The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the Musicians among us !  (Read 14953 times)
WD8BIL
Contributing

« on: December 03, 2007, 03:23:14 PM »

Gibson's new "self tuning" Les Paul !!!

Robo Guitar
W7XXX
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 03:42:58 PM »

I thought I was getting modern when I bought a Flamenco with machine heads and not the traditional pegs. Now buy a Les Paul and the tuning is auto ... amazing! I never minded tuning and wouldn't want this one even I  did play electric, but see some value for beginners that can't tune and accurate tuning for the busy professional player.

Sort of like an automatic antenna tuner compared to having to twist a couple of knobs.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 03:49:27 PM »

I dunno, like old radios I like tweaking my 58 Les Paul.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
AF9J
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 04:02:48 PM »

Ahhhh I don't know Buddly,

I read about the Robo Les Paul in Guitar Player.  I guess in a pinch for changing tunings on the fly during a gig it might be cool.  But typically, once you have the strings stretched in, you don't have to do that much retuning.  Also, I have a feeling that with all of the wood taken away for the body & headstock, due to the added extra hardware in it, it isn't going to have the low mids of a stock 'Paul tonewise.  Besides, I always kept a second guitar not only for a spare, but for alternate tunings on certain songs, during gigs.  Also, not everybody tunes to standard pitches, or even a half step down like Hendrix & SRV did.  Like Van Halen, I've often tuned down a quarter step.  Besides, while I've used Les Pauls for playing heavy rock in bands, I usually prefer other axes.  Les Pauls are cool, but like Strats, everybody uses them.  Oh yeah, and forget about doing Sonic Youth type stuff with the Robo Paul.  Hmm, I wonder how gramps (who was not only a jazz guitarist but a luthier) would feel about it.    

Ellen - AF9J
Who for the first time in 29 years of playing, is now a Telebasher
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 05:37:47 PM »

I want a self-playing guitar.
k3zrf

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 07:53:24 PM »

Gibson's new "self tuning" Les Paul !!!

Isn't that like a 'no code' license?

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 07:45:53 AM »

I never minded tuning

Same here Sam. I don't know anyone I've played with who saw tuning as a "challenging chore".

Also, not everybody tunes to standard pitches, or even a half step down like Hendrix & SRV did.  Like Van Halen, I've often tuned down a quarter step.

I'm sure Ellen, that's accounted for in the tuning scheme here but I agree with ya. There are many times I like to tune the bottom or top E (or both) when playing behind a lead to take advantage of some bass runs n' such.

Mack, you're looking for trouble when your modification itches lead you to ANYTHING of your wife's !! Believe me...... I know  Shocked
W7XXX
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 08:34:34 AM »

LOL on the fingers in the piano. I use to tune pianos using an A pitch fork, then forths and fifths, then test in thirds. Now it can all be done electronically except the jiggling of the tuning hammer. Don't give up Mack. Consider using solonoids that are computer operated. The computer will determine the tension needed and adjust the voltage on the solonoid to pull just perfect. This is continious tuning so your wife's piano will never be out of tune, then maybe she will buy you the robo guitar. LoL!

I wonder if the robo guitar can be set to tune different preferences. In Flamenco some forms call for dropping the E 6 to D. It would be a shame to have to do this manually after investing in a robo tuner.

How about a stringless guitar that has 6 beams of light coming from both directions, the nut and the bridge and by breaking these beams with your fingering the correct tone is electronically produced. This would be called MF or modulated fingering. Only draw back is being called a MFer.
AF9J
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 09:00:44 AM »

I think you can program different tunings into it to use as presets (along with with tuning down say 1/4 step instead of 1/2 step from standard pitch).  Still, it means screwing around with programming in the presets.  BTW, this concept isn't new.  I remember seeing a motorized guitar tuning system advertized back in the late 90s or 2000.  Still, I like my guitar a wee bit more organic.

