The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 12:38:41 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a car [Used] - Thinking about a Volvo - is this a good choice?  (Read 61528 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2009, 12:52:33 PM »

When Ford stops making them?

I can't imagine the local gendarmes ever giving up their Crown Vics.
Ever.

Although I recently say a county mountie in a marked F-250 supercab pickup truck.
Why they need a 3/4 ton truck is beyond me, other than for the intimidation factor.
WA3VJB
« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2009, 12:58:43 PM »

I got to sit in it. Shot this tape. Check out the diesel engine noise.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/tech/2009/03/20/carbon.motors.police.car.cnn

Feller got pissed when I said the grill emblem reminded me of Renault.

ka3zlr
« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2009, 01:09:30 PM »

All it needs is a Para-Pack on the Back....Pro-Stock... Grin

Jack.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2009, 03:40:49 PM »

Hey Bob,
I noticed the cookie sheet is still on the driveway where you parked the truck.
My brother had a B2000 truck years ago the rings got gummed up and it started to burn oil. he switched over to mobile 1 and cleared it out. He drove it about 200K.

Yeah, I'm hoping the drip pan will go away with the new (used) truck I just picked up.  I've been using that pan to catch tranny fluid drips when the transmission shifter seals leaked on the ole Ranger. I replaced them a few years ago but never trusted the Mazda 5 speed tranny from that point on so I kept the pan there especially after the tranny ran dry and had been acting weird. Amazingly even after 240K plus miles the tranny sounds like heck but it never leaked. I'm delivering the ole Ranger to the local salvage yard next week.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2009, 05:25:22 PM »

A fine choice.  It runs on bio diesel.  Maybe Bill can help with the finer points like which is better, grease from a Mexican restaurant or from Chinese take out.

KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2009, 07:04:05 PM »

Ya know, we really have to start using energy sources that don't come out of the ground.

At some point we have to face the question:  What will our great-grand kids use for oil?

73, Karl
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2009, 07:26:42 PM »

No doubt, here's the car for Steve.  America made, too.   

http://www.aptera.com/look.php

Their site is light on the technical details, avoids certain direct answers, and seems a little condescending. Expensive, and you have to get it serviced in the PRK.

# What is the final cost?

1. The Aptera 2 Series vehicle (electric and hybrid) will range in price from $25,000-$40,000 depending on options and powertrain.

# Does the vehicle have air conditioning and heat?

1. Yes, air conditioning and heating are available. Our solar assisted climate control uses energy captured by solar cells embedded into the roof to aid the conventional climate control system that is standard on the vehicle.

That roof's got to be 2 square yards at best.. I am sure the additional 100 watts of electricity from the solar panels is really going to spin up the air conditioner really gooder! And that is likely the $40K version that has the "available" A/C.. The "conventional climate control system that is standard.." is probably what we call the "vent" in a regular car. If I am wrong, they can prove me wrong.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2009, 07:42:36 PM »

Their site is light on the technical details, avoids certain direct answers, and seems a little condescending. Expensive, and you have to get it serviced in the PRK.

# What is the final cost?

1. The Aptera 2 Series vehicle (electric and hybrid) will range in price from $25,000-$40,000 depending on options and powertrain.

# Does the vehicle have air conditioning and heat?

1. Yes, air conditioning and heating are available. Our solar assisted climate control uses energy captured by solar cells embedded into the roof to aid the conventional climate control system that is standard on the vehicle.

That roof's got to be 2 square yards at best.. I am sure the additional 100 watts of electricity from the solar panels is really going to spin up the air conditioner really gooder! And that is likely the $40K version that has the "available" A/C.. The "conventional climate control system that is standard.." is probably what we call the "vent" in a regular car. If I am wrong, they can prove me wrong.
Yeah, but Steve would look good in it (if he could fit).
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2009, 10:24:23 PM »

Yeah, but Steve would look good in it (if he could fit).

Naahhh... I'm looking for used !  I can't afford anything new, but even if I could, I'd go used anyway.  The depreciation of a new car in the first couple of years is amazing!!!!!  Tongue

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
kb3nqd
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2009, 09:38:00 AM »

When Ford stops making them?

