The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 09:32:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Want to Buy a Pick-Up Truck - need opinions  (Read 33350 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: August 23, 2006, 01:08:16 PM »

Hola,

I'm ready to plunk down up to $15K for a used pick-up truck. I've looked on the web and cannot really decide where to start. It seems that owners only give great reviews of their own stuff.

I understand that Toyota makes a real dependable truck. Then there's the old F-150 standby, Dodge Ram, etc. There's so many.

I want an automatic, probably 2 wheel drive - 4X4 not necessary. Six cylinder is enuff power, air, hitch. No bell and whistles needed. Hopefully less than 50K miles.  Black, blue or silver color. Bedliner desirable. Manual windows OK. Year 2000 or newer.

Any opinions on what might fill the bill?   I'm ready to buy something today if I found it. My old '86 Blazer is knocking and slipping - only good for pulling up antennas now.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 01:18:04 PM »

Tom.... I am partial to Ford but...

The F150 or GM 1500 series 1/2 tons are great trucks. If you can find one with an INLINE 6 go for it.
For a small series truck there's none better than the Ranger !! 2.3L 4cyl best with a standard tranny.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 01:41:14 PM »

This one is great on gas:

Or how about these accessories:

My humor for the day. I know zip about trucks.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KB1IAW

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 02:12:05 PM »

Hi Tom-

You know how it is with opinions but you asked. Apply the same caveats used in the JN receiver guide.

It really depends on what you need a truck to do, haul large heavy materials and tools all week or cart you to the office then take a couple cans of trash to the dump on weekends. These days I'm driving a 10 year old F-150 that I bought 6 years ago. I use it to haul materials and finished cabinets that I build in my shop so it's either completely empty or very full. Prior to this one I drove a D-250, that I bought new, for 16 years. I find a full sized truck with an 8 foot bed the most usefull for my needs. Both the Dodge and the Ford are stripped down work trucks and both have been fairly dependable. I'm sure that I could get the same service from a Chevy. If you don't need a full sized truck it's really hard to beat the Toyota for mechanical dependability but I don't think that they will stand up to hard use day in and day out over the long haul. I know of a couple used in construction that are less than 10 years old with broken frames. I also know of more than one Ford Ranger that has lasted over 300,000 miles. 

You may find some of the information on this site useful

http://www.edmunds.com/

Paul
W8EJO

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 02:25:06 PM »

Best small truck Ford Ranger/Mazda B series. I have 235,000 on mine & it burns zero oil. It has the 4.0 V-6 & 4WD, 5 speed.

Best full-size truck I've owend. - Chevy Silverado. Drove  like a Caddy & hauled what I  needed it to.

I currently have an 97' F-250 diesel that I don't particulary care for.

I've owned the Toyota small truck (1992 I think) & it was junk. All kinds of engine & tranny (auto) problems.

My 2 cents.

Terry
W8EJO

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 02:39:14 PM »

Make sure that you get one with the split rear window option. Nothing looks a bad as having to stick your arm out and tossing over your shoulder.  With the split window, you just toss the empties strait back...  klc

What? Me worry?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2006, 02:43:53 PM »

Tom,
Yup my silverado rids like a caddy and gets about 20 MPG on a trip with a 5.3 V8.
My OM bought a 4 cl rice box last year for about 6K and is thinking of selling it for 5K.
He put some bucks into it also. It runs good and is 4 wheel drive. The only reason he is selling it is because he doesn't use it and has 2 sons and a daughter with trucks and he enjoys being boss. He got P.O. when he got the bill for registration and figures it isn't worth $150 to sit in the yard.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2006, 03:25:08 PM »

Tom, get a full sized American truck.
You're not going to believe how badly you're going to want more space after driving a compact truck for a while. My first pickup was a compact and while it was a fine, reliable ride, I was *so* glad to trade it for a much roomier full size truck in 2000.

There are so many used pickups available that you can get a heck of a deal on a fairly new Ford or Chevy. There's some real benefits to buying a vehicle that they sell millions of every year. Need a replacement part or some glass? As close as the nearest boneyard. The biggest difference between the late model Fords and GMs for me is that the Fords are generally easier to work on yourself, easier to wrench on the engine and do routine maintenance on. Another advantage of a full-size truck is that they aren't so darn cramped under the hood.

Go to edmunds.com and you'll see what sort of $$ you're talking about. I just did a quick look-up on 2002 Ford F-150s in my area and found a 2WD with a bulletproof 4.2L 6 for ~ $7,000.  It'll last you forever and get you well over 20 MPG.

