The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:28:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W2VJZ MISSING  (Read 18991 times)
w3duq

« on: July 30, 2006, 12:30:48 PM »

Does anyone know the status of Irwin W2VJZ? Apparently he hasnt been heard on the air for several weeks. Has anyone been to his house lately? Shocked

bill  w3duq
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 02:29:02 AM »

I'm a little worried myself Bill.
Last time I spoke with Irb he mentioned he was not feeling well and was not getting on the air as much as usual. Given his situation one can not just pick up the phone to check, hope he is OK.
Funny, I rolled tape on our last QSO, I had an odd feeling that I should.

-Bruce W1UJR
John Holotko

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 02:10:16 PM »

Bruce, did he say which QTH he was at ? I believe that at his Adirondack QTH his neighbor usually calls in on him every so often.  If not then perhaps some arrangement could be made  to have a nearby  ham check up on him. I would recommend to have the state police check up on him but Irb might get upset if "Caesar's men" show up.  Wink 

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Art
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 02:13:40 PM »

Has anyone heard from him yet? If not I will drive to his NJ place and check it out. Yall know I'm not an Irb fan but heck, he's a ham . . . .

k3zrf

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 03:45:57 PM »

Better wear your fatigues Art Cool

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 03:55:31 PM »

Art,
       how close are you to irb? it might not hurt to take a ride by, but then again
he might be upstate ny. deano

am forever!
Art
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 05:33:26 PM »

I'm south of Harrisburg, PA . . .
W2JBL

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 08:38:28 PM »

i last heard him about three weeks ago. he was in Liberty Corner. he said he was going to take a Lyme disease test at the recomendation of his neighbor, who feels that Irb's ongoing complaint of joint and muscle pain in all parts of his body could be Lyme disease. i have not heard him since. he had reportedly moved his bed into the kitchen, due to having trouble moving about the house.
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 09:00:11 PM »

Its too bad we don't have a local contact for the man.
Despite his politics, right or wrong, he is a ham and a human being.
I do hope he feeling wel, but agree that having police show up may not be the best idea.
Ashly has mentioned to me that Irb has an estranged brother, wonder if Ashly is monitoring the board.

I don't think he is in New Russia, the last time I spoke with him he was heading back to NJ.

Someone should do a welfare check to see if he is ok.
I was quite concerned regarding our last conversation, did not have a good feeling about the guy, he seemed really ill to complain about health issues, not typical Irb.
John Holotko

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 10:13:08 PM »

I agree with Bruce. It would probably be a good idea to check up on the guy. I'd hate to think the guy is laying there in need of help. Esp. at his age. Lyme disease can be pretty aweful.

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 10:09:07 AM »

Bruce, W1UJR said,
   "Its too bad we don't have a local contact for the man."

Somebody might want to check with WA2BSP, Bob.  I believe he lives nearby, and is quite a good friend.

WA2BSP       Lookups: 91
ROBERT J UHRIK
104 Knoll Way
Rocky Hill NJ 08553

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Art
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 10:24:16 AM »

. . . hi Herb . .  good to see u . . . well in the absence of H&W input . . im rollin . . . 'will have 2M CB with me. . .  (HF gear is in CO) . . .

-ap
Herb K2VH

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 10:32:06 AM »

Art,

Can you clarify your message?  I don't fully understand.

k2vh@arrl.net

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Art
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 10:36:24 AM »

Yes, I was too brief.

Hi Herb. Nice to see you in print again.

Since we have no concrete information about Irb and since sooner is probably better than later to check on him, I have decided to go personally to see how he is doing. (Yeah, I know, who woulda thunk it . .  .)

If anyone gets an update in the next 3 hours or so please call me at 717 576 3353 or 970 402 7356 or 146.52 FM simplex.

Art
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 10:44:04 AM »

There is a ham that lives about 8 miles from Irb who has in the past mentioned that he could visit Irb if necessary.

He is Mark Von Till. K2DGM, was WB2DGM until April of this year.  He lives in GREEN BROOK NJ.

Mark's e-mail address is listed in his QRZ.com biography.  I will send him an e-mail right after this posting requesting that he visit Irb's Liberty Corner QTH and report back.

Irb's bed has been in the kitchen for quite a while.  He sleeps there in the winter where the wood stove is.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Herb K2VH

« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 10:47:03 AM »

Art,

Why don't you just try to get ahold of WA2BSP, above?  He's a lot closer than you are, and he might already know something.  You could probably get his phone number thru the White Pages.

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Herb K2VH

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »

For Art again:

Bob Uhrik's phone number in Rocky Hill, NJ is (609) 921-8032.  He is listed as R. Uhrik.  There is another listing for R. Uhrik at 30 Brookside Avenue, Sommerville, NJ 08876, which is even closer to VJZ.  It could be a second home for Bob.  The phone number there is (908) 722-8589.  Good luck.
vH

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Herb K2VH

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 11:23:51 AM »

To all concerned persons:

Art Pightling (K3XF) is on his way right now to Liberty Corner, NJ.  I just hung up with him on his cell phone, and he is on the road.  I tried to contact WA2BSP, but was unable to reach him.  If anybody hears anything substantive in the next hour and a half, call Art's cell at (717) 576-3353.

You're a good man, Arthur Pightling!
vH

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
W1UJR
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 11:28:24 AM »

To all concerned persons:

Art Pightling (K3XF) is on his way right now to Liberty Corner, NJ.  I just hung up with him on his cell phone, and he is on the road.  I tried to contact WA2BSP, but was unable to reach him.  If anybody hears anything substantive in the next hour and a half, call Art's cell at (717) 576-3353.

You're a good man, Arthur Pightling!
vH

You're a good man Herb, thanks for your efforts!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 11:47:36 AM »

I'll call Art on the phone and go over final directions to Irb's.  I presume that he has never been there.  If I was free today I would turn Art around and go there myself as I am a lot closer.  But c'est la vie.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 01:55:50 PM »

Preliminary report -

Art found Irb at home and o.k.  Irb suspended operating his gear in the high temperatures.

I will probably visit Irb next week since his 78th birthday is Sunday August 6.

Herb K2VH

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 03:40:15 PM »

OKAY FINE!!
vH

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Art
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 04:03:39 PM »

Irb was at home and in good spirits. I interrupted his lunch preparation with my visit. He mentioned the aches and pains and stood briefly to meet me. It was over 90 in the sun but his home is nestled among the trees and shaded. We opened a couple of windows in his place wider. He mentioned the heat as a primary reason he wasn't on the air. He also wants to thank all who have been concerned for his welfare and said he didn't need anything at this time. I left after a brief visit and he went back to working on lunch.

Thank you to all who called to provide directions and support.

-ap
John Holotko

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 04:11:41 PM »

Glad to hear he's doing ok. As much as some of his on air politics and antics are annoying I'm glad to hear he's doing allright.  Much thanks to Art for taking the time to check up on a fellow AM'er.

W1UJR
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 04:24:20 PM »

Glad to hear he's doing ok. As much as some of his on air politics and antics are annoying I'm glad to hear he's doing allright.  Much thanks to Art for taking the time to check up on a fellow AM'er.

You know, we all "annoy" or disagree with others from time to time.
It is really how we interact with each other outside of that context that tells a great deal about the character of who we really are.

Clearly we have many, many good folks on this board, the collective concern, and action, is a tribute to the AM community!  Grin

-Bruce
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015