The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:06:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW IT'S HOT!!!  (Read 26329 times)
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2011, 08:00:11 AM »

Just off the plane from London vacation where people were wearing raincoats and even the odd winter jacket - wet and cold over there. You simply pack a raincoat and an umbrella everywhere you walk. Top be fair we did have a couple of nice days where it was sunny and hit the low 80's. That was an event and people came out to bask in Hyde park.

Nice to see a country with politics and and currency more messed up than ours but that is not saying much.

Imagine my surprise at Logan in Boston Thursday afternoon.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
K5WLF
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »

It's been over 100° here in Stephenville, TX every day for nearly a month. The grass is crunchy and my friends that are running stock are having to feed hay months earlier than usual. And the cost of hay is outrageous this year since the hay farmers only got one cutting instead of two or three. Working outside is almost impossible except early in the morning.

I'm leaving out Wednesday for 3 weeks in Co. Donegal, Ireland, where the high temp's been running in the high 50s and low 60s and it's been raining a lot. Sure is going to be a nice break from the heat.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2011, 07:01:41 PM »

and the hay we cut this year, well lets just say there was some of it that was just plain garbage. but back in 2009 we had baled up a whole barnfull of it, and was really running out of room for all of it, then in 2010 we couldnt do any at all because the trucks wouldnt come and get it because no one seemed to want any, this spring we finally were able to get rid of the stuff we had from 2009, then baled another barnfull this year and still have some that had to stay on wagons due to the barn being as full as we could get it. hopefully we will get rid of it sooner this year.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
ve6pg

« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »

..still hot/humid here in ve3...*might* get some t-storms tonight, but they have said that for 4 weeks, and nothing at all...grass is brown, and the river is down, but refreshing for a dip, to cool off..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 12:51:15 PM »

Yes, it finally cooled down here in Allbaloney, NY. It used to be the first two weeks of July that were bad as far as relative humidity  are concerned. It seems like it was about two weeks late but now I think it will dry out. It's only five months to Christmas and I CAN WAIT.

Poor old 51 watt Fred must be almost dead with his temperature of 154 degrees in the Garden state.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
k3sqp

« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 02:30:07 PM »

I was on a fishin/campin(tent) trip in Northern PA last week>102 in nearest
town. I finally figgered fishin out,forget the flies,lures or bait.Got a bag of ice,
dumped it in the crick and the trout surrenderd Also was glad I took along some
"negative" logs...throw them in the fire and they give off cold....I sold the rest of the logs
for 100 bucks each...
Nice trip
Frank
K3SQP

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 05:05:52 PM »

Hot here too, Frank. Even for the south. Not as bad this weekend, but Friday was a bit odd. Temp stayed around 100 all day, even through the hottest part of the afternoon. Then around 6:30 at night, it shot up to 104 or so. Never seen anything like it.

Otherwise, it's just another summer day in paradise here.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2011, 08:51:59 AM »

MAN..................... I want some of those "Negative Logs"! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Night time lows still in the 90s is just too friggin hot! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2011, 06:24:50 PM »

Hottest day of the year so far in Big D today at 106 F. Summer in the south yee ha !!!  Cool Tongue

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
K5WLF
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 11:09:03 PM »

Hottest day of the year so far in Big D today at 106 F. Summer in the south yee ha !!!  Cool Tongue

I logged 113° F at my house in Stephenville today. About 100 miles WSW of Big D. Way too hot for man or beast. I'm leaving out for Ireland at 0600 Wednesday and it'll probably take the entire three weeks I'm there to get my core temperature back to normal. They've been having highs in the high 50s and low 60s with a lot of rain. Wish I could take an HF rig with me. My friend's house is right on the ocean and I could probably get back to the US on the FT-897D with a 5-BTV planted in the front yard. [Yeah, it'd be slopbucket ;-(] But I'm traveling light this time, so maybe next time for the ham gear. Can't wait for the fresh Guinness!
KD0HUX

« Reply #60 on: July 25, 2011, 11:18:27 PM »

I KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN WHEN  THEY SO THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER Cry
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #61 on: July 25, 2011, 11:23:19 PM »

I KNOW WHAT THEY MEAN WHEN  THEY SO THE DOG DAYS OF SUMMER Cry

It seems like May was just about 5 minutes ago. Time goes by too fast Angry Angry Angry Angry

I guess it true, the older you get , the faster time fly's!

KE6DF

« Reply #62 on: July 25, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »

Here in Central California (Sacramento) we have had a very cool Spring and early summer.

We have only had one week of hot 100+ weather and that was back in mid June.

Today the high was less than 90 and the low was 56, for example.

For some reason we are having a very different weather patter this year than most of the Central part of the country.

We also had about 150% of normal rainfall and snow pack last winter.

K5WLF
« Reply #63 on: July 25, 2011, 11:53:58 PM »

Here in Central California (Sacramento) we have had a very cool Spring and early summer.

We have only had one week of hot 100+ weather and that was back in mid June.

Today the high was less than 90 and the low was 56, for example.

For some reason we are having a very different weather patter this year than most of the Central part of the country.

We also had about 150% of normal rainfall and snow pack last winter.

Wow! That's a really cool summer for y'all. I lived for about 20 years in Greeley Hill. 72 miles east of Modesto on 132 to Coulterville, then 8 miles up the hill on J20. We hardly ever got over 80 in the summer at 3200', but going down the hill to the valley was pure torture. Temps over 100 were the norm in the Merced, Modesto, Stockton run. Y'all are getting off easy this year. Enjoy.

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2011, 01:51:10 PM »

The WX is hi hi FB here today! ! ! !

Nasty bunch of crashers and bangers came through here yesterday afternoon and broke the back of this heatwave! ! Currently 89deg with low humididdity. It's actually very comfortable if you are out of the sun. Tonite after supper might be a good night to play with some engines out in the garage! (need an engine fix)

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2011, 02:04:27 PM »

I wuz listening to the local crowd on 75 last night and was surprised how quiet the band was. That didn't last too long, around 11 PM crash bang boom fart went the airways.

It's been nice the last two days. No air conditioned at night to sleep by. It's nice to have it when you need it but I would rather not have it at all. I guess if you live in the SW you need it most of the time.

I remember when I lived at Ft Hood, TX we had a water fall type air conditioner in the barracks. I never did figure out where the water came from and how it was cooled. Anyone know how those old systems worked?

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2011, 03:31:30 PM »

I remember when I lived at Ft Hood, TX we had a water fall type air conditioner in the barracks. I never did figure out where the water came from and how it was cooled. Anyone know how those old systems worked?

Do you mean the chiller type or the "swamp cooler"? 
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2011, 04:48:24 PM »

Do you mean the chiller type or the "swamp cooler"?

All I remember about it was when you got up close to the unit inside the barracks, you could hear and see water cascading down over some tubes. There was a blower hooked up to it and it keep the whole place cool and probably added moisture to the dry air we had there.

I sure miss those days. That was around 1959 before I shipped out to Korea. I was in the 720th Military Police unit as a radio man. The radio man part was secondary, they made me a MP and I did desk duty at the MP post guarding tempt prisoners in holding cells etc. About a year before I got there our unit arrested Elvis for speeding on post. We had his papers in a file there. I wonder what that stuff would be worth today?

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2011, 04:52:02 PM »

"  About a year before I got there our unit arrested Elvis for speeding on post.  "

~  Jail House Rock

hmmmmm

could it be??

What? Me worry?
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015