The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 08:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need a car [Used] - Thinking about a Volvo - is this a good choice?  (Read 61172 times)
Ed W1XAW
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2009, 06:19:38 PM »

The word "Volvo" is a code word for "from away" in Maine.   The price/value equation will come down on the side of a better domestic car every time.    Of course you won't be able to fool us Mainiacs that you are a plaid jacket wearing college professor pseudo intelectual type if you're driving a Ford.
kc2ifr
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2009, 06:26:12 PM »

Steve,
Aren't u glad u asked.......... Roll Eyes
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2009, 07:51:05 PM »

I think a Volvo is a terrible car. If anything breaks, and it will on a used one, it will cost big $. I always buy American cars, mostly GM, always used, and have very little trouble and low maintenance/repair costs.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2009, 07:56:29 PM »

There's a lot to be said for Chevies, Buicks, Fords, and the like... the aftermarket replacement/rebuilt parts are minisculy cheap in comparison to foreign makes, and they're generally much easier (i.e. less labor = less expensive) to replace.

Example:  had to replace the parking light lens on the Crown Vic when wifey nudged a post.  $10, new, on eBay.  Rebuilt alternator and starter for my Chevy pickemup - $30 each, and both have lasted more than 60,000 miles.  Brake rotors for the Crown Vic - $20 each.   Bazillions of these cars were made and support a healthy aftermarket.

I worked in an independent Jaguar shop when I was in college, and we took in odd strays like old buzzard Mercedes Benzes, Porsches, and I even worked on a Citroen SM once.   My unpleasant experiences there with poorly engineered designs (like dropping the rear axles to replace the inboard brake rotors on a Jag XJS), and dealing with the Foreign Auto Parts Mafia, have so far neatly quelled any small desire I've had to own a foreign car.

Dave W2VW pointed me once to a website, run by a ham who had some FT-1000 mods on it, which also had a whole litany of fixes for mid-90s Mercedes problems.  Now there's a clear example of a car that's 10X more complex than it ever needs to be.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2009, 08:44:06 PM »

It had 120K  miles on it and looked and ran like a new car, no squeaks, no rattles, no leaks, no oil burning, no hard shifting, no dull paint, no funny things that don't work.

That's the point - to have that much to deal with so early in a vehicle's life is never a good thing IMO. By the time they iron it out, most of it gets changed ('updated'). My '92 Ranger was still on the same engine at 200K, with no real problems beyond the Mazda tranny. At least the pos A4 was bumping 150K when it started falling apart, despite being dealer and Audi-authorized maintained all of its life. The maintenance folder was 2 inches thick with receipts. I can certainly sympathize with your wife, I ended up buying another vehicle and parking the Audi because I'd lost all confidence in its ability to do anything but break down and cost me money.

Example:  had to replace the parking light lens on the Crown Vic when wifey nudged a post.  $10, new, on eBay.  Rebuilt alternator and starter for my Chevy pickemup - $30 each, and both have lasted more than 60,000 miles.  Brake rotors for the Crown Vic - $20 each.   Bazillions of these cars were made and support a healthy aftermarket.

MrMike would agree with you on this. He's played with Crown Vics for ten years plus with very good luck. He gets 25mpg plus with his, but then again - he drives like a granny.  Grin  Had I known sooner that they really aren't gas hogs, you can bet I'd have been driving one. One of the true classic 'can't kill 'em no matter how hard you try' designs.

I worked in an independent Jaguar shop when I was in college, and we took in odd strays like old buzzard Mercedes Benzes, Porsches, and I even worked on a Citroen SM once.   My unpleasant experiences there with poorly engineered designs (like dropping the rear axles to replace the inboard brake rotors on a Jag XJS), and dealing with the Foreign Auto Parts Mafia, have so far neatly quelled any small desire I've had to own a foreign car.

That was actually a pretty hot rear axle set up Jag had. You'd be surprised how many ended up and still end up in street rods. Not really too bad to drop as a complete sub assembly, but it's definitely a bit much to have to go through just to change a set of rotors. It did provide plenty of performance to offset that though, unlike so much of the crap on cars these days. No special 'dealer only' tools required, either. Parts. otoh...  Shocked

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 09:09:13 PM »

Dave W2VW pointed me once to a website, run by a ham who had some FT-1000 mods on it, which also had a whole litany of fixes for mid-90s Mercedes problems.  Now there's a clear example of a car that's 10X more complex than it ever needs to be.

LOL. You mean like most Collins radios?

Ed W1XAW
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 09:30:43 PM »

I'd echo the Crown Vic bit.   I have a 2003 Mecury version that is probably worth no more than two or three good Volvo repairs but it drives nice, drags the whole family on trips, and doesn't act much different than a new car (it only has 115K).  If I granny drive it I can get 25 MPG on the highway.   As much as I love it, next car will be a fuel sipper.   
WB2YGF
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 09:38:31 PM »

I'd echo the Crown Vic bit.   I have a 2003 Mecury version that is probably worth no more than two or three good Volvo repairs but it drives nice, drags the whole family on trips, and doesn't act much different than a new car (it only has 115K).  If I granny drive it I can get 25 MPG on the highway.   As much as I love it, next car will be a fuel sipper.   
I had a friend (SK) who bought nothing but Mercury Grand Marquis with 100K+ on them for next to nothing, and then put another 150K on them with minimal repairs.  Not for me though.  I only drive small cars with 5 speed manuals.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2009, 12:02:36 PM »

VW Jetta or wagon TDI.

