The AM Forum
May 17, 2024, 08:25:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: QSO interrupted this evening  (Read 25407 times)
w1vtp

« on: February 02, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »

I was carrying on a QSO with my friends W1SNG, Glenn & KB1IAW, Paul.  Suddenly a slopbucket QSO came on and pretty much terminated the QSO.  I was running 50 (not 51, Fred) watts.  Glenn and Paul were running about the same power.

Afterwards, I politely interjected my call on SSB and was recongnized. I stated that it may have been conditions but that they broke up our AM QSO because they had started theirs on top of ours.  The only response I got was "OK" and they continued their QSO as though nothing had been said.  No apologies no nothing.  It really makes a case for me to get off my butt an get that 813 rig done -- or be an appliance oopertor and purchase a max power linear so I can be a tall ship and keep these inconsiderate individuals at bay.

Al
K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:42:41 PM »

Al, one 813 or two?   Wink

50 watts isn't enough at night to clear a path but as Derb once said, the thing that makes a strapper is the antenna.  What's your antenna?   To me the strapper priorities are in order, antenna, audio power/processing closely followed by carrier (i.e. RF power).

Most of us (like myself) can't do the tall ship antenna thing so we have to settle for the best we can do in that area then try to max out the other two. 

Rob

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
K5IIA

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 08:01:22 PM »

i would really recomend maybe building an sbe transmitter. a sbe transmitter has an effect i have never seen anything else do to a really close ssb qso,, it makes it go away.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

73, Brandon K5iia
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:39:08 PM »

Hi Al..too bad this kinda thing persists..yud think after 40+ years of SSB versus AM there might be civility..but no..ah well just for ur piece of mind Al I heard you and FSJ and a couple others in QSO today between snowblowin rounds..sure FSJ who uses maybe a tad more pwr was at times 30 over 9 but you were not far behind at 10 over 9 on the National..the other fellers barely made S9 if that so don't sell ur set-up short by any means..I'd be proud as punch to beat more than 35 watts outta both rigs here at the present..no antenna yet as Ma Nature heard of my plans and put and end to that..soon though soon..and as Rob said half the battle is ur antenna anyhoo..no truer words were ever spoken but agn Al don't count ur sigs out by any means..ur always Q5 here!
                                                           73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 09:45:43 PM »

I was carrying on a QSO with my friends W1SNG, Glenn & KB1IAW, Paul.  Suddenly a slopbucket QSO came on and pretty much terminated the QSO.  I was running 50 (not 51, Fred) watts.  Glenn and Paul were running about the same power.

Afterwards, I politely interjected my call on SSB and was recongnized. I stated that it may have been conditions but that they broke up our AM QSO because they had started theirs on top of ours.  The only response I got was "OK" and they continued their QSO as though nothing had been said.  No apologies no nothing.  It really makes a case for me to get off my butt an get that 813 rig done -- or be an appliance oopertor and purchase a max power linear so I can be a tall ship and keep these inconsiderate individuals at bay.

Al

Ahhh........contactus interruptus.

Al, this sounds like just another case of the sense of entitlement or "me-first" sentiment which is so prevalent in American society nowadays, and obviously found quite commonly on the amateur radio bands. No different from the general lack of etiquette and politeness on the roads we probably all experience daily. In a car, on the Internet, or esconced safely in their shack, people do these kinds of things much more readily when they are unseen and more or less anonymous. Really a pity......and such a sign of gross immaturity and moral bankruptcy.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
WA1GFZ

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 09:52:26 PM »

Remember the time I found the wallet at Deerfield with over $1000 in it.
I had it posted over the PA. When the guy came and got it he acted like I picked his pocket and didn't even thank me. A lot of losers out in radio land.
Turned out the guy was a slop bucket Collins flipper.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 10:08:29 PM »

Too bad you weren't aware of that when you first found it.   Grin

I assume you did verify that he was the rightful owner.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 10:21:01 PM »

I had it posted over the PA. When the guy came and got it he acted like I picked his pocket and didn't even thank me. A lot of losers out in radio land.

Frank, a good friend of mine lost his wallet on an out-of-state trip a number of years ago. Someone found the wallet, contacted my buddy, and returned the wallet with everything in place and untouched, and they even paid for the return shipping. When the wallet was received, my friend offered to provide a generous reward, which was completely refused by the finder. They also refused to accept any reimbursement for the return shipping fees.

There are still good, honest, and gracious people out there. We just have to be lucky enough to cross paths with them in the course of our lives.

Sorry Al; I think this thread is being hijacked from the original topic!

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W1UJR
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 10:45:12 PM »

Al, this sounds like just another case of the entitlement or "me-first" sentiment which is so prevalent in American society nowadays, and obviously found quite commonly on the amateur radio bands. No different from the general lack of etiquette and politeness on the roads we probably all experience daily. In a car, on the Internet, or esconced safely in their shack, people do these kind of things much more readily when they are unseen and more or less anonymous. Really a pity......and such a sign of moral bankruptcy.

Bruce

Nailed it!
Sad but true, a most poignant and pithy observation Mr. XR.

