The AM Forum
May 07, 2024, 05:12:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fundamentalist Radio Extremism  (Read 23457 times)
KA3EKH

« on: May 04, 2011, 11:26:12 AM »

Have been watching the threads on the technical side about AME and SDR stuff. Have to say as a truly committed Luddite that there is no substitute for high level plate modulation. PDM in solid state may be the equal for transistors or FET finals but the people with their balanced modulators, IF filters, stages of questionable linear response and ALC just can't get the feel of a high powered vintage vacuum tube transmitter. It's like the difference between riding a Harley and a Honda, their Bothe good bikes but one will never be like the other, and as far as the SDR people and their computer that's masquerading as a radio and their I and Q encoders, don’t even get me started on that! The above are my own opinions and are not meant as a condemnations or slurs on others but having read a comment posted the other day about using triodes in amplifiers and thinking about it have to say I have had more fun playing around with the huge inefficient 833 triode modulators and PA in my old RCA then with much of the work I have to do on modern equipment. For me the size and simplicity of working with the old stuff far exceeds and satisfaction that can be derived from downloading a new app or writing couple new lines of code for a SDR. But that’s just me and everyone is entitled to their own views, will be curious to see others views just remember to be broad minded and respect others.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:34:04 AM »

To each his or her own.  So long as it's AM, it's fine in my book - doesn't matter at all what the other guys are running.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
K3ZS

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 11:47:55 AM »

A Honda bike will last a lot longer on the road than a Harley, although they don't make as much noise.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »

I don't care if you run spark but talk is cheap
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:20:27 PM »

Having BOTH a Harley and Honda keeps it interesting.  I find if I slide too much to one side, in time, I long for the other greener side. The solution for me was to build and play with THREE different rigs.

The first is a class C, plate modulated single 4-1000A, modulated by a pair of 4-1000A's.  Heavy metal radio.

The second is a 24 pill class E PDM rig.  Silent but deadly.

The third is a kit/homebrew HPSDR computer controlled 160-6M transceiver with a 200W solid state amp. Welcome to computer ham radio.

It's fun to switch rigs and play that way for a while. Then it's a relief to switch back after getting bored with one.  Building up the various rigs takes time and effort, but the result is I haven't gotten antsy and torn down a rig out of boredom in a long time. In my ham life, variety is the spice of life.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N8LGU

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 12:26:21 PM »

I love the sound of a large plate modulated rig that goes "THUNK" when they throw the plate switch and all the background noise disappears and then is followed by full fidelity clean audio!

I love the smell of old warm boatanchors. The gleam of chrome and stainless steel against wrinkle paint renews my spirit.

I admit it's probably a form of mental illness, but I enjoy my perversion. I probably was affected by watching too many "mad scientist" films as a youth.

"Rock Cave Dave"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 12:27:24 PM »

None of my equipment leaks oil  Grin
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »

No British gear at all, eh Dave?

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 12:39:55 PM »

No British gear at all, eh Dave?

You are aware I'm a glutton for punishment when it comes to automobiles.

No British anything at my place unless it's disguised. Sold my last Racal 6 years ago.

My boss is a Britisher though. Gotta watch the grammar on emails.
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 12:51:43 PM »

Apparently not nearly enough of a glutton for punishment, with no British vehicles in the stable.  Safer that way, no oil slick to slip on and saves on the fire extinguisher bill  Grin

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 12:55:13 PM »

I've seen Lucas branded Bosch parts. Same stuff as Bosch branded but who knows where it was manufactured.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2011, 01:00:25 PM »

You know what they say: Opinions are like that there certain part of the body, everybody has one!!

However, I do definately favor big toobz and iron!! Solid state hi tech stuff really doesn't do much for me.  JMHO! ! ! ! !

Dave, say what you want about the brits, their electrics may suck, thats a given!!
But.........................I'd still love to get my hands on a Vincent before I die! ! ! ! ! ! !

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 01:03:02 PM »

You know what they say: Opinions are like that there certain part of the body, everybody has one!!

