The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 05:03:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Disturbing Info heard on 7290  (Read 10892 times)
K3ZS

« on: August 02, 2006, 02:13:53 PM »

I got on 40M AM today, around noon, for the first time in quite a while.  40 has been not too good the past few years.  I had a QSO with W8VYZ (Astabula Bill) and a few other AM stations afterwards on 7290.  When we all signed off, I could hear a SSB traffic net, much weaker on the same frequency.  Most, if not all stations were in five land.   I listened for about an hour, the stations I could hear were talking about filing malicious interference compaints against Bill and are planning on recording Bill and complaining to Riley and ARRL officials.  I believe this net is active during hurricane season and at that time 7290 is generally designated an emergency frequency and then AMers just stay off.  It seems this net is on every day although I have not heard it before.   I hate to see turf wars on 40M.  Generally 7290 is the only active frequency on the entire band for AM.  I heard one of the SSB net stations suggest that the AM frequency ought to be on 7295.  I believe the DSB of AM and the frequency tolerance of the vintage transmitters we use would make that unwise.  As the net is LSB and using modern equipment, they could easily use 7298 LSB, the 8 KHz difference to an AM station would be well out of their  passbands.   I don't like seeing so much ill will among hams just because they have different interests.  Hopefully the long propagation on 40M will change with the sunspot numbers and this problem will go away, at least among AMers in the northeast part of the country.   Where else can we go without bothering someone on 40M?   I hope this is an appropriate topic to bring up here and a word of warning to those who may unintentionally be classified an interfering station when on 7290.   Maybe we should just start spreading around to any clear frequency.  I can't believe that a distant AM station is causing them a problem when they are not very audible here.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2006, 02:28:25 PM »

I wouldn't be too concerned. This same garbage from the 5-landers has been going on for 10-15 years.
W5AMI
Founder of amfone.net

Poke Greens

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2006, 02:37:47 PM »

Uh, Steve, it's not just "5" landers and we both know that.  There is a lot of crap us "5" landers deal with from other areas, 4, and 0 land.  Maybe you don't hear them, but we do.

That net is probably the so called 7290 traffic net that meets, not once, but several times in one day, and it includes a lot more than "5" land stations.  It is a pretty much useless net anymore, but that's my own opinion.

What "land" is Richard and Wally from??

Brian / w5ami

73 de W5AMI - Brian
Gates BC-1T from KVOC the "Voice of Casper" in WY
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2006, 02:52:13 PM »

Although the group is harmless enough, they think they own 7290.  They complain about the AM interference, but if an AM QSO is ongoing, when it is net time, they come right on the frequency  regardless.  The members are apparently mostly retirees with time on their hands,  since the net is scheduled to meet 4 times throughout the day or more.  99% of the time they have "negative traffic" but hang out on the frequency to ragchew.

They are too weak here to be a serious problem.  I avoid transmitting on the frequency when the "net" is in session.  But if I catch the frequency clear between their 3 or 4 hour net intervals, I consider the frequency fair game, and when the next net time comes, I don't pay much attention to their whining about someone being on "their" frequency.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2006, 02:55:06 PM »

I believe that they use 90 or 95 if there is a hurricane emergency. However the "league" usually posts some kind of a notice of radio emergency or something like that. However if there is no hurricane or other emergency it all is null and void, and they are just rag chewers like everyone else. We almost always land on 7290 when we do the spl event thing, and have never heard a complaint.

And er furthermore, no one is more of an example of what ham radio is all about than Ashtabula Bill!! He is the man!!

I believe wally and richard are 4 and 8 landers.
                                                                   The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2006, 02:56:40 PM »

I in no way intended to implicate all 5-landers, or that only QRM comes from there. Sorry. But I've specifically heard 5-land stations P&Ming about Ashtabula Bill on 7290 for 10-15 years. If others are doing it too, it's still the same-old-same-old. And that was my intended point, not to bash all 5-landers. Once again, I'm sorry. Cry

Wally & Richard are in 4-land. But I never heard them on 40 meters, thankfully.

Uh, Steve, it's not just "5" landers and we both know that. There is a lot of crap us "5" landers deal with from other areas, 4, and 0 land. Maybe you don't hear them, but we do.

