The AM Forum
March 28, 2024, 05:33:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Happened To Da Bacon?  (Read 170239 times)
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #225 on: September 07, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »

I just got off the phone with Frank.  He was kind of busy getting ready for some visitors and such so we did not talk long.  He sounded very good on the phone and was proceeding with what he needed to get done. 

As you all know, Frank is a very strong person and its sure comes through when you have a tough situation to deal with. 

Joe, W3GMS 

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #226 on: September 07, 2014, 02:21:58 PM »

Cry

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
Burt
« Reply #227 on: September 07, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »

I just got off the phone with Frank.  He was kind of busy getting ready for some visitors and such so we did not talk long.  He sounded very good on the phone and was proceeding with what he needed to get done. 

As you all know, Frank is a very strong person and its sure comes through when you have a tough situation to deal with. 

Joe, W3GMS 
I don't know Frank but I could never be as brave as he is. We all too frequently give out the term "hero", but here is one man who has EARNED it.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2014, 02:34:08 PM »

Thank you for the update Joe. Frank is definitely a strong guy and with Carol at his side he is going to make the best of it.

God bless them both.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2014, 07:20:58 PM »

Frank is definitely a strong guy and with Carol at his side he is going to make the best of it.

God bless them both.

Amen

Bill KA8WTK
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2014, 12:30:22 AM »

I guess it's time for another post..........

After 3 trips back to the hospital to get the fluid drained from my abdomen. I now have  to lave it done about every 4 or 5 days.
They usually remove just over 2 gallons! This will be "routine maintenance" for the rest of my limited days. The fluid makes it extremely difficult to breathe.

I am now totally housebound with trips to the hospital being a major production and leaving me totally spent. I get around the house OK with a walker but they are a major effort, so I'm usually in my "lift chair" recliner. I still welcome (treasure) company, visitors and phone calls!

All of the signs say that the end isn't too far off, but I'll keep fighting as long as I'm able

Many, many Thanks to all of you for prayers and support through these tough times! God bless all of you.
I'll try to keep posting updates as long as I can.

Frank

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
SM6OID

« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2014, 09:03:45 AM »

Frank, since I joined AMfone some 4 years ago, your posts here has given me a lot of nice to know, need to know and "other knowledge". Just want to say thanks! It's a pity that you will stop posting stuff here.
But, your posts will be a valuable source of knowledge for many years to come.
I just feel that this is something I had to say.

Frank, you are in my thoughts now and in the future!

Take Care!
/Morgan

RADIO: 51J-4, R-390A, SP-600 JX-21, BRT-400, Set No 19, T-47/ART-13, RF-590, SRT CR91, BC-312D, BC-348Q, HF-8020/8030/8010A/8090,  and much more...

ENGINE: Zvezda M50 F6L (V12), Rolls-Royce Meteor mk4B/2 (V12), Rolls-Royce B80 (inline 8 ) and much more
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2014, 10:03:48 AM »

Ah Frank, wish I was closer and circumstances different but I sure wish you and Carol the very best.  If you can, go out and fire up one of the horizontals. Make noise and tell 'em like it is!

Yeah, that's the stuff!
I can hear you all the way over here on this side of the mountains.

RICK  *W3RSW*
W1ITT

« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2014, 12:20:22 PM »

Although I have no reason to suspect that my rendezvous with eternity is any closer than decades away, I have decided that I want to die in my own home.  Frank is to be commended for having the foresight and the tenacity to have thought about this, and to fight the overwhelming tendency of the medical profession to monopolize our last days and hours in an institutional setting.  He is also fortunate to have a cherished partner in Carol who is advocating for him and, no doubt, doing a lot of the heavy lifting to keep him at home.
The rest of youse guys need to think on this lesson because, sooner or later, we are all headed for the other side of the ionosphere, and we need to take control of our affairs and make our desires known before some stranger starts making our decisions for us.  Talk to your peeps, and write things down.  Even get things witnessed and notarized so that your peeps can make your wishes known in the event that you can't.
KD0HUX