45-50 MPG. In town, on the road or wherever. Plenty of torque and power. There's a used car lot across the street and I'm looking at a beauty right now from my office window. If only I had $9K burning a hole in my pocket...
w1vtp

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2009, 01:23:01 PM »

Me too on the Crown Vic.  Mine is a 2001 and +100K.  I have my first repair coming up -- shocks and maybe a part of the steering.  Took it on a long trip and drove at the speed limit -- got 30+ MPG

Al
KA1ZGC
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2009, 02:07:43 PM »

I waited a few days for the aftershocks to pass before posting.  Wink

As a one-time Volvo owner, I can say they are remarkably durable and rugged cars by virtue of their design.

They are also a maintenance headache by virtue of their design.

Volvo are very different in the way they build their cars. Yeah, they've got an internal combustion engine and a wheel at each corner, but their lines are unique, their parts are unique, and their footprint in this market is just small enough to make parts expensive.

Couple that with the fact that you really need a guy who knows Volvos working on it so certain idiosynchracies that all Volvos have aren't overlooked, and you're talking about a vehicle with an above-average maintenance price; both in terms of parts and labor.

Then it becomes a question of ROI. I think they're worth it for yourself or an elderly relative if you've got the money. If you're buying it for your kid and were planning on the two of you doing the maintenance in your driveway or otherwise on the cheap, look for something else.

My $0.02 USD.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2009, 05:31:23 PM »

I just bought a used 98 Mazda B4000 to replace my old  piss beat 250K mile 94 Ranger.  Anyone know anything about a the B4000 series?  If so, please PM me.  I have some questions related to it and I'd like to pick your brain.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
k7yoo

« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2009, 06:39:39 PM »

I love Volvos--as long as they have a B-18 motor, but most of them have dissolved by now. 4 cyl, 4 speed, dirt simple . Forget the new stuff.
all the new stuff is big $ for parts.
Buy Amelican car--Buick LeSabre. I have 2, one for the winter (heater works), one for the summer (AC works)
Skip
WA1GFZ

« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2009, 08:22:11 PM »

Hey Ed the 2003 Merc G.M. my Dad gave me last year has 25K on it. Like a new car.  I was rolling down the road at 80 and still got over 24 MPG. I was told it really does well under 65. I'm not a Ford guy but it is a very solid car.
My only issue it it takes 6.8 quarts of Mobile 1 to do an oil change. I did move up to 10-30 oil. 5-20 is thinner than cat piss. Try packing 6 people in a Volvo like flying Delta.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2009, 08:27:53 PM »

Hey Bob,
I noticed the cookie sheet is still on the driveway where you parked the truck.
My brother had a B2000 truck years ago the rings got gummed up and it started to burn oil. he switched over to mobile 1 and cleared it out. He drove it about 200K.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 01:43:22 AM »

If I were buying a new car, I'd buy a Chevy -- might as well patronize the company you own.  Besides, from what I've heard and read the Malibu is nice car.   But I'm not.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2009, 11:39:23 AM »

I noticed the cookie sheet is still on the driveway where you parked the truck.

Some euro manufacturers threw in the towel. Buy a vehicle with the cookie sheet already fitted underneath.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2009, 11:44:17 AM »

That's the model my wife drives. She won't drive my 1980 Fleetwood without an argument anymore. The Benz isn't too bad unless the evaporator core goes bad. Quietest car on the road. Gets 24 MPG minimum highway. See youtube for top speed videos.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2009, 11:50:07 AM »

I'd stick with something proven to work.

Dave you should know I finally sent the 1988 Dodge Diplomat to a new home. It just didn't have the B-A's to pull the new boat. Some kid who likes hoopties bought it, with your repairs intact and holding well.  He will have fun.

You drove that Dip for a long time. Who says my JSs don't hold up? Do you carry a 10 ohm resistor in your toolbox now?
kb3nqd
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2009, 12:00:22 PM »

It all depends on what's important too you.  Cheap repairs=Lumina, Crown Vic, etc...fleet vehicles that have flooded the market and are fairly dependable.  If safety is your thing it is very hard to beat a Volvo.  If dependability is prime Honda/Toyota (although their parts and the cars themselves are overpriced because everyone wants one).  The most recent model Fords (almost new) have become very reliable and much to their credit it looks like Ford "got it" (specifically Americans don't want crap they want reliable good quality cars).  There are probably as many opinions on this as their are grains of sand on the beach.  My personal opinion is buy an "American" car if you like or "Import", but stay away from the fringes on both markets....Chevy Vega (ugh), Yugo, Jaguar, Karman Ghia, etc...  I hear the Volvo 740 is a very good used car.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2009, 12:13:16 PM »

Isn't Volvo a division of Ford?

Agreed, parts for Japanese cars ain't no bargain, either.

We've got two Fords and a Jeep in the driveway. Might be buying a used Lincoln pimpmobile for my teen-age son next week.

Kids these days don't want to be publicly seen in an SUV or mini van.

Isn't Lincoln a Ford with lock washers?

K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2009, 12:23:01 PM »

No doubt, here's the car for Steve.  America made, too.   

http://www.aptera.com/look.php

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2009, 12:34:59 PM »

Nah. Carbon.

http://www.carbonmotors.com/
ka3zlr
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2009, 12:44:54 PM »

Them Cavilers I bought an taught my girls to drive on Bized down the road FB...easy to work on Cheap...inexpensive...might be hard to find those that got em keep em...LOL

Volvo...heck ya might as well buy an Audi... Grin

Jack.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »

I can't imagine the local gendarmes ever giving up their Crown Vics.
Ever.

Although I recently say a county mountie in a marked F-250 supercab pickup truck.
Why they need a 3/4 ton truck is beyond me, other than for the intimidation factor.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015