The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:38:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Finally Decided To Upgrade. Should I Change My Call?  (Read 10364 times)
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« on: December 15, 2013, 05:28:59 AM »

Well, I've finally decided to upgrade from Advanced to Extra. I love being an Advanced because of it's 'elite' status since they don't issue it anymore, and when you tell someone not in the know that you're 'Advanced' it speaks for itself. If you say 'Extra' they are like WTF is that?

But anyway, I'm toying with the idea of changing my call there's a really cool 1x2 call I think is available that I want. I won't disclose what it is until I either get it or lose it. I'll always proudly wear the moniker YellRX, but I'll have a new call. A 1x2 is the one reason I have incentive to  upgrade. I finally found one I like, and it's not an A call.

So, should I change my call or shouldn't? Huh Help me decide because I can't I kinda like my call, but like I said a 1x2 is awful tempting.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 06:18:03 AM »

OK, I checked the FCC database and the call has not been in the cool down pool long enough to reissue. That's probably why it's still not there because it's in purgatory.  That gives me time to read and understand rather than rushing and memorizing questions rather than actually understanding why said answer is correct.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 07:17:05 AM »

Your call sign is like your name.  You've been Randy for all of your life, and suddenly tomorrow you're going to be Fred for the rest of your life.  If you're OK with that, then go for it.  I held my original issue call (WA2MER) for 36 years before taking my current vanity call.  As much as I like my current call, it took a LOT of getting used to, and I still sometimes wish I hadn't changed. YMMV.

And forget the status thing.  You don't need to impress your friends, and people who you need to impress aren't worth the trouble.  The status thing is all in your own head  Grin.

Good luck with your upgrade!

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
K3ZS

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 07:45:10 AM »

If would if you could get one that you want.  I wanted one close to my old call K3EZS.   When the licenses were dumbed down, I changed my call while I could still get one that I wanted.  My family was the most upset because it was like changing your name to them.  Sometimes I have a few regrets about changing it.
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 07:58:45 AM »

Well, I do like my call. I must admit I hated it when I first got it because there aren;t really and spiffy phonetics to come up with for X, People started calling me The LoRaX and that was cool, then came along the AM gang who coined me as Yellrx. I've got two years to decide if I want to change my call or not.

I'm going to buy the upgrade book and study it every opportunity I get. As well as taking the online practice tests. I'm also going to Texas in February, I'll be going by train so I'll have 36 hours to myself I can easily study the book on the train. I like the book over the online tests because the book explains why the answer is instead of just telling you that you got it wrong and marking the right one. My short term memory really have trouble memorizing those and if I see them again in the next attempt I've already forgotten the right answer. I think the book with an explanation will solve that.

I'll have to admit the 100 khz I gain on 80m fone by becoming an extra is also an incentive.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
Jim/WA2MER
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 08:07:05 AM »

I like the book over the online tests because the book explains why the answer is instead of just telling you that you got it wrong and marking the right one.
That's the right way to do it. Study and actually understand the material. You will then be a "real" licensee, something that in itself is an accomplishment. The extra 100 kc is nice, but the challenge is the motivation. You will do well.

Jim

Anything worth doing is worth doing to excess.
Since you have to die anyway, you might as well die from something you like.
Jeff W9GY

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 09:02:53 AM »

Yeh, my two cents says upgrade as soon as you are able.  Then change calls at a later date when one to your liking becomes available.

Jeff  W9GY Calumet, Michigan
(Copper Country)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 10:22:28 AM »

W2LRX taken?  That's what the "Gar" did.  No upgrade required.

Also you might be looking at it somewhat backwards.  Most hams are aware of what an extra is now and what it took to get it years ago.  The code gap insures that it's a hot topic ad nasueum.  Fewer each year are aware of what an Advanced ticket means or meant.   Most all are aware of the add'l band segments awarded for Extra class.

Btw, your last class of license is listed in the FCC database, might even show up on qrz.com, so anyone looking you up will see you've been an Advanced even if Extra is the current status.  For example, I'm listed as Extra, previous license Advanced.

You've already made the leap to wanting your Extra, probably because of the non-emotional thought, "why should I not enjoy additional privileges simply because I want 'everyone' to know that I passed a 13 wpm code test."

Go for it.  Try for that call.  Apply for a reasonable alternative. Base your call on logic like you did for potential license upgrade, not emotions.  Grin

RICK  *W3RSW*
K9PNP

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 12:39:57 PM »

I tend to agree with those that say your call is like your name.  There is truth in that.  I have had mine since 1959 [KN9PNP in 1958].  Remember that there are things which will need to be changed if you change, such as call plates for your vehicle if you have them.

But, bottom line is to do whatever makes you happy.  And, go ahead and upgrade even if the call you want is not available.  You can always get it later.

73,  Mitch

Since 1958. There still is nothing like tubes to keep your coffee warm in the shack.

Vulcan Theory of Troubleshooting:  Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »

-Go ahead and upgrade.  You will be proud of the accomplishment and excited about the increase of your knowledge.   The additional privileges while small, often yield satisfying results.

-Wait on the callsign change since you are on the fence.  They are are so personal, like old comfortable sweaters.  No hurry.

After so many years of experience I think you will be surprised at how much of the material you have absorbed by osmosis!  Good luck.  bill

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 01:54:18 PM »

Another way to look at it...

