The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 06:44:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 [11]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Happened To Da Bacon?  (Read 170240 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #250 on: September 21, 2014, 11:04:27 PM »

Oh foobar!

Frank, whew... Don't know if it matters to say it or not, but truly I always enjoyed listening to QSOs when you were on board, and dug working you and being part of ur group down the other end of 75m every once in a while. Good stuff. Wish I could have gotten free for one of your get togethers, but I guess that's what lots of people say.

Wish there was something else I could say that would make any difference.

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #251 on: September 27, 2014, 01:25:28 AM »

For all of you that have been following my plight............
Once again thank you all so much for your kindness and support, it is truely appreciated!

Since coming home from Hopkins about a month ago, I have developed a fluid build up problem in my abdomen. (This is common with advanced liver disease) When it starts to get bad, the bloating makes it difficult to eat, then it becomes difficult to breathe, then It feels like I'm suffocating. This really sucks! This was requiring at least 1 trip a week to the hospital to get "tappeed". Each time I  was tapped they drained right around 8 liters of fluid from me! Now being basically housebound, these trips in to be tapped were a major pain in my ass. Not to mention that every weekend I would sweat bullets that it wouldn't hit "critical mass" and require 8 hours of misery in the emergency room!

This past wednesday I elected to go in and have a permanent drain put in my side so I can drain myself at home! The benefits far outweighed the risks and has already improved my quality of life. When I came home from Hopkins a month ago, they gave me 2 weeks, a month later I am still doing well and am not ready to throw in the towel yet!

My home hospice care people have been wonderful in taking care of me!

Frank

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #252 on: September 27, 2014, 08:50:49 AM »

God bless you Frank, you're one hell of a fighter. Glad to see your spirits are still high. I''m sure there are plenty of lows as well, but you're living the best you can under the circumstances. Prove those Doctors wrong..

Take care,
YellRX

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
KA2DZT

« Reply #253 on: September 27, 2014, 09:06:58 AM »

Frank,

Thanks for letting us know how you're doing.  You're in my thoughts everyday and we are all prayer for you.

Fred
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #254 on: September 27, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »

Great to hear from you Frank and you keep kickin butt!

Good move on the tap, as it seems to improve your comfort level. Hospice people are a spacial breed of person, that's for sure.

The two Vikings I bought from you are both alive and well, but not in my shack. One ended up several years ago with KB1IAW Paul in Maine ant the other is with Rob W1AEX in CT. Both of them happily in use.

Glad to hear from you my friend and my best to your bride!

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #255 on: September 27, 2014, 03:46:49 PM »

One thing I forgot to put in the last post is a very special Thank you to W3JN for his tireless efforts to liquidate my collection of junque!

A very special thank you to Johnny as I cant say thank you enough! ! ! ! !!

Frank

KA0HCP
Contributing

« Reply #256 on: September 27, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »

To paraphrase:  "A friend will help you move.  A good ham friend will move your Boat Anchors!"

Smiley

New callsign KA0HCP, ex-KB4QAA.  Relocated to Kansas in April 2019.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #257 on: October 17, 2014, 01:35:29 AM »

To all of youse guys that have been following my plight, I guess it's time for another update. (God bless you all!)

Thanks to all of the fantastic care that I am getting from Gilchrist Home Hospice services and my worked to death wife, I am actually doing quite well for all that I have on  my plate. The care from Gilchrist is nothing short of utterly fantastic! They are ALL warm, caring, genuine, and patient with me.

I am still totally, housebound, weak, and battling with the fatigue that comes from advanced liver disease and some of my meds and pain killers. (When the cancer migrated into my spine, that was the crippling blow.) Also the extreme dizzyness caused by some of the meds and painkillers. (Like a good dose of the bedspins one sometimes gets after a good night of drinking)

All things considered, for all that I have on my plate, the Hospice nurse and doctor said that I am "stable" and not deteriorating at any rapid rate. I still have a good appetite and a voracious appetite for really good or exotic food! As a matter of fact, I have put together  "bucket list" of things that I want to eat/taste before I die! This is driving my poor wife nuts! ! ! Unfortunately, due to the fatigue, I am no longer able to cook them myself. (can anyone say crawfish boil  Wink Wink Wink  )   

Yes, I still have my dry and somewhat twisted sense of humor! When you lose your sense of humor, you might as well just give up!

I get tons of visitors and well-wishing phone calls, sometimes to the point of getting a bit hectic. But.......... I treasure every second of it more than words can express, and will take all that I can get! So, if anyone wants to stop by or call, I more than welcome it! It really helps the days go by. It also has put me in  state of mind that I now don't give much (if any) thought to my impending doom, dramatically improving my "quality of life".

God bless all of you that have cared about me and followed me through my plight, God bless you all.

Frank   (sometimes called the Slab Bacon...... )

SM6OID

« Reply #258 on: October 17, 2014, 03:55:05 AM »

Frank, nice to hear from you!
I'm not sure is this will match your specs to be put up on the list, but here it comes...

Swedish meatballs, mashed potatoes with a nice brown sauce with cream.
Suggested liquid is a nice cool lager.

Can tell you that last November I was in China (work) for almost a month, they have lots of very nice stuff there that can be put in to the mouth and swallowed.  Well, honestly there a few things that I wouldn't even try to eat.

Frank, May the force be with you! (I'm watching Star Wars together with my sons...)
And remember... No is not an answer, Failure is not an option!

