The AM Forum
May 06, 2024, 05:48:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to The Future....  (Read 27840 times)
AB5S

Look what four daughters will do to you.

« on: August 15, 2011, 11:01:44 AM »

I posted this to a couple of the email reflectors, but
I think it is worth repeating here:

> The talent on this list has always been outstanding.  But I'm
> concerned membership may drop just due to age attrition. 
>Who are  the under 50 youngsters here that will inherit
>our love of boatanchors and care for our equipment?

I've recently had reason to think hard about this very thing.
Where are the youngsters who will carry on?
There are very few.  As with any collectable when its
prime interest group (those who wished to have the items when they
were young and acquired them when they grew old) passes away,
only a tiny cadre' will carry the fire into the future-
like those who collect Roman armor or scrimshaw;
they will be very few and very selective.

They will preserve only the "cream" items- those which have
been given "special" status by our care and documentation of them
and which are in exceptional condition.
For instance; a nice, complete RAT or RAX set
(I mean with mounts, control boxes and etc.) will probably
stick around long after we're gone.  An exceptionally nice
and complete Collins station of any era or Drake line with no
chassis rot will probably make the cut.  Also those which,
while perhaps a bit more rough, have a "hook" into
other cultural issues, like WASP ferrying radios (women's rights)
have a chance, but only if documented well and widely enough
that future enthusiasts (all four of them) understand the "hook."

That accessory-less BC-654, banged-up Swan,
heavy, dusty. power-supply-less ART-13,
chassis-rotted Drake or too-common Hallicrafters S-whatever
will probably go through a succession of two or three
dusty garages before going to the scrap dealer.
Anything big, bulky and/or heavy will have a hard time.
Nearly all "plastic radios", which are subject to silicon device
deterioration, plastic decay and discontinuance of "single source,"
"in-house" parts will go yard-sale and end-up in a nerd's
garage (the same guy who has a pile of old computer CRTs
 for reasons only he knows)  until he discovers girls.
It will go to the curb when he gets married and
"She Who Must Be Obeyed" decides it's clean-up time.

So much for your $10,000 plastic YeaComWood.
And I'm sorry, guys, but that whacked-up, hacked-up
ex-military "why that modification is part'o tha history
of Ham Radio!" FrankenSet will be the first one in the dumpster.
It's happening already as guys who've pack-ratted but
not prepared pass on and their kids, who are only interested
in selling the house, trash it.  And if it makes it to a hamfest,
it *might* sell for $2, but will more likely hit the dumpster
on the way back home.  I've done that one myself.

This is the unavoidable fate of 95% of the radios
in your collection right now.  Thousands of years
of human nature dictate it.  There are only so many
military vehicles/planes/ships or ham clubs to whom you can donate.
"Museums"-  even if you can find a legit one
that isn't "Clem's 'zeum uh Old Radios in My Back Bedroom"-
and that claims interest in your stuff, will stick it in a box
in a warehouse where it will stay until the "museum" sells it
to raise cash or closes and it's auctioned-off,
or just stay there in the dusty box until Judgement Day.
And ham clubs are going extinct faster than we are.

There is , however, something you can do about all this.

First- FOCUS.  What radio or radios are you really
passionate about?  Do you really care about those
three Swan rigs you've had in the shed for 15 years?
Let me give you some advice, my friend:
You're only going to live a certain number of hours more.
You can probably count-up to the number of years
you have left in one breath- maybe even on your fingers.
Why on Glorious God's good Earth would you spend
even one of those precious, irreplaceable hours
on a radio you don't care about?
If you have a passion for a radio,
you work on it until your fingers bleed.
You drive 200 miles to get the right knob for the
volume control.  You don't have time or money
for second-stringers.  FOCUS.

Second: Give the future a reason to care about it.
Get your chosen stations or sets complete.
All the accessories.  All "correct."  And get them
in excellent condition.  Restore what you can.
Swap-out pieces as you find better examples.
And most important:  Document.  Write about
your passion- everything you can find about it.
Discuss with people who share your passion
and even with the "lukewarm."
The only immortality you have this side of the grave
is your written words.
"Word of mouth" dies with the people doing the talking.
The memory of you will fade within a generation or two,
except for your written, published words.
Written words can live forever.
Write as though you're talking to some young people,
trying to convince them that they should take up your passion,
because that's just exactly what you're doing.

