The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 04:56:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Derb has brain cancer.  (Read 22435 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: April 06, 2006, 11:33:59 AM »

Tongue

well, I have been in the hospital for 36 days and just got home. I wanted to let everyone on the radio side of things know but
I had no way of contacting  anyone here from the hospital and Gloria did not know how to. I had a seizure on March 3rd and fell out
but got to the ER. They did a ct scan on my head and found a large tumor on my brain. I got airlifted to Georgetown University Hospital in critical condition
and they did brain surgery on me on March 10. The tumor is  hi grade malignant but they got 85% of it in the operation and the rest they hope to beat down with chemo and radiation. I am sorry I could not let every one know until now.

I am able to walk with a cane and get around some but my left aide is messed up. I cant hold anything with my left hand. But all things considered I am doing OK. My head looks like I got kicked by a horse with a shoe on.  Grin

Since I have net access again I wanted to let everyone know.

Derb
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 11:47:34 AM »

Good to hear you're still 'live & kickin' Derb. I have a friend of mine that had the same thing. I knew he was going in to surgery. I told him to ask the doctor to put a piece of tissue in a jar. That way when someone pissed him off, he could give them a piece of his mind Grin. Good luck to you and I'll keep you in my prayers that the chemo does the rest without any ill effects.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 11:49:19 AM »

Wow, what an experince!

Hang in there Derb. Thoughts and prayers are with you as you go after this sucker.  Medicine just keeps getting better at these things.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 11:57:12 AM »

Good Luck Derb.
 Keep fighting it!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 12:37:09 PM »

Wow, Derb...  sorry to hear that, OM.

We're all so fragile - just walking chemistry sets.

I hope everything goes well in the procedures and you're back feeling well after it all.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 12:56:20 PM »

MAN, I didnt need to hear this! That really SUCKS! I hope you are at least feeling acceptable. I was wondering why I never heard anything from you about the party. I was really hoping to see you there. Sometimes life just isnt fair!  if there is anything that I can do, call me. Regards and best wishes.
                                                                    the Slab Bacon

I REALLY NEED TO HEAR THE B.J.B. ON THE AIR AGAIN!!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 12:57:27 PM »

Holy Sh*t, Derb.

Thank God you had that cat scan, even if the circumstances leading up to it sucked. These things are silent killers if they don't do something to give themselves away in advance, like yours did. The Force is with you, man.

I think I can speak for pretty much everybody when I say that even those of us who spent most of our time in long political debates with you are wholeheartedly pulling for you. You're already a survivor, and I hope it's a long and happy survival.

Keep your spirits up, and I've no doubt you'll kick the crap out of this in typical Derb fashion.

Best of luck to you in your recovery, hombre'.

--Thom
Goofy phonetics don't seem appopriate right now
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 01:02:02 PM »

Hi Derb:

I am very sorry to hear this.

I hope you feel better and you can get on the air soon.

One good thing I like about this site and ham ardio is the support you can get from radio friends.

The best of luck!

Dan
W1DAN
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 01:29:06 PM »

Sorry to hear Derb, best wishes for a speedy recovery...

Chuck
k3zrf

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 01:30:20 PM »

Derb,

Hang in there, man. You got a lot of fight in you.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Art
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 01:39:21 PM »

Hi Derb,
'sorry you are ill but it's good you are recovering and will continue to get better. Kick its ass amigo . . .
All the best,
Art
Herb K2VH

Pennsylvanian shaking hands with Yankee

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 03:04:03 PM »

Derb,

It is times like these that words escape me.  I will say simply that medicine today can get these things under control beyond anything we had thought about even 10 years ago.  But the doctors do need help, so all of us, myself included, will be appealing to the almighty God, each in our own way, that He be with you and your doctors as you fight this battle.  He will surely help you to win!

Herb

K2VHerb
First licensed in 1954 as KN2JVM  
On AM since 1955;on SSB since 1963

"Just because your voice reaches halfway around the world doesn't mean you are wiser than when it reached only to the end of the bar."
--Edward R. Murrow
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 04:53:28 PM »

Derb,

Best of Luck OM. 

73 es God Bless

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2006, 06:10:49 PM »

Derb,

It is times like these that words escape me.  I will say simply that medicine today can get these things under control beyond anything we had thought about even 10 years ago.  But the doctors do need help, so all of us, myself included, will be appealing to the almighty God, each in our own way, that he be with you and your doctors as you fight this battle.  He will surely help you to win!

