The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 11:36:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins 75A3 Question about BFO and Other Problems  (Read 3151 times)
K8JLY

« on: April 11, 2016, 08:49:03 AM »

I have a Collins 75A3 that I have owned for over 40 years.  I stopped using the radio about 1983.  I used this receiver on CW, SSB  and RTTY regularly.  I decided to get the old receiver out and operating again.  Did the preliminary cleaning and inspections.  At this time I noticed it had a 6BE6 in place of the 6BA6 BFO oscillator.  When I powered it up it seemed to work except no BFO.  I put the 6BE6 back in the BFO oscillator socket and it worked.  Question 1)  Was this some kind of modification done to these receivers.  I cannot find any mention of this change.  2) The receiver seems to have a high noise level and I can't remember if it was always the case.  3) The S-Meter operates but does not reflect received signals no matter what adjustment I make.  I haven't gone through the components on the AVC / Detector string as yet.  Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Cid -- K8JLY
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:39:12 AM »

Ham Radio Magazine ran an article on changing out the 6BA6 BFO to a 6BE6 for product detector/VFO operation.  Adds some minimal parts and some minor circuit changes. Maybe that was the plan or maybe someone mistakenly just stuck a 6BE6 in the socket.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
K9DXL

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 06:17:53 PM »

Re:  The S-meter.  The meter adjust pot may be dirty after years of disuse. Rotate through its adjustment range, clean with DeoxIT or other contact cleaner.  Might be the easy fix.

Breathing solder fumes since 1959.  That explains a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015