GL OM ES 73 DE Dave AB5S

* display3.JPG (208.73 KB, 800x600 - viewed 628 times.)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:22:59 PM »

Well before you even think the day might occur, it would be wise to leave in a conspicuous place as up-to-date as possible a list of contacts, of people who might help to dispose of your radio stuff. This BB for example, as well as the AM Reflector; maybe even grit your teeth and include e-Ham and QRZ.com. Include contact information for as many individuals within reasonable driving distance you can think of, who might be interested.

Much irreplaceable old radio equipment, as well as old books and magazines, goes to the dump simply because the survivors have no clue how to otherwise dispose of it, what items might be worth preserving and what really is pure rubbish, or who might be interested in any of it.  In particular, hard-to-find junkbox goodies such as tubes, panel meters, transformers, variable capacitors and other items not currently inside working transmitters and receivers, have a tendency to be trashed without question, especially if they are dirty and grimy from collecting dust and maybe a few mouse droppings on a shelf or inside a box over a period of many years.

I have been involved in the last minute rescue of several estates accumulated over many decades, that would have otherwise met the landfill fate. In a couple of instances, real treasure troves were given to me and a couple of other local AMers free of charge for hauling it away. One came from a well-known and well respected elderly medical doctor near Indianapolis who became convinced that we were the only hope that some of his amateur radio collection might one day be put to good use. His wife, who was very suspicious of us at first, notified us that he had passed away, just two weeks after we had carted all his radio stuff away in a van. I recall seeing tears in his eyes as we departed. Another one was the house-full we carried away in multiple trips in a U-Haul, also from Indiana, after the wife could not find anyone willing to follow through and haul everything to the dump (except for the ricebox, 75A-4 and HT-37), per the advice of some of the local Ham Radio Club types.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:26:09 PM »

That's pretty good.  The author is a realist.

It makes me look around the hamshack and wonder the fate of these homebrew rat-traps - especially the towers in the backyard. Probably all will go to the scrap dealer eventually... sigh.

I think the biggest threat still remains: Someday in the future, maybe 20-30 years away, we will tune the bands and hear mostly atmospheric static. The many signals of yesteryear will have faded away. The OT's left alive will have called their last CQ's.  It's really a snowball effect. Once the OT's buddies start dying out, most will not get on anymore. "There's no one to talk to."  It can happen quickly, like when the summer is especially static-brutal and no one gets on - like this season. Habits can form.  OT's have fragile psyches and can get frustrated easily if they have a bad time on the air. Lots of reasons to let the hobby go. I don't see the young kids recreating what we have now, especially with the economic times that appear to be unfolding for the longer term future.

***  We need to get back on the air and start up BIG activity this fall. Like it or not, we will be entering our "swan-song" radio era soon. These ARE the good old days of radio for most of us on this BB.  Enjoy them now, while we can. We might as well go out with a bang over the next decade or two. Let's get some lively action going this fall!

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 12:47:49 PM »

Ok, let's speak like realists.

The fact is that most of us, myself included, are doing NOTHING at all to bring younger people into the hobby. Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, zero.

The ARRL is pathetic at it, always has been, probably always will be so.

Let's contrast this with other hobbies.

Yes, there are differences - radio equipment doesn't all travel with ease, and the hobby depends on people talking to each other at some distance. And yes, the internet and cell phonage has changed the situation dramatically.

Other hobbies: chess? sports? bridge? knitting? trains? scale car racing? etc, etc...

The difference I see is that these other hobbies have more of a local presence for people to latch on to. Ham radio is more or less invisible locally unless you seek it out actively. Also most other hobbies have local commercial establishments providing supplies and materials...

Yes, there are local ham clubs. In fact there are likely 6 or more clubs in my area! Yet, they don't really cooperate, they have very weak web presence, ZERO local presence in the community.

