The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:30:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shack Considerations  (Read 23733 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2007, 08:02:44 PM »

I've set up a number of labs including my shack and every time I put a bench against a wall I learned to hate it. Far better to have the small end against the wall so you can get behind the equipment.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2007, 08:53:01 PM »

1: Seperate building with 220, water, sewer, heat, air conditioning and a dehumidifier.
2: LOTS of light when you need it, ability to have less light when you don't.
3: A bathroom. (Wife won't let me put one out here. Says she'll never see me again)
4: A cat. Good company, warm lap in the winter and no mice in behind rack transmitters.
5: Beer frig.
6: Ceiling fan - Helps to circulate the air - makes building more comfortable.
7: Intercom or message lights. I have intercom - I would ignore a light or just not see it.
8: Lots of outlets. (I need to add more)
9: Master kill switch. Most of the stuff here is on one.
10: A bigger building
11: fire extinguisher

I have all but #3 and wish for #10. It seems like your collection of radios, parts and service equipment will fill all the available space and leave you wishing for more. Another good thing about the cat; I like my cat. I would not like to see him get killed by any HV or 120 that could be left exposed. I figure if I make things safe enough that I don't have to worry about him reaching into a rig or enclosure with the voltage on, I have it pretty well sealed up so I can't stick my fingers in there either. By watching out for him I also protect myself.

Good ideas and a good discussion!

Bill KA8WTK
W1EUJ
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2007, 10:19:24 PM »

>1: Seperate building with 220, water, sewer, heat, air conditioning and a dehumidifier.
>3: A bathroom. (Wife won't let me put one out here. Says she'll never see me again)
>10: A bigger building

Hey, you mean a seperate house for a hobby? It was difficult enough to get one house here!

I'd hate to walk or shovel the inevitable snow. Or be too far from the yl. I'd personally stick to the shack in the basement.

Still, lots of good suggestions. As the thread tails off, I'll compile a list for myself, and for the website. Perhaps I'll even post the occasional photo of the work on the room. I've got other projects in my new home, so I think this lab construction will be a little limited. I will be needing high current 120 for the BC-610.

Thanks all.

Dave Goncalves
W1EUJ
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2007, 07:32:13 AM »

Whatever you do David, make sure you can hear the receiver from the 'fridge and bathroom. You'll be all set to handle the calls of nature without missing that all important 'ol buzzard goin on !

W1EUJ
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2007, 10:25:22 AM »

You know how some resturants have speakers in the bathroom? I think I'll do the same. Good suggestion:

- Audio system covering the food input and output locations
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2007, 11:00:07 AM »

I'll listen to you on the outside speaker.   klc

What? Me worry?
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2007, 11:03:41 AM »

"And will be listening in the crapper room speaker"........

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2007, 11:19:45 AM »

Or get yourself a wireless mic with IFB and you can continue to participate in the QSO while on the crapper. How sweet is that?

Whatever you do David, make sure you can hear the receiver from the 'fridge and bathroom. You'll be all set to handle the calls of nature without missing that all important 'ol buzzard goin on !

W1EUJ
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2007, 11:25:00 AM »

Wall-mounted boom mic, right next to the can. That's dedication!

Didn't broadcast radio start in hotel bathrooms draped with velvet?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »

Or get yourself a wireless mic with IFB and you can continue to participate in the QSO while on the crapper. How sweet is that?

Better than having a Mason jar next to the mic, or at least - easier.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2007, 01:46:09 PM »

I'm still stripping paint on my shack, hoping to beat winter wx in time to complete the paint job.  So far, dry scraping, an infra-red heat gadget, pressure washer and chemical stripper.  No matter what, a slow-going PITA to remove 75 years of old paint.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2007, 02:25:13 PM »

Better than having a Mason jar next to the mic, or at least - easier.  Wink

that could be extreemly nasty if one mistook the "mason jar" for their cup of coffee (or other favorite beverage) while making an
"Old buzzard"!! Shocked Shocked

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2007, 02:25:44 PM »

Watch out for the lead in that paint!

I'm still stripping paint on my shack, hoping to beat winter wx in time to complete the paint job.  So far, dry scraping, an infra-red heat gadget, pressure washer and chemical stripper.  No matter what, a slow-going PITA to remove 75 years of old paint.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2007, 02:42:24 PM »

I'm not too crazed about the wireless mike in the can idea. Although it COULD lead to hilarious frivolity in the #2 blastage dept.  Tongue
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2007, 02:49:13 PM »

Don't be like me and put your operating position where water can get to it from overhead plumbing.  In my case, see: http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=11985.0
My fault for not doing my homework on my plumbing.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2007, 02:50:21 PM »

Operation from in the can may create a new type of operating.

Instead of operation portable, one would be operating potable Shocked Shocked

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
ve6pg

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2007, 10:04:31 AM »

...just finished moving my stuff, down the hall...ceiling fan, large windows, and walls/ceiling painted bright white. best thing for light reflection. dont forget wiring for grounds, counterpoises, etc...tim...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
kc4yoy
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2007, 01:30:18 PM »

You know how some resturants have speakers in the bathroom? I think I'll do the same. Good suggestion:- Audio system covering the food input and output locations

I have a Radio Shack baby monitor I bought when my dad was sick and bed ridden
so that mom could hear him from the kitchen. After he died I brought it home.
It sat in a box for several years until I ran across it again and had the bright
idea to put the transmitter in the shack. It's on 49 MHz and covers the property
really well. I've since found another one at a ham fest so I have 2 receivers,
I have one in the little workshop off the display room
http://radioheaven.homestead.com/minishop.html
 and one in the garage workshop.
My wife knows if she needs me she just call to me near the office/shack
and I'll hear her if I'm in either work shop.

Keep in mind that if you do use one of these, the mics are VERY sensitive,
they'll pick up several rooms away. My monitor transmitter in on a switched outlet
strip that's only on when I want i on, don't want some neighbor with a scanner
listening to everything that goes on it the house... hi hi

73, Ron
ve6pg

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2007, 06:04:45 PM »

...baby monitors are the best...i've used them fer years...the receiving one is portable, using a 9v battery...has a LED  bar s-meter, so it can been seen from a distance...started using it so i would'nt miss 6 metre openings...tx in the shack, portable in the werkshop...sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2007, 06:36:45 PM »

John, K1DEU has some info on his website than shows how to use a cordless telephone for two way comms with the station. Use the 900, 2400 or 5800 spread spectrum models and you don't need to worry about your neighbors listening in. Those 49 MHz FM units can be heard miles away, in some cases. Or so I've read.... Wink
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2007, 07:35:26 PM »

The wireless phone we use has spred spectrum and an operating  F around 2 Ghz.. push a button in intercom mode and she starts to a beepin' 

living in the city years back, I listened in to several different households on the 49 Mc "baby band"

Back in the early 80's I copied a phone call from someone in Va on the 160m band. This blew my mind ---

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015