The AM Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:03:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorry To Report Bill, KD0HG, Became SK 11/12/12  (Read 24868 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: November 13, 2012, 07:22:13 PM »

Ray Osterwald, NØDMS, Electric Radio Magazine, just informed that Bill, KDØHG, passed away last night of a heart attack. Further details will be reported when known. I was shocked when Ray told me the news.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:25:37 PM »

say it ain't so. Holy cow!

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:35:34 PM »

I'm absolutely dumbfounded.  I remind myself on occasion that we all never know how much time we have left, but still when something like this happens, it is a shock.  I heard Bill putting out a CQ only a week or two ago and now silenced forever.  We have lost a Tall Ship.  My prayers for Bill and condolences to the XYL and family.

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:37:04 PM »

WHAT! This is sad news. Sometimes you just assume people will be around. Very sorry to hear about Bill's passing. Condolences to his family.
WQ9E

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 07:43:51 PM »

I always enjoy reading Bill's posts and even though I never met him in person I felt like I knew him.  This is very sad news and my condolences to his family and friends.  We lost a very good guy.

Rodger WQ9E
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 07:52:03 PM »

Good God! How can this all be happening?? Two active AMers in the last 24 hours?? Bill posted in the Westinghouse meters thread at 7:28 last night!

This is all so, so wrong. As Steve says, you just think these guys will always be around. Bill was very active and seemed healthy as a horse. Now he's gone? It's unbelievable.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »

This is quite shocking.

God bless Bill and his family.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:15:59 PM »

Sadly, the ranks are thinning Cry.

R.I.P., boys.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »

Sigh.... another tall ship gone.    So sorry to hear.  Bill was a classic AMer, a ham's ham.

It's amazing how these heart attacks and related cardio problems come out of the blue and kill seemingly healthy people.  Sometimes no warning at all.  Ain't fair.

RIP Bill.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »

I'm in shock.  Great guy and a standup moderator here on AMFone.net.  And always a great signal into Maryland.

We'll all miss his wit and wisdom  Cry

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2012, 09:21:02 PM »

That is absolutely unbelievable.  I will miss Bill - he was such a fixture from that part of the world.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 09:51:37 PM »

Yet another one we loose.  I had never met Bill, but was able to help him out by sending him a transmitting mica for one of his 304-TL home brew rigs maybe 6 months or so ago.  He kept trying to pay me for it and I kept saying no!  I won that exchange!!  Bill possessed great technical knowledge and with all of that knowledge never had to tell anyone how great he was.  The true greats don't and he was one of the true greats.  Others should learn from him.   

Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and his friends.

Joe, W3GMS   

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
Les Locklear

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 10:16:42 PM »

I was stunned to say the least. I had talked with Bill a few times on the telephone over the years. Not sure of his age, but I know that I'm several years older than him.

RIP old friend.

Les Locklear
Gulfport, Ms.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:13 PM »

Sorry to read about this. I always enjoyed his posts here. R.I.P. sir.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »

Very sad news, indeed. A complete shock, in fact.

I first became acquainted with Bill Kleronomos about 20 years ago when we were both writing for a now-defunct audio magazine (named Sound Practices) that largely catered to homebrewers and enthusiasts of exotic/high-end vacuum tube audio equipment. He was really a great guy, very knowlegeable about multiple subjects (electronics and otherwise), and completely unselfish. I will miss him very much.

My sympathies and prayers go out to Bill's family during what certainly is a most difficult time.

Sic transit gloria mundi. Thus passes the glory of the world, as another of our amateur radio brethren departs for a better place.

Rest in peace my friend, and 73.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 02:13:24 AM »

Here's a photo of Bill (left) with Rod, KQ6F taken at Colorado Rod, W5CZ's place a few years back. Photo is from Gary, K6GLH, who knew Bill from way back when.

Bill was a great guy. What a shock. What a loss.

* Bill and Rod.jpg (100.36 KB, 576x432 - viewed 624 times.)
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 09:37:07 AM »

I'm very shocked to hear of Bill's passing.  I always enjoyed his posts here and our conversations on the air.

Rest in Peace AM Friend!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »

I'm very sorry to hear of Bill passing.

Electric Radio magazine came in the mail yesterday. Under the Editor's Comments was a piece about the Heavy Metal Rally, and Bills involvement. Maybe we should make an extra effort to be involved this year.

klc

What? Me worry?
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2012, 10:20:10 AM »

Excellent idea.

What do you think about naming it the Bill Kleronomos Memorial AM Rally since he was a major driver behind it for many years?
W2ZE
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2012, 11:22:54 AM »

Very sad news indeed. I've known Bill for several years now, both professionally and personally. One heck of an engineer, and one heck of a great guy.

Shocked and stunned is an understatement Cry
WQ9E

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2012, 11:23:59 AM »

Excellent idea.

What do you think about naming it the Bill Kleronomos Memorial AM Rally since he was a major driver behind it for many years?

Steve,

I think that is very appropriate and a wonderful way to provide continued recognition of his importance to the event.

Rodger WQ9E
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »

" Bill Kleronomos Memorial AM Rally  "

It works for me.

On another note..... We've had a lot of 'well known' AMers pass on. Maybe we should plan some kind of activity on Memorial Day. ZedRF, the UAN, Derb,  Irb , etc; just a few I can remember.

klc

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2012, 12:29:20 PM »

I felt in a state of shock after hearing the news.  I have known Bill for at least 20 years and just talked to him a few nights ago, and e-mailed him regarding something I thought was wrong with his audio.  We worked again the next night, and although improved, I told him it still didn't quite sound right (difficult to understand what he said because the highs were missing).  We set up a sked for the following night on 3705, but he e-mailed me that he couldn't make it because of an unrelated crap-out, but planned to let me know as soon as he fixed it.  Never dreamt that I would never hear him on the air again.

RIP old friend.

I was stunned to say the least. I had talked with Bill a few times on the telephone over the years. Not sure of his age, but I know that I'm several years older than him.

None of us is guaranteed to-morrow.

On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness

The tusks which clashed in mighty brawls
Of mastodons, are billiard balls.
The sword of Charlemagne the Just
Is Ferric Oxide, known as rust.
The grizzly bear, whose potent hug,
Was feared by all, is now a rug.
Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf,
And I don't feel so well myself.

-Arthur Guiterman

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K6IC
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »

SHOCKING!!  Very sad to hear of Bill's passing.

Bill was a real gentleman.  Enjoyed reading his posts here,  and hearing his bodacious signal here in the West.

He kenw it all,   but was not a "know it all".

Best wishes to you Bill,  you will be missed,  thank you for all the good will and knowledge you left for us here.  Condolances to Bill's  family and all of his friends.

RIP,  Vic
W8VG

Eins, Zwei, Drei, Vier, Lets go have a beer!!!

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 01:16:42 PM »

So sorry to hear about Bill.  When I was back in VA, the band would sometimes go long early and all I could hear would be just noise.  Then this strapping signal would come booming in on 3885 and it would be him.  He will be missed.

Licensed in 1970, Terrace Park, Ohio
Formerly WN8HVG, WB8HVG, DA1EV, AA8PF
Colonel, Signal Corps, USA (Ret)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015