The AM Forum
March 29, 2024, 04:15:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What Happened To Da Bacon?  (Read 170256 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2014, 08:48:05 AM »

Speaking of surgery,  it amazes me how lightly some guys on skateboards and extreme snowboarding value their safety.  (and doing flips off roofs)

One bad fall and we're in agony - pain for the next few weeks and hobbling around for months. Breaking bones is definitely an extreme sport... Wink

* For fun think I'll go luging down the street tonight in the blizzard, just missing the snow trucks,  caw mawn.

T
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgXRP3wwloc

Young folks are invincible and kids are built to fall down and get right back up........nothing hurt

Fred KC4MOP
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2014, 08:52:55 AM »

FRANK \
Thanks for the updates. I know it is not easy to get in here and reply and deal with life right now..
Just a day at a time
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2014, 12:46:55 PM »

Got last "treatment" last thursday afternoon. They told me that it would be a little "different" and it was......... This time I had some nausea for the first few days after, not real hard core, but best described as maybe a "queasy stomach". But the meds they gave me prety much killed that.(I was actually able to eat by the 3rd day!) By today I feel pretty good again, and have the appetite of a friggin horse!

This time was, by far better than the first round. The fatigue is pretty much gone, and I actually feel quite "human" again...... All I can figger is that since this was a smaller tumor, they gave me less chemo juice to treat it. the first tumor was about the size of a ping-pong ball, and this one was about the size of a grape. Now, comes the waiting game. I won't know how sucessful the "treatment" was for 3 weeks to a month, until they call me in for follow up bloodwork and another MRI.

Thanks again, guys for all of the support, it really does help one get through these rough times! ! ! ! !

Frank

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »

Frank,

Lets hope that "Bambi Bat" they used squash the tumor is like a bug being smashed!  GONE......

I know you will continue to be positive and based on how well you have done so far, I am sure this latest treatment will be a success. 

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2014, 06:29:09 AM »

Frank
It's amazing what we have to deal with do overcome cancer. My last two visits for "the cocktail", I was leaving the clinic sick. Flu-like feeling for about a week and then bounce back.....just a little.
It actually took two years for me to feel "normal". To have dreams and a little action in bed. Chemo wrecks you down to your soul.
Just keep getting back up Frank
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »

It actually took two years for me to feel "normal". To have dreams and a little action in bed.

Yabba Dabba Do !

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #106 on: January 31, 2014, 02:32:30 AM »

I get knocked down, but I get up again. You're never gonna keep me down

I get knocked down, but I get up again. You're never gonna keep me down

a little bit of Tubthumping there for Mr Frank's good health going forward.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #107 on: January 31, 2014, 12:46:13 PM »

Good news is hard to come by these days, so it's always good to gear. Ya just can't keep a good ham down, he just gets up and spits RF in the devil's eye. Eh, keep the cat, I don't want one that bites.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #108 on: February 02, 2014, 06:41:41 PM »

Frank,

When I got zapped with heavy duty chemo back in 2003 at Dana Farber after being diagnosed with leukemia, they managed the nausea so well that I never even blew chunks once. That Nexium stuff and other anti-nausea drugs worked. At the worst they almost had to put me on a breathing tube, but I made it through that bad night with the oxygen at full blast with a mask taped to me.

Keep fighting hard. I really hope the best for you. Hey I came out the other side. They don't even follow me any more. They call it a cure. Rare words for cancer.

Mike

These are the good old days of AM
KA2DZT

« Reply #109 on: February 03, 2014, 03:46:57 AM »

Some weed works great for the effects of chemo.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2014, 02:09:14 AM »

Hi guys,
           I guess it's time for an update......... 

I went in for the "deep throat job" 2 1/2 weeks ago and got 6 more rubber bands put in my esophagus. (Upper endoscopy / EGD with banding) to treat my esophageal varices. (Esophageal Varices is a by product of liver disease) This now makes 69 rubber bands than have been put in my esophagus. I now hold Johns Hopkins record for the most bands! This usually leaves me kinda nauseated and sick for a few days.  Then..............

Went in for follow up this past tuesday for the liver cancer and got mixed news. the "targeted" tumors are dead and basically necrosis / scar tissue. But.......
My AFP protien levels (cancer marker in my bloodwork) Have risen back up from 259 (after the first "treatment") to just over 500. Now, keep in mind that they were over 1800 before the first treatment, and 259 after. I was expecting them to be near nill, bit lady luck wasn't riding on my shoulder that day.

