The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:12:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Define "Tall Ship"  (Read 43216 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: October 02, 2012, 08:16:08 PM »

It's not well defined, this vernacular term "Tall Ship".
In some places it means a overly large draft of beverage.
I know what is being talked about, a station that is louder or as loud (in the S-meter) as any other, and heard by all, not only by one or two.. Is that even right?

There is more to it than equipment?

What does the operator have to do with it?

The signal as judged by others?

what is a minimum carrier level if AM?

Are there tall ships of other modes like RTTY and CW?

Height of antenna?

Type of antenna?

Distance heard while the signal is still very good?

What is really meant? Can this term even be defined in a meaningful way, suitable for dictionary use?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA3VJB
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »

I know what is being talked about,

that's the most important answer
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 08:53:57 PM »

so be it.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:06:14 PM »

I don't know what makes your station a tall ship, but I do know that if the Timtron has deemed your signal piss weak, then a tall ship you are not. That was even when I was pushing almost 200 watts out of the amp.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 10:25:27 PM »

It's not well defined, this vernacular term "Tall Ship".

What is really meant? Can this term even be defined in a meaningful way, suitable for dictionary use?

More of an euphemism which should not be taken seriously. Probably originally conceived based on power, weight and height of transmitter during the early days of the Heavy Metal rallies. Silliness to the extreme.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 10:26:54 PM »

I don't know what makes your station a tall ship, but I do know that if the Timtron has deemed your signal piss weak, then a tall ship you are not. That was even when I was pushing almost 200 watts out of the amp.

It's like being measured with a wobbly stick.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:18 PM »

I think in years past a Tall Ship was when all the guys in NE were young, it was running power and having the capability to wipe a piss weaker off the map particularly if they were a slop bucket station. I think it was pretty much the same as the west coast California Kill O Watt stations we heard about here on the east coast. I almost became a Tall Ship when I ran my Westinghouse. I could crank it up to way past 1500 watts but I always ran the transmitter with the antenna one inch off the ground to stay legal.

I think for the most part the Tall Ships around here are solid state types with hollow state operators pretty much put out to pasture nowadays.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 11:16:38 PM »

Here is a graphic representation of Mike, KO6NM's signal and mine:

* tallship.jpg (77.45 KB, 500x500 - viewed 539 times.)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 01:35:36 AM »

It is all in the wearing, as it were.

I've been to the KO6NM QSA many times.

He runs a converted Collins 20V-3 into a simple wire dipole between two palm trees @ about 50'. 

RE-20 into his own DAP-610 for processing.

Simple works OK from Woodland Hills.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 07:25:43 AM »

A "Tall Ship" simply has a signal stronger (bigger) than most and the audio to go with it.  Tall Ships are hard if not impossible to strap, they plow away the interference, and can be heard under almost all conditions.

There are Tall Ships in every region of the country.  We have a fair share of them here in New England, but certainly Robert W0VMC qualifies; some of the West Coast stations already mentioned can always be heard out here and with "real" signals, and when W0XV had his pair of 4-1000s on the air, I could hear him from Louisiana up here in Mass into the late mornings (that is amazing for the distance), and with a strong signal.  There are a number of others as well - Bill KD0HG comes to mind, K4HX, etc. etc. 

My memory isn't sufficient to enumerate all of them, but you know a Tall Ship when they're on.  Everyone is 20 over and all of a sudden someone comes on who is 40 over and with big audio from the same area.  The background noise goes quiet and you think your receiver just died.  Suddenly the room is filled with silky smooth sounds that caress your senses and you know at that moment why you're on AM  Cheesy

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2012, 07:53:03 AM »

I'd like to include into the "tall Ship" category systems with clean, equalized, and loud modulation where the positive peaks extend upward to 140%, and have negative peak baseline control to minimize splatter. One example is Timtron's Viking 1.5 that uses 811 modulators instead of 807's along with the QIX three diode circuit. Tim peaks at 150%, and it sounds very good with most receivers, even those that use simple diode detectors. His modulation penetrates above the noise.