The time difference between saying "K9PNP" and  "K9XX"  is only a second. But add this up over a lifetime on the air and you are saving MONTHS!   Grin Grin

The guys I feel sorry for are the ones with a "W" in their calls.  It's the only letter with three syllables.  My friend  Woody, WW1WW, has hell to pay every time he IDs.

Steve, K4HX knocked a big monkey off his back by shedding WB3HUZ.  But he will always be the HUZMAN to me none the less..

I look at a short callsign like having a short name. Convenience.    We can go through life as  Bartholomew Margapopolus or as Joe Rose.   Take your pick.

Just cuz the FCC randomly assigned us a bad call doesn't mean a lifetime of tears.   Wink  I have no emotional attachment to any call.  I'd swap my call for  K4HX, K1KW, K1KV or any other short call in a heartbeat. No big deal.   It's not the call, it's the personality behind it.  I don't think life would have been any different if Irb was W2VJZ  or W2VJ.

(Don't mind me - I'm just having some fun. It's my birthday today.)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »

I've held my call for over 50 years. Back in the 90's I had the thought to get a vanity call. Thank goodness it was only a short thought. While I'm alive, there will be only one WA2CWA. "W's" don't worry me; I can speak fast.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 05:02:17 PM »

I couldn't wait to dispense with my previous 2 calls.  The first was a CW nightmare and the 2nd a voice nightmare. My current one is a vanity and is my initials and fits well both with voice and CW. And like you, I was Advanced and jumped to Extra on a K1JJ  challenge a few years ago and I think it was this time of year to make the jump before the new year. Always wanted a W1 call and of course with my initials too.  One day yours truly callsign became available. The rest is history.

Happy B'day T.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 05:02:22 PM »

@K1JJ

Happy Birthday OM!
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »

Happy Birthday, Tom.   A quick glance at the calendar shows your age matches one of your favorite tubes!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
K9DXL

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »

He's 811? Shocked

Breathing solder fumes since 1959.  That explains a lot.
K2PG

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2013, 07:42:56 PM »

That is strictly a personal decision. My original callsign was WA2HMH, which was horrible on CW. When I became eligible for a 1 x 2 call in 1977, I jumped at the opportunity. At that time, the FCC required applicants to give them a list of callsigns that they wanted. The first available call was assigned. I applied for W2PG (which went to someone in Rochester), K2PG, W2XR, and a number of others. K2PG was the first one on my list that was available, so K2PG it was...and still is!

In 1977, I operated about 95% CW.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2013, 08:31:45 PM »

Yeah, happy birthday Tom, you ol' 4cx350.  Low in IM but high in calories. Eat your Wheaties to reduce that.

Pete, heard you on last night w/Glen in Altoona. I agree that we can breeze through those "W's."

It looks like we mostly all like our calls for several reasons. Mine is very rythmic on CW.
But I must admit; back when I was wa3ypi, I didn't mind hearing "yippee."
Regardless, even if I presently don't hold it, I doubt that there will ever be another "a3ypi."
So in a way it's still mine.

And it's a lot of fun to look back through several of my old heavy metal rally logs and see myself as the mighty W8R.   Ah, we can wish.

RICK  *W3RSW*
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2013, 09:55:53 PM »

It's a hard call.... (the decision that is, not the callsign).  How much history you have with the call will make a difference.

For instance, I got WA1QIX back in 1971 or thereabouts, when I was first licensed.  For a period of time, I had let it expire and could not request my old call back (the FCC did not do this for a number of years in there), so I was assigned KA1SI when I renewed.

Ok, I used KA1SI for perhaps 10 years, and then finally requested my old call back and that was a long time ago !!

Well, to this day, people *still* say - hey, you remind me of KA1SI or sometimes people will say "Hey, there was a guy - KA1SI way back when who was also running pulse width modulation"....  things like that, so I tell them the whole story, etc.

If you have a lot of history with your call, particularly if you work a lot of stations far away and maybe only talk with them occasionally, people may not know who you are....

That being said, there are a couple of calls that, if I could get them, might warrant changing from WA1QIX.  Not that QIX is some wonderful call, it's just that a whole lot of people know it.  But, like almost everything in life, every call has it's "price", so to speak.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2013, 11:58:17 PM »

Happy B D  Tom!  Just made in under the wire,  it is almost tomorrow.   73  GL  Vic
KA2DZT

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2013, 04:43:48 AM »

Happy B D  Tom!  Just made in under the wire,  it is almost tomorrow.   73  GL  Vic

There is a three day grace period.  I can wait all the way to Wednesday to wish Tom Happy BD, if I don't forget.  If I forget, then Tom will be SOL and will have to wait until next year.

Tom, I hope I don't forget.

Fred
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 12:39:54 PM »

But anyway, I'm toying with the idea of changing my call there's a really cool 1x2 call I think is available that I want. I won't disclose what it is until I either get it or lose it.

If you're looking for attention, W2VJZ is still available  Tongue

--- Post No Bills ---
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 04:09:56 PM »

No!

W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2013, 04:33:08 PM »

Your question is like asking what names to give your kids!  Its a personal decision and everyone looks at it slightly differently.  Do what you feel like and go with it.  Or should we start "dial a call"? 

Yes, Tom Happy BD to you and build that latest rig your contemplating.  Put a steak in the ground and go with something!!   

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W3FJJ
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2013, 04:33:26 PM »

One thing you might want to do,  before you pick a call,
is research who had it before, while most hams are great
guys, you might wind up with one that has a bad reputation, and
get mistaken on the bands for an "A" hole.. I have heard of this happening..

GL, Chuck
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015