The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 08:21:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: moving day upcometh and I'm getting nervous.  (Read 22525 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 04:23:24 PM »

well, I take it as a sign that I'm probably spending too much time in front of a computer rappin about radio and not enough time actually doing radio. Guilty as charged I think.

I can fix this.
W2INR
Radio Syracuse
Founding

Syracuse Radio W2INR

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2010, 04:46:06 PM »

Actually Derb if you are guilty of anything  you are guilty of over thinking a simple task.

The only task I see right now is getting Ray from A to B. Whether it has casters, iron in it or out, upside down or sideways, doesn't really matter right now. Just do what you need to do to get it to your station. Then once it is there you will be able to have some friends over to help you with the small stuff.

G

G - The INR

Amateur Weather Station KNYSYRAC64
Creator - owner - AMfone.net - 2001 - 2010
Founding Member - NEAR-Fest
SWLR-RNŲ54
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »

Not quite sure what is causing the somewhat contentious tone??

Sorry about that, no tone intended - contentious or otherwise (it's text, after all). Just frustration in what looks to me like over-complicating the task. I'm thinking around the next curve, to the transmitter landing at Derb's place and his having to deal with it. Photos he's posted of his shop and radio room didn't look like he had a lot of room to have a big transmitter sitting in the middle of the floor. Cost of casters should be irrelevant since it's a one time expense (I paid $30 for 5 good used ones, they add just over an inch to overall height). Again, the idea would be to make it easier for Derb on his end. I'm sure if Derb was his old self, we'd not even be having this discussion.

Actually Derb if you are guilty of anything  you are guilty of over thinking a simple task.
Precisely.

If you move it on its side, you have to move it on pipes which are more unstable, or you have to remove the pipes and put them back under when you unload. 2 more steps. So since the transmitter has no casters now and needs to be tipped over anyhow, it seems far simpler to me to do it all on one end. Tip it over, add the casters, stand it back up, put the iron back in, drop it at Derb's place intact and ready to plug in. 2 people go get it, load it, drive it back, unload it.

No need for trying to organize a crew at both ends, which makes Derb's life a lot easier too. Simple.  Smiley

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 06:34:44 PM »

pipes are extremely stable, not sure why you would say otherwise...

Take a look at the casters on a typical 1.5Ton floor jack, the steel ones, they are the lightest that I would consider using...
I should post a jpeg of the ones on the cast frame that sits under the mere 700lbs of T-368...

What I am worried about is casters that have insufficient rating - the bearings, the axle pin, the round rolly-polly part - and especially the part that holds it all up (the frame?) - will collapse with a catastrophic result, without any warning.

The problem is that during a move, the forces and load can suddenly look like all of the weight is on a single caster... then whoops!

I like the multiple roller thingies that were mentioned, that might fly, dunno, never used them... kinda depends a bit on what the surface is that is going to have to be rolled over. Asphalt for example can be rather unpleasant...

pipes are both stable and spread the load over an uneven surface...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2010, 06:38:40 PM »

PLS stay tuned for some pics of Ray and some insight about wheels.
I made a mistake and allowed the computer to download ALL of my wife's 500 pics and the three I wanted to process for our discussion is in that bunch. Be back in about an hour......................8:30PM
Thanks
Phred

Fred KC4MOP
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2010, 07:26:44 PM »

pipes are extremely stable, not sure why you would say otherwise...

pipes are both stable and spread the load over an uneven surface...

True, but re-read what I wrote with respect to using pipes. I was talking about moving the transmitter on pipes in the truck, over the road. Very unstable, since the pipes are attached to nothing and only held in place by weight, which can and will shift in transit due to bumps, acceleration/deceleration, and so on. The load can not only move forward and back, it can slide side to side or move enough for the pipes to fall our or bunch up. Therefore you have to remove the load from the pipes, and get it back onto the pipes on the other end. 2 more unnecessary steps requiring more people.

My argument isn't that pipes don't work or won't work, simply that the caster route would be easier and serve Derb better. Which I thought was the original point. Getting the transmitter to Derb's place quickly and efficiently, with the least amount of screwing around. Doesn't have to be expensive to be efficient.

Nothing more from here.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2010, 08:06:55 PM »

And so it goes, the ongoing saga of the lost Uncle Ray...  

Will he ever find his way home ?

Stay tuned for the next chapter of this never ending saga...

PS:    Hi G !

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2010, 08:26:36 PM »

My last post. Sorry, I realize and Roger KC8OPP also commented on this lengthy discussion.
I'm dispesning of posting pics for the thought of wheels. What I thought would be a space of sorts under the Ray was unclear thinking. The "floor" of the TX is almost flat to the floor. And I think I pick up on what "bear" is saying why he wouldn't mount wheels. I don't think the metal would handle that weight.
Roger mentioned a massive tear down to lighten the box, the iron, the chassis, and even removing the outer shell, when he moved his RA250 to his QTH. Pretty intensive teardown
Sooooooooo, it's either take the iron and lay Ray on his side as I brought it to my QTH or pay the price for riggers to manhandle the box on AND OFF at both ends.
There were some pics posted of an RA  Huh moving on a piece of plywood on some sort of rollers in this thread, Tim, let's copy that or do the removal of the iron and plain old manpower to get it to your operating position.