I personally question Ford's wisdom in killing off what possibly is the most commonly used fleet vehicle on the planet but they seem to have a plan to redefine and "reinvent" themselves that looks like it's working so who am I to question it?
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2009, 05:13:44 PM »

Steve,

When asked about this sort of thing I often reply " any new car is good ".
That applies to any car with less than about 40kmi... they all seem good.
You start culling the herd as the milage goes up.

The price point is proportional to the milage.

So, the question really is what is your price point going to be.

If you want the ultimate reliable car, great for winter, and almost indestructable engine and tranny it is Subaru. I've run several over 200kmi, rust killed 'em.

If you want a high mpg car then ur into stuff like a Ford Focus, Toyota, Nissan, Honda - the smaller cars in their line.

Nissan engines just don't last like a 'baru... No one I know has had any fun with an older (hi mileage) Toyota or Honda. That's over 150kmi. The Accord is a great car to drive, imho. They made a wagon, if you can find one.

The VW diesel is like gold. Try to find one. Smallish though... great mpg.

I can't stand most American cars, I find them to be made funny, they don't "fit" my body at all, and stuff seems to break off and turn to ugly crap (the plastic you know...) after only a few years, when the import stuff still looks ok... I drive them as rentals, have yet to find one that I got out of and lusted for. Ok, I didn't rent the big full size cars, or a Crown Vic...

Some of the small compact "SUV" type vehicles seem nice, but not so great on gas - but neither is a full size Lincoln... maybe that's the ticket for you?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2009, 01:01:45 AM »

Ok, here's another one - why are there so darn many SILVER cars out there?  I can't stand silver  Wink  (at least on cars).

There seem to be millions silver cars out there on the used market.  Silver and also Black.  Neither of which I have any affection for whatsoever.  Looking around, it definitely does seem to be the most popular color (silver).  What gives?

Still looking :-)

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #62 on: June 01, 2009, 02:26:58 AM »

Ok, here's another one - why are there so darn many SILVER cars out there?  I can't stand silver  Wink  (at least on cars).

There seem to be millions silver cars out there on the used market.  Silver and also Black.  Neither of which I have any affection for whatsoever.  Looking around, it definitely does seem to be the most popular color (silver).  What gives?

Still looking :-)

Regards,

Steve

I'm with you on silver.  The evidence is, however, that we're a minority. Most people like it. I read somewhere that silver is the number one color for cars. I'm not with you on black.  I think black cars look great (for 15 minutes after you wash them) and are just fine (as long as you don't drive them during the summer).

Wait.  I just figured it out.  Those are the only colors people understand.  I looked at a new car brochure not too long ago. The colors are ones we didn't have in the Crayon box -- "silver pine mica", "wave line pearl" and "sandy beach metallic."  What the heck are those?  But there was also just plain black. 
NE4AM

« Reply #63 on: June 01, 2009, 09:41:02 AM »

Ya know, we really have to start using energy sources that don't come out of the ground.

At some point we have to face the question:  What will our great-grand kids use for oil?

73, Karl

Whales?

73 - Dave
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #64 on: June 01, 2009, 10:27:00 AM »

There are known reserves of oil good for at least 100 years. We aren't going to run out of oil in our grand children's lives.
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #65 on: June 01, 2009, 02:54:19 PM »

With the amount we've already pumped out...and additional huge reserves found all the time...it makes one wonder if it's really fossil fuel at all.   

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #66 on: June 01, 2009, 10:31:10 PM »

Hr is the Dope OM',                                           

* exxon_mobile soylent green.jpg (40.85 KB, 350x466 - viewed 669 times.)

What? Me worry?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2009, 10:46:19 PM »

Update:  Well, I finally got a car  Cool

I ended up getting a 2006 Volvo XC90 (AWD)  5 cylinder with 40k miles in excellent condition.

Nice thing about the car - I got the Volvo - covers everything except wear items - warranty good until *2014* (or 100k miles).  Since I only drive about 10k - 12k miles per year (My current car - a 1994 Town Car bought in 1996 with 30k miles has 187k miles on it!), the warranty makes very good sense.  Also covered is corrosion (body rot) for something like 14 years, and any dings, dents, scratchs, interior damage, etc. is covered (with a $100 deductable) until 2013.