That net is probably the so called 7290 traffic net that meets, not once, but several times in one day, and it includes a lot more than "5" land stations. It is a pretty much useless net anymore, but that's my own opinion.

What "land" is Richard and Wally from??

Brian / w5ami

John Holotko

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »

Years ago I used to operate 10 meter AM late at night when the band was dead, talking to a few local stations. Believe it or not, despite the lack of long distace propagation, and with all the bandwidth available on 10 meters we still got complaints from some other local hams who complained that we were on "their frequency", despite the fact that the frequency was completely clear prior to us using it.  They were also complaining that  we should not be running AM.

It seesm like no matter what you  do there is always someone who is going to take issue and complain.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2006, 03:08:57 PM »

Heh, heh. Good one. Seems it is true though. I don't know how many times I've fired up mid day on 75 meters, with nothing 20-30 kHz on either side. Within minutes, there would be some slopbucket quacking away with a few kHz. Or worse, an AMer. I will never understand this mystery.

It seesm like no matter what you do there is always someone who is going to take issue and complain.

That ain't true !
WA5VGO

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2006, 06:18:14 PM »

http://www.7290trafficnet.org/

Darrell, WA5VGO
WA3VJB
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2006, 11:58:11 AM »

The  FCC two years ago said it would no longer declare pre-emptive communications emergencies on the ham bands in anticipation of hurricanes.

Instead, the agency said 60 meters is the place such emergency communications should take place.

The group mentioned has no special claim to that frequency and their interference is actionable if a case can be made they knew the area was in use.

Riley, at Timonium, specifically mentioned the problem of traffic nets that are really ragchews.

Brings me back to the old analogy of the ham bands NOT being a bowling alley, where there can be reserved lanes for League play.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2006, 12:41:32 PM »

Brings me back to the old analogy of the ham bands NOT being a bowling alley, where there can be reserved lanes for League play.

Grin Grin Grin     

League with a capital ' L'.    Good one.

Yep, we are fortunate to have the sensible thinking of Riley on our side when it comes to this reserved channel stuff. It appears every time a "net" challenges this rule, they lose... so there is nothing to worry about as long as we are there first.  I guess the problem that makes it murky is when cornditions stretch out and two QSO's start to hear each other that were previously inaudible. In this case it pays to be flexible and have both parties QSY slightly, if possible. Axe for a compromise.

However, if a strong ssb QSO starts up on my ongoing AM QSO, I will not move. Screw them - especially if it's a habitual problem like the Wally and Richard types - fergetaboutit.

But if it's due to conditions changing or a random occurance, I will volunteer to move in a heartbeat if there is another clear freq.  Heck, even if a "real" net wants to use the freq, I will look for another. Sometimes there's plenty of room to slide around. If we do this enough, there will come a time when we need the frequency for an AM operation and they will cut us some slack. Each time we move, let them know they owe us one... Grin

Another old technique that works and is worth repeating.... getting on ssb and confronting them on their own mode can sometimes do wonders and sometimes not. It's worth a try.

But as Don and others say, there is no substitute for a big signal. Tall ships on AM have a way of maintaining a clear frequency.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
K3ZS

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2006, 01:02:34 PM »

I am listening to the net now.  It sounds sort of like 7255, 7258 and 7251, all of the CARS type nets.  I didn't hear any traffic being passed for the past hour.  It sounds like a social net with the main purpose of keeping the frequency occupied.  They shut down at lunch time central time.   Maybe we AM,ers can have one hour a day from 1 to 2 PM Eastern time.   I'll take that back, they just shut down and started right up again at 1PM EDST, yet no one seems to have traffic during this time either??
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2006, 01:10:24 PM »

While I do operare mobile, the cell phune has reduced the use of the various "CARS" ... still, they are a usefull 'service' if you need an antenna check....  As an aside, It has been said that e cars was helpful in population 7290 when some pasta people were net controll, but I have no direct knowledge of this...  klc

What? Me worry?
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2006, 01:35:22 PM »

I am listening to the net now.  It sounds sort of like 7255, 7258 and 7251, all of the CARS type nets.  I didn't hear any traffic being passed for the past hour.  It sounds like a social net with the main purpose of keeping the frequency occupied.  They shut down at lunch time central time.   Maybe we AM,ers can have one hour a day from 1 to 2 PM Eastern time.   I'll take that back, they just shut down and started right up again at 1PM EDST, yet no one seems to have traffic during this time either??