Herb

Tim (Derb),

This sort of hits home for me.  I have to echo what Herb said.  Hang in there and don't leave anything to chance. Medical technology has improved over the last 10 or 15 years.    I lost a very close friend to brain cancer in 1990 and to this day I don't think the doctors turned over every stone.  Of course things were different then too.  My friend Don lost the battle at the age of 29.  Left a 5 and 7 year old  behind and a loving wife. To this day I don't think the doctors were adept at dealing with what he was dealing with but the details are another story.  I was saddened and mad for a long time.   The point I'm trying to make is get multiple opinions and diagnosis's.  Don't mess around.   I do want to say I'm glad things are working out for you at this point in time.  Be strong. Be dilegent. Don't give up.   I'll be strong in hoping and praying and I won't give up either..   You can beat this..

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA3VJB
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2006, 06:30:43 PM »

No fkg szht? What a chilling report.
Gad, not fair.
Maybe get good and pissed and direct it at the remaining 15 pct, poof! Gone!
That's my wish for ya, fingers crossed.

W1UJR
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2006, 06:57:28 PM »

Tongue

well, I have been in the hospital for 36 days and just got home. I wanted to let everyone on the radio side of things know but
I had no way of contacting  anyone here from the hospital and Gloria did not know how to. I had a seizure on March 3rd and fell out
but got to the ER. They did a ct scan on my head and found a large tumor on my brain. I got airlifted to Georgetown University Hospital in critical condition

Derb,

I really appreciate you sharing something so deeply personal, that takes some real courage.
Some years back I lost a good friend to what was then a fatal disease and my biggest regret is that he dropped out of sight and did not communicate with anyone.

While I'm deeply saddened to hear your challange, I am pleased that you consider us all good enough friends to share such with and heartened that medical science has made some huge strides in the treatment of your condition.
One of my good friends suffered from the same aliment, and after treatment is doing quite well nearly a decade later, so hang in there OM.

Know that both you and Gloria will be in my thoughts and prayers and I'm trusting in the best.

73 Bruce 1UJR
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2006, 08:03:12 PM »

thank you everyone. How could I not let everyone here know? You were a major part of my life for many years. I just burned out on doing the same  thing for 25 years. I miss the people, even if not thew radio itself.

but with the bad comes the good, I'll be getting married to Gloria my fiancee on the 11th.   Cool So with everything there is good.

best way to monitor things with me is through my blog www.libertyforsale.com. The latest will always be there.

John Holotko

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 09:53:59 PM »

At first I was hoping that I was misreading. Wow, that's a real bad break. I am very sorry to hear this happened. However, I am glad to hear that the surgery went well and that you are recovering. I hope that you'll be able to knock this thing down completely and gain full recovery. I extend my best wishes to you. Stay strong and keep in touch.

N2IZE<br /><br />Because infinity comes in different sizes.
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 10:31:18 PM »

Derb,

I am just yellowfied to hear about the cancer, but relieved that you made it through your surgery. We are all getting to be "old buzzards" and most of us are suffering from some effects of old buzzardom in one way or another.

Hang in there bro, both Mary and I wish you and yours the best. I am sure someday we'll work each other on 75 AM again, just like the old days... Here's hoping you get well soon Derb.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 10:35:54 PM »

Tim,
     Words cannot express how I feel about the news and wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. You've been through an awful lot!

Congradulations to both you and Gloria and I wish for the very best for you.

If you don't have any gear left and decide one day that you want to get on the air; we can hookup somewhere and I'll lend you a station. Just add an antenna for some instant fun. The raincheck is good indefinitely.

Best Regards and many thanks for letting all of us know your situation.
Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 10:58:35 PM »

Derb,

Just to let you know I'm thinking of you.

Don k4kyv

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2006, 09:41:52 AM »

Derb

My prayers for a quick recovery. Good luck to you and your future XYL Smiley

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
WA3VJB
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2006, 09:55:57 AM »

Derb I made sure Dean knew of your struggle back to health this morning when I had the pleasure of talking with him on 75m.

He was totally shocked, completely unaware, and first asked if you were still living or not !

Once we got that straight, he said "my God I love that guy, what a bummer!"

And I said I would post to you his best hopes for your recovery.

Paul-VJB
Joe Long
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »

Derb: Hang in there Bro. All of us are thinking of you and wishing you a speedy recovery. Joe  NM1V
W1IA

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »

OH MAN....Saying prayers for ya Derb.

We are all pulling for you.....

Brent W1IA

Run What Ya Brung!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015