the mid 80s, I got an OO card that said that.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 10:29:10 PM »

"                       "
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 11:30:29 PM »

I often hear carriers with evidence of tuning up going on. The ops don't ID when done, or say 'testing' or anything else.
I figure it's a ssb station tuning up then moving a few KC away to join or start something.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 08:19:32 AM »

some carriers sound like belches. Grin

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »

Didn't Tron develop an effective response to dead carriers on freq.?  Something like "use a dummy load, dummy!"  Kidding aside, I have often noticed a similar phenomenon.  I usually assume that it is either someone who doesn't particularly want to talk, or, perhaps a disgruntled SSBer.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2010, 10:07:44 AM »

I also am a CQ-er, and I also get dead carrier responses. Thought it was my mouthwash at first, but then I realized it's probably someone on a contemporary transceiver checking it out on AM for the first time.

Several times I've encouraged people who proffer a dead carrier by saying "hey, good signal, no audio (pause to listen)." I will then presume they need to be talked through their adjustments, and several times by saying this, it will get someone to actually talk.

They acknowledge that they haven't been on AM before, and weren't sure how to set the rig up.

After some preliminaries, including providing some feedback on their carrier/audio adjustments, we then have a QSO and a new participant on AM.

ka3zlr
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2010, 10:20:49 AM »

...any heavy breathers... Shocked
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2010, 11:25:56 AM »

Is it a strange on off sequence ? - turn on your BFO.

These are the good old days of AM
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 11:43:14 AM »

CQ's answered by dead carriers?  

I think some instances might be fellow AMer's who are not really in the mood to talk at the moment but are feeling frisky - they tease a little by keying up a big carrier for a few seconds. In a sense they've made a "contact" without having to be tied up in a long QSO.... Grin  It's like saying, "Yep, you're being heard - keep calling."  Usually this short distraction turns out to be a good thing - causes dialogue and generates a legitimate call from someone who IS interested in talking - and the QSO gets rolling.  In contrast, sometimes calling CQ can go on forever if there is no response whatsoever.  

That's my guess.

In other instances, I've heard some locals respond to a CQ by dropping a big carrier and pausing. The CQer will say something like, "Wow! What a BIG carrier!" Then the guy will laugh and ID, as the QSO begins. Lots of variations - just part of the game.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K9PNP

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 11:45:10 AM »

Looks like it's just not me that hears this.  I also love the station tuning up [I presume that's what they are doing] and then sending something on CW that doesn't make any sense; something like the old 5-letter code groups.  Did the carrier-only myself once; had turned the audio gain down on the xmtr for some reason and couldn't understand why I had a good carrier and no audio.  Makes you feel really stupid.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
ka3zlr
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »

...CQ-DQ.... Grin it's getten hot out.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 03:01:57 PM »

Ive always figured it was some senile old coot (or stoned younger one) who forgot to turn the switch from tune to AM or his D-104 battery died Roll Eyes
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 03:29:11 PM »

My D-104 doesn't have a battery in it.

I have on occasion dropped my T/R switch that is attached to the spiral cord on the floor, and not been able to find it.

Even more annoying than the "ghost carriers" that answer CQs without audio is the ones that tune up on top of an ongoing AM QSO but never identify or attempt to actually break into the QSO.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 03:39:52 PM »

The again maybe they think they're dropping the Maul...LOL Cheesy

I Strapped that guy..LOL Cool
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »

Just happened to me again on 7.160.... BIG Carrier right after I dropped the key on my first CQ.  NOW I WONDER IF IT'S ONE OF YOU JOKERS! HAH!

John

AMI#1684
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 07:33:58 PM »

YOUR VFO is sticking on in the Transmitter after a long transmission of calling CQ.. LOL  Next time, Yank the xtal out or turn the TX-VFO and watch it go away.. LOL!!!

C
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 08:13:39 PM »

Hah, no it's not that Clark, however I have left my VFO on spot before and of course that puts an s9 signal on the receiver...  Cool

AMI#1684
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015