I looked at a *LOT* of cars - drove a lot of cars, crawled under a lot of cars, read a lot of reports, and ended up liking the XC90 the best.

The warranty was a major factor.  So was the headroom (I am very tall in the torso).  I hit my head (or come close) in many modern automobiles.

A lot of folks here answered questions and provided information - and I thank everyone who helped me !!!!  I buy cars very seldomly, and like to do moocho research. 

I'm also very much into safety (hence the Lincoln Town Car - very safe, and now the Volvo, also very very safe).

I was able to access all of the Volvo dealer service records (thank you Bruce for this bit of advise) for the car - every oil change, part replacement, etc. was available - a complete history.

Anyway, that's it !   Again, thanks to everyone who helped me in this effort.  I really appreciate it !

Regards,

Steve

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2009, 02:27:18 AM »

Good deal.

My daughter bought a used Honda and all the service history on it was on the computer at the local dealer.

It's good to have that data on hand.  Without it, paying anywhere near book value is a crap shoot, since you don't know if the previous owner might have run 20K miles without changing oil or neglected other maintenance.

I get about as much thrill out of car shopping as I do clothes shopping.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2009, 06:37:02 AM »

Don said:
I get about as much thrill out of car shopping as I do clothes shopping.

At least it does something for you. I think I would rather jump face first into a field of cactus then try to buy a car. Completely abhorring! Steve, I'm curious as to how the ride is. Back in the early '90's when I was road meat, I got a rental every week. My boss told me to rent a Volvo should I have the chance, (that was all he owned). I found the suspension stiff and the passenger/driver compartment rather compressed and boxy.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1UJR
« Reply #70 on: August 04, 2009, 08:14:50 AM »

Sweet ride Steve, you're really going to love it!
Cool XC90 site -->>http://www.swedespeed.com/gallery/gallery2.php?mode=album&album=/FWD%20and%20AWD/XC90

I've had my XC90 for 45K trouble free miles, just a wonderful vehicle.
Only thing that I don't love is the fuel econ, I have the twin turbo model, but that's only a hassle on trips, I live
5 miles from my office.

Great for hauling back all of those boat anchors! (and clip leads)

steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #71 on: August 04, 2009, 08:46:55 AM »

Only thing that I don't love is the fuel econ, I have the twin turbo model, but that's only a hassle on trips, I live
5 miles from my office.

Seems about the same as my Lincoln (about 20 around town).   It should end up being better than that.  The Lincoln has a V8 and the Volvo has the 5 cyl, and the Lincoln is a really big car.... but, I'll have to see.  I'll be happy if it's up there around 22 or so.

I seem to get better MPG than the "ratings" for all the cars I drive.  Comes from driving like an old buzzard, I guess  Grin Cheesy Cool

W1UJR
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2009, 10:00:45 AM »

If you have a doubt about the durability of the Volvo engine, check this "Cash For Clunkers" video as they try to destroy a Volvo engine with silica and water in place of engine oil.  Shocked

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waj2KrKYTZo
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2009, 10:41:28 AM »

Oh man!!  Shocked

First off, it's missing a whole cylinder! What's that 5 cylinders????
What did they do with the 6th? I mean really, that's like those half gallons of ice cream that suddenly became 1.65 liters instead of a half gallon, for the same price!!

Then, on top of that you go and buy a SILVER car??

This can't be good...

Ok, maybe if you get some flames put on the sides, or maybe big stripes up the hood and roof? How about a big round white dot with a racing number in the middle, like "73"??

Alright, alright, we can forgive you for both the yuppified Volvo ride, Steve, AND the silver car that is missing the cylinder (what else did they leave out?), the leather seats (are they heated?) IF and only if you put a man's ham radio antenna on it!!!

10-4 gud buddy?  Grin

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2009, 12:48:52 PM »

If you have a doubt about the durability of the Volvo engine, check this "Cash For Clunkers" video as they try to destroy a Volvo engine with silica and water in place of engine oil.  Shocked

Interesting video Bruce. I've always held the Volvo brand in high regard. Maybe it's just me, but that sure looks like a complete waste of a nice vehicle. It's not the image I have of what a clunker looks like...

* cashforclunkers.jpg (31.38 KB, 408x380 - viewed 658 times.)

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015