Ellen - AF9J
The metal chick - working on some screwed up circuit boards at work
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 09:13:27 AM »

Hmmm, I seem to recall that Eddie VanHalen was able to tune his guitar once when he put new strings on and that's it. I also thought the late (great) Stevie Ray Vaughn was able to accomplish this but would never let anyone know what the secret was. Me, I tune my Stratocaster with the handy-dandy Borg tuner. Works for me.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 10:25:19 AM »

Give me an "A" and its done in no time ! Grin
AF9J
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 10:37:05 AM »

Yep,

Ever since Uncle Joe (generation #2 of the guitar players in my family [grampa taught him a lot of guitar setup tricks]) showed me how to properly set up a guitar, tuning issues have been a non-issue (with the exception of an SG back in 1990-91 that sure could scream, but had such a wimpy neck joint, that it was almost impossible to keep in tune).  Still - I could see somebody using the robo tuner if they have a Floyd Rose vibrato on their guitar.  When you break a string on a guitar using one of those things, it's a major pain to retune them.  The robo tuner would make re-tuning a lot faster to do.  Still, the Robo tuner or Robo Les Paul just isn't my cup of tea.

Ellen - AF9J     
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 10:43:06 AM »

Will it do alternate tunings? If a player is into using multiple alternate tunings and didn't want to change guitars, or take a bunch of time to retune, the robotuner would be nice.
AF9J
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 10:58:54 AM »

Yes it will.  That's one of it's main marketing points - quick tuning changes for alternate tunings (such as Dropped D [my favorite], Nashville, Dropped C [for all of the nu-metalers], etc.).

Ellen - AF9J
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »

Cool. Dropped D is easy since only one string is involved. Some of those others would give me a head ache.
W2JBL

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 08:42:57 PM »

i like the programmable tunings idea. i sometimes play slide in a few tunings and the change is time consuming and unprofessional during a gig. having that setup on my pedal steel would be even better.

as to tuners i use an A-440 tuning fork and strike a harmonic on the D string, then tune out from there. i get a better tune starting from the middle. unfortunately for those of us with old jazz boxes like my Gibson L48 and others with less than perfect intonation the tuners just get us in the ball park, as you have to tweek some strings a bit to get a good tune when fretting notes, kind'a like tuning a piano.

guys like Stevie Ray didn't have to retune so often due to using very heavy strings, which is the key to great tone anyway. Say Buddly- did Bobby (K1KBW) send you the latest Bobby and the Lizzards CD? we did it last summer. if you don't have it let me know and i'll send you one. it's got both kinds of music too...Rythm and Blues.
AF9J
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 08:52:52 PM »

i like the programmable tunings idea. i sometimes play slide in a few tunings and the change is time consuming and unprofessional during a gig. having that setup on my pedal steel would be even better.

as to tuners i use an A-440 tuning fork and strike a harmonic on the D string, then tune out from there. i get a better tune starting from the middle. unfortunately for those of us with old jazz boxes like my Gibson L48 and others with less than perfect intonation the tuners just get us in the ball park, as you have to tweek some strings a bit to get a good tune when fretting notes, kind'a like tuning a piano.

guys like Stevie Ray didn't have to retune so often due to using very heavy strings, which is the key to great tone anyway. Say Buddly- did Bobby (K1KBW) send you the latest Bobby and the Lizzards CD? we did it last summer. if you don't have it let me know and i'll send you one. it's got both kinds of music too...Rythm and Blues.

Yep, if you don't want to lug around guitars for different tunings, it may be wortwhile to have a robo Les Paul.  But knowing Gibson, the price is steep, as in $2500 steep.  Ouch!   Although, there are those who predict, that after the first production run, the price will drop down to about $1600.

As for SRV - I saw him live twice.  In spite of using extra heavy gauge strings, he still managed to break strings  at least 2 or 3 times during both shows!

Ellen - AF9J
Working on her Viking II
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 09:34:14 PM »

Sure did Chris. I get requests from the guys and gals at work to play it every so often.

As I said in a post above............

Sweet Home Chicago !
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 10:29:34 PM »

E A D G forever on my A9 mando.   Used to be a poor man's violin, uh huh.
'fraid I cheat with an electronic A, tune the rest of the 5ths off 7th fret.

