The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 04:52:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What if you discover a GPS tracking device attached to your car?  (Read 23778 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: November 14, 2011, 07:06:12 PM »

Are you under any obligation not to tamper with it?

What if you take it off and simply place it on a shelf somewhere? Or you toss it in the weeds on the side of the road? You take it apart to see what's inside? You smash it to smithereens with a sledge hammer?

I would be inclined to take it apart, salvage any components I thought I might be able to use, and toss the rest in the trash. Finders keepers, losers weepers.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:09:58 PM »

I would think you are going to be in big trouble, if someone is tracking your every move.

Fred KC4MOP
K5WLF
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 07:31:27 PM »

As far as I'm concerned, anything anybody puts on my vehicle without my consent belongs to me. I'll tape it to the 10-ring of a target next time I go shooting and video the destruction -- just in case they ever come around asking what happened to it.
WD8KDG

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2011, 07:32:30 PM »

Grins & Giggles: Take it to a zoo and feed it to one of the animals Grin

If you haven't noticed cell phones contain a GPS device, how bout OnStar or whatever it is called?

Anyone following me is really bored and has nothing better to do.

Craig,

Ham radio is now like the surprise in a box of "Cracker-Jacks". There is a new source of RFI every day.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2011, 07:37:45 PM »

Wrap it in 'Sn' foil and put in in your freezer.

klc

What? Me worry?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2011, 07:40:09 PM »

I suppose this begs the question: WHY would someone attach a GPS tracking device to your car, and who would do it??

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2011, 07:44:25 PM »

If it's just a GPS device and it's not reporting back to anyone, "What Me Worry??"

And Sn foil isssssss TIN??

Fred KC4MOP
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »

"WHY would someone attach a GPS tracking device to your car, and who would do it?? "

They would do it.

What? Me worry?
KZ5A

Vikings Rule!

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 07:58:09 PM »

I would remove it and attach it to someone else's car, or maybe an 18 wheeler.  Tongue Tongue Tongue

73 Jack KZ5A

73 Jack KZ5A
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2011, 07:59:34 PM »

I would remove it and attach it to a school bus.
KA2DZT

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2011, 08:28:04 PM »

I would remove it and attach it to a school bus.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Private dicks working for lawyers trying to find where people work so they can garnish their wages to pay debts.
WA3VJB
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »

Interesting topic.

I've covered two news stories in recent years where GPS tracking devices were used by law enforcement without the knowledge of the target.

Most recently, a case where the target was told about the device when he took his car in for maintenance. It was removed and handed to his lawyer:
FBI Sued for Warrantless GPS Surveillance of California Muslim
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/cair-fbi-sued-for-warrantless-gps-surveillance-of-calif-muslim-117251848.html

In another case, in Virginia, a defendant lost his appeal of a conviction in a sex attack, unsuccessfully arguing that the secret use by police of a GPS attached to his work van to establish his travel patterns during the day, outweighed the fact police then observed an attack taking place.

He contended that the officers’ failure to obtain a search warrant prior to attaching the GPS device required that any evidence obtained through the use of that device, including the testimony of the officers who observed him attack the victim, be suppressed under the exclusionary rule.

http://www.courts.state.va.us/opinions/opncavwp/0521094.pdf

No wonder authorities are very keen to interdict GPS and cellphone jamming devices.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2011, 09:22:44 PM »

Gee I live a boring life so go for it track me.
Make sure you get the car and truck so you don't miss anything
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:25:56 PM »

i'd attach it to a cat or some other animal that travels around a lot. or better yet, feed it to a goat.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 10:55:45 PM »

Gee I live a boring life so go for it track me.
Make sure you get the car and truck so you don't miss anything
Frank,
I'd put it on our friend the hawk. "Mr Rte 20"

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2011, 12:42:51 AM »

So many good ideas. I would want to put it on something that cruised around the really bad parts of town at night, preferably.

Isn't this question being taken up the Supreme Court right now?  Does attaching a GPS to a suspect's vehicle without a warrant constitute unlawful search and seizure.

kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2011, 06:23:49 AM »

or attach it to a cop car.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2011, 09:01:58 AM »

since I am not doing anything to worry about, I would prolly leave it there until the right opportunity comes along to have a little fun with it. When the right opportunity came along, I would stick it onto something that would give them a run for their money and me a good giggle.................. Like a cop car or even better, a trash truck.

Like Frank said, if they were tracking me, it would be pretty boring and not worth their effort. I wouldn't get too upset if there was ome on my trick, as long as I knew it was there.

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2011, 10:51:35 AM »

Isn't this question being taken up the Supreme Court right now?  Does attaching a GPS to a suspect's vehicle without a warrant constitute unlawful search and seizure.

Yes, it is.  They just agreed to take the case and had a preliminary hearing on it a few days ago.

Federal, state and local law enforcement agencies want to be able to plunk one onto anyone's vehicle at any time for any reason, without any kind of court-issued warrant.  But if they have reasonable suspicion that someone is engaged in unlawful activity, aka "probable cause", how much of an inconvenience would it be to have a judge issue a warrant?

The Fourth Amendment was put there for a reason. I don't go along with that "nothing to worry about if I have nothing to hide/have done nothing wrong" crap I hear so often these days.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2011, 11:16:42 AM »

Like many others I am very particular about my privacy (or anyone trying to invade it without my consent)

To those that I let in close I dont keep any secrets, to those that I dont, I stay as much of an enigma as I can. Short, sweet, and simple!!

to those that are willing to give up their privacy in the interest of
"public safety" or anything else are fools! Short, sweet, and simple.
Too many have fought and died to protect those rights.

Like I said in an earlier post, finding a tracking device on my vehicle would not upset me as bad as wondering WHY it was put there. I would leave it there for a short while before having a little fun with it. All of our company owned trucks have them to keep the technicians honest. they have definately uncovered some interesting things. But my truck is owned by me, so they have no say in what I do with it.

If you are using a company owned vehicle for your job, dont be surprised if you find one on it. Many companies now do it for insurance purposes if nothing else.

If my insurance company asked me to put them on my personal vehicles, I would tell them to go pound sand just for the principle of it.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 12:28:42 PM »

Yup Frank I would leave it there until I thought up a good prank to pull the tracker out of hiding to make a fool of them.
Carl, My luck our buddy would drop it on my car
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2011, 12:36:07 PM »

Yup Frank I would leave it there until I thought up a good prank to pull the tracker out of hiding to make a fool of them.

Like sticking it on a trash truck..................  Grin  Grin

W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2011, 12:38:32 PM »

Maybe get one of your Russki buddies take it to the ISS and set it outside....

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KC2ZFA

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2011, 01:01:30 PM »

BEWARE. "They" know that someone's real name here is سﻻبي بيكون
W0BTU

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »

1. Remove it.
2. Wrap it in aluminum foil to disable it.
3. Park the car somewhere with two hidden, motion-activated video surveillance cameras pointing at the car, running 24/7.

Someone is going to come looking at why the GPS device quit, and you'll find out who that someone was by playing back the video.

UPDATE:
An alternative motive might be to see when a person leaves, so they can burglarize the place. In that case, have someone else drive the car somewhere, while the law enforcement officers watch from the shadows with weapons ready. :-)

73 Mike 
www.w0btu.com
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015