The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 02:38:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How About Reviving the PW Net?  (Read 13710 times)
W1UJR
« on: March 26, 2006, 08:05:12 PM »

What do you guys think about holding forth on a regular PW net?

Power to be limited to 5 watts or less, maybe one or two tall ships to ward off QRM.
Ricebox to homebrew hot cathode emitters would be welcome.
Weekend afternoons seem a prime time on the band, quiet and empty.

I've been doing informally on and off for the last month or so, but if it was a known event it might encourage some addtional activity and even spark some homebrewing of PW rigs.

Steve as a nice link at http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/k1etppw.htm for a simple cakepan TX, but anything, homebrew to ricebox would be welcome.

What say you?

-1UJR

* Cakepan TX.JPG (150.47 KB, 640x480 - viewed 746 times.)
W1UJR
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2006, 12:19:54 PM »

I take it thats a NO?  Grin
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 06:37:09 PM »

The  ....   UAN Memorial Net  ....

What? Me worry?
WA3VJB
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 08:21:15 PM »

If you have a PW Net, how do you know when anyone checks in ?
KE1GF
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2006, 02:49:19 PM »

Bruce,
         I'm ready to rock any time.

-Bill 'GF
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 10:23:11 PM »

Bruce - Count me in.
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W1UJR
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 11:44:05 AM »

What works for you guys?

Afternoon or morning?

75 meters?

Weekends?

How about something like 75 meters on Sunday afternoon before the band gets busy, say in the area of 1PM or so?

I am thinking that this might serve as fun project to stimulate the interest in homebrew for newcomers to the hobby, and at the same time encourage some of us old buzzards to break open the parts boxes and build something new. Could be a fun way to experiment with new stuff, solid state and tube.

What say you?

1UJR
Fred k2dx

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 01:55:29 PM »

What?  Is he still talking?
KR4WI
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 05:48:00 PM »

I have a 6aq5 cakepan tx, build on a handicap parking sign about 70% complete. This is my first homebrew tx. Hope to have it finish by the time the pw net starts. also they are a big group on 3885 hr at around noon to 1:30 on sundays. Matthew KR4WI
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2006, 09:29:56 PM »

What works for you guys?

Afternoon or morning?

75 meters?

Weekends?

How about something like 75 meters on Sunday afternoon before the band gets busy, say in the area of 1PM or so?

I am thinking that this might serve as fun project to stimulate the interest in homebrew for newcomers to the hobby, and at the same time encourage some of us old buzzards to break open the parts boxes and build something new. Could be a fun way to experiment with new stuff, solid state and tube.

What say you?

1UJR

Bruce- I think Sunday afternoons at 1PM on 75M would work out fine. I can be PW&Y (PissWeak and Yellowy) or a tall ship. Whatever works best for the group.
Regards,
          Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
KE7NL - Jack
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2006, 09:41:45 PM »

I'm in.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2006, 11:28:47 PM »

Of course I may get on with my favorite PW homebrew.
A 6V6 modulated by a pair of 6F6s all built on an old AM/FM rcvr chassis. 7 W out with plenty of mod. There is a switch behind the "final" which reduces output to 300MW. Have had  QSOs without the other station knowing it.

Nice Bootown plate meter. The idea was to build it up with all odd parts I had kicking around.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2006, 09:48:21 AM »

Of course I may get on with my favorite PW homebrew.
A 6V6 modulated by a pair of 6F6s all built on an old AM/FM rcvr chassis. 7 W out with plenty of mod. There is a switch behind the "final" which reduces output to 300MW. Have had  QSOs without the other station knowing it.

Nice Bootown plate meter. The idea was to build it up with all odd parts I had kicking around.

Carl - Your PW rig is "The Berries"! Good construction job and hope to hear it on the air! I love the homebrewski base you made for the JT30 microphonium. It's not rocket science, and very functional.
I wish we lived closer. You and I could get into some serious trouble and would be the scorn of both of our xyl's - hi!

BTW, is the transmitting inductance a 160M end linked job? Do you have a coil for 75M?
Regards,
           Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2006, 12:23:42 PM »

That's a pretty neat rig, Carl. I've never seen it before. It's cool when the parts are out in the open to molest... Grin

Here's my 6AQ5 X 6AQ5 series modulated rig. It features a crystal VXO to pull the xtals around about 3kc. Seven crystals continuosly cover the full 3868-3892 area. It runs 2W or 200mW. Fully self contained - just plug in a mike or line level hi-fi audio and xtal.  All Teflon wire. It will easily do 250% modulation and it's the only rig I can run super audio where no one complains. PW has its advantages.

