The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 03:41:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How About Reviving the PW Net?  (Read 13711 times)
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2006, 09:38:41 AM »

Be there or be QRO

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2006, 09:41:31 AM »

Be there or be QRO

Carl - I'll be QRO (325W) on the Hallicrafters HT4-H. I plan on turning it on about 10AM to get some stability from it's tooning unit. I'd LOVE to hear your new HB transmitter. It's the "Berries"!
                   Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2006, 12:20:27 PM »

Hello All,
          I would like to thank everyone who made the "Pissweak and Hyellowy" net today at 11AM. Please find the following check-ins, their equipment,power levels and signals into Washington Crossing,Pa.:

WA1KPD Carl, Killingworth,Ct. HB 6V6 X6F6's 7W output    S1-2

KD2XA Chris Mamoroneck,NY  Drake T4XB 10W                 S5

WB2CAU Eric L.I.NY. FT-101B/R-2000 18W                      S3-6

KE2IL Sal FT-1000 MKV        L.I. NY.   115W                    S9

W2DTC Ken Middletown,NJ   6.5W Viking II on variac         S2

W2GEZ Mike Princeton,NJ   Yaesu FT-101  25W                S1-3

KC2IFR Bill,Upstate NY. Viking 500/R-390A  300W              S9+15

KA3TGV Doug Lewistown,Pa  FT-920 w AL811 75W         S9
                                          FT-920 w/o amp 6W          S2-3

Conditions weren't all that terrific so I'd guess signals will be hopefully better the next time around. I was on a Valiant II at about 125W output from SE Pa, near Philly.

Best Regards and a very happy holiday.
                                                     Joe Cro N3IBX                 

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2006, 12:54:29 PM »

Good time Joe, but the sigs were weak. Maybe the wrong time of day. i will be on 1945 tonight with K1VYU and both of us will be PW. If that does not work , I will turn on the amp, a pair of 807s.
Thanks to W1UX

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W2JBL

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2006, 10:37:39 PM »

Thanks for getting the "net" off the ground Joe. i know we talked about doing this a few years ago but never got it going. nice to see it work and actually get some participation. by the way i need to correct you on my station: i was running 10 watts out of the screen modulated (modified) T4XB, not 20. 20 wattts is QRO, HA! and i bet you never thought you'd hear me on at 11AM either, eh? next week i'll be back but on my old novice 6L6 xtal oscillator rig, modded by a pair of 6L6's. can i put in a vote for a better time to do this? how about late afternoon, say 4 or 5 PM? 11AM is a bad time to be PW+H on 75.
W1UJR
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2006, 11:32:10 AM »

Hey Joe, thanks for taking the lead!

I spaced on that entire day, wow, missed out on some good fun.
Next weekend for sure OM.

Perhaps I'll catch you on 160 this week, hope to get on in the evenings, QRN permitting.

73 Bruce W1UJR
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2006, 01:06:16 PM »

Chris,Others,
                 I'd like your comments about 75M propogation at 3-4PM or so. To my knowledge of medium wave that would be the "critical hours" in which propogation isn't at it's finest. I know 3.9MHZ isn't medium wave, but from my own experiences I think we'd stand a better chance running PW&H earier in the day by reception reports coming from the windchime and "quirm" beacon generator located in Liberty Corner, NJ - hi!

Phil, K2PG: Any comments about this? Ditto for anyone else. Your inpoot will be most appreciated by all.

I fired up my "Beastly 610" and had massive arcing from the plate control relay as well as other places and will try to get that situation rectified by next Sunday. The BC-610 will do 325 output on 'fone, which will make it easier to hear. Also, I have a nifty "Ameco" GasFET preamp I can run with the SX-17 or other receiver that would help me to hear the more pissweak and hyellowy among us.

If it weren't for the BC-610 crapout and quick switch over to the Valiant II, I would have had a decent "preamble" to introduce the net. I didn't want to keep others waiting "in the bucket" as my oldbuzzard buddy Jack, W1EUI says, so I just broke into the net to get it moving along.

I think the ideal situation would be to have a "tall ship" located at points North,South,East, and West to hear as many stations as possible and then report each one in to the net control station.

Let's discuss strategies, pw operating practices, etc., whatever, that you feel would make the PW&H net more fun and enjoyable for everyone.

Give us your hyellowy and Pissweak transmitters, your modulated oscillators and triode connected 6L6's yearning to transmit QRM free!

Best Regards,
                  Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015