The AM Forum
April 18, 2024, 08:47:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SSB heard on 29.000 Mhz  (Read 33983 times)
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« on: June 15, 2011, 06:55:53 PM »

I called cq a few times on 29.000 Mhz and I kept hearing some strange changing in the noise level... after a couple minutes I head what I thought might have been the squawking of SSB, so I put a rig in usb and low and behold there was a QSO going on!

Some W4 with others talking in sideband... WTF?  We really need to start occupying our call frequencies don't we?

AMI#1684
W4AAB

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 07:55:49 PM »

Turn up the wick and STRAP!! 200 watts out should do it on 10m.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 09:34:55 PM »

US Amateur Radio Frequency Allocations:
General, Advanced, Amateur Extra classes:

28.000-28.300 MHz: CW, RTTY/Data
28.300-29.700 MHz: CW, Phone, Image

Last I heard, SSB was still phone.

In another thread posters talked about going wherever the license allowed and using whatever mode was legal. Their point being, I guess, "we don't need anyone's band plan".

Tuning and VFO knobs were designed to be used. Over the years, I've worked a number of AM stations between 28.9 and 29.0 besides the typical 29.0 to 29.2.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 10:44:19 PM »

Pete, I never said SSB was NOT legal on 29.000 Mhz.  I knew someone would bring this point up, and had a feeling it would be you. Tongue

You have to admit though, with ALL the WIDE OPEN space on 10 meters, for a SSB group to squat on 29.000 is kinda..... odd.  I heard them mention a ssb net that they run on 29.000 usb. 

I'm not sure what the deal is.. why chose the 10 meter AM calling freq (by gentlmen's agreement) to gather your ssb buddies and have a ssb net?  Oh wait, they did that on 40 meters too didn't they.

AMI#1684
WS4B
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 11:01:55 PM »

Pete, I never said SSB was NOT legal on 29.000 Mhz.  I knew someone would bring this point up, and had a feeling it would be you. Tongue

What do you expect from someone who has CQ CQ Contest below their avatar? If the slop bucket want to work SSB on 29.000, that is his prerogative. Just like it is mine to QRM him with my heterodyne when he does!
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 11:14:42 PM »

No no, I'm not trying to start a war.  I'm just trying to understand the mentality of a sideband net on an AM calling frequency.  You see on 7.290 the argument can be made that 40 meters is already crowded during the day with nets so they needed someplace to gather for their traffic net...

.. .no such excuse whatsoever can be said about 29.000 Mhz other than "we can and we want to piss off AMers so we are"

That's my estimation.  So WHO is actually starting a war? Not me.

AMI#1684
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2011, 03:28:49 AM »

No one owns a frequency; if no one is using the frequency any type of phone, CW, or image transmission can start up. Maybe they started out trying AM; couldn't make the conact and switched to SSB. Maybe they were testing the propagation at 29.0  Huh Maybe they just like the quiet rush of noise at that frequency. It isn't all that unusual to find SSB that far up the band as 10 meter conditions improve. When conditions really improve, during a world-wide phone contest, you'll find SSB all the way up to 29.1. And, of course intentional QRM, either way, rolls against FCC rules.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 06:24:30 AM »

Give the bucketeers the befit of the doubt unless they are there all the time.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 09:54:39 AM »

Okay.  Maybe next time I hear them I'll try to see if they'll talk to me in AM mode.  I hate working cross-mode. 

Hey I use single sideband.  It's not like I am an AM snob, but I wouldn't squat on an AM frequency in SSB.

AMI#1684
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 10:33:59 AM »

In checking all the various band plans, including the AM Window listed frequencies, there is no designation "AM calling frequency" listed for the 10 meter band. Most just say: AM 29.0 to 29.2. Seems like fair game to me.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »

There are tons of Spanish speaking stations with Roger beeps on 29000 when the band heats up.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 07:10:37 PM »

Give the bucketeers the benifit of the doubt unless they are there all the time.

Ditto.   I suspect that they were just not aware.

There are many popular gathering spots or calling frequencies for other modes that I would bet 90% of the people on this board are not aware of.  If you or I were operating AM on or near those frequencies I hope that no one would assume any ill will on our part.

Does everyone know off the top of their heads where the SSTV,  QRP,  PSK31,  Backpack mobile, etc, etc guys hang out and avoid those frequencies ?  

--- Post No Bills ---
WS4B
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:25:54 PM »

Does everyone know off the top of their heads where the SSTV,  QRP,  PSK31,  Backpack mobile, etc, etc guys hang out and avoid those frequencies ?   

