The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 08:32:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extra Class License - Take the 30 Day Challenge!  (Read 44724 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: November 15, 2006, 11:42:28 AM »

With the new band privleges for 75M upon us December 15th, (30 days from today) what a great time to have an "AM Extra Drive"!

If you're not yet an Extra, consider posting your intentions to study - and then later inform us of your success taking the test!  Nothing like a challenge and the comradery to get you inspired.

First one to take the Extra test and pass gets the official, "AM Slap-On-The-Back Award"!

Click on this QRZ.com link and start practicing the questions every day. In a week, you will be able to pass the real test. Guaranteed!

http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Good luck and see you below 3700 on AM December 15th!

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 12:19:20 PM »

Click on this QRZ.com link and start practicing the questions every day. In a week, you will be able to pass the real test. Guaranteed!

http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl

Good luck and see you below 3700 on AM December 15th!

Tom, K1JJ

I like the looks of this one better..... more "realistic"......
http://www.aa9pw.com/radio/

Maybe just because it's all one page, less waiting...........

But, in any case..... no excuses..... if you even try , you should have no problems......

C'Ya there!

David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 01:06:06 PM »

I've had the intent for 6 months now, but family illness and holidays may keep me from making the 30 day deadline.

Perhaps I need a kick in the ass more than the incentive of a slap on the back.

David, K3TUE
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 02:03:09 PM »

Tom, did the R+O finally get published in the Federal Register?
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 02:41:02 PM »

The R&O was published today.

The Extra Q&A I find on the web includiing the QRZ tests are the 2002 pool which are no longer the latest.  The new Extra question pool started in June of this year, 2006.

I don't know how different the latest pool is compared to the 2002 pool.  Does anyone else know?

Questions will have to change after December 15th to reflect the Part 97 rule changes such as HF phone sub-band edges and other schtuff.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 03:03:49 PM »

Thanks, guys.
I'll start grinding the crystals now.
KF1Z

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 03:36:31 PM »

The R&O was published today.

The Extra Q&A I find on the web includiing the QRZ tests are the 2002 pool which are no longer the latest.  The new Extra question pool started in June of this year, 2006.

I don't know how different the latest pool is compared to the 2002 pool.  Does anyone else know?

Questions will have to change after December 15th to reflect the Part 97 rule changes such as HF phone sub-band edges and other schtuff.

Not quite.....

The Tecnician pool changed this year....and the new General pool was rreleased, but  not Extra....

From the ARRL    ....

"Technician class (Element 2) Pool is effective July 1, 2006 is valid until June 30, 2010.

General class (Element 3) will be released December 1, 2006 and will become effective July 1, 2007.
·The current General Pool will now be valid until June 30, 2007.

The Extra class (Element 4) will be released December 1, 2007 and will become effective July 1, 2008.
·The current Extra Pool will now be valid until June 30, 2008.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 04:04:14 PM »

The Extra class (Element 4) will be released December 1, 2007 and will become effective July 1, 2008.
·The current Extra Pool will now be valid until June 30, 2008.

Wonder if that means someone studying for Extra between Dec and June will have to answer questions about Extra class subbands according to the old (present) plan even after it has been changed.  I think the examiners have some leeway on exactly how the questions are put into a test, so hopefully there wouldn't be, for example, a question of the 75m phone segment with two of the choices as 3750-3775 and 3600-3700.

From some of the bozos I have heard before and after they passed their extra, I don't think anyone who frequents this forum should have any problem passing.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 04:20:04 PM »

Dump the question pool and study or just take a gamble and wing it.  After 2 tries I nailed the Advanced.  I'll go for the 30 day challenge (schedule permitting).  Is there a waiting period between test sessions, like 30 days?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
KF1Z

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 04:25:49 PM »

Wonder if that means someone studying for Extra between Dec and June will have to answer questions about Extra class subbands according to the old (present) plan even after it has been changed.  I think the examiners have some leeway on exactly how the questions are put into a test, so hopefully there wouldn't be, for example, a question of the 75m phone segment with two of the choices as 3750-3775 and 3600-3700.

I think there's only 3 or 4 questions in the entire pool that would be affected (maybe more, but I'm not going to go through it all to see..)

So the VECs would either be asked to withdraw the questions, or allow the "old answer".

Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 04:27:28 PM »

You might also find a current copy of the license manual useful unless or course A) you know everything there is to know about all topics or B) you plan on memorizing several hundred questions and answers.  The musty old study guide that you picked up at a hamfest in 1973 will not likely be of much help for this exam.
Some of these questions do require a calculator.

http://www.arrl.org/catalog/?item=8659

Where to take the test ?  Search here by State / Zip Code  http://www.arrl.org/exam.html

e.g. there are at least 8 scheduled exams between now and Christmas within 20 miles of zip code 18977.   Wink

* 8659.jpg (8.56 KB, 175x214 - viewed 782 times.)

--- Post No Bills ---
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 05:08:28 PM »

"Click on this QRZ.com link and start practicing the questions every day. In a week, you will be able to pass the real test. Guaranteed!

http://www.qrz.com/p/testing.pl "

After taking the online test, (forgetting how to do polar- rect conversions on my calculator), I doubt few people on this board will have any problems passing the test. I'd guess that taking it online a few times will save the cost of a manual....

But,  if I upgrade, my question is still,  " how will they know Im a REAL ham...  "

klc

What? Me worry?
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 05:46:23 PM »

Folks, I'm living proof it can be done within one week! A person I know who is a member of the ARRgghhL examination squad goaded me into upgrading. I did the tests on QRZ.com to see where I stood and where exactly my weaknesses were. At the very least, you can learn the test which is more R&R than theory. I think if one bust's their ass for a week or two, they could cruise the exams without a hitch. We've been bitching for sometime about the lack of phone space so here we can cut ourselves a little niche out of 75M and let the Marconi-crap-net fend for itself and leave them playing with themselves.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2006, 06:01:38 PM »

Wonder if that means someone studying for Extra between Dec and June will have to answer questions about Extra class subbands according to the old (present) plan even after it has been changed. 