Many times I hear "Tall Ships" based upon S-Meter reading, then I find myself twisting all the knobs on my receiver to enhance copy from either a low average modulation, or too much energy wasted below 200 hz resulting in muffled audio when trying to copy at a distance.

I contend that with "enhanced modulation" techniques, that a "Tall Ship" could include a 100 - 150 watt carrier output class transmitter.

Jim
WD5JKO
kb3ouk

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »

Is Timtron doing anything to the audio before it goes into the transmitter, or is he just feeding it directly from the mic?

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2012, 09:23:59 AM »

About every qso from him that i hear mentions the merits of a D104 regardless of one actually being in use that day.  Very sensible and decries only those that use insufficient power for the conditions.  Also very tolerant of distance and ionospheric variables when in qso.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 09:53:08 AM »

You know a Tall Ship when they're on.  Everyone is 20 over and all of a sudden someone comes on who is 40 over and with big audio from the same area.  The background noise goes quiet and you think your receiver just died.  Suddenly the room is filled with silky smooth sounds that caress your senses and you know at that moment why you're on AM  Cheesy

Bingo! You nailed it, Steve.

Bill
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »

As far as I know the term was originally coined by K4KYV referenced here:

http://amfone.net/AMPX/102.htm

I personally think upward modulation over 110 or 115% is inadvisable.  Given a choice between high positive peaks and less carrier and lower peaks with more carrier I would recommend the latter for the following reasons:

In ham radio where we don't run 5 KW or more and most communication is via skywave the carrier is important for keeping the frequency quiet.

High average, not high peaks is what really matters.  compression is just as important as a peak limiter, although with some p.l.s you can drive them into gain reduction and achieve compression but it is not quite the same as a multi-band audio compressor.

In big groups where most hams are running average ham audio the guy who is wildly asymmetric can be a nuisance.  The frequency gets passed around everything FB and then Mr. 150 or 200% gets his turn and WOW He's LOUD, and you are knocking stuff out of the way to get to your rx before your speakers blow.

Lots of hams, especially OTs are listening with receivers using envelope detectors that fold at 90%.  Look at Jay W1VDs rx specs--many break into 10% or more distortion at 80% modulation.  Give these guys a break.

Run big carrier, high average, symmetric or slightly asymmetric peaks and to me that is being dialed in.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2012, 12:09:27 PM »

The ability to pull off a "BANG, lookie here, squashed just like a bug"  Wink  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »

"No Money Mike" KO6NM does not run artificial asymmetrical modulation.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 01:17:36 PM »

A tall ship is whatever you wish it to be.  And it will change as you change.

"Tall ship" is just another of about 100+ words and phrases with special meaning to Amers.  Yallowy, pissweak, microphonium, o'line, 24 pills, etc... it goes on and on.   This is a good thang.

These words and phrases are what makes AM a special nitche from other parts of the hobby. It gives AM character - just like bikers have their own jargon, surfers, skiers, boaters, base jumpers, pilots, drag racers, etc.

And, each hobby has their own "tall ships."    The biggest and baddest race cars are tall ships. The guy who can ride his board thru a 30' wave is a tall ship.  The biker with the long rake and big chrome is a tall ship.

A tall ship is whatever you wish it to be.  When I was a WN1 Johnny novice, a 200 watt General was a tall ship. But that standard has changed, as it always will, as we grow in the hobby.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WA3VJB
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »

"Caw ! Maw !

T

; )
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 02:57:00 PM »

As far as I know the term was originally coined by K4KYV referenced here:

http://amfone.net/AMPX/102.htm

I personally think upward modulation over 110 or 115% is inadvisable.  Given a choice between high positive peaks and less carrier and lower peaks with more carrier I would recommend the latter for the following reasons:

In ham radio where we don't run 5 KW or more and most communication is via skywave the carrier is important for keeping the frequency quiet.