I do, I keep this list by my opearating chair. (No joke)

http://www.ac6v.com/callfreq.htm
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 07:43:27 PM »

Does everyone know off the top of their heads where the SSTV,  QRP,  PSK31,  Backpack mobile, etc, etc guys hang out and avoid those frequencies ?   

I do, I keep this list by my opearating chair. (No joke)

http://www.ac6v.com/callfreq.htm

There are other references here http://www.arrl.org/files/file/conop.pdf and here http://www.bandplans.com/index.php?band=All .  I didn't think that the second one really needed the nets listed but it is an interesting reference in case you're hearing some weird signal that you can't identify or you want some more information about something you heard.

--- Post No Bills ---
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011, 09:34:21 AM »

The point is we should be hearing A.M. on 29 Mhz!! Let's get to it! Smiley

AMI#1684
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2011, 11:36:32 AM »

I wonder if that is a local net? There is,was a net in Burlington, VT that was on SSB around 29.000 most every night. I think they could have cared less if the skip came in because is was just a local chit chat group that meet nightly.

So what can seem as a new net may be just what I described above. Of course that still gives justification to blow them off the face of the earth for going on an AM freq Grin Grin Grin Grin 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2011, 01:37:54 PM »

Of course that still gives justification to blow them off the face of the earth for going on an AM freq Grin Grin Grin Grin 

Maybe you need a copy of the "Considerate Operator's Guide"  Grin  Grin  Grin

Art
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 08:41:30 AM »

The point, I think, is if we use the AM areas more, within the rules and social morays (obvious, and well known,  to all of us but mentioned for our ARRL bot), we will both enjoy AM more and preserve the gentlemans agreements relating to frequencies. The concern for an AM calling frequency is valid considering other events that have occurred.
There will always be miscreants who knowingly interfere with ongoing communications if they can. The last three words of that sentence are key. 'hope to hear you on 10 or 2 AM.
w0ba
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 01:47:53 PM »

FCC rules state 28.3 to 29.7 MHz designated for phone and image
ARRL band plan for years has touted 29.0 to 29.2 as an AM segment
IARU Region 2 band plan shows 29.0 to 29.2 as "all modes" (AM preferred)

Our 10 meter AM segment is actually larger then some lower frequency phone segments, and, in some cases, than entire designated ham band.

Given the above band plans, a "good and considerate" operator could operate SSB on 28.990 or 29.995 MHz. A typical AM operator using a 50 or 60's type receiver, in many cases, probably couldn't tell the difference. If AM'ers are going to advocate for a 10 meter "calling frequency", if makes no sense to place it at the band plan edge.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »

29000 was not used as a calling freq.

It was a place to park the receiver to listen for activity.

All the active AM ops from the mid 70s on (when I started listening) would STAY right there and operate as long as the spot was clear. That practice worked well.

Frequency cops stick your hands on the plate cap.
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 04:43:20 AM »

Gee.  All I wanted to do was work some AM on 10 meters.  I kept reading on this website that the place to do it was 29.000 Mhz.  I was just a bit surprised to hear ssb there when there is SO much open space on 10 meters.  I am also surprised to rarely hear any AM up there on 10.  10 seems to be open more and more now when I listen but it's almost always ssb and FM phone. 

Let's hear some more AM!  Wouldn't that be great?

AMI#1684
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 05:35:37 AM »

Gee.  All I wanted to do was work some AM on 10 meters.  I kept reading on this website that the place to do it was 29.000 Mhz.  I was just a bit surprised to hear ssb there when there is SO much open space on 10 meters.  I am also surprised to rarely hear any AM up there on 10.  10 seems to be open more and more now when I listen but it's almost always ssb and FM phone. 

Let's hear some more AM!  Wouldn't that be great?

The band isn't really happening. When it is there's a lot of AM up there especially on weekends. It's a blast.

If guys really knew what they were doing they wouldn't be using ssb in the first place Grin
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 11:05:34 AM »

What was Irb's old frequency? Something like 28.746, 28.706? I think it was a well known AM frequency which was a carry over from the days before SSB.

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2011, 11:10:08 AM »

Wonder what ever happened to K7CMS.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2011, 11:17:35 AM »

Wonder what ever happened to K7CMS.

He's still listed in QRZ. Born in 1936. Maybe he still out there?

Yes it was 28,706. I think I'll try it next week when at the camp. How is it when I go up there, I never hear you.? When I'm down here, I hear you as am SWL all the time. I think you don't like me anymore Cry Cry Cry Cry

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015