The rise in the AFP level and confirmed by the MRI that I have 2 more tumors to deal with. (I was hoping for a couple month reprieve) According to my Interventional Radiologist, my cancer is responding well to the treatments, and they seem to think they might be able to get both of them in one shot. (I hope)
so I'm scheduled tor another "treatment" on the 31st of this month. One is about the size of a grape and the other a raisin.

The fatigue levels and my total intollerance to the cold are taking their toll on me. (caused by the chemo) But, something in my bones is trying to tell me that this will be "routine maintenance" until I get a new liver. They have told me that my type of cirrhosis is "a fertile field for these things to grow in."

This whole cancer thing is a definite emotional roller coaster with mixed feelings, and both good days and bad days. Sometimes it can really emotionally take it's toll on you! !

Between The physical symptoms, the fatigue, Losing my job because of it, and getting swallowed alive with hospital bills not covered by the insurance company, running out of money (I haven't had an income since December), it starts to leave you with a feeling of worthlessness. Especially when you are no longer able to provide for your family.

Between the fatigue and the depression, I just haven't felt like doing much of anything lately. It has it's moments, and sometimes it gets the best of you.

I am damned and determined to fight this thing till the bitter end, whatever that may be! I have absolutely no plans of giving up! It just has it's "moments".

"You can stand me up at the gates of Hell and I won't back down! ! "

Thank you all very very much for all of your care and encouragement! I will pop in here from time to time to let everyone what's going on.

I can't thank you all enough!

Frank

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »

Hang in there Frank- You have many many friends and people who are thinking, praying, performing unique pagan rituals and everything else for you. If da Bacon can't make it then no one can. I don't think Mr Cancer thought about who he was taking on and it is evident by the way you are beating him back. He may have come back for one last punch but he is clearly weakened by the numbers and in his heart he knows he is toast.

5 years ago my sister was diagnosed with a very deadly and rare form of cancer. Odds were not in her favor. She spent a year, yes a year in Temple in Phil, Fox Chase Cancer Center, undergoing every procedure imaginable including removal of her spinal fluid. This fall she has her 5th year full body MRI and if it is clear, then she has made the statistical bench mark.

Things will turn around on all fronts with time. You have enough talents so that when the time is right you will find employment.
Keep yourself chillin, accept the depression as a natural reaction to an extraordinarily confluence of circumstances and know that better times are coming.
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #112 on: March 16, 2014, 12:11:17 PM »

Thanks for the update OM. It has been a long haul and it's hard for most of us to imagine what you are going through. Hang in there.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #113 on: March 16, 2014, 05:57:34 PM »

Yeah man, hang in there Francois. 

Enjoyed hearing your melodious tones y'day evening on WFDN with your 3733 progress report.   As I mentioned on the air, the reason you took the door down from the radio room was so that all your pals could crowd in an give you beau coups of encouragement.

And your right. Those that haven't gone through it are not aware of a whole mess of things, but we're all pulling for you.

RICK  *W3RSW*
N5RLR
Extra With A Side Of Fries

Supremely Lurking

« Reply #114 on: March 16, 2014, 10:33:22 PM »

Prayers up for you, Frank. Wink

Michael

Licensed Since 1990  Cheesy
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #115 on: March 16, 2014, 10:38:35 PM »

We continue to wish you the best, Frank.  It's not easy to keep up the good fight when they keep beating us up. You are a brave man.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #116 on: March 16, 2014, 11:22:13 PM »

Bacon,

I have read almost every post you have written for many years, and that goes back to NFB from modulator tube screen dropping resistors in the AM Press Exchange days. I always look forward to another update on your fight against the evil ca.

As far as the finances go, look at some of the Dave Ramsey material concerning medical bills, cancer, etc. Here is one that might come close to your situation:

http://www.daveramsey.com/index.cfm?event=askdave/&intContentItemId=122445

The original audio replay is there at the bottom.

Also, don't be too proud to avoid passing the hat. If things get dire, Paypal can help..All we need is an email address. It has been done before here in the QSO section. A small modest amount from many in a large group can become enough to help out.

All the Best,
Jim
Wd5JKO
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #117 on: March 17, 2014, 02:46:33 PM »

Hi Frank,

Well it was good to get an update.  Just the day before you sent it out, I said to Martha "I wonder how Frank is doing" since I had not gotten an update in some time. 

Having never been through such an experience I can't directly know what your going through, but hear what your saying with full strap!   The only thing that goes through my mind after reading your post is to dwell on the good part of what is happening.  As you said, some good and not so good.  I know it must be tough to keep upbeat about this, but if anyone can do it, you can do it Frank.  Just one step at a time until you beat it.  My guess is that when you get on the air and chat with some friends, it helps.  So I encourage you to force yourself to do that since it helps. 

