The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 10:56:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: moving day upcometh and I'm getting nervous.  (Read 22526 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:00:48 PM »

ever had a unexplainable string of bad stuff happen just when you didnt need it to?

after 115K on the original brakes on the RAM, passing inspection each year, the fronts decide to go out on us the same week we have to trailer a 1300 pound transmitter up and down the PA mountains.

ka ching  -$300 bucks.

On the way back from her workplace, (with me along) Glo takes a right hand turn a bit too close , a turn that just happens to have a utility pole about 10 inches off the curve on he inside. She clips the pole going about 35 with the right side mirror which saves itself by folding on it's hinge. busts out every inch of glass. truck body not even scratched. few little marks in passenger side window.

have to buy the whole right side mirror to fix it. Have to fix it because U haul wont let you have a trailer if any of the mirrors are gone/damaged.

ka ching -$400 bucks for new mirror and installation - putting it in wed. already paid.

The closer I get to moving day, the more unexpected costly WTF crap is happening.  Angry

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:28:23 PM »

flat front tire
rear end needs new brakes
rear end needs new spring shackles
A/C doesn't werk
critter ate up part of wiring harness
needs new exhaust system
chain saw busted
the house water heater started leaking
wife lost her job
the last two weeks wer interesting..... 

and Derb's got that gamma knife thing

but, its still a day above ground and 6m was open ......

klc

What? Me worry?
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 11:43:46 PM »

Went to put the 944 Turbo into storage last fall. Started it up a day early, cranked really slow. Went to adjust the mirror, came off in my hand. Drove to work, seemed like the heater was stuck on. Checked the battery at breaktime, 10 am, it was at 11 volts.. Stopped at autozone at 5, had them check the bat, 20 amps cranking power they said... geez, wonder why it cranked ever so slow.. gimme a new bat I said.

Fast forward... got the car outta storage.. The new bat works fine, got a glue kit for the mirror and it's back in place. And the heat doesn't seem like its on all the time.

Derb, I hope all goes well with your tx rescue.. seems like things always end up for the best in the end.. gud luck bro
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 04:21:14 AM »

tnx ed and all.....stuff happens all the time tis true but right now I just need this to go off without any more wierd out of the blue crap happening. Tongue
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 08:21:17 AM »

If you haven't already replaced that mirror, check with auto glass places.  Down here they will cut (or already have cut) a replacement mirror and install it if the frame isn't bent.  Last one I had replaced was about 50 bucks.
K7NCR
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 08:31:06 AM »

ka ching -$400 bucks for new mirror and installation - putting it in wed. already paid.

The closer I get to moving day, the more unexpected costly WTF crap is happening.  Angry

Derb,
I know you already paid, but,,,
I work for a Dodge parts dept. If you send me the last 9 of the VIN, I may have a take-off mirror avail. for a LOT less $$, or maybe a part number for just the glass, as long as the mirror adjusting mechanism is OK.
Reply here, or call me 406-212-0059
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »

flat front tire
rear end needs new brakes
rear end needs new spring shackles
A/C doesn't werk
critter ate up part of wiring harness
needs new exhaust system
chain saw busted
the house water heater started leaking
wife lost her job
the last two weeks wer interesting..... 

and Derb's got that gamma knife thing

but, its still a day above ground and 6m was open ......

klc

Been there, done that!  A squirrel crawled under the hood of our Dodge Caravan a few years ago.....ate up the wiring harness...cost over $2K to fix it!  Fortunately, it  was covered by insurance, but seems that I could have spliced those wires myself for $2K!! Hi Hi FB OM  .   Shocked Tongue

All aside Derb, best of luck with the moving project.  Hope everything goes well!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
Superhet66
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 09:43:38 AM »

Could be worse, you could be the owner of this poor critter.... Shocked

WARNING: Graphic/Violent content with gushing fluids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfttA0mds-c&feature=email
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 03:09:07 PM »

ROGER on the glass place sticking on a new mirror. Needed one for the driver side. Seems like GM had a wasted idea for a mirror that would electronically darken if headlights were shining on it. Something about the oil inside the mirror. Glass shop pasted a stick on mirror for $35 instead of all out original.

We're going through a similar money drain as we prepare for our extended journey half-way around the Whirl. Things breaking............so far I am fixing stuff ok, just getting tired of additonal burdens.

Tim and Glo, take it slow and easy. It's a 250 mi hike and it's early Spring. Stop and breath fresh air.

Phred

That poor engine died a horrible gruesome death awful!!!!!!!!!

Fred KC4MOP
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 07:49:17 PM »

Fred, gimme a call on the phone. I've run out of money and had bad news on the cancer front today. Move is not going to happen this weekend.

Going to have to wait until the doctors figure out something new for me and I get enough money saved back up.  Sad

Ray might have to hang out at your place some more - it's looking more likely that I'll have to go back to daily radiation treatments.  CyberKnife is NG for me - they cant use it on me.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 07:51:10 PM »

here's the $400 mirror - this is where all my rigger money went.

