The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:09:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Panoramic Radio Products - Panadapter/Spectrum Analyzers??  (Read 24742 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« on: March 28, 2016, 12:08:09 AM »

Anyone out there familiar with the Panoramic Radio Products model SPA-3??
Could not find a schematic on the 'net.

Any leads would be appreciated.

Looks very neat, and I have one coming my way... crazy as that is given that you can do all this with a USB
dongle and a computer these days.  Roll Eyes

I have figured out that they were rolled into Singer, and Singer made solid state versions, but mostly these were for microwave freqs. Have found Opcom's schematics, and other Panoramic schematics, but not this model. Read up on the history, etc... fascinating stuff.

See the picture...

... ought to look nifty peachy keen sitting with an r-390 or an SP-600!

Anyone know what these things cost back in the day?

_-_-

PS. looks like it draws a stupid amount of power from the wall... Shocked

* PANORAMIC SPECTRUM ANALYZER - rotated.JPG (3630.07 KB, 2448x3264 - viewed 1096 times.)

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 01:03:52 AM »

Nice piece of equipment. Much more soul than the imaginary facsimile behind a USB plug.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 03:21:42 AM »

Looks like it needs an outboard power supply. You getting that too?
http://www.recycledgoods.com/panoramic-spa-3-25-spectrum-analyzer-w-power-supply-unit-model-ps-19.html

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WBear2GCR

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 07:54:14 AM »

Yes.

Expect it to draw more than my transmitter!!

But, no manual... Sad

signed,

I have a sickness, why do I like this stuff, please help me!!

WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »

Good size variable on top of it!
WBear2GCR

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 10:00:16 AM »

doesn't come with that... that pic is not mine, it's from the Charlotte Hamfest, which is another thread just posted here...

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:31 PM »

Yes.

Expect it to draw more than my transmitter!!

But, no manual... Sad

signed,

I have a sickness, why do I like this stuff, please help me!!

I'll look in my stash of manuals I haven't cataloged yet. I remember seeing a number of Panoramic manuals in there.

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 05:47:04 PM »

Sorry, don't have any info on it.

WBear2GCR

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 05:52:40 PM »

Thanks for looking - no SPA at all? I see they made an SPA-4 (whatever that was)...

Maybe it will just work when it arrives? Heh.

_-_-

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 07:18:03 PM »

Thanks for looking - no SPA at all? I see they made an SPA-4 (whatever that was)...

Maybe it will just work when it arrives? Heh.

_-_-

I have PCA, SA, SB,SSB stuff listed. In the uncataloged stuff, I saw some signal generators and some other stuff under that name, but no SPA stuff at all. A school mate of mine whose father worked for them back in the good old days, said they made lots of equipment and mostly for the military and contract stuff (handful quantities of models).
Good luck with the acquisition. I have a Panoramic PCA-2-type 200. Very similar to Hallicrafters SP-44.

WBear2GCR

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 09:06:19 PM »

yep. thanks...  tilting at windmills here.

perhaps someone will show up yet... Cheesy

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 09:30:05 PM »

IIRC they of that older type are fussy about supply voltages, but that is a gem there, tune to your I.F. and set the width and see them encroachers!

I have something like that here so let me check the power supply model and see if it is truly the PS-19. - by the picture, it is. Note the similar frequency range as well. It is an SPA-3/25a model.

Perhaps I can help in some way, although I am loathe to give up the unit, it is not in working order and I have not investigated past power-up, but I think the power supply is clear of any major issue and that it is the brain is out of order.

Keep looking for the book though that even the old analyzers are 'simple', to fix/align without the book's help is an arduous task. We can discuss further. If you need power, at the least I can do some checking.  or perhaps more. Do you have any rear-panel cables?

* 100_0899.JPG (656.31 KB, 1808x1493 - viewed 974 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2016, 12:02:38 AM »

The other important consideration; what is the input IF frequency? Panoramic made some models with unusual IF inputs.

WBear2GCR

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 09:03:43 AM »

Pete, take a close look at the front panel picture, it says something like 200cps-something mHz.

Patrick, I do have the PS coming with the cable(s).

Yours looks like an updated version, built by Singer.
Neat, think you'll need to fire it up?
slightly different range...
Is it tube or solid state, or hybrid??
Got the book on it??

There will be some investigation involved.
I hoped that you set the center freq (like to 455hz) and then connect it to the IF out, and away you go!?!?

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 01:55:14 PM »

Pete, take a close look at the front panel picture, it says something like 200cps-something mHz.
I hoped that you set the center freq (like to 455hz) and then connect it to the IF out, and away you go!?!?

I think you're right. Looks like that center frequency knob has a high and low scale and probably the center knob has a switch to switch between the two ranges. So all you should have to do is just set the center frequency to the receiver's IF.

Typically, the first mixer of a receiver would feed the panadapter. I wonder if there was a way for the output of the panadapter's IF chain to feed back into the detector of the receiver (or maybe even in series with the receiver's IF chain). Then, using the center frequency control and the bandwidth control of the panadapter, you would have a way to shift the IF bandpass to eliminate interference from other  stations and also be able to adjust the bandwidth of the IF to a certain degree.

In poking around the internet, I saw that Tucker Electronics just recently sold a SPA-3A original manual on Ebay.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2016, 01:07:49 AM »

Patrick, I do have the PS coming with the cable(s).

Yours looks like an updated version, built by Singer.
Neat, think you'll need to fire it up?
slightly different range...
Is it tube or solid state, or hybrid??
Got the book on it??

