The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 06:31:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The "Shack"  (Read 14505 times)
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »

What about the "Love Shack"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leohcvmf8kM
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 02:57:15 PM »

Is this like the Tron?

Fannie Mae was going to change its name to FM, but after it caused our current financial disaster, it should be called, FU, since that's what it did to all of us.
ve6pg

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 05:29:27 PM »

..ok..with the name changing to "the shack",...does anyone have any ideas what the name might have been, for  "the gap".?

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W1GFH
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 05:40:21 PM »

..ok..with the name changing to "the shack",...does anyone have any ideas what the name might have been, for  "the gap".?

..sk..

The "gap" originally referred to the "generation gap" (and the clothing favored by those on the youthful side of it) which was still a hot topic when the first GAP store opened in 1969.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 07:58:32 PM »

What about the "Love Shack"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leohcvmf8kM

Or the "Sugar Shack"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DW8ecqu0Iw&feature=related

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »

The last time I went to the Rat Shack was to buy some 1/10 amp fuses. The clerk said we don't have any that size. So he let me look at the stock, and I picked out several labeled '0.1 amp and showed them to him. He said, "But those are point one amp, not what you're looking for." Duh!

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
ka3zlr
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2009, 08:44:16 PM »

Well I don't mind so much when you have to educate them on parts, the ones that wana learn about things it's the pushy ones that what do you want I'll find it....and it's like look junior half the fun in shopping is shopping...I'll find it myself..

WA1GFZ

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »

Well they could double their prices and hire smarter help but I prefer cheaper prices so put up with the talent.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2009, 09:52:09 PM »

The last time I went to the Rat Shack was to buy some 1/10 amp fuses...
Walt

I had a similar experience Walt. I stopped in to "The Shack" to grab an assortment pack of low value capacitors and was greeted by the "helpful" store manager right at the door. When he asked me what I was looking for I told him I wanted an assortment of capacitors in the 200 picofarad to 50 picofarad range. He turned around and yelled across the store to one of his clerks, "Do we have any picofarads back there?" How could I not be amused?

Rob

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2009, 10:39:58 PM »

In defense of the clueless rat shack employees, (and No, I don't know one), they are just working a job. The job doesn't pay enough to attract an experienced electronics guy. It wouldn't matter to them if it was rat shack, or a dep store, or whatever. It's just a paycheck. I certainly wouldn't sell what I know about the hvac biz to a supply house parts counter for 12 bux an hour, hell no.

Of course I'm one of those lucky SOB's that still has a real component level electronics parts store right here in town. 

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2009, 10:06:09 AM »

Well they could double their prices and hire smarter help but I prefer cheaper prices so put up with the talent.

Precisely the reason that Wal-Mart does so well.  Grin

It's tough to fault a company for trying to remain relevant and connected in today's IT world. So few of us truly appreciate the 'radio' side of things these days. Makes me think of the milsurplus guys who get bent outta shape over a radio being used in a movie that isn't 'period-correct'. Like the other 99.9999% of the world will notice enough to make it worth the effort and expense?

Saw one of their new ads last night, 'The Shack' followed by 'RadioShack'. Guess they want to break it to us gently.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2009, 12:06:30 PM »

In defense of the clueless rat shack employees, (and No, I don't know one), they are just working a job. The job doesn't pay enough to attract an experienced electronics guy. It wouldn't matter to them if it was rat shack, or a dep store, or whatever. It's just a paycheck. I certainly wouldn't sell what I know about the hvac biz to a supply house parts counter for 12 bux an hour, hell no.

Of course I'm one of those lucky SOB's that still has a real component level electronics parts store right here in town. 

Please don't ruin a perfectly good rant with facts. Some are still at level 1 of therapy and need to be allowed to vent regardless of validity.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015