The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:22:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sorry To Report Bill, KD0HG, Became SK 11/12/12  (Read 24809 times)
k7yoo

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 02:16:40 PM »

I too am truly shocked. We had been friends since first lighting the AM filaments
back in the 80's. Our group has been made poorer by his absence.

Skip
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 04:50:31 PM »

WOW.. 
Steve W8TOW

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 06:55:39 PM »

Tough pill to swallow. Like many, I enjoyed the QSO's over the years. I remember
when Bill welcomed me back into AM in 1997 after a good 15 years...we picked up
right where we left. Will miss ya OM, vri
Steve w8tow

Always buiilding & fixing stuff. Current station is a "Old Buzzard" KW, running a pair of Taylor T-200's modulated by Taylor 203Z's; Johnson 500 / SX-101A; Globe King 400B / BC-1004; and Finally, BC-610 with SX28  CU 160m morn & 75m wkends.
73  W8TOW
ve6pg

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 07:22:12 PM »

..spoke will bill last week, ..hard to believe...

..tim..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
K5IIA

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 07:49:26 PM »

i am with everyone else. that is unreal.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
k7yoo

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 08:04:39 PM »

I think we need to add a biography section to the AM forum. There have been some real notables that have passed over the years and some of the savor & flavor of these unique personalities needs to be passed on. I have only been on the AM scene for 30 years but so many names come to mind. Each of these individuals had something unique, whether it was stories, voices, or gear it all adds up to something special that doesn't carry over into other modes. I sometimes tell stories about these guys and many folks don't relate to them. I bet there are even audio clips of many. Some are still around, but rarely heard any more. Anyone remember the Kobe & Otis sessions? (Otis is still around K5SWK) they we're stories to rival Gene Shephard! How about Ozona Bob? That was over the edge for old buzzard transmissions.
Skip
K2PG

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 08:43:51 PM »

Horrible, horrible news. I worked Bill on 160 several times, mostly from my NJ station. He was an excellent broadcast engineer who held down the fort at Clear Channel's Denver station cluster.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 09:05:54 PM »

Then this strapping signal would come booming in on 3885 and it would be him.  He will be missed.

Had a very similar thought last night. After many nights of marginal conditions and little hope, I'd hear his baritone voice wading through the hiss and static of 75/80m from Colorado. You knew it was going to be a night filled with good radio fun & conditions when you heard Bill's signal back east.

Checked my log book to see when we last worked. It was February 15th, around 20:42 EST on 3.705. One of those nights when signals were building up to the west earlier than usual.

Skip, we do have a SK section but it is in need of updating. One of those things we've been meaning to work on but seems to keep getting pushed aside by other commitments. We'll try to get it rolling again soon. Maybe a different approach is in order allowing folks to add comments as you indicate.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 09:37:49 PM »

Bill on 40 meters in 2009.

* kd0hg9may090335z7156.mp3 (860.53 KB - downloaded 260 times.)
WA3VJB
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2012, 04:41:51 AM »

Just waking up to this news.

Really a day for reflection now.
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2012, 08:36:21 AM »

Bill on 40 meters in 2009.

Thanks Steve for posting that audio clip of Bill.  Since I don't operate late nights, I never had the opportunity to work Bill.  Sure had a great sounding rig. 

Joe, GMS

Simplicity is the Elegance of Design---W3GMS
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »

I am sorry to hear about Bill's passing. I remember working him a few times but I forgot on what bands? One time he was running his 304 rig at full power and I often wished that I could have been there to see the rig in operation. I suppose it's too early to talk about what will become of the transmitter but I hope someone will be the proud owner of it and use it to help remember Bill in the spirit of a good ham radio operator that Bill was!

RIP my friend!

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1AEX
Un-smug-a-licious
Contributing

Apache Labs SDR

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »

Very sad news for us all. Bill's voice on the air and here in the forum will be missed.

Rob W1AEX

One thing I'm certain of is that there is too much certainty in the world.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »

I think we need to add a biography section to the AM forum. There have been some real notables that have passed over the years and some of the savor & flavor of these unique personalities needs to be passed on. I have only been on the AM scene for 30 years but so many names come to mind. Each of these individuals had something unique, whether it was stories, voices, or gear it all adds up to something special that doesn't carry over into other modes. I sometimes tell stories about these guys and many folks don't relate to them. I bet there are even audio clips of many. Some are still around, but rarely heard any more. Anyone remember the Kobe & Otis sessions? (Otis is still around K5SWK) they we're stories to rival Gene Shephard! How about Ozona Bob? That was over the edge for old buzzard transmissions.
Skip

You got 1 vote for a biography section.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT. A buddy of mine named the 813 rig GORT.
His fear was when I turned it on for the first time life on earth would come to a stand still.
Steve - K4HX
Administrator

« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 08:54:13 PM »

Ray Osterwald, NØDMS of Electric Radio Magazine informs me that the Heavy Metal Rally will be named in honor of Bill.
ke7trp
Contributing

« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 11:47:25 PM »

Thats a good idea. I think alot of us read the new rules for the heavy metal rally recently. I had no idea Bill was involved in starting the rally.

C
kb3rdt

poop cup

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 02:14:10 AM »

I never spoke with Bill but God Bless and RIP

Carl KB3RDT
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 06:20:41 AM »

Bill would always roll in here solidly on 160.  Being only 1000 miles or so from Colo. and having the inverted L slightly favoring the west we were able to have some good QSOs, some surprisingly early for the band.  Bill had a beverage to the East and his R390A.  Ever notice how AMers outside the AM centers of gravity never run Rangers and inverted Vs?  160 is a tough band to strap on and Bill had one of the few regular big signals and he will be missed. 