That last part is the key to bringing new people into the hobby! LOCAL PRESENCE IN THE COMMUNITY.

So I ask you, ask not what ham radio can do for you, ask what YOU can do FOR ham radio!

What you can do, is to contact the superintendent of schools for your local school districts, contact the principals of your local schools, and haul your lazy ass and some pictures, mags and gear - like a HAMFEST CAR FULL - (it's not too much to move when you go to a hamfest, is it??) and make some sort of presentation to the kids.

You do not have to be a good public speaker, you do not have to have a whiz bang presentation, all you have to do is to be sincere, and express your interests and love of the hobby. The rest will take care of itself.

If you can manage to motivate the lazy slackers in your local club to participate, so much the better... but I would not wait for or count on others to do what you should be doing now.

I'll betcha just about every school has a chess club - because some adult takes it upon themselves to MAKE IT HAPPEN.

That's my statement: MAKE IT HAPPEN!!
Otherwise ur preaching to choir, and crying in ur soup...

How's that for being realistic?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 12:53:58 PM »

The ARRL is pathetic at it, always has been, probably always will be so.

is there anthing the arrl isn't pathetic at? actually, at the moment the way they seem to be getting trying to get people to get their license is by focusing on EMCOMM as if it's the only thing that exist.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 01:05:04 PM »

It makes me look around the hamshack and wonder the fate of these homebrew rat-traps - especially the towers in the backyard. Probably all will go to the scrap dealer eventually... sigh.

I think the biggest threat still remains: Someday in the future, maybe 20-30 years away, we will tune the bands and hear mostly atmospheric static. The many signals of yesteryear will have faded away. The OT's left alive will have called their last CQ's.  It's really a snowball effect. Once many of the OT's buddies start dying out, most don't get on anymore. "There's no one to talk to."  It can happen quickly, like when the summer is especially static-brutal and no one gets on - like this season. Habits can form.  OT's have fragile psyches and can get frustrated easily if they have a bad time on the air. Lots of reasons to let the hobby go. I don't see the young kids recreating what we have now, especially with the economic times that appear to be unfolding for the longer term future.

***  We need to get back on the air and start up BIG activity this fall. Like it or not, we will be entering our "swan-song" radio era soon. These ARE the good old days of radio for most of us on this BB.  Enjoy them now, while we can. We might as well go out with a bang over the next decade or two. Let's get some lively action going this fall!

T

Tommy,
           You may very well be right. The HF bands turn into a vast empty wasteland during the summer, and haven't been much better. We need to get on and raise a little hell this fall.
We have lost some of the key players this year. And it is very saddening. I, myself have died once and came within an inch of dying again this year. Damn it, it's about time we all get in there and have some fun before the time comes that either we can't or there is noone else on to do it with. I'm with ya, brother! ! ! ! ! !

As far as my junque goes, I dont too much worry about it. If I'm dead, what the hell do I care what happens to it. I wont be around to know or care. However my wife is a ham and knows how to operate my junque if she really wants to. And, furthermore if something should happen to both of us, the fellow that I have chosen to be the executor of our estate is also a ham. And for a 3rd back up plan, I have made a pact with another ham that if one of us dies before the other, the survivor will liquidate the ham gear estate for the surviving widow and forward the proceeds on to her.  So, I wont be around to worry about it, and also I do have reassurance that it will go on to someone that will at least appreciate it.

But the bottom line is what the hell do I care if I'm dead, I cant use it anway.................

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 01:10:50 PM »

...actually, at the moment the way they seem to be getting trying to get people to get their license is by focusing on EMCOMM as if it's the only thing that exists.

IOW, whackers and shacks-on-a-belt. The entire current issue of QST is devoted to EMCOMM.

http://www.whackerusa.com/lights.html

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
KA3ZLR
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 02:48:22 PM »

Here's My Opinion:

Well when ya find some youngerfolks and Parents that want to apply themselves let me know..
Because a lot of Parents see this as trouble, to much werk and effort, THE EXPENSE..I went through this before Cancer and others are afraid of the Voltage their children getting hurt The Club here WACOM puts on a show up at the mall...it's Embarrassing...people walk by like ..What are you..lol

So here we are the children aren't interested weather for expense,Voltage,hard werk,radio just doesn't impress them....they're not growing up like we did...it's all S.S push button video..man...