2ZE
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2006, 04:21:18 PM »

I see guys talkin' up the Ford Ranger. I have a '99 Ranger that has been nothin but TROUBLE!
130,000 miles and here is a list of repairs so far:
new motor 3.0L V6
new rear end
new radiator
3 wheel bearings
vacuum modulator in transmission

minus all the regular maintenece ( brakes, exhaust, tires, ball joints, tune-ups, etc...), this thing has been nothing short of a money pit.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2006, 04:41:42 PM »

The best part about driving a full-sized American pickup truck is you can install a pair of THESE:

* images.jpg (2.15 KB, 127x87 - viewed 413 times.)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2006, 04:54:20 PM »

My brother in Law has a F150 and hates it. He had nothing but problems. He couldn't sell it for a good price so he is driving it into the ground as a work beater. I think it is a 2000.
My 2001 Silverado has almost 80 K and all I've done is replace the tires once. I run mobile 1 and change it when it tells me to. I'm thinking of a new battery
just due to age for the winter.
The only thing I don't like about it is sleeping in it at hostraders is a real pita.
Seat belt brackets are kidney killers. I need a cap for it.
I load the family twice a week and go down the road 80 no problem.
Motor starts making real torque around 2K RPM at 77 MHP with 4 speed overdrive auto.
My 88 3/4 ton Chevy was great truck and much better for sleeping. That one was rear ended so lost its life at 145K.
The best sleeper of all was my homebrew 72 1 ton with a built 350 fuelie cam and 411 gears. Some of you guys remenber the Jethro mobile with oak flat bed.
That had a bed for front seat. It coult take a stock vet off the line which was very fun.
Tom I've tried to buy a good used truck twice and setteled for new because a good used one will cost you too much. i bet there are some real deals out there.
Dana Chev/WV in Northanpton Ma. is by far the best dealer I've ever done business with.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2006, 05:03:30 PM »

...Or one of THESE

* calvin_silver_hemi.JPG (71.02 KB, 972x642 - viewed 526 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2006, 05:23:02 PM »

You're not going to believe how badly you're going to want more space after driving a compact truck for a while. My first pickup was a compact and while it was a fine, reliable ride, I was *so* glad to trade it for a much roomier full size truck in 2000.

Go to edmunds.com and you'll see what sort of $$ you're talking about. I just did a quick look-up on 2002 Ford F-150s in my area and found a 2WD with a bulletproof 4.2L 6 for ~ $7,000.  It'll last you forever and get you well over 20 MPG.

Thanks for the info so far, guys.

Bill, that appears to be good advice.

I do like the idea of a popular full-sized pickup model for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus the price seems FB.  The Silverado seems to be well liked as Frank says too. Though they are a premium model costing more, like about $22K new - maybe a few years used will do the trick.

My '86 Blazer had less than 4' width in the rear cargo and I had trouble loading 4X8 plywood, etc, so I know the story there.

The only thing that bothers me about the full-sized is the gas milage of a bigger truck. Not sure if a straight six as Buddly suggests will pull my 1000 pound cargo trailer. My V6 Blazer really struggled with it up the hills. 

Well, so far a fulled-sized Chevy truck hasn't gotten beaten up here yet. I see a lot of manual xmissions out there, though I prefer an auto. Gee, it would be so EZ to visit a dealership, though I'm hoping my friend with wholesale connections locally can find something on the auction market. Just gotta tell him what I want...

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2006, 05:27:53 PM »

I have a 94 Ranger with the 4.0L V6 with manual 5 speed 2WD with extended cab.  I bought it with 100K miles 4 years ago.  It's payed for itself many times. I've only had one failure where it left me stranded on the side of the road.  An idler pulley died and the serpentine belt burned up so it left me dead on the side of the highway.  Despite that it's been a good vehicle for the most part.  Though I'm not going to recommend it.  I don't know what the newer rangers are like but my 94 has what I consider a weak tranny built by Mazda.  If one is not careful and does not pay attention to maintanance one can easily fry the sucker and never know it until it's too late.  This transmission has a set of rubber plugs in the top of the casing that will harden over time and cause fluid to leak out.  You don't know that it's leaking except maybe for a quarter size spot on the pavement.  While you're driving it's slinging fluid.  While stopped nearly nothing so you don't know.  I ran my tranny dry but fortunately I was in town and was able to bring it to a service station that briefed me on this particular tranny so I 'm careful.  Other than that I'm happy with my ranger.

Bob N9NEO commented on it when he was over a couple of weekend ago and thought it was a 4WD.  It's a tough truck as small trucks go.  I just don't trust the tranny. 