There are several of these nets on 40, and 75, probably on others too.....

This one, like others is NOT   NTS affiliated  (according to ARRL).

Maybe at one time many moons ago, it was a useful net....

The only reasoning behind calling it a traffic net, is because they think that makes it important enough so others won't bother them....

There used to be a "sort of" rule, that traffic nets took precidence, whether emergency or no.... over all other activity....

Some I guess seem to still cling to that theory....
NO net has the right to fire up on top of an existing 'qso'.....

Actually even the great ECARS has been slapped several times (the net control stations) for thinking they just HAD to get their net started, even though the frequency was already in use.......

As someone else posted....it's just too bad to have so much ill-will....but I don't see that ever changing.

W9AD
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 01:57:45 PM »

No matter what the propogation when it's their time to start up, they will. They have no intrest in moving even 1kc.
They may just be agitated again because they might have heard him saying something about confounded nincompoops on slopbuckets.

Dave W9AD
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2006, 09:38:07 PM »

Otoh, if the frequencies are not occupied, busy, and with "stuff" going on, some other interests will quickly enough act to try and take them away, of that you can be certain.

So, the theory that usage is better than no usuage - nothwithstanding those with nothing better to do than a) complain, b) claim "frequencies" as their own, c) argue or fight, d) Qwerm - at least that's how I see it.

Quite frankly, I'm more concerned about the utter and complete lack of YOUTH on the air.

_-_-WBear2GCR

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2006, 12:22:31 AM »

Otoh, if the frequencies are not occupied, busy, and with "stuff" going on, some other interests will quickly enough act to try and take them away, of that you can be certain.

How do you take something away from someone if it is not in their possession? Huh
Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2006, 10:43:06 PM »

When I was a bit more active on 7290 AM I could hear them here in NC with no problems. I would be on frequency having a nice AM chat and their net control station would fire up right on top of me. I'm sorry folks, but having been an NCS I consider that EXTREMELY bad amateur radio practice and manners. The net you run does not own the frequency, so I can't fathom why anyone would be so increadibly stupid as to name their net "The 7290 Net", thus locking into the false assumption that you will be able to meet on that frequency come hell or high water. If your regular net frequency is currently occupied by an ongoing QSO you do one of three things. 1. Break into the QSO and explain to the stations about the net usually meeting on that frequency and courteously ask them if they would mind QSYing to a different frequency. Nine times out of ten the stations agree and no feathers are ruffled. 2. Break in and with the stations permission call a few of your net members to inform them you will be holding the net on a different frequency and tell them where to look for you. 3. Wait until the stations in the QSO finish, then start your net.  It may put you five or ten minutes late in starting, but hey, it's just a net, and if you're not there to pass life or death traffic what's the harm in staring a few minutes late? If their QSO looks like it's going to continue for a long while, refer to points 1 and 2. Above all be courteous and civil. If anybody's going to act like a card carrying ass, ALWAYS let it be the other guy!
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2006, 12:01:25 PM »

I sometimes leave the radio there when fiddling in the shack with nothing better to do.  I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone pass a piece of traffic.  Seems to be primarily a social thing, or maybe they're waiting for the super-volcano in Yellowstone to blow.

I browsed through the ""annual picnic" pics on their website and was thinking how old all those guys are.  Then I went and looked in the mirror.  BIG mistake :-)
Grant/NQ5T
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2006, 03:05:31 PM »

What you guys are hearing is the 7290 (No)traffic net.  They even give net reports and follow the protcol of years back.  They are active from 11:00 until 12:00 and again from 1 until 2. 

They make a mess of 7290 here in 5 land and obviously bothering many in other zones now that the band is long.  I remember when Bill would wait for the net control to give the closing statement and he would immediately begin a CQ.  That has angered some of them. 

They really have little to do but it is a gathering place so they can remain in contact with each other.  I don't know for sure, but I think they still have an annual picnic although many are so old that cataracs may be getting in the way.

What bothers me is that if someone is there on AM that I would like to talk with, I don't if it is near "net" time.  Let them record.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015