The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 01:37:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What if you discover a GPS tracking device attached to your car?  (Read 23782 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2011, 05:03:15 PM »

This cropped up some years ago in aviation circles. Folks in California were finding GPS devices hacked into the control panels of their small planes.  Either by instrumentation malfunction or by the required annual inspection process.

Many issues there, first, you can not modify an aircraft with out authorization, you can't install "avionics" unless you're licensed, etc.

Bad news altogether. But then, folks voluntarily allow cell phones with GPS units to track their person by purchasing such phones and using them (implied consent).  Onstar equiped vehicles as well, so the case for the installation against your will is a bit thinner than some years ago.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 05:21:14 PM »

There was a case here in CT where a car rental company had hidden GPS devices installed in their rentals and charged the renter extra money when it was revealed that he was speeding in his rental.  I don't know what came of that case but I remember it did raise a stink with many. I suspect that it was ruled illegal since I don't hear about renters getting wacked with extra charges.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 05:22:53 PM »

On my cell fone, there is a choice to turn on the GPS full time but if you call 911 on, it's activated automatically at that time. That being said, I don't believe the users option is something that i can activate, I think it's always on!

As far as having a court approved unit on my car, if I found it, I would destroy it.

While we're at it, what do the common GPS spy units look like?

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2011, 05:51:04 PM »

Aren't they just receivers only?  That means someone would have to retrieve it to determine the travels.  I'm not aware of homing type GPS devices that transmit data (except cell phones) to limit personal interaction.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2011, 06:00:15 PM »

Tracking is a way of life. You can't avoid it. Every time you search the Internet your tracked. Go to the food store; swipe your "discount card"; pay by credit or debit card; your tracked. Tracking is even done on this board. The title of the thread has "GPS" in it and all the AdChoices to the left of the screen are related to "GPS". As already reported, OnStar, if installed, tracks you. Cell phones can pinpoint your location. Go live your life in a cave and maybe you might not be tracked.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2011, 06:02:06 PM »

The aviation version used the planes transponder to relay data to... someone (DEA). This was how they were first detected, the transponders became intermittent and they were reported to the pilots who had them checked to find black boxes JS'd into the aircraft with clip leads etc.

The automotive version would be a lot easier to just return to the car and collect it.  A simple magentic mount little black box would make that really quick and easy.  Just walk by, drop down to "tie your shoe" and bingo, on/off all set and none the wiser.  Return to the office and download the 'trip log' etc.   What would be fun if you found one would be to open it up and modifiy the trip log to show you drove to somewhere really interesting, like Hawaii or McMurdo and back.  Make sure you figgure the times right, else they'll get you for speedin'

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2011, 06:06:23 PM »

Just because something is common place does not mean it should be accepted.  That type of logic would have us still living in a world where some people have to sit in the back of the bus. The first step is to raise awareness, the second to generate discontent, third take action.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2011, 06:18:33 PM »

An alternative motive might be to see when a person leaves, so they can burglarize the place. In that case, have someone else drive the car somewhere, while the law enforcement officers watch from the shadows with weapons ready. :-)

That's another thought.  You wouldn't know if it was placed there by government law enforcement, which would be bad enough, or by some private agency that has no business snooping in the first place, or even worse still, by criminal elements. Once those things start to be mass produced, they will inevitably fall into wrong hands, and some enterprising entity (probably in Asia) will sell them on line.

Another market created for a new product: " GPS tracker detectors". Look for one next next to the bogus "for export" CBs next time you visit a truck stop... along with DIY mag-mount GPS tracking devices.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
k7yoo

« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2011, 06:26:26 PM »

GPS Jammers will be next--then we will REALLY have fun. Glad I saved all of my paper road maps.
Stray RF rules!
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »

A real GPS tracker would have the essential bits of a cell phone in it as well, transmitting data packets whenever it sensed movement.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KD0HUX

« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2011, 08:12:59 PM »

Grin I WOULD HAVE SOME FUN MAIL IT 2 SOME ONE AND HAVE THEM MAIL IT BACK    Grin  ALASKA ect ect Or  PLACE IT  ON A FREIGHT TRAIN THE OPTIONS ARE ENDLESS Grin
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2011, 08:19:17 PM »

Call your lawyer instead of asking silly questions here.

Low priced trackers (including those with a cell phone built in to report your position) are already being mass produced in China. Same for GPS jammers. A five second Google search will give you a clue.

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2011, 09:38:05 PM »

http://www.pigear.com/store/PTX5-Live-GPS-Tracker-p589.html

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 06:39:03 AM »

Maybe get one of your Russki buddies take it to the ISS and set it outside....