A buddy of mine has a 01 Toyota Tundra with a V8.  Nice truck and he's had zero trouble.  And I like the look of it.  If I could afford it right now I'd buy one myself. If you're looking for a bigger truck the F150 should do you dandy.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2006, 06:03:34 PM »

Same here, Bob. I bought a Ford Ranger new in '87, put 175,000 uneventful miles on it and sold it to a family friend in 2000. The only major failure that it had was the Mazda (or Mitsubushi) 5-speed tranny which in spite of my doing regular lube changes just wore out.

Tom, the engines in the late-model trucks are a generation ahead of the 80s as far as reliability, power and fuel economy. You just can't compare them. Not at all.

None of them are pieces of junk. There's lemons out there, I've owned lemons made by both Ford and Chevy, but bear in mind they couldn't compete in this marketplace by getting a bad reputation, especially with fleet buyers like utility companies. In the full-size truck area, the differences between late-models are mostly superficial and a matter of personal reference.

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2006, 08:05:06 PM »

I see guys talkin' up the Ford Ranger. I have a '99 Ranger that has been nothin but TROUBLE !

There's a lemon in every batch I guess Mike. I bought one the first year they were out in '83. Put 280,000 on it then gave it to a farm run by a church with a halfway house. The residents worked the farm for room and board. This last fall we used the old Ranger to haul corn in from the field. It just won't die.

But Bill is right,Tom. Since getting a full size AMERICAN truck I'll never go back to a compact.
David, K3TUE
Per-spiring AM'er
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2006, 09:01:21 PM »

I owned one and have worked on more. You can routinely get over 200k miles out of a small Toyota pickup.  IMHO, they are hard to beat.  If I were buying a truck I would buy one in a second.

David, K3TUE
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2006, 09:07:03 PM »

And spring for 4WD if it's in your price range.  You need it where you're at.  Empty 2WD pickups are EVIL handling in snow and ice.

ANd don't worry about gas mileage.  About $1500 difference over 50000 miles for a 5 MPG improvement.  You can easily chisel this much off the price at the dealer.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2006, 09:17:54 PM »

And spring for 4WD if it's in your price range.  You need it where you're at.  Empty 2WD pickups are EVIL handling in snow and ice.

ANd don't worry about gas mileage.  About $1500 difference over 50000 miles for a 5 MPG improvement.  You can easily chisel this much off the price at the dealer.

Yeah, maybe a 4X4 is a better idea considering the snow here and the light rear end.Though I can't mentally tolerate less than 20 mpg city for any vehicle.

I've been studying the Toyota Tundra full-size  and the Chev Silverado pickup. It seems both NEW 2006 basic models can be had for under $20K. It's 2007 car season coming up so they seem to be slamming the prices.

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit a major dealership complex in Hartford. They have maybe 10 dealerships there of every brand. I'll do some test drives and serious looking at what they have.

When I see what I like, I'll tell 'em I want a 30% discount cuz I know W3JN.

T

W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2006, 09:50:15 PM »

Tom said:
I've been studying the Toyota Tundra full-size  and the Chev Silverado pickup. It seems both NEW 2006 basic models can be had for under $20K. It's 2007 car season coming up so they seem to be slamming the prices.

Well I guess I might as well throw my $0.50 in here. If it were me, I'd go with the Silverado. You can't beat them for the ride. I used to take mine from here down to southern VA on a regular basis and the ride was just as good if not better than most cars. Unfortunately, I traded it in on my Trailblazer, (straight 6 4.3L). My son grew too big for the back of the cab so I need something with 4 doors. I wanted the Avalanche but settled for the Trailblazer.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2006, 12:20:30 AM »

Not sure if a straight six as Buddly suggests will pull my 1000 pound cargo trailer.

The straight six will pull that no problem Tom. They have more low-end torque than a V6.
Both Ford's and Chevy's inlines are built to pull.
LURD
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2006, 04:51:38 AM »

Hello Tom and Others,
     Owned alot lot of pickup trucks over the years. In fact while the rest of the kids were driving "hot rods" back in high school, I was driving a PU, and they called me Farmer.
     Never cared much about the make, they all had their good points and bad. What I am driving now is a Dodge Ram, with a Cummings diesel. The bodies are shit, but the Cummings has alot of power, and gets great fuel milige!.

Best Regards,

LURD
W1IA

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2006, 06:39:40 AM »

Tom,
My new used purchase last year was a 2001 Silverado 1500 4x4 shortbed. The engine is the 327 aluminum block (Vortek) v8....dynos at 297 hp and the tranny's that GM makes are tough as nails. I pull the new boat with it and its still gets 13.7 miles to the gallon....rides great and has the best body lines that chevy ever made. price was 15k..only had 50k on it.

