The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:49:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: W2VJZ MISSING  (Read 18989 times)
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 05:15:26 PM »

Art,

I'm glad to hear that he appreciated not only the concern of all on this thread, but also (I hope) your driving over four hours to check up on him.  As they say on American Idol, "You're da bomb, Man!"   On behalf of all of us on this thread, THANK YOU.   Oh, just wondered,  does he have a fan?

vH

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
wb1aij
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 05:47:00 PM »

Now, who is going to check on Glen Bastard?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 05:49:34 PM »

Herb my kids just cleaned the cats litter box so wait a day or so and I will have a donation for him. She just got her shots today so will be outside soon making them  a lot harder to locate.
Art
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 07:07:41 PM »

I didn't see a fan in action at his place and am considering bringing a box fan to him. Though his place was probably 80 it was significantly cooler than the direct sun temperature and a little warmer than the shaded area outside his house . . . so the fan would be effective.

-ap

wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2006, 05:44:52 PM »

Art, TX!
       I'm gonna get all misty eyed and choked up next time we all argue Smiley
Irb has always been a friend, esp once I figured out how he thinks, and liking to
yank chains etc. he was the only one on for years while I commuted to work
and on 80 mtr mobile. its amazing to see all the mcmansions around him, and
him in that old home.

tx again - deano

am forever!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2006, 07:12:24 PM »

Art,
    Many thanks for checking in on Irb. I know how controversial he is, but after all, he is a Ham and a fellow AM'er. Some of us agree with some of the stuff he says, and others don't. I'm one who usually doesn't. If anything happened to him I think we'd all miss him in one way or another.

I sent him a cellphone and wallwart charger a few months ago; one of the early types with big buttons, etc. that are more user friendly for older people to operate. I figured that if anything happened to him at least he could call 911 for help. Other people have sent him other phones, but Irb either lost the charger for them or they didn't work out for him.

Again, many thanks for looking into his situation. We all can rest a little easier, and I know Irb would enjoy the attention!
Very Best Regards,
                         Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2006, 08:42:18 AM »

...If anything happened to him I think we'd all miss him in one way or another.

Similarly to some of those who have broke on through to the other side.
I remember back in the late 70's prior to being license and listening on a SW radio and hearing hams like WA3UAN, K1AJL and a few others who escape me at this time.  75 has been different without these folks.  Any others come to mind?

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2006, 11:56:46 AM »

SK

W3CIC
W4VW
W2WAS
W1FAT (called HLR Smithy)
W2UJR
WB4VVI
W5PYT
K6HQI
N2SHG
WA3VJB
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2006, 12:18:48 PM »

http://amfone.net/LateNotables/latenotables.htm

WC3K
"Bowie Bill"

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2006, 02:08:36 PM »

The old Green Mountain Net, 3855 Kc.

W1ZYZ
K1MNO
W1CNL
W1UCL
W1KKN
W3PHL
W3YAM
K1CSJ
W8MNQ
W1VMC

Some may not be SK's, but they do bring back memories.  Just went through an old log-book from 1965-66.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »

I visited Irb again today and found his kitchen and shack to be cool.  The heat wave has broken here for now.

I gave him a birthday card for his 78th birthday tomorrow.  His friend Nick was there trimming the grass.

He doesn't feel like operating due to his health.  I told him that he should at least get on the air every 4 days and let people know what is going on.

We fired up his station briefly while I was there and worked Carl WA2UJX and John K1DEU.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
Herb K2VH

« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2006, 12:34:43 PM »

SK

W3CIC
W4VW
W2WAS
W1FAT (call HLR Smithy)
W1UJR
WB4VVI
W5PYT
K6HQI
N2SHG

Steve,
I'm sure you meant W2UJR, Dick Haungs of Alden, NY.  Bruce Howes, W1UJR, is just fine, and anything but a silent key. Grin  Bruce, of course, modeled his call after W2UJR, who was his mentor.
vH

K2VHerb

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Herb K2VH

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2006, 07:56:13 PM »

Hey Phil,

I ran into Leon Ingerick, N2HLT, a week ago at a WNY Hamfest.  He said he ran into you--I guess at another fester--and my name came up.  He actually told me that you had nice things to say about me.  Phil, you've just got to start telling the truth.  Grin

vH

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
WA1GFZ

« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2006, 06:05:28 PM »

Then there was W2OY.....All these old timers were fun to listen to when we were kids. They all had class and they all had carriers.
kc2ifr
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2006, 06:13:45 PM »

When I was a kid listning to 40 meters with my S-38 I remember W3EBM....3 empty beer mugs. Anyone remember him?
This was around 1956 or so.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2006, 06:55:33 PM »

Now, who is going to check on Glen Bastard?

If someone does, I have some recipes for some cookies that we could send him (bitter almond crunch) and some nice soup (cream of mushroom, made from assorted backyard mushrooms).

As for sending Glenn some "presents" from the cats, all of my cats are kept indoors at all times...and I have a lot of them. Just stop up here and take all the "presents" you want from the litter boxes!

I betcha all of Glenda's cat presents have "jimmies" on them - hi!
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2006, 08:15:27 AM »

Glad to hear that Irb is doing OK Fine.  Politics aside,
better to hear Irb on during the day with his unique style. than dead air static or slopbucket. 
Kudos to those who personally checked up on him.  Many people were wondering about him.

jim
Herb K2VH

« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2006, 04:57:21 PM »

When I was a kid listning to 40 meters with my S-38 I remember W3EBM....3 empty beer mugs. Anyone remember him?
This was around 1956 or so.

Sure I remember Roger, the Philadelphia lawyer.  Or as ole' Mike, W2OY, used to call him, 3 Entire Bowl Movements. Grin Grin Grin

vH

K2VHerb

--Edward R. Murrow
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015