The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 09:29:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking to The Future....  (Read 27838 times)
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2011, 11:32:29 AM »

Putting our best foot forward right on man ...but when ya can't even walk up a flight
a stairs with out sucken wind in like an air compressor...it get's a little challenging.. Smiley..

Hey Bear I liked that Almost Completely Right... Grin awesome...

Jack
KA3ZLR

Jack, I said - "almost completely true".

In the meantime, what's keeping ANY of you from setting up a video camera and making a short video that INTRODUCES your love and appreciation of the hobby on youtube??

Now, you don't have to go OUT, and you don't have to stand up in front of live people.

Since the younger set (myself included) spends a fair amount of time watching stuff on youtoobe, maybe THAT is a way to have a positive effect??

(...now that I made this brilliant observation and post, I may just have to take my own advice and do just this!!)

Oh, and by the way, youtoobe is low res, so you don't need a "good" camera, and you don't need slick edits...

Ok, so what's ur excuse for doing nothing now?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
KA3ZLR
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2011, 11:34:54 AM »

Hi Bear.. Smiley I liked the way your worded that ,that's' why I used it, Well said O.M.

Jack
KA3ZLR
WA1GFZ

« Reply #52 on: August 17, 2011, 11:40:45 AM »

then there is mode snobbery. Heck I've been running CW on 600m and find it fun.
WBear2GCR

« Reply #53 on: August 17, 2011, 11:44:17 AM »

tnx jack...

regardless, a large number of us just shooting shots of the shack - messy or NOT, and talking while moving the camera, dumping it to digital, and then up to youtoobe would (especially if the titles of the vids all used the same phrase so they pop up and can be found together?) be a very good thing. It would also archive to some extent what is going on "back in the shack" here in 2011.

(for example: "AM Ham Shack - <ur video name here>")

It would also be SEEN by potential hams, who don't even know they are potential hams yet. Younger people in the main.

Of course you could choose to put ur MUG into a shot or two, or have ur XYL or someone local hold the camera while you do the "dog and pony show"...

Just remember to ESTABLISH the scene with a wide shot or a slow sweep, even a shot of the outside as well, before getting into closeups of dials and knobs, tubes and parts... things get claustrophobic in video if you don't give people a context first... fyi, fwiw etc...

Someone could post up a new thread (a sticky moderators?) on video FAQ and also how to transfer and upload to Youtoobe... not sure how youtobbe is set up on the upload side, but maybe a few could help out by actually uploading and/or controlling a single account where all the vids would be published??

Now, how's that for an idea??

_-_-

WBear2GCR

« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »

And... now that I am thinking about it in this way... there are a number of hams who are pros in the TV and video field. Perhaps others have kids or family that has and do video editing on the home PC too... Perhaps one or more might volunteer or be persuaded to take the raw vids and do some editing and titles, effects, etc... for us.

Send email or disc with the raw vids - pop - out comes slick youtoobe AM Ham Shack videos!!

Cheesy

_-_-bear

kg8lb
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2011, 01:18:16 PM »

then there is mode snobbery. Heck I've been running CW on 600m and find it fun.

Try to check in to almost any phone net using CW on 75  Roll Eyes  You will be plastered with bunch of CB slang and accused of kwerming the net ! There are a few old timer type nets in operation that welcome CW check ins.
  Have checked in to the DB net here in Michigan with AM dead zero beat with net control . Had no SSB gear so we used the Viking 500. Once someone realized we were on AM they were actually quite happy to have an AM check in. Not one of those fellows complained. Try that on most other nets and stand back !
 In the days when Canadian amateurs had phone privs below our phone band I often checked in to their nets with CW. They were always cordial and accomodating and actually enjoyed the change of pace.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2011, 02:55:20 PM »

In the days when Canadian amateurs had phone privs below our phone band I often checked in to their nets with CW. They were always cordial and accomodating and actually enjoyed the change of pace.

Actually, Canadian amateurs still have phone privileges below our phone band. They can legally operate phone all the way down to 3500, but since the most recent US phone band expansions, Canadians seem to generally follow the US sub-band restrictions on a voluntary basis. This is even true on 40m where the US sub-band structure results in a large swathe of nearly unused spectrum in the middle of the band (7060-7125) with little audible activity using any mode, phone or non-phone.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
kg8lb
« Reply #57 on: August 18, 2011, 06:11:01 AM »

Actually, Canadian amateurs still have phone privileges below our phone band. They can legally operate phone all the way down to 3500, but since the most recent US phone band expansions, Canadians seem to generally follow the US sub-band restrictions on a voluntary basis. This is even true on 40m where the US sub-band structure results in a large swathe of nearly unused spectrum in the middle of the band (7060-7125) with little audible activity using any mode, phone or non-phone.

Yes, I understand. I don't know of any Canadian nets that are regulars in the US CW portion of the band however. They may be around but I have not heard them.  The point is that cross mode operation phone to CW was no problem with most OT US hams and the Canadians were very open and accomodating. Now days US hams seem unwilling or more likely unable to copy a CW check-in . The responses nowdays are often quite negative to a CW op. There are quite a few SSB stations now using CW auto ID machines. Trying to contact some of them using CW can bring on some very interesting responses indeed . (3892 KC )
Finding unused band space is not really a problem . After all the subject of the thread regards diminishing use .  Wink
 Besides, it is quite nice operating CW without all the splash and splatter from the phone boys .  Wink

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #58 on: August 18, 2011, 01:40:11 PM »

Another problem with cross-mode operation now is that CW is no longer a licensing requirement in Canada or the US, so many of the ops in the phone nets never learnt to copy CW to begin with, so you might just as will try breaking in speaking Arabic or Japanese.

However, some of the CW you hear over the air is being sent with keyboards and received with computer operated code readers. I recall a thread on the CW Reflector a couple of years ago claiming that code readers are unable to copy code sent with a sideswiper, and that they are poor at copying code sent with a bug, unless it is perfectly adjusted.

I even remember a similar thread on QRZ.com in which some were complaining that it was "unethical" to use those kinds of keys over the air now, since it would prevent the code-reader guys from answering your calls and therefore was a form of "snobbery".  Roll Eyes

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA3ZLR
« Reply #59 on: August 18, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »

The Future is Scary Wink

Well I know this much, if the floor walkers in Manhattan don't quit the crap
Amateur Radio we'll be on the end of my list of importance. Smiley

Jack
KA3ZLR
K3ZS

« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2011, 02:52:46 PM »

I remember before the latest phone expansion on 80m,  I used to listen to the Canadian AMers on 3725.   I admired their clear frequency as compared to the heterodynes around 3885 and the constant whining from the 3992 group.   When word got out about the US phone expansion, the Canadian AMers were worried about the future of their clear frequency.   Some were contemplating moving their phone group into the 3500 range.   None of that
came about and the group on 3725 welcomed their US AMer friends to their group.
kg8lb
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2011, 02:59:58 PM »

Yessir, Al, Tim, Gord and the bunch are very welcoming to all . Good place to listen or key up.

As for the keyers: Yes there are a few of those but most indeed copy quite well without need for a cornpooter to do it for them. There are many that use a keyboard for TX but head copy well at very high speeds.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015