-Bruce
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 10:55:11 PM »

So what would have explained such behavior (and it did happen) back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's?

Al, this sounds like just another case of the entitlement or "me-first" sentiment which is so prevalent in American society nowadays, and obviously found quite commonly on the amateur radio bands. No different from the general lack of etiquette and politeness on the roads we probably all experience daily. In a car, on the Internet, or esconced safely in their shack, people do these kind of things much more readily when they are unseen and more or less anonymous. Really a pity......and such a sign of moral bankruptcy.

Bruce

Nailed it!

-Bruce
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2011, 12:58:19 AM »

So what would have explained such behavior (and it did happen) back in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's?

Bruce

Nailed it!

-Bruce

Steve,

Such behavior has certainly always existed to a greater or lesser degree and most likely always will, and is unfortunately, very much a part of the human condition. I am suggesting that I (and others) believe it is getting worse in the current era.

Speaking with folks (including my parents) over the years who did live through the '30s, '40s, etc., and listening to their comments as to how people in this country related to each other in general during those periods, I have heard repeatedly that the self-serving, selfish, and narcissistic behavior I was commenting on is much worse nowadays. Although I myself did not live in the '30s or the '40s, I have been very much aware and cognizant of the way people relate to each other since my coming of age beginning in the late 1960s. Based upon my own personal experience and observations vis-a-vis this subject, and others within this forum may well agree, I suspect that I am not alone in this view of this condition worsening.

Perhaps there is good reason as to why some in this country regard those Americans who so unselfishly served, fought and died for this country during the Second World War, and fought for democracy against the fascism in Europe and Asia during that period, among other significant positive achievements, are referred to as the "Greatest Generation".

Strictly an opinion, an observation, and my $0.02. And boy, is this thread getting off topic! My apologies, Al!

Bruce

KA2DZT

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2011, 12:59:56 AM »

I was carrying on a QSO with my friends W1SNG, Glenn & KB1IAW, Paul.  Suddenly a slopbucket QSO came on and pretty much terminated the QSO.  I was running 50 (not 51, Fred) watts.

Al,

Now you'll understand why I run a full 51 watts.

51watt Fred
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2011, 05:13:42 AM »

Refer Madness.
Jim KF2SY

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2011, 06:14:19 AM »

I was carrying on a QSO with my friends W1SNG, Glenn & KB1IAW, Paul.  Suddenly a slopbucket QSO came on and pretty much terminated the QSO.  I was running 50 (not 51, Fred) watts.  Glenn and Paul were running about the same power.

Afterwards, I politely interjected my call on SSB and was recongnized. I stated that it may have been conditions but that they broke up our AM QSO because they had started theirs on top of ours.  The only response I got was "OK" and they continued their QSO as though nothing had been said.  No apologies no nothing.  It really makes a case for me to get off my butt an get that 813 rig done -- or be an appliance oopertor and purchase a max power linear so I can be a tall ship and keep these inconsiderate individuals at bay.

Al

Al, the pattern the last few years during the Winter has been SSB'ers encroaching (or worse) the traditional AM area because the Tall Ships have moved ther operating to 160. 

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2011, 08:11:46 AM »

That's the kind of guy who doesn't leave a tip in a restaurant because he figures he's never going back there again.

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 10:33:44 AM »

That's the kind of guy who doesn't leave a tip in a restaurant because he figures he's never going back there again.

Same kind of guy who picks up his tip when he sees someone else at the table leave a large tip.

Or the guy who takes out-of-town visitors to dinner, then sticks them with the bill.

Or the guy who takes credit for the words, work, or success of others, like lifting things from the internet pages of others to bolster their own image.  

And the list goes on...

Things were better then, Steve. Rosy and happy all the live-long day. Pay no attention to those columns in QST and elsewhere about bad behavior on the radio, OM. That's the ticket.  Roll Eyes

In all seriousness - bad behavior has existed as long as civilization has, and probably before. The only saving grace back in the good ol' days was likely fewer people, and/or less visibility through things like TV, the internet, and so on.

And Al, your experience is one that many of us have had through the decades. A few years back I was on 80m talking with Slab and a few others. It was a contest weekend and I was responding to Slab as he went upstairs to get something. When I unkeyed, a K8 station was calling CQ on the frequency, loud and clear. I went back to him several times to tell him the frequency was in use, to which he finally replied "I don't care". Turns out Buddly knew the guy. When he contacted him to ask about it, the guy claimed someone else was using his station. mhm.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. They live amongst us. Here and everywhere.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »

W3DBB said:
.......and tells Grant he is excessively wide

He actually said Grant was splattering "all the way up the band". I was talkng to Grant at the time so I opened up the PowerSDR display and took a couple screenshots. I also had the HP8591E tuned in and verified Grant was -45dBc at @4kHz. No splatter. Most of these guys have no idea what IMD is and how previlent it is in the riceboxes. They just can't handle strong adjacent signals.

Once this was known the guy mumbled some more and then went away. Six other stations came on in the next few minutes to verify my findings and everythng was fine the rest of the night.