I told my wife when I go get ahold of WACOM club and let them sell it off or keep it..that was when I had things here I was concerned with as I have sold the most part all that's left is the S.S. Stuff.

AND FOR HER NOT TO LET IN THE SK Chasers....friggin animals.. Grin

It's a Shame but what exactly are you gona do...

Jack
KA3ZLR

WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 02:48:48 PM »

I seldom participate in this saccharine kind of stuff, but I seriously disagree with the assertion:

The memory of you will fade within a generation or two,
except for your written, published words.
Written words can live forever.

Audio and video recordings, and archival websites such as YouTube are today's repository for "writings" of which the author speaks.

I've got recordings of some of you guys that we all will cherish when you're gone. Some of this audio is already out there, as we note the passing of some of the AM Tall Ships the past 20 years or so.

Help the archive.  Get your recording capabilities up and running ahead of this Fall/Winter radio season.  As always, there's a lot of good radio out there. Enjoy it now AND enjoy it later.
KL7OF

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 06:07:37 PM »

I plan to get on a lot this winter from Tum Tum,WA.....More late night stuff..I think last winter I only worked into the east coast crowd a couple times...JJ Tom I think we only talked one time...I was active several times a week on 20 AM last winter but mostly worked the rice box crowd...I see a few on this board are getting excited about 20 again..With all that goes on in my life, I don't have time to worry about what will happen to my gear when I'm gone...I'm not sure that I care...Most all of my stuff is homebrew and franken radio anyhow..It would be nice if it continued to be used but not likely....I applaud those of you who can generate interest in and promote AM ham radio but sadly I'm not that guy...
KA3ZLR
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:44:23 PM »

Are we "Saccharineing"...LOL Cool

Jack
KA3ZLR
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 09:01:02 PM »

Good topic.  A couple years ago we had an employee club fair where I work.   Every club had a table setup near the cafeteria at lunch time.  I was at the ham radio table along with another guy.  One of the other clubs was the model airplane club--you know, large scale models, radio control, pretty sophisticated models these days, some with cameras in them and all that.  I happened to know one of the guys in the airplane club so I went over to chat.  I asked him if kids were interested in building and flying model airplanes.  He shook his head with a frown.  "No, no kids; just us old guys."  I told him ham radio was in the same shape it seemed and asked him what he thought about it.  He said, "Everything has its day.  In the broad window of history, things come in and fade out.  Ultimately you can't really do anything about it.   Eventually we'll join ice boxes, parlor games, pin hole cameras, the pony express and telegrams as things that either don't exist or are barely around like sacred harp singing.  Just enjoy it before it disappears." 

I hate to say it  but I think he's right.  We can pass on our parts and gear but to whom.  Eventually there will be three AMers who will need warehouses to hold everything and no hope of using it all.  Okay that's an exaggeration (I hope).  I like the idea of hams arranging to have trusted local hams or one or two hams within driving distance handle the ham radio part of an estate.  That is the best option.  Try telling a family member who has no interest in radio at all that this modulation reactor or the Lapp ceramic base insulator are important damn it, and you'll get amused patronizing smiles--look at kooky uncle Rob...you have to find AMers who know what the stuff is and have a passion for it to have some assurance it will fall into good hands. 

It's still possible to get kids interested in ham radio.  I know a ham who is a teacher with many ex-students who are now adult hams.  I asked him at the last hamfest how you get kids interested in ham radio.   He said the key thing is to get their interest when they are too young to be interested in cars and girls.  7th grade seems to be the right age according to him.  That's old enough to appreciate it but still not old enough to start getting distracted by cars, beer and girls.   

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 09:47:09 PM »

Good post, Rob.

Yes, 7th grade is a good time to get into radio. That's when I started out too. Once 10th grade came around, I got a car and ignored radio until the mid-college days. Radio could not compete with the hot babes. Get 'em while you can.