Your in our thoughts and prayers and give it hell OM ;-)

Joe, GMS       

Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #118 on: March 17, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »

Also, don't be too proud to avoid passing the hat. If things get dire, Paypal can help..All we need is an email address. It has been done before here in the QSO section. A small modest amount from many in a large group can become enough to help out.

All the Best,
Jim
Wd5JKO

Excellent idea.Its not a handout, its simply late payment for consultation fees on radios.....Smiley
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #119 on: March 17, 2014, 10:22:45 PM »

All the Best,
Jim
Wd5JKO

Excellent idea.Its not a handout, its simply late payment for consultation fees on radios.....Smiley
Carl
/KPD

Count me in. 

Joe, GMS

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2014, 10:09:44 PM »

All the Best,
Jim
Wd5JKO

Carl
/KPD

Count me in. 

Joe, GMS

What they said...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2014, 01:50:21 AM »

Hi Guys,
           Just had another round of chemo this past monday (3/31) This was a rough one, I barely made it out of the horsepistol, and am still looking for the truck that ran me over! ! ! ! ! This one was the worst so far!. it knocked me six ways from sunday!

My "targeted" chemo treatments are supposed to have minimal side effects, well someone should have told the chemo juice that! I got the "treatment" somewhere right around 4:30 monday afternoon. By the time I got put in a room it hadn't hit me full blast yet and I didn't feel too awfully bad, but........

I passed out and woke up somewhere around 4:00 am. By then it had hit me full blast. I was one sick MF! !   I HAVE NEVER BEEN THAT SICK IN MY LIFE! ! ! ! I was heaving my guts up (the only reason I didn't barf was that there was nothing inside to expel) and the pain was almost unbearable. I was pickled in both anti-nausea meds and IV pain killers. I have never been that sick in my life! !

The hospital didn't want to release me, but I was damned and determined I was going home that afternoon.
And 1 day was all that my crappy-assed insurance company was going to pay for. I just wanted to die, I felt so bad! But I wanted home. Reluctantly they released me. (pickled in anti nausea meds and oxycotin!) Just the bumps in the road were the shear limit of what I could stand.

When we got home It took both my wife and my neighbor to drag me up the front steps, and I made a B-line for the bed. My wife tucked me in and brought me the barf-bucket. I heaved and shivered myself to sleep.
All I did from tuesday afternoon till saturday morning was sleep! The sickness had somewhat subsided by friday night and I just couldn't sleep anymore.

By friday night My wife forced me to try to eat a little light food. I was amazed, but it stayed in and actually seemed to lessen the pain a little bit. Now, keep in mind that I have eaten absolutely nothing since the previous sunday afternoon! I only even drank enough water to get the meds in me!  After eating the first bits and feeling a little better I ate a little more. It all stayed down, so saturday (and today), I started cramming it in trying to get my strength back. (and the plumbing working as well). I actually feel 100% better today other than the extreme fatigue (which I know will take a few weeks to get over). I have stopped all of the anti-nausea and pain meds as of today.

So far this round was the worst yet. But I'm now starting to feel a tiny bit better each day, although I know the fatigue will be around for a while to come. I can deal with that a whole lot better if there is no sickness.

Both my wife and myself, our thanks and our love goes out to all of you that have been pulling for me! ! !
I just can't say it enough! God Bless you all!

I Have developed a special compassion for any and all cancer patients out there! Anyone ho has had to go through round after round of radiation and chemo. ( like Derb) My love and prayers go out to all of you!

The next follow up will prolly be in a few weeks. They like to give the chemo juice a chance to do it's thing before the next round of MRIs. I wait with baited breath! ! !  I'll let everyone know how that all plays out when it does.

Frank

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »

God Bless you and Carol too Frank.
Susan and I wish you the very best.
...no words.

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka4koe
Contributing

It's alive. IT'S ALIVE!!!

« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2014, 03:45:21 PM »

Frank,

Good luck. You are a better man than I. If I had to go through this, I'd probably opt for the 45ACP solution.

Philip

I'm outta control, plain and simple. Now I have a broadcast transmitter.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »

Well Frank as we discussed on the phone, you said the treatments are difficult.  At times its good one doesn't know how difficult its going to be.  Hang in and get on the feeling better side of things!   I never saw you back down from anything so just get these behind you.   Hopefully they can get things managed and you will get on the transplant list soon.   That's the upper rung on the ladder to jump for.   

Joe, GMS

Pages: 1 ... 4 [5] 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015