73DG

The Russkis are not going to be our problem. They are sitting back watching the show and waiting. Someone else is taking care of business.

Fred KC4MOP
KC9LKE

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2011, 07:56:20 AM »

GPS Jammers will be next--then we will REALLY have fun. Glad I saved all of my paper road maps.
Stray RF rules!

You can buy them, they plug into the cars lighter socket.

I built one last year at school. VCO from Mini circuits and a few parts. Very effective with a YAGI

Ted
W1QWT

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2011, 08:13:41 AM »

I must have one in my car! I recently bought my wife a new Sonata and decided to get the Bluelink (Hyundai's version of Onstar) for our trip across country.
Anyway I was at the store and mistakenly pressed the panic button on the key fob. Well when I got home I got an email from Hyundai telling me that the panic button was pressed at such and such time and they gave the street address where it was pressed!
There must be a transmitter in the car also cause you can talk to people.
These new cars tell people where you are and how they are feeling. A guy I know said they can phone home and report your speed also!
Atleast when I drive my Mustang I know nobody is watching. It is very basic: engine and four wheels.
Regards
Q

Regards, Q, W1QWT
K3ZS

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »

The manual for my 2003 Mazda Tribute has a statement warning that the data stored in the car's computer can be used against you in a court of law.   I wonder if Onstar has its data stored also.
W1FVB

VB Radio

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2011, 03:05:59 PM »

Analyze it, like this guy did:
http://hackaday.com/2011/05/09/fbi-tracking-device-found-disassembled/
And for a group of hams, I'm amazed that nobody would like to learn what frequency these things send their data on.. the output power, low power? ..They most be close by to receive...and look.. a white van with dark windows.. Cool Cool Shocked
*Trust no one*

vbradio.wordpress.com
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2011, 05:17:45 PM »

Maybe get one of your Russki buddies take it to the ISS and set it outside....

73DG

The Russkis are not going to be our problem. They are sitting back watching the show and waiting. Someone else is taking care of business.

I didn't mean they were the problem.  They are the only folks going out to the Space Station.  A tracker working out there might give them a bit of a pause....

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2011, 07:13:46 PM »

The 1968 Omnibus Safe Streets Act clearly regulates bugs, how you make, ship import, export and store and advertise them. There is a big difference between devices which are loosely controlled from the devices to be used by law enforcement under a court order. Some states would allow a device like a beacon to be attached by a government agency, magnetically for instance, without a court order for simple RDF tracking, but GPS devices are controlled tightly and a judge has to be involved. You have an expectation of privacy in your car and that is protected turf. In no case would the discovery and destruction of a device legal or not be considered to be a crime. "I thought it was a bomb" is the typical defense.

These are the good old days of AM
WA1GFZ

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2011, 12:54:16 PM »

one could just heat it up to a point where it stops working then reattach it to the same spot.
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2011, 03:52:53 PM »

Just like the transmissiom Frank!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2011, 11:32:14 PM »

A real GPS tracker would have the essential bits of a cell phone in it as well, transmitting data packets whenever it sensed movement.

73DG

Car dealers offer such hidden devices so that if the car is stolen, the tracking company calls the 'cellphone' of the device and the location is transmitted in real time. That way the car can be recovered quickly before it is stripped or is taken to Mexico never to be seen again. see "skylink". It works very well and the criminal does not know if it is present or not. Some car dealers install these sort of things to make repo easier. Skylink is a one time payment, and is for the life of the ownership of the vehicle.

As for finding an unauthorized one, lots of interesting ideas here. If someone shows up to find out why it is not working, their arrest would be a good start. Police are obligated to uphold the law, and you can insist, if a law was actually broken.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2011, 01:10:17 AM »

"Police are obligated to uphold the law, and you can insist, if a law was actually broken."

That must be why troopers never just give warnings anymore to speeders.

AMI#1684
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2011, 09:00:23 AM »

73DG

Car dealers offer such hidden devices so that if the car is stolen, the tracking company calls the 'cellphone' of the device and the location is transmitted in real time. That way the car can be recovered quickly before it is stripped or is taken to Mexico never to be seen again. see "skylink". It works very well and the criminal does not know if it is present or not. Some car dealers install these sort of things to make repo easier. Skylink is a one time payment, and is for the life of the ownership of the vehicle.

As for finding an unauthorized one, lots of interesting ideas here. If someone shows up to find out why it is not working, their arrest would be a good start. Police are obligated to uphold the law, and you can insist, if a law was actually broken.

Op. Is there a link you can point to. I googled around for a minute and only see home alarms.

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015