You mentioned the airplane models, R/C stuff and kids not being interested in building them.  I think most every hobby that requires building is lacking young people these days. I remember this subject always came up at the telescope star party building / mirror making events. They would talk about how many kids they got to grind out a mirror. Guys were always talking about new ways to get them interested in building scopes. But as you can expect, most kids wanted to buy ready-made store scopes. That's the way it is these days.

The Stellafane star party (VT) people looked much like any ham event, age-wise. In fact there were MANY hams there as shown by the HT's and ham badges. Very few kids walking around - just like the ham fleas. These are 'OT' hobbies.

As you said, things come and go. I'll bet it was the same trend anywhere in history where technology advanced quickly. But if technology stays stagnant, then the kids might make the same style bows, arrowheads and stone tools for thousand's of years and be happy about it... :-)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 11:37:22 PM »

There are plenty of "young" people entering the hobby.  But they're 40-50-60 instead of 12.  I see plenty of these guys with a spark of interest in boatanchors, building, etc.

What the ham community as a whole needs to do is discard the bitterness directed towards how these new hams got their license, welcome them in QSOs, and show them how fun the hobby really is.  If that's done, the hobby will be self-replenishing with middle aged guys who already have a wife/GF and having wheels isn't a new thing - and they have the disposable income to pursue it.

Unfortunately judging from comments on internet forums and what I've heard on the air, this isn't going to happen any time soon.  The cliqueishness of many "nets" and downright condescension showed to many new hams (the "you didn't learn CW" and "an Extra that can't build a dipole" comments) WILL be the death of our hobby unless these attitudes change.  Few of us entered the hobby with innate knowledge - especially when we were 12.  Many of these new hams - while perhaps not ham radio experts from the gitgo - are interesting to talk to and are experts in other areas such as cars, machining, computers, etc. 

As for the "stuff", I don't worry about it nor do I care.  It's just "stuff".  By nature I hate waste so I wouldn't want to see it in a landfill but then when I'm gone I won't be around to see it either.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:04:34 AM »

Agreed you are not born with the knowledge of how to build a simple dipole, but wouldn't that normally be something you would have been exposed to as you were developing an interest in amateur radio, and would have figured out before you sat for the Extra?

- - -
W2NBC
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 01:16:58 AM »

Legacy; a very interesting topic that has been dormant in the minds of all of us..
The BEST way to promote any interest in this hobby and more importantly the historical significance of AM and its inherent quality is to OPERATE on the AIR.. Tonight in the dreaded "AM Window" on 3875 a group in the Northeast was on for many hours.. from 6PM- 12:45 AM.. I KNOW the band was open to other areas as KG8LB was very loud with his AF-67 from Michigan early in the evening.. Very little static and excellent copy with 35 Watts to New Jersey.. Now I love this site, and the contributers' insight.. BUT.. Waiting until "FALL" doesn't cut it. If anyone here is worried about the legacy of beloved gear and the mode that this SITE promotes, then bone up , fire up, and get on the air .. NOW and all season long..

Hope to hear from you on the air,

Jeff W2NBC

Vintage Radio Pages- http://www.dealamerica.com
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 02:25:42 AM »

Well said, Jeff. Was just discussing this with Steve last week. It seems more and more folks are spending their time online discussing the things they used to discuss on the air. Or otherwise posting unrelated stuff just for the sake of posting, it seems. One thing I've noticed: many of the folks I speak with on the air either aren't members here, or aren't prolific posters in the QSO section.

I suspect none of us got interested in amateur radio or AM via the internet. Virtually everyone I know discovered AM by being on the air or listening via an old radio with shortwave bands. How could any newbies possibly be interested in our mode by reading the QSO section here, or hanging out on QRZ?

The topic of our 'legacy' or the future of this hobby has been flogged to death here and elsewhere over the years. Old news, really. The only thing that has changed is fewer people operating on the air. Not sure how that's going to improve things.

