The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:58:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WOW IT'S HOT!!!  (Read 26330 times)
W2PFY
Contributing

« on: July 21, 2011, 01:54:44 PM »

It's 97 up here in Albany. I don't know if that's a record or not but it's too hot to do anything. I noticed the bananas we got at the store yesterday were green and now they are completely yellow on their rack on the kitchen table.

While we have AC upstairs, I'm down here in my assigned spot in the cellar dungeon with just a fan on me. It's 85 down here.

I guess youse guys in the SW are used to this but we have the Relative Humidity to go with it Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 02:02:27 PM »

99 as right now here in Baltimore, calling for a high of 100.
101 for tomorrow's high and possibly 103 on Saturday

Good days to hibernate down in the dungeon and build something..............

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
KA2DZT

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 02:17:03 PM »

Here in sunny central NJ it's 135 degrees.  Wow!! that's hot Shocked
KE5YTV
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:35:20 PM »

I found out what our problem is here in Texas. I saw a post on a web site that said that everyone in Texas is a stupid conseritive Republican teapartier and God is punishing us by burning Texas to a crisp. We just thought it was a usual summer.  Grin Grin Grin

Mike
KE5YTV  Dallas, TX
"The longest trip begins with a stop at the ATM."
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 02:40:32 PM »

Here, it's been running in the mid to upper 90s all week, with high humidity, "heat index" of 101-110 degrees.

I have been doing my usual summer work on the exterior of the house, as well as the transmission line project I just completed. Normally, I can bite the bullet and get up right at sunrise and get in some work while it is still cool in the morning, but lately, it has been too warm and muggy in early morning.  Since the current house work is on the north side, I have found the most comfortable time of day to work is mid-day, between about 11 AM and 4 PM.  I am in the shade then, the humidity seems to drop in the middle part of the day, and this weather system seems to be bringing in a steady westerly breeze. Early morning and late afternoon, I get hit by the sun as well as mugginess and a lack of any breeze.

I have been guzzling carbonated water (sodas that come in a regular can without the sugar and all the toxic fake ingredients).  That quiches my thirst and cuts down the beer consumption thus making it safer to climb around on ladders.

Incredibly, the highest temperatures in the nation the past few days have been in the upper mid-west, reportedly peaking above 110 real degrees.

People are undoubtedly saying this proves that global warming is a demonstrated fact.  This winter, after we have our first intense cold snap, we'll be hearing the same level of noise about proof that global warming is a hoax.  Wink

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 02:46:44 PM »

it wouldnt be so bad here if it wasnt so humid, iit was supposed to be 100 today but with the humidity it is to feel like 110-115 degrees. i could stand dry heat better than humid heat, its been a couple of years since we had a somewhat dry summer.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Lou W9LRS
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 02:59:54 PM »

About the same in Chicago 100 f at 2 pm 109 index. We may get some relief  tonight with storms forecast.

Lou
W9LRS
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:04:25 PM »

98 outside, 72-78 in the downstairs of the house with just one 18K AC unit covering an 80' length, and 71 deep in the well insulated, down in blasted rock, basement which never goes below 55 in the winter.

Carl
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »

Reading about our present heat wave here in Albany, the last time the mercury hit 100 was in 1953. It hit 100 three times that year. That was truly the start of GW!

Jim, W5JO

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2011, 03:23:29 PM »

Welcome to the oven guys and gals.  We have had over 25 days with 100+ temps here and the one that broke the string has been 2 days of 99.  Humidity here runs about 50% in the morning to near 25% in the afternoon.

I am erecting my self supporting tower and I get to work from about 6:30 AM till about noon then it is lunch and siesta time.  Our heat pump has never worked since installation last Decemberer when we finished building the house so it has been in the low to mid 80s inside.  The good news is they are replacing the outdoor unit completely, the bad news is we have no temperature relief in sight for the next 7 days for sure.

I hope you guys don't have the effects we are suffering here.  If you work outside, what ever you do take frequent breaks and drink a lot of water.  Don't guzzle Gatoraid, you can get your electrolytes out of balance.  Be moderate with it.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2011, 03:48:12 PM »

What's amazing to me is how people are acting like it has never been this hot before!!
I remember the July of '72 here in Ohio temps hit mid 90's the day we started double session workouts for football and stayed there for 10 days straight. Talk about sweating the spring outta my body!!!

It's happened before and it'll happen again,folks!

Good luck to you in Texas, Jim! In '05 I was on a tower job in Bolivia and it was 105 by noon. Almost too hot to handle steel baby!
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2011, 03:54:11 PM »

Ahhhhh... I wondered when the opportunity would present itself. How time flies!

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=26580.0

It's about 92 degrees here with steam in the air. It's usually about 8 degrees cooler up here, so I pity the poor souls in Hartford at sea level... Shocked

T

* YazPics 121.jpg (336.51 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 389 times.)

* YazPics 133.jpg (319.3 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 399 times.)

* YazPics 147.jpg (330.27 KB, 1280x960 - viewed 394 times.)

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »

The next news event will be the electrical grid is glowing red wires sagging to the ground and brown-outs.