* P1040343_3.jpg (130.4 KB, 640x480 - viewed 361 times.)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 09:26:52 PM »

To quote Rodney Dangerfield:

"It's been a rough day. I got up this morning, put a shirt on and a button fell off. I picked up my briefcase and the handle came off. I opened the closet and the door knob broke off..Now I'm afraid to go to the bathroom..."

It'll be OK, man.
WQ9E

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 09:29:29 PM »

Tim,

It sounds like it is too late for this time but the junkyard is your friend; your truck model is pretty common and parts (like a mirror) are going to be much cheaper than at the dealer.  Sort of like going to a hamfest Smiley  You can always get an independent shop to do the install (also cheaper than a dealer).

Rodger WQ9E
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »

Damn that stinks but remember my friend, getting Ray will be all the more sweeter when it happens after all this frustration.   Victory is sweet.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 10:51:56 PM »

just really bad timing. I'll hit the reset button and try again when I get up enough money to pay the riggers and hire some muscle on my end.

The mirror was the killer - if not for that I still would have been good to go. that was my money to pay them.... poof.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 11:45:08 PM »

I can't believe $400 for a friggin mirror.  Anything to do with an automobile is a ripoff. I would have gone to Wal-of-China Fart and bought a shaving mirror about the right size, taken the glass out, and epoxied it in place inside the original frame, or else used filament tape to tape it in.  All you have to have to legally pull the trailer is a mirror, right?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2010, 12:36:52 AM »

I'm not thinking real quick these days.  I do know that when Glo moved down here and we towed her stuff in a 5X8 enclosed cargo u haul,  the guy went around the truck and checked both mirrors for folding motion and pulled them vertical too before he hooked us up. Also checked all the lamps.

I know the guy in Johnstown would have refused , I think it's just a matter of who you get..... but the one in J town was owned by uhaul itself. They have a big repair facility there.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 01:18:25 AM »

too late? but maybe you could have silicon glued one of those big round mirrors on it for temporary. Done that and got by with an inspection. I am sure hatin to see all this stuff stacking up Derb. look, maybe that's the end of it. If I was closer I'd help move that rig myself. I have moved 1300 LB BTA250 myself before with a 1/2 ton pickup from Kansas to TX. Wasn't easy or anything, but I wish I could help.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2010, 01:50:51 PM »

Derb,
You may want to look into changing the mirror yourself.  I have done  changed at least 3 of them out and it took me no more than 30 minutes each.  I got the replacement mirror assembly on-line at a much lower cost than the dealer prices.  They were original OEM parts but at drastically reduced prices.  They came painted and all.  These were motorized jaspers and I paid right around 100 bucks.  On the ones that I did, I did not even have to remove the door panels.  Usually their is panel on the inside of your door that directly in back of the assembly.  You pop that off and get to the screws and away you go.  The connector is near-by and that's that. 
If all else fails, I think U hall may even rent mirror that temporarily attach to the door. 
Just some thoughts....
Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2010, 02:23:47 PM »

Ooog...

Ummm... next time:

Do NOT PANIC!!!!

I would have phoned the junk yard...
barring that, the glue in for a temporary fix - maybe double stick foam tape?

Ask on here first - seems like folks have a range of good ideas and solutions!!

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 04:16:31 PM »

Derb,

The rental place will strap on a leased mirror to your truck for about $15 extra. Many customer trucks need them to extend out far enuff to see around the trailor, so they are popular.

Afterwards, do what the guys are saying - glue in a smaller mirror to the old frame and be done wid it. You can even stop by one of those plate glass places and they will custom cut your mirror cheaply - to fit FB.    F**k $400 for a mirror!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K7NCR
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »

Replacement glass assy, for RH power folding trailer tow mirror,
part # 5191036AA, in stock in my store, retail price $47.35.
Is it too late to return your new mirror? The glass assy just snaps into place.
See this link... http://starparts.chrysler.com/tech_tips/en/TT9000398_en_US.html
Norm K7NCR
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 08:30:48 PM »

Norm, this one is not powered. you just snap it in where you want it  and adjust. I dont know if that makes a difference or not.

Will take this to the dealer and ask him why he claimed he cant get just the glass part could not order the glass. this for a 2004 1500 ST short bed with the factory towing package.

if the parts guy lied to me and I can prove it, I can get my money back. They already have it. we have to go up there 1 pm tomorrow.
K7NCR
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2010, 07:56:13 AM »

Derb,
Call me at 406-212-0059 (my altell cell) and give me the last 9 digits of the truck's VIN number. I can tell for sure at that point what mirror it is and if a glass is avail. Call me after 7:30 AM Mountain time. Or post the info here and I'll check back a little later.
Norm.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2010, 08:55:31 AM »

ok Norm I'll give you a call with the info. I'll go get the VIN while we are at breakfast an call ya when we get back, OM.  Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015