The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:42:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Derb has brain cancer.  (Read 22436 times)
GEORGE/W2AMR
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2006, 04:44:15 AM »

Sorry to hear this Tim. Hope you have a full recovery.

Gary - WA4IAM
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2006, 07:58:25 AM »

Derb, our thoughts are with you down here in NC. You can beat this, so hang in there!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2006, 01:01:15 PM »

TNX Paul. Tell Deano I am down to 325 pounds and no longer able to compete with him in the belly bump contest.  Grin
Chuck...K1KW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2006, 04:27:55 PM »

Hi Derb,

I wish you a speedy recovery and my best wishes are with you. 

Here is something you may want to make your oncologist aware of in case he isn't.  Proton radiation therapy.  It is specifically effective in brain and spinal cancers.  Check this out for further info on one of the two centers in the US that offer it.  It is the next generation in cancer therapy and has none of the side effects that all existing treatments have.  The other center is here in Boston at Mass General Hospital.

http://www.llu.edu/proton/patient/faq.html?PHPSESSID=fdc15ebc7f4d520704fc41b12461

I am in a start up venture developing the next generation proton therapy system that will make this technology available at lower cost. 

Chuck...

73, Chuck...K1KW
W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2006, 06:03:27 PM »

Derb,
Fight, fight, fight......... keep punching and kicking...... thoughts and prayers are with you Derb -
73 Al UX

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
Joe-N2YR
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2006, 10:27:01 PM »

Congrats on the marriage! Just keep on being da BJB  ! Through family expierience I have learned the best therapy is not to let that illigitimate son of a female dog thing you have with  your health run your life. Please get on the air man. You are truly sorely
missed ! Kiss
WB2CAU

« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2006, 07:38:56 AM »

Oh man... what a bummer!  Derb, I'm hoping you'll have a full recovery ASAP.   Perhaps you can use your convalescent time to get on the air, or at least listen in.

Prior to the seizure, were there any early symptoms that you didn't take seriously?

Hang in there buddy!

Eric - WB2CAU

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
Paul, K2ORC
Contributing

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2006, 01:03:16 PM »

Tim,
Best of luck with the treatment and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.  Days of onions, days of honey, as the old saying goes.  Hang tough.

Paul K2ORC

Go Duke![/b]
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2006, 01:10:46 PM »

Yes Derb ..... all my best !!!
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2006, 08:50:02 PM »

So sorry to hear this, Derb.  My thoughts and prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

And, congrats on the upcoming marriage! Wink Grin

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
N2udf
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2006, 08:05:03 AM »

Derb,
A positive attitude goes a long way.As a cancer survivor,I can appreciate what you are going through.I don't think anybody that hasn't gone through it can know all  that it entails.Best of luck to you and your new Bride................73,Lee N2UDF.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2006, 04:05:23 PM »

F&$K ME!  I've been away for a while. Derb, hang in there bro. If there is anything I can do, call or write. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
k3zrf

« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2006, 06:12:49 PM »

So Derb, didn't you guys tie the knot this week? Pix of the bride and groom! The best to you and your bride from the zrf's (if ya did it)

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2006, 11:28:10 AM »

Hey,

we are doing it today (Monday the 17th) at 4pm in the Jefferson County Courthouse ( the same one where John Brown was found guilty of treason and hanged ) Pictures before, dinner after in Frederick at the Red Horse on the Golden Mile.

Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »

Congratulations, and best wishes to you both for a long, happy, and healthy life together!

Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2006, 12:31:31 PM »

Kool Beanz! ! ! !  Congrats and best wishes! ! ! ! !
                                                                    The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2006, 01:20:05 PM »

Derb,
       Congradulations to you and the new Mrs. Derb!
                                                                        Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2006, 04:24:59 PM »

Whoa!  Derb!  My prayers are with you.  You'll beat this thing, fior sure!    Congrats on your  marriage.  Life  throws curve-balls, sometimes.  (Trust me, I know!)    Hang in there.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2006, 05:32:03 PM »

! Congraduations  ..  I'll have several beers in your honor (along with a few for your brides honor)....

What? Me worry?
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2006, 11:20:16 PM »

Wow Derb,

You can make it through this if you keep a good attitude and surround yourself with loved ones and friends. The Chemo is tough but they have great drugs now and the classic nausea is not so bad. Hell, I never even threw up. It is your head that you will have a problem with. Its OK to be negative, but do not dwell on it for more than a few hours. Think about the positives like your bride to be, your great treatment and family and friends and ham radio and fishing, music or whatever. 

Finding out you have something like that is like being punched out of line.

My surprise came two years ago in January. I went in for some routine bloodwork, went back to work, and at 6:00 PM that night I had a knock on the door. It was my doctor in an overcoat. You see it was snowing here in New Hampshire. Who says doctors don't make housecalls?

He said that I had leukemia and that I had to go to the hospital NOW. I asked if I would die from the cancer and he said hell no, cause I would bleed to death first. You see I had no platlets.

It has been a long road, I won't sugar coat it, but I am a real success story. I have been in remission for quite a while now, almost 2 years.

One problem - when you get cancer, you change. If you liked ham radio, fishing or any other vices that you can think of, expect to like them a lot more! My response to surviving was to go on a building binge and upgrade to extra.

Best wishes and kind regards,

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
wavebourn
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2006, 12:18:13 AM »

Hey,

we are doing it today (Monday the 17th) at 4pm in the Jefferson County Courthouse ( the same one where John Brown was found guilty of treason and hanged ) Pictures before, dinner after in Frederick at the Red Horse on the Golden Mile.

Hi Tim;

Good Luck and congratulations! Wow!  Cheesy
wa2zdy
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2006, 11:45:53 AM »

You can beat this.  And congratulations on your marriage last evening.

I got sick in Jan 2005 and they told my wife I would probably die.  I didn't.  I've never been able to go back to work but that just means more time for hamming. 

You can laugh or you can cry.  I did enough crying and now I laugh.  It really IS the best medicine.

Good luck.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2006, 03:36:11 PM »

Let us know if you want an antenner raised at your place, Drb, I'm sure we can mount a party to string up a diaper pole for ya.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2006, 07:24:30 PM »

I'm thinking about it. summertime is not the best but maybe in the fall when the time switches back to rdio season I'll get back on. Would hve to be a modern rig tho for lots of reasons - too many pets, cant carry the weight, etc.

prolly super modified ft102 with LIN YAR would be best. ( and a reverb/echo box ) Cheesy
wa1knx
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2006, 01:25:52 AM »

hi Derb,
      well I don't git in here much, Paul updated me, but reading in here its more
that I first thought.  My good buddy maul pounding black james bond, please be well!
I don't have yer current fone, fire me off some e-mail at..

deanm1952@yahoo.com

..I will call you!

deano

am forever!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015