I got the same thing on 3733 the other night and simply replied "file a complaint with the FCC and leave me the hell alone" and went on with my qso. After a few minutes of QRM the guy went away. In fact, later that night I heard the same guy, with his faithful followers, on 1888kHz QRMing the AM qso on 1885kHz. Not getting a response they moved to 1878kHz to QRM 1880kHz.

Don K4KYV has the right answer. Strap and Ignore!
Never give up........ never say die!

W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 10:42:08 AM »

I heard the whole exchange that Al posted. I heard him try to break into the ssb group and get completely ignored. He had to drop his call 3 times before they figured out he was not going away.
Al, your original conclusion is right on. This brand of idiots won't usually bother with really big signals. There are other idiots for that......

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »

When the guy came and got it he acted like I picked his pocket and didn't even thank me...

It's not hard to imagine the overwhelming probability of what would have happened if the situation had been reversed and he had been the one who found the wallet.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
Steve - K4HX
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 11:58:32 AM »

My point is that a single incident or anecdote involving amateur radio does not say anything about society at large. Pop psychology really adds nothing to the conversation.

Al, I'm sorry you got QRMed. We all know such things should not happen. But they do and have always happened on 75 meters. Unfortunately, more power is usually the answer. Same as it ever was.
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 12:12:06 PM »

My point is that a single incident or anecdote involving amateur radio does not say anything about society at large. Pop psychology really adds nothing to the conversation.

Steve,

In retrospect, and particularly with regard to my postings on this topic, I think you are absolutely correct with regard to your observation that "a single incident or anecdote involving amateur radio does not say anything about society at large".

However, for my own edification, could you clarify how the term "pop psychology" is applicable here? It is a somewhat overused cliche or metaphor.

Thanks & 73,

Bruce

WA1GFZ

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »

Bruce an karma would have it.
About a year later I jump out of my truck at Deerfield and my wallet falls on the ground as I walk away. I didn't have any money in it but credit card license and other crap were in it. I walk around for a couple hours buying stuff before It dawns on me that I have no wallet in my pocket. I go back to the truck and there is is sitting on the ground.
Steve, every generation has its share of losers. Maybe we are at the age where we notice it more.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 01:09:50 PM »

Al, I'm sorry you got QRMed. We all know such things should not happen. But they do and have always happened on 75 meters. Unfortunately, more power is usually the answer. Same as it ever was.

But from being on the air since 1959 and listening several years before then, I can attest that although not unheard before then, the predominance of deliberate QRM and jamming increased many-fold during the AM vs slopbucket wars of the 1960's and to this day the legacy is still with us. Maybe just a coincidence, or maybe once the genie escaped from the bottle he couldn't be forced back in. In any case, as always, a strapping signal is the best countermeasure.

- - -
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »

About a year later I jump out of my truck at Deerfield and my wallet falls on the ground as I walk away. I didn't have any money in it but credit card license and other crap were in it. I walk around for a couple hours buying stuff before It dawns on me that I have no wallet in my pocket. I go back to the truck and there is is sitting on the ground.

Here is my solution to the lost wallet problem.  I bought this on line several years ago.  It holds all the essentials: driving permit, debit card, insurance cards, etc.  It fits in my front pocket and is very comfortable; I can't even tell it's there unless I feel for it.  Of course I can't cram it full of cash or carry a jillion credit cards, but I never did that any way. Notice how it is shaped to fit the front pocket.

I used to never carry a full size wallet on my person unless I knew I would be needing it.  It would tend to work its way out of a rear pocket and was uncomfortable in front or back. I just kept it in the glove box of the car and carried nothing but a little cash with me. If I wasn't driving I would often just leave it at the house. I usually carry cash in a different place anyway.

The only problem was when I found myself driving one vehicle and remembered the wallet was in the other. The one shown in the picture resolved the wallet issue once and for all.

* wallet.JPG (1161.68 KB, 2576x1716 - viewed 449 times.)

- - -
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »

But from being on the air since 1959 and listening several years before then, I can attest that although not unheard before then, the predominance of deliberate QRM and jamming increased many-fold during the AM vs slopbucket wars of the 1960's and to this day the legacy is still with us. Maybe just a coincidence, or maybe once the genie escaped from the bottle he couldn't be forced back in. In any case, as always, a strapping signal is the best countermeasure.

I don't doubt that one bit, Don. When the move to SSB from AM was taking place, the ARRL was promoting it, of course. So that had to add plenty of fuel to the fire, and no doubt the driving off of AMers appeared 'sanctioned' to some.

In fact, I recall hearing a story back in the 70s/early 80s from an OT who was around when 'fone first became an option. He spoke of the same thing happening with CW ops who hated 'fone and swore they'd never use it. He said there were some who went after the CW ops too. Even the book 200 Meters and Down mentions battles between CW ops with plenty of jamming taking place.

I do prefer the 'tune up the wick and ignore' approach. With memories still fresh of being a pissweaker running a 32V-2, low power AM has zero appeal. Been there, done that, can understand Al's frustration.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015