I will say though, that as well as the northeast, VE land, and midwest come booming in down here, most nights have horrendous static which is far worse than anything I experienced up north. Last night we had severe storms and the night before was 20-40 over constant static on 75/80m. To work around that, the higher bands like 40 and above should be an improvement until things quiet down some. Aside from work and family responsibilities, there's really no reason not to operate if that's what matters to you.

One thing is certain, as Johnny says: the elitist mentality isn't at all inviting to anyone with an interest in the mode, or hobby overall. Who wants to hang around a bunk of cranky old guys who talk down to them constantly because they didn't learn CW, or use terminology that the 'experts' don't approve of? Sure, it's harder to set a good example and shepard newer members along rather than pissing and moaning. Most things worth doing usually are.

As Dave 'ZRF used to say, "you're either online or on the air".

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 03:24:29 AM »

Legacy; a very interesting topic that has been dormant in the minds of all of us..
The BEST way to promote any interest in this hobby and more importantly the historical significance of AM and its inherent quality is to OPERATE on the AIR.. Tonight in the dreaded "AM Window" on 3875 a group in the Northeast was on for many hours.. from 6PM- 12:45 AM.. I KNOW the band was open to other areas as KG8LB was very loud with his AF-67 from Michigan early in the evening.. Very little static and excellent copy with 35 Watts to New Jersey.. Now I love this site, and the contributers' insight.. BUT.. Waiting until "FALL" doesn't cut it. If anyone here is worried about the legacy of beloved gear and the mode that this SITE promotes, then bone up , fire up, and get on the air .. NOW and all season long..

Hope to hear from you on the air,

Jeff W2NBC

You guys were my entertainment most of the evening while I was working in the shack. Great signals on my very smug radio.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA3ZLR
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2011, 03:31:56 AM »

Welp, all this is nice sitting here but in real life I like when they say Hey...Those are funny looking CB antennas you have on your house... Grin and what's all that wire up in your trees for..I Like Electric Trees..LOL

And then you tell'em and then they're stumped..I had the Flooring guy up and redid my kitchen floor and he was just amazed you build these antennas..? Yup...How..?..LOL..Well..,Piece by Piece..LOL

Hey I'm not feeling bad about any of this if folks want to join they join if they don't it's not a
problem man... I like the idea about writing and recording as much as can be done and stored Properly.

But I'm Not gona stand in front of Radio Shack any more passing out handouts...NOPE..
that ain't happenen...

Jack
KA3ZLR

KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2011, 03:33:30 AM »

I think the biggest threat still remains: Someday in the future, maybe 20-30 years away, we will tune the bands and hear mostly atmospheric static.

Except for Myself talking to Brandon, K5IIA as we approach our retirment.. *grin*

Seriously this is a great thread.  I turn 45 this month, so I hopefully will have others my age and younger into my golden years still doing the boatanchors.  This summer has been really slow for AM.  I sure hope the autumn months change in that respect.

But what the heck, I'm going to throw more CQs out there every chance I get.

John KX5JT

AMI#1684
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2011, 06:41:15 AM »

The BEST way to promote any interest in this hobby and more importantly the historical significance of AM and its inherent quality is to OPERATE on the AIR.. Tonight in the dreaded "AM Window" on 3875 a group in the Northeast was on for many hours..

Same thing on 3885; big group extending from the northern midwest down into Louisiana and Alabama, KY and Tenn.  low QRN and good propagation.  At one point Steve KC4SSB was about 30 dB over 9 with a DX100 and Brandon K5IIA was booming in on his phased dipoles.

I tuned down around 3705 - 3725 hoping to find a clear spot to call CQ but it was all SSB so I went back and joined the crowd.

We have at last, been enjoying a pretty big high pressure center over the n. midwest so we have been having clear fairly storm-free wx and low noise.  It's supposed to last for a few more days I think.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2011, 09:18:56 AM »

It would seem that most popular hobbies have

1) Something to DO that's interesting, challenging, fulfilling and possibly educational
2) Often have a competitive aspect to it (IE chess, shooting, horse back riding, etc)
3) Have a social component
4) Have a reasonable cost of entry
5) Require, at least at first, only reasonable knowledge or knowledge that can be reasonably acquired

Ham radio can have all of these aspects, but we - at least most AMers are not putting our best foot forward.