No subsitute for a V8...if your hung on mileage than look at the V6, but I don't know the track record of smaller block.

Brent W1IA

p.s. the boat weighs in at 4000lbs with 700lbs of tongue weight. V6 would crumble under such a load

Thanks for the info so far, guys.

Bill, that appears to be good advice.

I do like the idea of a popular full-sized pickup model for all the reasons you mentioned. Plus the price seems FB.  The Silverado seems to be well liked as Frank says too. Though they are a premium model costing more, like about $22K new - maybe a few years used will do the trick.

My '86 Blazer had less than 4' width in the rear cargo and I had trouble loading 4X8 plywood, etc, so I know the story there.

The only thing that bothers me about the full-sized is the gas milage of a bigger truck. Not sure if a straight six as Buddly suggests will pull my 1000 pound cargo trailer. My V6 Blazer really struggled with it up the hills. 

Well, so far a fulled-sized Chevy truck hasn't gotten beaten up here yet. I see a lot of manual xmissions out there, though I prefer an auto. Gee, it would be so EZ to visit a dealership, though I'm hoping my friend with wholesale connections locally can find something on the auction market. Just gotta tell him what I want...

T

Run What Ya Brung!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2006, 09:13:19 AM »

That is the same thing I have, but mine is 2 wheel drive and I get about 18 around town and almost 20 on the road if I keep my foot out of it. Not a 327 though, 323 I think. It is a new motor like an old Ford Y block. I have extended cab short bed which is great for lugging stuff around. The back seat folds up and can stuff a lot of stuff inside.
The bed is 6 1/2 feet and with the gate down 8 1/2.
My block is iron and heads aluminum...bet Brent's the same.
The V6 in the same truck does the same mileage but works harder.
BTW I forgot just replaced break pads at 77K
The only thing I wish it had was a bigger oil filter but the stock one seems ok.
I also have heavy duty 1/2 ton springs and sway bars.
I just saw a couple nice used trucks Killiam RT140 East Windsor on the ride in. They had a nice GMC and a couple Fords. I saw them on the way to work this morning.
I piad 19.7K new.
K1JJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2006, 12:05:21 PM »

That is the same thing I have, but mine is 2 wheel drive and I get about 18 around town and almost 20 on the road if I keep my foot out of it. Not a 327 though, 323 I think. It is a new motor like an old Ford Y block. I have extended cab short bed which is great for lugging stuff around. The back seat folds up and can stuff a lot of stuff inside.
The bed is 6 1/2 feet and with the gate down 8 1/2.
My block is iron and heads aluminum...bet Brent's the same.
The V6 in the same truck does the same mileage but works harder.
BTW I forgot just replaced break pads at 77K
The only thing I wish it had was a bigger oil filter but the stock one seems ok.
I also have heavy duty 1/2 ton springs and sway bars.
I just saw a couple nice used trucks Killiam RT140 East Windsor on the ride in. They had a nice GMC and a couple Fords. I saw them on the way to work this morning.
I piad 19.7K new.

Very interestesting info, Frank and Brent and others -

I'm noticing that all the new full-size trucks are below 20 mpg for highway and city. Many of the customer testimonials are saying 13-15 mpg is more like it, esp with 4X4.

I didn't realize that a 4X4 over a 2 wheel drive added about 500 pounds more weight, a higher body for wind resistance, drive train lossses, etc to kill mileage. So it IS a factor.

What I'm trying to decide now is whether to consider a MANUAL transmission or not. There are many out there and cheaper. In this day and age with modern auto transmissions, is there any advantage to using a manual or is it just for preference, for fun? I would like to get some opinions on this. For years I've driven both - from GTO's, VW's. etc, so it would work for me. But for some reason, the thought of a manual xmission in a truck seems like extra work for nothing vs: the sport of having one in a muscle car, etc.

I plan to hit some dealerships today and/or tmw to see if anything hits my fancy.

Another thing I wonder is why not buy an older truck for $5K and put the other $15K into a newer car? The truck is mostly for incidental hauling stuff and I use the current older car much more while the Blazer used to sit.  If I bought a newer truck, I would be psychologically forced to drive it more with it's higher costs....

BTW, what's amamzing me: I am seeing new 2006 basic Silverado's in various car dealers (on the web) for $18K!   The better models with the bigger cabs are $30K+.  The reviews are great.  Maybe I'll stop by a Chevy dealer first.

The Chev Avalance (half SUV and half pickup) is an interesting beast, but is as big as a Suburban. Then the Nissan Titan, Toyota Tundra look appealing. What is surprising is the 2006 Ford F-150's are going for some big money, like $25-30K.  They are an expensive truck when they are 4X4 and loaded.

T

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015