I was taught this at an age of 4, I can clearly remember the exact event. I was "helping" my grandfather to repair my bicycle, a flat tire. My first!
Repairing a puncture is not easy for a 4 year old, so after a while there were probably too many NO and so on from my side. My grandfather told me that if I want to use the bicycle again I have to try harder, with the help from him of course.

Take Care!
/Morgan   

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #259 on: October 17, 2014, 08:37:05 AM »

Frank, I'm glad your getting lots of calls and visitors. From all over the Whirl too.
 Imagine that !  

I wish you and Carol the absolute very best. You are certainly the standard candle when it comes to keeping a stiff upper lip along with your finely tuned, acerbic sense of humor.

Sharp of eye,
  Quick of wit.
Ol' Man Frank
  Just Won't quit!

So 'AHE
 " Don't " mean ache,
Frank 'n Carol
  Have what it takes.

Isn't it wonderful that we can all be together here through the marvel of this technology. I'm sure many of us think the same and would dearly like to be with you Right Now.

* image.jpg (260.39 KB, 960x720 - viewed 879 times.)

* image.jpg (151.91 KB, 720x720 - viewed 876 times.)

* image.jpg (257.26 KB, 960x720 - viewed 869 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #260 on: October 17, 2014, 09:50:19 AM »

Frank,

So very great to hear from you, and glad that your appetite is hearty. Enjoy every taste, every moment and know that those of us who cannot be there- you live so darn far away- are with you in spirit.

Your HX-50 will have a good home next to the HQ-170 VHF I have. They should look real sharp next too each other. Now to embark on getting it on 160. I tried to call Hammarlund to order the conversion kit, but no one answered the phone. Their customer service seems to have gone all to heck.

Enjoy the food and times and again it is wonderful to hear from you and that you are making the most of life.....

CU agn

Carl
/KPD

* images.jpg (16.17 KB, 259x194 - viewed 855 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W2JRO

« Reply #261 on: October 17, 2014, 12:34:05 PM »

Keep on enjoying life as much as possible, Frank...

Tell the reaper to take a powder... Grin

Jeff
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #262 on: October 17, 2014, 06:44:50 PM »

Nice to hear from you Frank.

I like my hash browns crispy with runny/over medium egg yolks dribbled all over them right before taking them off the griddle. Ever try that?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #263 on: October 17, 2014, 10:04:21 PM »

I was honored to have the Sicilian pasta dish Aglio e Olio with Frank, Carol and Johnny-W3JN are few weekends ago. It's amazing how fresh sliced garlic sautéed with olive oil over pasta can taste sooooo good. Maybe next time we'll have some pickled eggplant.
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #264 on: October 17, 2014, 11:57:29 PM »

Browned butter,  over fettuccine,  with mazithra cheese.

One of my all time favorite,  for sure.

--Shane
KD6VXI
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #265 on: October 18, 2014, 12:01:17 PM »

Frank, The Lord is giving you some extra days/weeks/months/ or years??
Enjoy whatever is here and we'll cheer you along on your journey.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #266 on: October 18, 2014, 12:08:40 PM »

Frank, The Lord is giving you some extra days/weeks/months/ or years??
Enjoy whatever is here and we'll cheer you along on your journey.

Fred

I think he might be worried that Frank is going to show up and start kicking butt and taking names.......

Carl

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #267 on: October 29, 2014, 09:08:28 AM »

Hello All,
           I received a call from Frank's wife Carol early this morning and was told that Frank has been going downhill very fast. He may not be concious of where he is or what is going on. His bodily functions have begun to shut down and it doesn't look very promising. If I hear of anything good or bad I'll be sure to post it on this board to let everyone know what is going on.

For the record, Frank is still with us, we're not sure for how long. It looks as if this may be the end of the line for him. He really needs our prayers right now!

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #268 on: October 29, 2014, 03:35:19 PM »

Hello All,
           This message comes with heartfelt sorrow. I just spoke to Carol, the XYL of Frank Esposito KB3AHE and she informed me that he quietly passed away this afternoon.  Please pray for both Frank and Carol.

Thank you.

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W2JRO

« Reply #269 on: October 29, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »

God bless Frank and his family.

It sounds like he was visited by friends and family quite a bit over the past month or so.
I hope there were many laughs and good time shared by all. You could see in his posts he had come to terms with his fate.
I hope that allowed him to really enjoy the time he had, even though it was too short.
KA2DZT

« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2014, 04:40:21 PM »

Joe,

Thanks for letting us know.

News we all knew was coming, just hoped it wouldn't be anytime soon.

RIP Frank,  you'll be missed

Fred
KA2DZT
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #271 on: October 30, 2014, 12:15:02 AM »

RIP Frank.  Although I never worked you or met  you in person, you have made a very positive impression on me here on AMFONE.NET.  You are obviously well loved and will be missed by many.  Prayers to the family.
John

AMI#1684
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #272 on: November 02, 2014, 01:42:46 AM »

Hello All,
           I have the following information for anyone who wants to attend the Memorial Service for Frank Esposito,KB3AHE.

Date: Saturday November 15

Time: 11:00AM

Place: The "Prince of Peace" Lutheran Church, Philadelphia Rd. Rosedale,Md. 21237

Please note that this will be a Memorial Service for Frank. Plans are currently being made for a possible celebration of his life and I will post that information, place,date,time, etc. when that information becomes available to me.

Thank you,
               Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Pages: 1 ... 10 [11]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015