Here's an example.  My younger son is a computer ENGINEERING major (he gets both electrical engineering and computer science).

They are teaching him about everything solid state and current because that's the real world.  He is in the mainstream.  His interest in ham radio will not be fooling around with antiques, rather it will be taking his knowledge of electronics and contemporary components, and applying them to radio communication.

The solid state rig and the software defined radios ARE in his mainstream.  My son's FIRST project at college was to build a robot using a PIC microprocessor.  This is their world.  He learned about pulse width modulators, power supplies, MOSFETs, transformers, microprocessors, software and more.  He came back from his first year understanding pulse width modulation, and asked me if that's the same pulse width modulation I use in my rigs.  I said it is.

He now has enough skills to build a solid state transmitter and he also doesn't think it's very hard!!!

How many of us here on this BB use pulse width modulation or modern components?  Not many.  But, for my son and his compatriots, this is the NATURAL way to do it because that's the world they're in and the world we're in.

If we put forth projects that use current day components and methods, and aren't too expensive, some of these young people will be attracted to our hobby because it offers all the things that a good hobby offers.  I just don't see any but a VERY VERY TINY fraction of young people being interested in 60+ year old technology, and that's what we are largely pushing in the AM community.

I'm not saying the old stuff is bad, but it is what it is - old - and from a past that's so far distant, the young people (under 30) - and often their PARENTS weren't even BORN - and a lot of the stuff was old THEN.  It is definitely NOT the reality of people who are attending college or even tech school today, or even in the past 2 decades.  And THESE are the people who are our potential future hams.

Nobody asked me - just my opinion  Wink

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KA3ZLR
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2011, 09:31:51 AM »

Here's what we did when I was a member of WACOM, some of us would set up in front
of a radio shack set up a rice box hf set hand out leaflets try to talk to people we would
also run adds in the local paper for testing classes we'd also show up at town events with
the HT's in hand.. Grin ..and in would come CBers wanting to upgrade some older guys would
show up maybe class sizes back them any where from 10 to 20 bodies and about 40 percent would pass,.. after the CW Issue about 90 percent would pass. I was involved in quit a few classes an after awhile I faded out I got kids the wife needs help worken 10 12 hours a day 5 days a week and so on. let some new members help, and that in it's self is another problem
some members working overkill for the club and other members sitten on their asses to much Poloticks for me.

I have no idea what the classes are like today with the club but I imagine it's about the
same there's still groups of CB'ers arond here and every year some would come in and
take the tests.

Today I have my own personal issues to deal with and I ain't involved at all.

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2011, 10:03:44 AM »

What people are saying is almost completely true.

My point is different.

My point is to go out and expose ham radio to those who might be interested. It is irrelevant if 98% of all the kids today are disinterested. How many kids were into ham radio when I was a kid? Just a handful. Sure, it will be lower, fewer today. That's not the point. The point is that you can open the door. You can be the mentor to somebody. You can make things happen.

Sometimes you have merely planted a seed that grows later, sometimes it sprouts now. Plant no seeds, nothing grows, it never bears any fruit.

If you do NOTHING, then NOTHING HAPPENS. A self fulfilling prophecy?

As I suggested before, pick up a phone, talk to your local "middle school" principals and get ur arse over to a room full of kids and talk about this weird stuff that is antique and that their grandfather (you) might have used, and why it is so cool when everyone has a iphone!!

One excuse is as good as another... eh?

_-_-bear

PS. for some odd reason RPI still has a ham radio club, and still seems to have almost exactly the same number of participating college age hams every year... wonder what that means?

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KA3ZLR
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2011, 10:33:15 AM »

Putting our best foot forward right on man ...but when ya can't even walk up a flight
a stairs with out sucken wind in like an air compressor...it get's a little challenging.. Smiley..

Hey Bear I liked that Almost Completely Right... Grin awesome...

Jack
KA3ZLR
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015