Sorry Gary for the chatter. Tim took a huge step to buy a B'cast box and he got the best sounding one available, but one of the heaviest known to mankind. His confidence level to re-assemble the TX is wavering with the medical hassles ahead.
Tim, if you go for removing the iron and anything else I'll go to your QTH, after it's in place and 220 is wired nearby and and we'll put it together and turn it on
KC4MOP signing........

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2010, 09:53:23 PM »

Fred,

I vote for the teardown. I have new radiation treatments starting in Roanoke VA on May 20th.

When can me and the missus come up with a toolbox? Come up Friday, work Saturday go back down sunday.

We'll tear that thing down as far as needed to get the case here and I will build it back up on this end.

No riggers. I'll save a lot of money telling them to screw off.

no more posts here, we can use the phone and mail.

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2010, 08:38:36 PM »

WOW, it's been almost 24 hours...  I guess this thread is actually dead...

R. I. P.

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »

Just my .02 worth........................... I have been following this as well.

Short, sweet and simple--------Remove the Iron, tip it onto it's side and roll it on pipes. When you get it home, before tipping it up, while it's still on it's side, install the bottom casters if you want them. Tip it back up vertical. Now sitting on casterz reinstall the iron and roll it into place.....................DONE! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Itz not like you're moving a house. (although it's almost as big)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
ka3zlr
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2010, 09:39:01 AM »

Not till the Job is complete  Cool

I don't think the lot of you even know what Safe Jacks are cuz if ya
did you wouldn't be plotting the use of Caveman Construction Techniques..

But that's unimportant cut the pipe in 4 foot sections yer gona need at
least ten pcs. to be safe,,yer gona need 4 guys one placer one catcher
and two directors. have Fun on yer run.... Smiley

Jack.

flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »

I know I said I wuld not post any more,,,,,,,,,BUT called a couple of good locksmiths and they will be visitng to give an assessment later.
You see guys.....the trouble is man power.....the amateur club in New Castle is mostly physically un-fit old farts like me and New Castle Pa is soooo far away from the rest of Hamdom. DERB's end is not so bad but he is dealing with medical hassles and is hoping that Ray will one day arrive in his QTH.
Right now it's in the middle of my garage and I cannot use the garage for anything.

Even with the iron out and the other chassis it takes 5 guys maybe 4 hefty guys, according to Roger KC8OPP. That's why 60 yr old things like this are still around.

When I picked it up from Jay there were five healthy guys that lifted Ray up and carried out to the rental. Iron outta box. This end was four old farts like me and my cousin who lifts weights, but was leary about hurting himself. So, I don't want to call him for this move.

We'll get it one day.......peace love and understanding.........Phred

Fred KC4MOP
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2010, 07:44:40 PM »

Just for claity sake - and to answer Todd - you do not keep the transmitter on pipes once it is moved anywhere.
In the truck, or at the QTH. Pipes are for moving. And you only absolutely need 4 pipes. Two or three under the rig, one ahead... take the pipes OUT after it is in the truck.

More pipes can be easier...

Superhet suggested the "45 degree" tie down method too...

Usually BC xmitrs have the wires already labeled (well maybe not all of them...) but you want to just label the wires and then label the places that wires go - or make a CLeAR diagram... remove the wires, replace the hardware where it goes.

I'd buy those wiremarker pre numbered labels if you don't already have them, because you don't have to pull them all off after you put the thing back together, whereas if you use masking tape and a marker, you might have to pull them all... electrical supply houses sell those things... get some numerical some alphabetical.

An hour or two doing the pulling out of iron.

For clarity make a diagram showing which way the iron mounted into the chassis or mark the chassis UNDER where the iron
goes with a permanent marker - no one is going to see it ever again once the iron goes back in.

I dunno what the load out looks like, but if the thing can be made to roll out standing up, then I could use the lift gate to make it tip. You use some bars, some blocks, and slowly lift one side to make it tip against the lift gate... depending on the geometry, you either roll the truck ahead some or else just lower the gate... if you do it right it will just tip over nicely... a little steadying, or some basic rigging will keep it stable... (ropes, a snatch block or two??). Those moving blankets keep things from going  BANG hard and from scratching... carpeting is good for some of this too...

then more physics and balancing and one person can swing the thing around 90 degrees onto the lift gate.

a little more rigging and the like will keep it from tipping while it gets lifted up in the air...

This is the idea.

NOTHING is done fast[/1]!!

slow increments... after a little bit - Viola!

there it is.

When some one asks you how you did it, you just motion to show how and say "I just grabbed it an picked it up"!

Don't forget to say too "it was easy..."!  (yeah, right...)

Ok... I've said enough.
PM or email if anyone actually involved in the project wants to ask any questions of moi?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015