The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 10:19:59 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fundamentalist Radio Extremism  (Read 23455 times)
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #50 on: May 11, 2011, 06:10:54 AM »

Closed minds are also often the smallest  Wink

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #51 on: May 11, 2011, 09:36:45 AM »

Other then old gear generally requires a lot more space and can be extremely heavy to move around; generally will eat up more electricity; because it's old, it might require more then average repair activity; because of generally much higher DC voltages, electrocution is possible if care and precaution are not taken when using or servicing; because of it's previous storage and environment, it might smell badly when powered up.

Those are all the characteristics that make it EXCITING!!!  Grin

Take it from me as one who currently runs a Yaesu box and amp--it's BORING. 

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
kg8lb
« Reply #52 on: May 11, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »

Other then old gear generally requires a lot more space and can be extremely heavy to move around; generally will eat up more electricity; because it's old, it might require more then average repair activity; because of generally much higher DC voltages, electrocution is possible if care and precaution are not taken when using or servicing; because of it's previous storage and environment, it might smell badly when powered up.

Those are all the characteristics that make it EXCITING!!!  Grin

Take it from me as one who currently runs a Yaesu box and amp--it's BORING. 

Ya know, those comments may apply better for some older operators.  The ones too old to move, maintain, safely operate or make room for older gear. By then they may also smell a bit as well. Cheesy
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #53 on: May 11, 2011, 02:37:11 PM »

Maybe a better way to put it would be, "the bandwidth of the signal is directly proportional to the mindwidth of the operator".

I appreciate the wide variety of facets that exist in amateur radio, and enjoy several myself.  It might seem selfish on my part, but I have to admit, frankly, that if AM were ever taken away from AR, I wouldn't give a rat's arse if the FCC and/or ITU deleted the "amateur radio service" altogether.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »

... old gear generally requires a lot more space and can be extremely heavy to move around
See picture.

When I was a kid, I used to hear this little peanut all over the place.  I lived just a few miles from it. Any receiver that wasn't quite right, this is all I heard and I heard it everywhere, up and down the dial. The "wheel" is embedded in my brain.  -.-   ..-. ...   I'd love to go fundamentalist with it but it hitch hiked out of town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaiwKJgS-Q4

* PW15move.png (421.06 KB, 645x400 - viewed 369 times.)
* kfs.mp3 (105.63 KB - downloaded 164 times.)
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2011, 03:07:07 PM »

Maybe a better way to put it would be, "the bandwidth of the signal is directly proportional to the mindwidth of the operator".

Needs a qualification for H.F.

Think 2 meter repeaters.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2011, 05:49:38 PM »

Closed minds are also often the smallest

Who said that? Anyone famous?

Quotes

‘It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.’

— Aristotle

‘If a Man will begin with certainties, he will end in doubts; but if he will be content to begin with doubts he will end in certainties.’

— Francis Bacon

‘When one door closes, another opens. But we often look so regretfully upon the closed door that we don’t see the one which has opened for us.’

— Alexander Graham Bell

‘The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.’

— Henri Bergson

‘I had an immense advantage over many others dealing with the problem in as much as I had no fixed ideas derived from long-established practice to control and bias my mind, and did not suffer from the general belief that whatever is, is right.’

— Henry Bessemer

‘A weak mind is like a microscope, which magnifies trifling things but cannot receive great ones.’

— G. K. Chesterton

‘We all operate in two contrasting modes, which might be called open and closed. The open mode is more relaxed, more receptive, more exploratory, more democratic, more playful and more humorous. The closed mode is the tighter, more rigid, more hierarchical, more tunnel-visioned. Most people, unfortunately spend most of their time in the closed mode.’

— John Cleese

‘Creative experiences can be produced regularly, consistently, almost daily in people’s lives. It requires enormous personal security and openness and a spirit of adventure.’

— Steven C

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1VD
Contributing

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2011, 07:00:28 PM »

Who said that? Anyone famous?

Nope. Just a personal observation ...

'Tnx Fer the Dope OM'.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015