The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 11:39:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not Radio - TV!  (Read 5204 times)
KA8WTK
Contributing

« on: December 03, 2007, 05:58:30 PM »

Well, HDTV is coming to a TV near you. All of my TVs are you're standard analog. I am really not interested in spending a bunch of money on a new TV. I don't watch that much anyway. But, when this happens, I'll need a way to tune the HDTV signal and get it into the regular TV. (It will do the correct aspect ratio and has S-video connections).

Has anyone tried one of the available converters? Have you tried it with an antenna? (I do not have cable)
Just wondering if they work........KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:14:53 PM »

Actually HDTV works on a regular analog tv ok fine. But, in February 2009, analog tv transmissions will end and go digital, which an analog tv won't receive. You can buy a converter for the analog tv to receive digital transmissions. Also the gov is handing out 40 dollar vouchers (2 per household max) for those wanting to buy the converters (look for the vouchers to be available in 2008).

If you are on cable or satellite, analog sets will still work fine, just the people using tv antennas and analog tv's won't be able to receive after February 2009.

gee, I hope they don't try this crap on amateur radio...
W4EWH

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 08:36:09 PM »

Actually HDTV works on a regular analog tv ok fine. But, in February 2009, analog tv transmissions will end and go digital, which an analog tv won't receive.

Ed,

I'm not up to speed on the HDTV conversion, so please answer these questions for me:

• Will the existing spectrum allocated to TV channels 2 through 13 be refarmed for other use, or will it remain TV?
  • What about 14-whatever? Will HDTV free up any spectrum?
  • Does HDTV include digital audio?
  • What is the bandwidth of an HDTV signal?

Bill

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 11:37:37 PM »

Bill,

Here's a site that could answer some questions and maybe generate a few... http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/hdtv.htm

HDTV, analog and digital tv are 3 separate things.

HDTV is video with better resolution. Analog (low res) is just what everyone sees today on standard tv's, uses AM. Digital tv uses a receiver that receives digital signals, 1&0's vs AM.

The 'powers to be' decided to use a digital techniques for HDTV video, as the information required for HDTV exceeds the current bandwidth for analog/SDTV (4.5 mhz). Not sure of the BW specs on DTV, I read 37 mhz!!, but by using compression they plan to dramatically reduce BW requiements.

I read that it is supposed to free up spectrum for emergency  services after relocating the remaining channels.  Also, the audio will be digital, since that is the method of transmission for the entire signal.

Do I need HDTV? Not really, I hope it's worth the major cost that everyone is going to have to bear.   

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2007, 03:27:02 AM »

Plus the FCC plans to bring in billions of $ to the US treasury by auctioning off the old TV spectrum to the highest bidder, something that doesn't belong to the FCC or ot the government to auction off in the first place.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2007, 05:57:25 AM »

One thing to watch out for:
Compression = distortion.
Cable TV on metallic lines has the most compression of high-def signals.
Satellite (rooftop dish) has less.
Fiber optic has the least.
Over-the-air has the least.

We have fiber optic to the house, and I see only a little bit of color shift and a change in audio level when I switch between a high-def local channel and then see the same channel carried over the fiber optic.

When the converter boxes start coming in, I will guess that even the most severe compression they may impose will STILL leave a better analog 4:3 aspect picture than what you're getting as "standard definition" today.

ka3zlr
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 06:04:39 AM »

Good Morning,

I don't like it at all, no sir what was a free and there isn't much left has now become a major monthly bill for the few select channels i watch. Just like the cell capitable necessity....give them a toy.. make what you can...LOL....

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 09:10:11 AM »

Paul said:

I have Directv and the thing I hate with the local stations is they tend to get the audio out of sync with the video. It reminds me of a bad Japanese sci-fi flick Smiley

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
K3ZS

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 10:37:32 AM »

Until I get an HD Tivo, I'll stick to standard def.    I will avoid the pain of watching 20 minutes an hour of commercials, no matter how HD they are, on my old fashioned Tivo.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 10:04:15 PM »

Decades ago, a man came forth with a prophetic solution for not only the current HDTV/Analog/Satellite/Cable debacle. He also had word or two of advice for our current state of information overload and the ever pervasive state of malaise that assaults us on a daily basis.  He said, and I quote:

Blow up your TV, throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus on your own

--- Post No Bills ---
WA3VJB
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 09:39:27 AM »

Paul said:

I have Directv and the thing I hate with the local stations is they tend to get the audio out of sync with the video. It reminds me of a bad Japanese sci-fi flick Smiley

Really ?
I just came off the dish and rarely saw that problem.
The time I remember, it was specific to one channel.
Lately I am seeing a lot of poor sync with old footage on YouTube, but I think that's an uploading issue by the people posting.

W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 11:46:30 AM »

Plus the FCC plans to bring in billions of $ to the US treasury by auctioning off the old TV spectrum to the highest bidder, something that doesn't belong to the FCC or ot the government to auction off in the first place.

I certainly agree Don.  This is another form of taxation by the government.  Their argument is that if it is being used to make a profit, they should get a piece of the action.  What service are they offering to deserve that cut?  They can't even enforce their own rules and regs, let alone provide any value added to the end product.  Just another way that the consumer ends up paying more for services.  Let's hope that they don't decide to "tax" the amateur bands.

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W4EWH

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 08:13:16 PM »

Decades ago, a man came forth with a prophetic solution for not only the current
HDTV/Analog/Satellite/Cable debacle. He also had word or two of advice
for our current state of information overload and the ever pervasive state of
malaise that assaults us on a daily basis.  He said, and I quote:

Blow up your TV throw away your paper
Go to the country, build you a home
Plant a little garden, eat a lot of peaches
Try an find Jesus on your own

I think John Prine's best work was the song Hello In There, which was covered by Bonnie Rait:

Me and Loretta we don't talk much more
She sits and stares at the back door screen
And all the news just repeats itself
Like some forgotten dream that we both seen

Although, as a Vietnam veteran, I'm also very fond of Sam Stone.

73, Bill W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2007, 05:35:16 PM »

she said, she said
"you don't know shit,
because you've never been there"
she turned upon him,
took him by the hair
spun him round about,
laughing as he fell about,
sat down for a drink