I've been very busy starting a new business and building up the new rigs, so haven't made an effort to get on the air. But I will make an exception for the PW Net and fire this thing up to join in.

T

Schematic:
http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/series.htm

Big Picture Views:
http://home.comcast.net/~k1jj/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-2106079.html
http://home.comcast.net/~k1jj/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-2106076.html

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
W1UJR
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2006, 12:34:13 PM »

I like the Sunday at 1PM thing, maybe just hang a bit below the AM Window.

Carl, I like your suggestion and certainly want you and your gear in the Net.
Do you think that there may be too much competition at 5PM to run the net, early afternoons work seem to have less activity?

Let’s try 1:00PM and then we can shift to later times if it works for the guys, we can experiment and find out what works best.

Same with the freq thing, thinking 3875, but of most of the group are rock bound, we can pick another freq.

So, despite the good WX, I will be on today bellowing out for the AM PW Net at 1:00PM.

See who comes back, and with what gear.

If we are going to do this on a regular basis, can I get a volunteer for a backup or alternative NCS?

It would also be interesting to see what gear everyone is running, so free feel to post to this thread with images and/or descriptions.

-1UJR

* PissPoster.gif (22.43 KB, 420x297 - viewed 597 times.)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2006, 12:44:19 PM »

Bruce,

Good deal, OM.

A few suggestions:

Through experimentation back in 1995, I found that the best times for a Sunday PW Net in the Spring were around 3-4PM.  This lets the W3's and W1's communicate as well as provide a time slot where many guys were coming back from outside chores, etc.  You want a time that is maybe an hour or two before sunset for best condix.

I won't be around at 1PM today, but will listen in later this afternoon.  BTW, most of the xtal controlled rigs use 3885 xtals or around that area. To hold a net, it's a good idea to try for 3885 + - 5kc if possible...

Later -

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2006, 08:20:20 PM »

Tom Vu - It would be great to have you aboard and hear your series modulated rig again. I remember we worked one time a few years ago on 75M and you sounded superb! I believe you were running your usual audio chain at the time. I heard you at 2W and 200MW UPW (ULTRAPissWeak).

Bruce,Carl,Others, let's give it a whirl next Sunday at 1PM EDT on 3885KC. We'll keep it informal. I'll be on something higher powered like a BC-610 or T-368 to ward off the evil slopbucketeering spirits (The frequency is in use OM, thanks for asking) if they interfere, and to "coach" if necessary. I think it'll be fun!

Carl - WA1KPD - Do you have/need a 75M coil? I can give you one whilst you're here and we could operate together. What say?

Paul - K2ORC
Slab Bacon - KB3AHE
Chris KD2XA
Timmy WA1HLR
Bill - KE1GF

etc etc get your Pissweak rigs online if you can.

Best Regards,
                  Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 10:42:17 AM »

Hello All,
          Unfortunately I won't be able to make the 1PM net on Sunday since a family issue came up. Hope to be able to make the next one.
Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 11:50:31 AM »

I cannot make this one either.

Joe- Looks like Sunday is going to be a non- starter doe to other family issues. We will try again next time I am in the area.

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1UJR
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2006, 12:41:49 PM »

Next week then?

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2006, 12:51:48 PM »

Next week then?

Bruce - Even though it'll be Easter Sunday, count me in!

How about Sunday 4/16 at 12:30AM on 3885KC? I'll be able to stay for at least one hour possibly two.

Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

W1UX
Contributing

When ya see a fork in the road, TAKE IT!

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2006, 09:30:29 AM »

I'll try to be there, but doubt that anyone will hear me Smiley
Al

Al "Al" (Al)  W1UX..... over, OVER!!! anyone OUT THERE? hi hi ha ha hee hee ho ho haw haw DAMMIT! Where'd that FLY come from?!?!?
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2006, 02:50:51 PM »

Have Easter dinner this weekend at 1 at the inlaws. may try earlier say around 11 to see if anyone is on

Carl

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2006, 04:28:15 PM »

Have Easter dinner this weekend at 1 at the inlaws. may try earlier say around 11 to see if anyone is on

Carl - I'll try to get on 3885KC at 11AM. Hope to work you and others then. In the meanwhile have a Happy Easter!
         Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2006, 09:17:03 AM »

Hope to see everyone today, Easter Sunday at about 11AM on 3885KC.

Give me your Pissweak and hyellowy!
                                                  Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015