High average, not high peaks is what really matters.  compression is just as important as a peak limiter, although with some p.l.s you can drive them into gain reduction and achieve compression but it is not quite the same as a multi-band audio compressor.

In big groups where most hams are running average ham audio the guy who is wildly asymmetric can be a nuisance.  The frequency gets passed around everything FB and then Mr. 150 or 200% gets his turn and WOW He's LOUD, and you are knocking stuff out of the way to get to your rx before your speakers blow.

Lots of hams, especially OTs are listening with receivers using envelope detectors that fold at 90%.  Look at Jay W1VDs rx specs--many break into 10% or more distortion at 80% modulation.  Give these guys a break.

Run big carrier, high average, symmetric or slightly asymmetric peaks and to me that is being dialed in.

Rob, all good points!  That said, with headroom well beyond 100% upward, it is possible without many exotic processing boxes to get the average up around 100%. The receiver distortion figures that Jay presents are informative for sure, but they are done with a continuous sine wave, not human speech. Also a good part of the distortion in these receivers is from the audio modulating the AGC bus. A great solution here is at the transmitting end to cut back on the audio power below say 250 hz; don't eliminate it, but maybe make it 6 db less (80 -250 hz) than at 1 Khz. Another-words a D104 into 2-3 meg-ohm often does that. Then non-periodic speech will have much less influence when it comes to AGC bus distortion.  Another issue with diode detectors is that if the load includes some capacitance, then the detector output hangs a bit coming down from a voice peak in a RC decay time constant. When you combine this receiver characteristic with an abrupt transmitter negative peak limiter like the 3 diode circuit, then the diode detector's R-C decay lag actually helps matters since the abrupt limit near the baseline does not come out of the detector making audio with that 'kink' in it. The result is the audio just might sound better!

So last night on 3885, I was listening to Don (KYV) and another station (a 'w1'). The other station was S9+10 into Texas, and I could only copy maybe every third word. He will remain nameless other than he was sitting in his new chair.  Wink His audio was really good at times, but a lot of lows really hampered things since the average level seemed quite low to me. A mere 3 db increase in the average along with a 6 db reduction in the lows would have been huge in terms of readability.

So what is better, transmitting at 3% THD with 30% copy versus transmitting at 10% THD with 90% copy?

Jim
WD5JKO
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 03:24:40 PM »

High Jack starts:

Funny, I never heard any of this with my old receivers but I am told it happens with solid state receivers but have not experienced it there either. HIGH JACK ends:

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
kb3ouk

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 04:27:35 PM »

Yea, on 75 meters, running something like 500 watts into a set of phased dipoles at 100 feet would definitely make you a tall ship. On 10 meters, 200 watts (or even less) into a 3 element beam at 50 feet has almost the same potential, depending on conditions.

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »

Hi Jim tnx for the information.  I did not know that about distortion vis a vis sine wave and human speech.

Yes I roll off the low frequencies but my motivation was to conserve power since they don't convey much information and cause the higher mod. levels (and power) to be in the mid-range where the audio is more penetrating. 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2012, 10:05:21 PM »

A tall ship is whatever you wish it to be.  And it will change as you change.

Exactly. One man's tag line is another man's punch line. Some see it as a goal to achieve, some see it as a term to elevate some perceived standing, others see it as pointless so long as you can be heard.

Having a big transmitter that is loud but seldom heard doesn't cut it. One only needs to listen to the monthly Collins AM net to understand this. And DX-60s, 32Vs, etc won't cover the distance with the needed strength reliably. A fully-modulated substantial carrier able to be heard with ease over a reasonable or expected distance, that is on the air regularly enough to become 'known' would be something to strive for. Beyond that - ??

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W4AAB

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2012, 11:42:24 PM »

W0XV is in Mississippi, although not far from Louisiana. K5IIA is loud here, and he is in Lousiana. I just bought a Globe King 500(drove to North Carolina to get it last Friday). I am trying to do a trade for a 140 foot BC tower to put up here on the ridge.
                                    Joe W4AAB
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015