When questions no longer reflect reality they get dropped.  The list of dropped questions appear on the ARRL site along with each question pool.

Pools page: http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/pools.html
Extra QUESTIONS: http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/2002_Extra_Pool3.txt
Extra Questions WITHDRAWN: http://www.arrl.org/arrlvec/withdrawn.html#extra

David, K3TUE
kf6pqt

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 12:20:19 AM »

Well, as soon as I heard about the new band plan I bought the book. I became a 5 wpm General back in June, figure if they make it this easy for me, I'm a fool not to do it asap... Just that life/work got super busy lately! But darnit, I'll try and meet the challenge!

-Jason kf6pqt

W6IEE, formerly KF6PQT
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2006, 12:49:04 AM »

With the new band privleges for 75M upon us December 15th, (30 days from today) what a great time to have an "AM Extra Drive"!

Your on!
 Tnx for the idea
Sad in a way, I took the exam on QRZ and it was so much less then my 1969 Advaced. Guess I am becoming an Old Buzzaed

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2006, 04:35:36 AM »

If someone passed the 13wpm General years back will they have to go backwards and do the 5wpm for Extra?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W1IA

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2006, 07:58:55 AM »

Hmmm...under the new rules do I have to forget my 35 wpm speed to qualify for the new extra? YUCK YUCK! Grin

Only kidding guys....lets see some new EXTRAS!! We are planning a 3685 opening nite just for fun...and no it doesn't mean we will be using the P.O.T. system (peaa on tree) to mark a territory..HA! A.M. all freqs all the time below 3700...no one can lay claim....all we need is a new pile of useless nets using the P.O.T. system arrrgh!!

STUDY STUDY STUDY!!

See Ya Down the BAND soon

Brent(Tina) W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
N8LGU

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2006, 08:23:16 AM »

Okay Guys...I really hate to give up my "real" Advanced and trade it for an Extra-lite ticket. But I suppose they can still see I used to have a "real" ticket. Ok...I'm gonna do it... See you on 3624.36 plate modulated A3.

"Rock Cave Dave"
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2006, 11:12:30 AM »

This is excellent! So glad to hear the enthusiasm.

It would be kinda cool if someday the average ham would think to himself, " Yep, most of the AMers hold Extra Class licenses - ya gotta give 'em credit".

Whether we feel the Extra test is hard or not, it's still the highest ham "rank" or achievement (or carrot) put out by the FCC, with full privies attached.

As Brentina said, the area below 3700 is totally unstaked-out territory right now.  There will be a small window of time when the majority of 75M nets and ssb operators do not have the licenses to go down there. If we prepare and get as many AM Extras licensed as possible in this 30 day period, we will have a big head start in presence there. AM operation will become an accepted part of the band by default.

Make it a goal to encourage at least ONE other AM buddy to upgrade to Extra. Give it some thought right now.  If he doesn't frequent this BB, call him on the phone with reasons to upgrade now, then send him an email with the link to the Extra class questions... Wink

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

K1MVP
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2006, 11:25:28 AM »

Okay Guys...I really hate to give up my "real" Advanced and trade it for an Extra-lite ticket. But I suppose they can still see I used to have a "real" ticket. Ok...I'm gonna do it... See you on 3624.36 plate modulated A3.

Be "careful",--if you call it "extra lite",--you could be labled as "discriminatory" and
be labled an "OF", in these politically correct times.

73, K1MVP

P.S., --my question might be, who is too say many SSB`ers will not "upgrade"
        to "extra" and also go down below 3700?--and the net result will be?

K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2006, 11:43:31 AM »

P.S., --my question might be, who is too say many SSB`ers will not "upgrade"
        to "extra" and also go down below 3700?--and the net result will be?

A good point Rene...

I think simply by habit the majority will stay where they were before.... above 3800. It takes an effort to retune the antenna and get their whole gang to move 200kc down the band. In addition, there will always be a few hold-outs of every group who refuse to upgrade and this will keep the group where they were. Also, if some groups do move down the band, the upper frequencies will thin out and the remaining groups will be encouraged to stay where they are.

There's no reason not to operate anywhere we please, so we might as well do it down there too. If it's anything like what happened when they increased the Extra band to 3750 years ago, it will be under-utilized. And probably more so because of the apparent lower activity on the bands these days.... not to mention the 60%! increase in phone band space on 75M. 

I predict below 3700 on AM  will be like 160M above 1900, possibly even better... QRM-free operation for some time to come.  Time will tell.

T

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2006, 11:52:43 AM »

LURD said:
Why should I go out and get my EXTRA ticket, when my CB license has more prliviges? I can operate any frequency that I want, at any time that I want, and with as much power that I want!

Fine, knock yourself out. Like I was taught in the military: "Anything is legal, as long as you don't get caught." By your own admission you labeled yourself a freebander. Not to be paranoid, but you don't know who frequents this board and looks in on occasion. I only hope you have deep pockets for a lawyer. A piece of advice, don't take any legal words of wisdom from Belgrade Lakes.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WA1GFZ

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2006, 12:21:24 PM »

and Mikey he appears to be one of us............and we have his ear when he hangs with us.........and he gets the job done!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2006, 03:22:10 PM »

Do you really think slopbucket groups like the ones on 3875, 3878, 3892, ad nauseum, will move anywhere?  They bought those frequencies years ago and they're now paid in full. To QSY would be a sign of unMANliness.  Besides,  how do you get the SWR down on that ol' dipole antenny anyhow?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015