I think it is a great idea to name the Rally for him. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 07:14:50 AM »

Ray Osterwald, NØDMS of Electric Radio Magazine informs me that the Heavy Metal Rally will be named in honor of Bill.

Fantastic news Steve. 

Joe, GMS

W2ZE
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 09:10:55 AM »

I received the following e-mail last night:

It is with great sadness that I inform everyone of a great loss to our technical team, Bill Kleronomos passed away Tuesday morning.  Bill had been the chief engineer for Boulder’s KBCO since 1995 and contributed in so many ways to the success of that stations unique format and history.  While Bill was an integral part of the Denver engineering team there are many of us in this company that have also been touched by his willingness to help at any time.  He was also very popular in the ham radio community, KD0HG.

The following link contains information concerning services for Bill.  There is also an area for you to send condolences as well as an opportunity for you to share some of your memories of Bill with others.

http://www.howemortuary.com/book-of-memories/1408779/Kleronomos-William/index.php

This has been a great loss for us.  Bill was a great engineer, co-worker, and friend to many here in Denver and in the radio industry.

Regards,
Mike

Mike Irby I Director of Engineering & IT I Clear Channel Media + Entertainment

W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2012, 10:41:25 AM »

Wow!  Two in 48 hours!  So sad.  The Old School hams are becoming fewer and fewer!
What do you think about naming it the Bill Kleronomos Memorial AM Rally since he was a major driver behind it for many years?
Outstanding idea.  Let's do it!

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
Electric Radio

« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2012, 11:47:02 AM »

Hello All,
I have renamed the annual Electric Radio Heavy Metal Rally the "KDØHG Heavy Metal Rally" in Bill's honor. Let's all light up those big rigs December 29, maybe Bill in the Great Shack will hear us.

Here is an email I received yesterday from Bill's wife, Janice:

"To All,
It is with great sadness that we communicate the news of Bill’s passing.
He had so many friends scattered far and wide that we hope you will pass this news on to whoever might have known Bill.
There will be a visitation and service on Sunday, November 18, 2012 at Howe Mortuary, 439 Coffman Street, Longmont, CO.
Visitation begins at 2 p.m. with Memorial Service beginning at 3.
Memorial donations may be made thru Howe Mortuary to an Educational Memorial Fund for Bill’s two children, Adrienne and Alex.
Information will be available at www.howemortuary.com within the next few days.
Bill was a wonderful husband, father, and friend that will be missed more than words can say.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers,
Jan, Alex, and Adrienne Kleronomos."

It's hard to believe Bill is gone, his kids were barely out of High School. I first met him 30 years ago when we both were working at the same 2-way radio shop in Denver, Co. Later, we worked in the Telecommunications Division of Public Service Company of Colorado, the state's largest electric utility. After our jobs were "outsourced" we went separate ways, Bill returned to commercial broadcast radio and I stuck it out with the IBM'ers.

73, NØDMS

Ray Osterwald, NØDMS
W3GMS
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2012, 12:58:33 PM »

Hello All,
I have renamed the annual Electric Radio Heavy Metal Rally the "KDØHG Heavy Metal Rally" in Bill's honor. Let's all light up those big rigs December 29, maybe Bill in the Great Shack will hear us.

Here is an email I received yesterday from Bill's wife, Janice:

"To All,
It is with great sadness that we communicate the news of Bill’s passing.
He had so many friends scattered far and wide that we hope you will pass this news on to whoever might have known Bill.
There will be a visitation and service on Sunday, November 18, 2012 at Howe Mortuary, 439 Coffman Street, Longmont, CO.
Visitation begins at 2 p.m. with Memorial Service beginning at 3.
Memorial donations may be made thru Howe Mortuary to an Educational Memorial Fund for Bill’s two children, Adrienne and Alex.
Information will be available at www.howemortuary.com within the next few days.
Bill was a wonderful husband, father, and friend that will be missed more than words can say.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers,
Jan, Alex, and Adrienne Kleronomos."

It's hard to believe Bill is gone, his kids were barely out of High School. I first met him 30 years ago when we both were working at the same 2-way radio shop in Denver, Co. Later, we worked in the Telecommunications Division of Public Service Company of Colorado, the state's largest electric utility. After our jobs were "outsourced" we went separate ways, Bill returned to commercial broadcast radio and I stuck it out with the IBM'ers.

73, NØDMS

Ray,

What a great tribute to Bill in renaming the Heavy Metal Rally in Bill's honor.  Thank you for doing that.   

I remember in talking to you and Bill that you both worked together earlier in your careers.  I am sure you have many fond memories along with some great stories. 

I only new Bill from afar, but I admired not only his capabilities but his "style" as a person. 

Joe, W3GMS   

WA3VJB
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2012, 01:32:42 PM »

Hello All,
//
73, NØDMS

Ray, add me to the others who are delighted you're naming this annual radio event for him.

He would have turned 62 tomorrow,  Nov. 19, and it's sad that he won't be around to celebrate that and the many more we wish he could have had with us.

Being on the radio and talking about him will certainly help keep alive our memory of him.

* KD0HG.jpg (680.17 KB, 939x999 - viewed 448 times.)
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2012, 07:59:37 PM »

Jeez, Im in total shock at the news plus being so late to the forum, been too busy recently to even log in.

Bill and I have talked over the air and shared several emails and phone calls over the years.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Carl
KM1H

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015