You set the center freq (like to 455hz) and then connect it to the IF out. The gain for the input and the unit's internal IF can be juggled to make the lowest noise on the display, which should not be an issue with a receiver IF which is a strong signal if the IF output jack is being used.
For this application, with no input and RF gain down (atten max), increase the IF gain (or reduce its attenuation) til there is noise on the base line, then back down a notch for a reasonably clean base line. Then with the RF gain lowest, connect to the RX IF and increase it til you get a satisfactory display. I prefer the log display mode over linear for receiver IF monitoring.

If the receive signal is taken before the receiver's narrow IF and will be lightly coupled, then it will be smaller and more gain will be needed in the analyzer, but of course you get a broader spectrum. You may benefit by increasing the unit's input impedance from 50 ohms to a high value, the possibility and benefit of which depends on the analyzer. It is often a simple resistor network but sometimes is compensated in the manner of an oscilloscope input attenuator on these older units.

One thing you will see is that, whatever the passband of the signal you select from the receiver, that shape will be applied to the display. In purpose-built bandscopes, a circuit is included that peaks up the amplitude at the ends of the sweep or at the sides of the bandpass skirt, to give a display that is better calibrated over the spectrum bandwidth passed by the receiver to the analyzer. This is usually discussed in bandscope technical manuals. It is not a usual characteristic of a spectrum analyzer. I have not found this annoying and I usually set the sweep width to just cover the relatively flat portion of the receivers' bandpass.

The center frequency is coarsely adjusted, esp. around 455KHz, and these old units need to warm up a while because they will drift a bit, but it can be set anywhere up to 27? MHz input center frequency by adjusting that knob. and that's that, for how to use it. Later models such as those with manuals on bunkerofdoom are solid state and have a fine center frequency adjustment. My SPA3/25a seems to be all tubes and I have no book for it. If I had the manual for this I would post it. but I don't have it.

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 01:34:54 AM »

Bear, concern not yourself about the size and power consumption on that unit.

I have a LaVoie SA three times that size... Shocked...and it probably does less.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 07:35:22 AM »

Correctomundo. Now stop tilting at windmills and use one to power the bloody thing. (;->)

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2016, 11:25:36 AM »

Anyone out there familiar with the Panoramic Radio Products model SPA-3??
Could not find a schematic on the 'net.

I have an original manual coming thanks to eBay - I'll let you know when I have it scanned.
In some fit of insanity, I added one of these monsters to my basement's to-be-resurrected pile.
cheers,
Nick K4NYW
www.navy-radio.com

WBear2GCR

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2016, 02:23:35 PM »

Oh geez... now there are two of us!! Cheesy

Heh.

Well you'll need to share a picture here of your unit... please do let me know if and when said manual
arrives?

On another note of interest to all, one of the manuals suppliers has their site shut down, say they are closing and have made an arrangement to DONATE ALL of their manuals to Archive.org!! Which ought to mean that pretty much any manual for old stuff will soon be available for a free download, IF and when archive.org orders in some more scanners and slaves to run them...

http://www.manualsplus.com/

...wonder what the actual ETA of these docs will be...?

_-_-

WBear2GCR

« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2016, 02:26:05 PM »

Bear, concern not yourself about the size and power consumption on that unit.

I have a LaVoie SA three times that size... Shocked...and it probably does less.

73DG

Uh, hey Dennis!

Are there any wide shots of your place/gear??
I'm constantly amazed at just what you put up for sale here... would love to see more stuff!!
(you can email me if you don't want to go "public")

_-_-bear

K7MCG

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2016, 07:35:08 PM »

Some of the Panoramic products from the 1950's and 60's had a remote control connector on the rear of the chassis,  containing a jumper wire which had to be present to completely power up the analyzer.  If you have a problem powering up, check for an open socket on the rear chassis apron.
Chuck K7MCG  (ex N7RHU)

PS  I have many panoramic manuals available, but not the SPA-3.  Sorry
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2016, 07:25:47 PM »

Three of us  Grin Mine should be similar enough to benefit!

PJ

Oh geez... now there are two of us!! Cheesy

Heh.

Well you'll need to share a picture here of your unit... please do let me know if and when said manual
arrives?

K4NYW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2016, 05:51:14 PM »

I've gotten started - I have scanned the manual for SPA-3 and SPA-3/25
The schematics are blueprint sized so I'll have to go to FedEx Office tomorrow to scan them.
I have scanned the schematic for the SPA-3/25a. I don't have one for the SPA-3a.
I do have a manual for the "a" versions that I'll scan tomorrow or sometime soon.
But that should give you some reading material. PDF files are at
http://www.navy-radio.com/manuals/test/

Cheers,
Nick

WBear2GCR

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 04:04:34 PM »

Nick,

Thanks so much for the manual(s)!!
Fabulouso!

My unit arrived today.
Was driving back to the /2 QTH and the Fedex driver was pulling down the block as I was approaching from across the other side of the street that ran perpendicular. Tried to flag him down, but I think he though I was
harassing him! You know, flashing the headlights, waving, honking... caught up to way up the street, and was
able to pull next to him. Rolled the window down - "...hey! you got a package for xxxx  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ave?" Yeah. So I back up and he backs up, and he puts the package in the back of the van!

I'll post some pix as soon as I can figure out WHERE I PUT THE DANG CAMERA!!

The connecting cable came yesterday, which was interesting since it came USPS and was sent out after the 2 big boxes... phew.

_-_-

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015