RICK  *W3RSW*
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2007, 12:22:10 AM »

I usually prefer other axes.
Ellen - AF9J

Ellen.   You play a Telecaster for gigs?  Then you are ready for the Bakersfield sound.

Where are the drummers?  It seems that everyone on this forum is a professional guitarist like Ellen and Sam, an amateur guitarist or at least a former amateur guitarist.   Who was it that showed the size of a really big tuner by laying a Paul Reed Smith next to it?  I mean really.  What forum is this?

Jon
W2JBL

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2007, 12:27:25 AM »

cool! i don't run in to many mando players around here, being that country music is illegal within 25 miles of NYC. i love Bluegrass mandolin, and especially dig the electric mandolin playing of the guys from the Western Swing gang.

Buddly: thanks for listening, and happy to hear you liked it. we just did 8 more tunes a few weeks ago, and i broke out my pedal steel for a few tunes. the blues/boogie stuff has a nice Texas Playboy's feel to it, and then Bobby sings "Truck Drivin' Man"...it's the Bakersfield sound drowned in Bass Ale. pure fun. i'll make sure you get a copy after N1GTU mixes it down.
W2JBL

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2007, 12:31:27 AM »

the drummer is Joe WA1IWQ. Bill W3DUQ is also a drummer. back in the bad old days on 75 AM a lot of us used to trade licks on our instruments live on the air, in between sets of music. AM today is so tame compared to what it was
in the early 70's...
AF9J
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 06:57:51 AM »

I usually prefer other axes.
Ellen - AF9J

Ellen.   You play a Telecaster for gigs?  Then you are ready for the Bakersfield sound.

Where are the drummers?  It seems that everyone on this forum is a professional guitarist like Ellen and Sam, an amateur guitarist or at least a former amateur guitarist.   Who was it that showed the size of a really big tuner by laying a Paul Reed Smith next to it?  I mean really.  What forum is this?

Jon

I know, but I play it in a decidedly un-country fashion.  A lot of people forget that Teles have been used for heavy rock music.  Joe Perry of Aerosmith has been using them off and on for decades.  Jimmy Paige of Led Zepplin used them in the Yardbirds (as did Jeff Beck).  He also recorded the entire first Led Zepplin album (remember "Dazed and Confused"?) using a Telecaster, and the guitar solo to "Stairway to Heaven" (an overplayed song, if there ever was one) with a Telecaster.  Even Kim Thayil of Soungarden (yes Steve I do like some Grunge bands), used a Telecaster on occasion.  Don't forget all of the blues players who use them.

I got mine because the price was right, I needed a change soundwise, and worst of all (for the first time in 28 years) I was without a guitar (I sold my old guitar and amp [along with the Heathkit Cheyenne I used to have] to pay bills), and going through serious guitar withdrawl. As it is, I got rid of the stock bridge pickup in it, and put in an overwound GFS unit, to give it more output, and tame some of the highs.  I don't like shrill, or twangy sounding guitar.  But I do like the way Teles bark. 

Now I just need to find another band - tough to do at age 44, when most  musicians my age only want to play Classic Rock (yawn!), country, oldies, pop covers, or the blues (went through my blues phase 25 years ago).  Nobody my age wants to rock out, and I'm way past the stage of "I'll play in any band, just to be able get up in front of an audience."  If the music doesn't turn me on, I'll end up looking bored on stage, and won't make my best effort playingwise.

Ellen - AF9J
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 07:32:36 AM »

Where are the drummers?

Well Jon... i don't play drums but I've made some coin playin' harmonica in a blues band.

Did some stuff for a friend on a Christian Jazz/Blues album and do some studio work around Northern Ohio now n' then.

Not making a living at it but does put a few sheckels in the pocket.
W4EWH

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 09:07:56 PM »

It seems that everyone on this forum is a professional guitarist like Ellen and Sam, an amateur guitarist or at least a former amateur guitarist.   

Quote without comment:

http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Jan/babemouth.html

73, Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015