However, I do definately favor big toobz and iron!! Solid state hi tech stuff really doesn't do much for me.  JMHO! ! ! ! !

Dave, say what you want about the brits, their electrics may suck, thats a given!!
But.........................I'd still love to get my hands on a Vincent before I die! ! ! ! ! ! !

You seem to have retained much patience through the years Frank.

Back on subject.
If I want tOOb equipment that can still scare the hell out of visitors the linear final is just fine.
Fred k2dx

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 01:11:07 PM »

A Honda whatever with all its plastic has no soul. I'll take metal, real chrome, and torque anyday.
WB2CAU

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 01:13:48 PM »

I've seen Lucas branded Bosch parts. Same stuff as Bosch branded but who knows where it was manufactured.

Yesterday I bought a set of Bosch spark plugs... Made In Russia

Eric

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 01:16:15 PM »

I actually had that happen one night when a HV connector blew apart on the 4X1 rig!! Someone was sitting right next to the cabinet when it went off like an M-80.
He just about jumped out of his skin, and I fell out of my chair laughing  Grin  Grin

After owning around 30 bikes in my life (including Triumphs and BSAs) I have always and still do want a Vincent! ! ! ! !

With all that I have been through over the years, somehow I still have a lot of patience.
(at least with certain things)   Shocked  Grin

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 01:17:26 PM »

I heard the new Mustang has a six speed made in China and it is a real HOS.

I have stuff at both ends of the spectrum but really need to do some spark.
Talk is cheap "where's the strap"
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 01:23:44 PM »

Hi Ray,
Some of us have been through the entire exciting part of the hobby and plate modulated rigs, etc. I owned a Gates BC1-H with 4- 833A's and I made a very bad mistake of selling it. I also owned a McMartin BA1-K with  four each 4-500's and even had it capable of operating on 160-40M and I sold that too......I really did not care for the audio...............I enjoyed the plate modulated rigs and present operating habits and space limitations, of not being able to have the TX in the same room as me has turned my attention to the beauty of a computer pretending to be a radio and the FLEX radio syndrome and the Ameritron AL1500. I love being able to see what is happening in the land of radio and outrageous audio with little processing from external devices.
So I like the easy street to AM radio.....so to speak

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2011, 01:34:02 PM »

Plate modulation is interesting and fun.

So is low level, class E and Flex.

Al that aside it's still the same person behind the mic.

Some folks avoid AM because they have an idea AM users are going to write them off unless old iron is being used. Not so in my neck of the woods. Just look at the equipment list in the AM rallye thread.
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2011, 01:35:25 PM »

I heard the new Mustang has a six speed made in China and it is a real HOS.

I have stuff at both ends of the spectrum but really need to do some spark.
Talk is cheap "where's the strap"

I did both extremes too.  813/big watts/hollow.  Modified Retro75/little watts/solid.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 01:39:42 PM »

Lucas electric systems AKA "The Prince of Darkness".

Fred k2dx

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 01:44:32 PM »

LOL. Haven't heard 'The Prince of Darkness' term for a while.

BTW Dave, my Racal 6778c was made in Rockville, Md. for the Canadian NSA type operation so it's American made.
W8IXY
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2011, 02:06:04 PM »

The "olde" broadcast guys will probably remember the pair of 5671's modulated by another pair of 5671's in several 50kw plate modulated transmitters from the 40's and 50's.  The mod transformer and reactor were almost the size of a small car, and you could feel the bass frequencies vibrating through the floor the iron was sitting on.

I never got to see a 500kw plate modulated transformer while it was on the air, but I did have a chance to walk through and around the old WLW 500kw on a visit there in the mid 70's.

Those 5671's still are some of the "most handsome" of the big power triodes.

Ted  W8IXY
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2011, 02:14:27 PM »

Variety is the spice of life.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2011, 03:03:46 PM »

Lucas electric systems AKA "The Prince of Darkness".

The reason the British like warm beer.....Their refrigerators are built by Lucas!

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015