The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:28:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Extra Class License - Take the 30 Day Challenge!  (Read 44349 times)
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2006, 10:29:24 PM »

>>Fox hunting is what you do when the bands are broken if you need pba

hehehe, love it. congrats tom. Extra lite, Extra heavy, who cares. It means you
cared to take whatever the highest ham ticket at your space-time is. Anyone have
a pointer to a HTML or text document on the new band plan? the PDF I tried
to load croaked my computer..

propagation, anyone have any thoughts about how different it would be
down there? I don't, as I read earlier, think it will be like 160. However its
a considerable % away from what we are used to..

am forever!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2006, 10:45:12 PM »

a PDF file            http://www.arrl.org/announce/regulatory/wt04-140/Hambands3_color.pdf

a FCC  lnk              http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-06-149A1.doc

What? Me worry?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2006, 04:29:05 AM »

I need to study. Missed by one question. 

A couple of those test questions need to have their relevancy addressed.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2006, 10:24:50 AM »

No big deal, Bob.   Is there a waiting period or can you take it again before Dec 15th?

In 1965 I failed the Conditional test by just one question too. It was a heartbreaker. But I studied for a month and then went to Boston (with Ed/W1RFI) and aced the General. It was the best thing that coulda happened cuz I learned it well the second time.

BTW, I hope some don't under estimate the Extra test. As you know it does require study. I tried the first three questions the other day and got them all wrong. Stuff about current packet regs, satellite guidelines and stuff like that will throw anyone who's not studied it.

Good luck next time!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2006, 11:31:58 AM »

No big deal, Bob.   Is there a waiting period or can you take it again before Dec 15th?

In 1965 I failed the Conditional test by just one question too. It was a heartbreaker. But I studied for a month and then went to Boston (with Ed/W1RFI) and aced the General. It was the best thing that coulda happened cuz I learned it well the second time.

BTW, I hope some don't underestimate the Extra test. As you know it does require study. I tried the first three questions the other day and got them all wrong. Stuff about current packet regs, satellite guidelines and stuff like that will throw anyone who's not studied it.

Good luck next time!

T
Hi Tom,
I agree. No big deal.  Just proves I need to brush up.

I don't believe there is a waiting period any longer. Not sure if there ever was one, at least while I've had a license.  I passed my General on the second try. The CW test got me on the first attempt. It was two weeks between test sessions for the second attempt. The two weeks between tests was never questioned.  That was back in the late 80's however.

There are a couple of scheduled test sessions around CT that are before the 15th.  One is Newington at ARRL HQ.  I'll probably hit that one since it's the closest and familiar territory.

I didn't have difficulty with the math problems or tech stuff related to HF but like you I got tripped up on the packet and satellite stuff.  One regulatory question that threw me was a question regarding a foreigner or alien wanting to be licensed in the US.  Not sure what relevancy that has to do with a US citizen holding, upgrading or getting a license but maybe I'm missing something.

I under estimated the Extra test and got a little cocky myself after having passed a couple of the practice tests on QRZ.  Glad the test was close by and not 60 or more miles away. I would have been mad at myself.  The good thing is I have a better flavor for the testing now.  It's been about 20 years since I took the Advanced test. I just bought the book and I'll be ready for the next session.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Bob

Bob
W1RKW
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2006, 10:46:52 AM »

Made it within the 30 day challenge.  Went up to Newington and passed the Extra today. 

Bob
W1RKW
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2006, 12:21:43 PM »

Congratulations Bob.  CU on 36xx kHz. AM.

My advice to everyone upgrading to Extra -

Take all 16 of the practice tests on QRZ.com.  Select them in order by number, not randomly.  Keep a list of your score on each test.  They each take about 20 - 30 minutes to do depending on interruptions, etc. so we're talking about 5 - 8 hours of homework, but well worth it.  Re-take the tests with the lowest scores again after all 16 are done and you have identified and studied the weak subject areas. 

When you are at the ACTUAL test session you may experience some differences that may tend to dumb you down a hair - anxieties, horizontal papers vs. the vertical monitor you studied at, a CW element testee playing the CW tape at loud volume, etc.  It's good to be well prepared.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #82 on: December 09, 2006, 02:08:00 PM »

Tom, Thanks for the congrats

I did exactly what Tom KLR suggested with one twist.  Rather than retake the ones I failed on I just redid all the tests.  I missed 5 questions on the exam which was about where I was at the end of practicing with the practice tests.  Prior to that I was border line pass/fail. It works.  Most of it relies on memory.  The vast majority of the questions are all very similar if not the same but just worded differently and most of the answers to those questions are identical between practice exams.  If I can do it with my very short attention span anyone else should be able to ace it.  Definitely take your time and reread the Q's and multi choice answers.

Bob
W1RKW
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2006, 03:23:00 PM »

Good going Bob!

In the end it's almost always a blessing in disguise when you retake the test. Now you know it cold.

See ya in the Extra band!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2006, 03:53:36 PM »

Thanks T/JJ!!!
I'll be yellowy+ pissweak with the FT102 on the 15th.  See you guys there.

Good Going Bob!

In the end it almost always is a blessing in diguise when you retake the test. Now you know it cold.

See ya in the Extra band!

T

Bob
W1RKW
WA1GFZ

« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2006, 04:43:22 PM »

Good Deal Bob hope to work you.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2006, 05:07:56 PM »

Good Deal Bob hope to work you.

Thanks Frank,
Me too.  I'm looking forward to it with you  and everyone else.

Bob
W1RKW
Pages: 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015