« Reply #234 on: September 18, 2014, 07:51:20 PM »

Although I have no reason to suspect that my rendezvous with eternity is any closer than decades away, I have decided that I want to die in my own home.  Frank is to be commended for having the foresight and the tenacity to have thought about this, and to fight the overwhelming tendency of the medical profession to monopolize our last days and hours in an institutional setting.  He is also fortunate to have a cherished partner in Carol who is advocating for him and, no doubt, doing a lot of the heavy lifting to keep him at home.
The rest of youse guys need to think on this lesson because, sooner or later, we are all headed for the other side of the ionosphere, and we need to take control of our affairs and make our desires known before some stranger starts making our decisions for us.  Talk to your peeps, and write things down.  Even get things witnessed and notarized so that your peeps can make your wishes known in the event that you can't.

I ADGREE 100%
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #235 on: September 18, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »

Good luck,  and glad your home.

To hell with all the doctors.   Enjoy the last bit,  you've earned it.

Fire up the transmitter,  if you can,  for a good hoo rah.   Might be the last,  might not.   Who cars.   As the race drivers say,  run it like you stole it.   Big carrier,  big peaks.

My mom was given 20 percent chance of a year.   We planted her (her words)  5 years later.

Stay as active as is comfortable,  within reason.   Do the things go you AND Carol enjoy,  then have some fun on the transmitter.

Hope to work you.

--Shane
KD6VXI
Left Coast
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #236 on: September 18, 2014, 09:39:48 PM »

Hey Frank!
So very happy to hear you are home and up to posting. You have stayed true to yourself.
Know that you and Carol are getting lots of positive thoughts from a good many people. Keep that "bacon shakin" for us!
Carl
WA1KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2014, 01:09:17 AM »

All the best and good thoughts Frank!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #238 on: September 19, 2014, 03:59:15 AM »

I had a nice phone conversation with Frank this morning before the nurses moved in and ended it. Sad

We talked about many subjects, and he sounded just fine through it all. Cool

Kudos to a kind, funny, learned, and all-around great guy!

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #239 on: September 19, 2014, 05:15:43 AM »

Every year at the end of August I remember back to the wonderful times Cynthia and I used to enjoy attending the Far-Fest at Gaithersburg MD.  I still miss that fester.  What a wonderful gang of miscreants and other fine folks.  We have tried to reproduce that wonderful Far-Fest experience at NEAR-Fest with some success but we can't replicate the commuter rail trains going through the fairgrounds at all hours of the day and night.  

I am so sorry Frank and Carol that you were never able to join us at Deerfield.  You would fit right in.

Words fail me, Frank.  I don't know what to say.  I am sorry I didn't travel down to MD after Gaithersburg went away.  Thanks for the numerous invites to your infamous post-Timonium cookouts and I am sorry I never took you up on it.

I am sorry for the lousy hand you were dealt.....but you are a tough old bird with a strong-ass spirit and ready for what comes next.  Just reading this thread indicates there are a helluva lot of people who care about you and Carol.

Cynthia and I send you both our warmest wishes and our thoughts are with you and Carol.

MisterMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #240 on: September 19, 2014, 05:24:09 AM »

Although I have no reason to suspect that my rendezvous with eternity is any closer than decades away, I have decided that I want to die in my own home.  Frank is to be commended for having the foresight and the tenacity to have thought about this, and to fight the overwhelming tendency of the medical profession to monopolize our last days and hours in an institutional setting.  He is also fortunate to have a cherished partner in Carol who is advocating for him and, no doubt, doing a lot of the heavy lifting to keep him at home.
The rest of youse guys need to think on this lesson because, sooner or later, we are all headed for the other side of the ionosphere, and we need to take control of our affairs and make our desires known before some stranger starts making our decisions for us.  Talk to your peeps, and write things down.  Even get things witnessed and notarized so that your peeps can make your wishes known in the event that you can't.

There's a lot of wisdom in Norm's words guys.......make your wishes known and in writing, notarized, sworn and legal.  Otherwise your wishes may not be the way it happens. 