This was our experience during our visit to the Philippines last year..........EVERYDAY

And Don, The 'Global Warming" is the extremes of weather gone wild, not necessarily hotter Summers and warmer Winters.

Fred KC4MOP
WA1GFZ

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 04:31:17 PM »

This week last year was just as hot but I was on the west coast and it was 75.
The world is coming to an end send me your money so I can get the word out.
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2011, 04:40:21 PM »

It's happened before and it'll happen again,folks!

Good luck to you in Texas, Jim! In '05 I was on a tower job in Bolivia and it was 105 by noon. Almost too hot to handle steel baby!

You are correcto mundo Buddly, in 98 I believe the temps in this part of the country exceeded 100 degrees for more than 50 days straight.  You have seen the pictures of the dust storms in the 30s, well there was another shorter version in the early to mid 50s when the temps went high and stayed that way for quite a while.

Couple all that with 35+ winds and we had dust storms to rival the 30s in SW Oklahoma for about 4 years consecutive.  To me, this is just an irritation compared to isolated times past.   

Ah ha Bovina,  Wonderful place.  I owned the MSS and mobile phone service in Hereford from 1979 till 83.  The local rural telephone cooperative bought the operation but not before I got to know Bovina, Friona, Dimmitt, Easter and Vega. 105 in the shade in that part of the country is not bad, but anything in the sun will fry your hands if you touch it. 

My last encounter with a rattler was 10 North of Vega at a tower site.  He had lost his rattlers and I didn't know he was there until I happened to notice movement out of the corner of my eye.  He was about 3 ft. from my feet and boy, I did make tracks.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 04:42:07 PM »

And Tom's thread went 8 pages about the cold. This one probably won't go that long because people can get out to the lake, ocean, ponds, rivers and streams to avoid the heat rather than P & M ing here Grin Grin Grin

Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 06:49:05 PM »

Perfectly normal summer here in the Central Rockies up into the NW CONUS. About 200%-400% normal snow in the mountains last season.

I hate humidity!

Here's the road across Rocky Mountain National Park two weeks ago. At about 10,000-11,000 feet AMSL. On US 34. Hope it cools y'all off. XYL and I had a couple of Kamakazis (vodka-lime gimlet) and rolled in the snow.
\
No rattle snakes here above 9,000'- They'd freeze solid in the winter. Around here either the XYL dispatches them with a shovel or I get them with the S&W 686 .357 with snake shot.

* Trail_Ridge_Road_0003.JPG (44.36 KB, 640x413 - viewed 385 times.)
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 07:31:03 PM »

This week last year was just as hot but I was on the west coast and it was 75.
The world is coming to an end send me your money so I can get the word out.

Frank and Harold Camping separated at birth  Grin

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »

Been hot here all week.  I'm actually figuring out how to deal with it now that it's forecasted to drop in temp.   WX is moving East.  humidity stinks.   One thing I don't miss about Mississippi.  To me, this is the worst wx of the year.   Worse than the blizzard back in February.

On the way home from work yesterday when it was 98 out, I saw this guy running, as in exercise type running, wearing shorts, shoes and a T shirt.   What a frigging lunatic.  I've run a little when it was 85 and thought I was gg to die.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
ka1bwo

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 09:15:16 PM »

Margie and I drove through the midwest Sunday and Monday the heat was oppressive.
I never experienced  heat like that, when you got out of the AC in the car  the heat would take your breath away and felt like passing out, the dew point was in the 80s.  We made to Salt Lake on Wednesday. The high today was 92 and lows are in the 60s  dry and comfortable
Joe
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 10:01:45 PM »

Speaking of dry, we haven't had rain since early May and that was about 2".  When it is that dry here the ground develops cracks.  This year one need be careful with those under 4' and keep an eye on them when walking.

There are cracks over 10 ft long and more than 10" deep on my property.  That plays havoc on houses with poor or marginal foundations.
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 10:09:17 PM »

Perfectly normal summer here in the Central Rockies up into the NW CONUS. About 200%-400% normal snow in the mountains last season.

I hate humidity!

Here's the road across Rocky Mountain National Park two weeks ago. At about 10,000-11,000 feet AMSL. On US 34. Hope it cools y'all off. XYL and I had a couple of Kamakazis (vodka-lime gimlet) and rolled in the snow.
\
No rattle snakes here above 9,000'- They'd freeze solid in the winter. Around here either the XYL dispatches them with a shovel or I get them with the S&W 686 .357 with snake shot.

send a dump truck or two of that stuff to me, would be nice to have some snow, of course it would last maybe an hour in this heat.

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 10:21:59 PM »

Here in sorrycuze,

The 2pm   temp was 100 , the dew point was 73
The 10pm temp was 92,    the dew point was 73

There was no snow on the ground.

eat your fried livers,

klc

What? Me worry?
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38:10 PM »

Now you know what it is like...we get six months of it every year. Tongue

Typical temp in a closed car will run around 175 deg.  Tough on the upholstery...

The good thing is you don't have to shovel sunshine. Cool

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2011, 10:40:15 AM »

Seems to be a repeat of 1935-1936, global warming notwithstanding

http://www.angelfire.com/ga/mrsweather/century2.html

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015