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #241 on: September 19, 2014, 06:37:51 PM »

For those of  you following my story.....

Had to get the fluid drained out of my abdomen again this morning. With the frequency of needing this now every 3-4 days, I have elected to have a permanent drain/catheter put into my abdomen so I can do this at home as needed. This comes with a certain amount of risk, but I feel the benefits far outweigh the risks.

The biggest risk is infection, as it would go right into my abdominal cavity and kill me very quickly. (big deal....) and I might die on the table from the general anesthetic.

The biggest gain is that I wont have anymore night time crises where I fill up with fluid and am struggling to breathe and can't eat because my belly is full of fluid. (I still love eating)  I will be able to drain myself at home as needed, thus improving my quality of life. (I look forward to this!)

I am scheduled for this procedure on this this coming wednesday.  If all goes well, I will will post another update shortly after.

Thank you all so much  for all of your support! God bless you all!

Frank

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #242 on: September 20, 2014, 09:20:54 AM »

Ok Frank,
Follow the instructions closely for your procedure of draining so there aren't anymore bumps in the road.
I too, missed those crazy times at the Gaithersburg Fester. A nice way to end the summer and see good ole friends and the wonderful food. I burn out too quick to be an all nighter type but, I remember hearing the bands, 75M mostly, active with exchanges as the other operators kept the transmitter running all night long.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
n3lrx
Yellrx Radio
Contributing

« Reply #243 on: September 20, 2014, 11:01:04 AM »

Yeah, I miss the G'burg fester too. That was a lot of fun. I remember when Ed, N3LHB brought his T-368 to one event and they were yakking away on 75m, I looked that the transmitter and caught smoke coming out of it. I pointed at the transmitter and said ED SMOKE! So Ed tried to pass me his cigarettes, I said no the transmitter is smoking!.  The linkage in the air cap was the problem they got it fixed and back on the air within minutes. Good group of geniuses in their own right.

Frank, good to hear you're back home again. I'll give you a shout on the old yellafone this week. God Bless.

Randy, N3LRX (Yellrx)
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #244 on: September 20, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »

Sadly, I'm helping Frank sell off his stash of equipment and parts.  See http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=36996.0

I had the honor of visiting with him and Carol for some time today, and he's doing quite well, considering.  I'm just extremely honored to have known Frank and for him to consider me a good friend.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #245 on: September 20, 2014, 06:46:37 PM »

Sadly, I'm helping Frank sell off his stash of equipment and parts.  See http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=36996.0

I had the honor of visiting with him and Carol for some time today, and he's doing quite well, considering.  I'm just extremely honored to have known Frank and for him to consider me a good friend.

Thanks for helping Frank Johnny.  Somebody needs to do it and I can't think of a better person to assist. 

Martha and I are planning a visit down to see him and Carol, but we just don't know the date yet. 

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
KA3VID
Contributing

« Reply #246 on: September 21, 2014, 08:45:06 AM »

Hey Frank keep up the good fight and the good spirit my friend !
Always have you in our thoughts and prayers,will give you a holler on the telephonium.
All The Best to you and Carol my brother Cheesy
Billy
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2014, 12:23:52 PM »

Frank,

It's sad to finally arrive at the point where we've done everything we can, but it's still not enough for a full recovery.  

I can understand  the fluid build-up problem you have. Years ago we took care of my aunt thru hospice and she had the same thing. Glad you found a way to drain it at home. Good going.

It's been a great run and you continue to be an  important contributor to the folklore of our AM hobby niche.

Keep the updates here as long as you can.... and  keep up the good fight.  

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KC2TAU

« Reply #248 on: September 21, 2014, 06:53:18 PM »

Frank,

I wish you only the best in peace and contentment. I agree with Shane, fire up the transmitter and let the positive peaks fly!
KD5TXX

« Reply #249 on: September 21, 2014, 09:58:02 PM »

You and your family are in my prayers.  Thanks for helping me out with radio problems.  Get back on the air.
Pages: 1 ... 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015