The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:07:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2011 AM Transmitter Rally Feb 5th and 6th !  (Read 29680 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: January 10, 2011, 09:44:05 AM »

Announcing the 2011
Amplitude Modulation Transmitter Rally
Contest and Operating Event

On the HF Amateur Bands (160meters to 10 meters)

Date:Saturday, February 5th 6:00AM EST to

Sunday, February 6th 11:00PM PST (2:00 AM EST Monday, 2/7)

Sponsored by:
AMFONE.Net (www.amfone.net)Your definitive source for everything related to AM.
Radio Engineering Associates (www.radioassociates.com) Equipment and services for the professional and radio amateur. 

The purpose of this event is to encourage the use of Amplitude Modulation on theAmateur Radio Bands, and to highlight various types of AM equipment in usetoday. This event is open to any and all radio amateurs who are running full carrier amplitude modulation (standard AM), and any type of equipment may be used.

Commonly used AM Frequencies: 160 Meters:1880-1885, 1930, 1945, 1975-1995. 80 Meters: 3730-3740, 3870-3885.  40 Meters: 7160,7280-7295.  20 Meters: 14286. 15 Meters: 21425  10 Meters: 29000-29200.

These commonly used frequencies can be good starting points. As activity grows, expand to other frequencies to prevent congestion and excessively large round tables.  As always, PLEASE be considerate of existing QSOs and Nets, and ensure that the frequency is clear before calling "CQ, the A.M. Transmitter Rally".

Points are to be awarded as follows:

a) 1 point for each station worked a specific band. If you work the same station on more than one band, you get 1 point for each band.
 b) 1 point for each state, country or Canadian Province worked. Note: Both you and the station with whom you are QSOing must be using AM.

Logging: Note, the log format has changed since last year's event! We also have free logging software (see below).

The following information must be included in your log for each contact to be counted:

Time (local), Frequency, Call Sign, First Name, Their Location (city, state, country), Their Equipment.

Log Format: Each item should appear in a separate column, and in the column order shown below:

Logging Notes:
The CAT: line is the station category (a-g), and should be included in thefirst column (somewhere) if the station is to be entered in a particular category. Example: CAT:A (see list of categories, below)

Logging States and Countries: The "State/Province" log column must contain the 2 letter state or Canadian province code unless the country is not Canada or the US. In these instances, the 2 letter country code must be entered in the "Country" column. We use software that reads the logs, and will look for 2 letter state and country codes, and add them into your score.

Free, simple logging software: We have created a free, simple to use logging program to facilitate logging for the A.M.T.R. and, if you wish, it will automatically upload your log to our logging server. This program will be available for free download 7 days before the event.
See www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.htm

Using Excel for logging: Template logs are here:www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.xls(excel)
www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.csv(csv).

Any program that can generate a comma separated values file in the order shown in the logging example may be used.

Also Please let us know about anything outstanding, unusual or unique you hear.

A description of your station equipment, power and any other interesting features should also be included as part of your submission along with your mailing and email addresses. Pictures may also be emailed to us. If at all possible, please use electronic submission of logs using our Logging program, Excel or CSV(comma separated values) formats.

Email Excel or CSV logs to: amtr@radioassociates.com

If you do not own, or cannot use a computer, paper logs may be mailed to:

Radio Engineering Associates
AMTRLogging
79 Tyler Road
Townsend, MA 01469

Recognition will be givenfor the following areas:

1) Overall highest points:1st,2nd and 3rd place (all scores will be published)

2) Highest points in each ofthe following categories for stations as follows (all scores will be published):
   a) Using a classic commercial AM Amateur transmitter(KW1, Desk KW, Collins 32V3, DX-100, etc.)
   b) Using a converted AM Broadcast Transmitter.
   c) Using a military transmitter.
   d) Using a home built vacuum tube transmitter (vacuumtubes in the RF amplifier and modulator).
   e) Using a home built solid state transmitter.
   f) Using a low level transmitter and linear amplifier.
   g) Using anything not covered by the above.

Note: Recognition will be given to stations that show up in many other folks' logs, even if these operators did not send in a log themselves. This is to emphasize the spirit and importance of operating during the event, even if one is not actively participating in the "contest".

In addition to points, recognitions will be made on an ad-hoc basis, depending on the specific situation.

Examples of these are:
 a) Unusually good operating practices, facilitating contacts, etc.
 b) Very unusual or unique equipment
 c) Most clip leads in thet ransmitter
 d) Most hum or incidental FM
 e) Longest transmission heard
 f) Highest weight to powerratio
Etc, etc, etc.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20:10 AM »

A great way to keep warm this February!  Fire up those boatanchor transmitters - the bigger the BETTER!  Get that soldering iron going - you have about 1 month to have everything ready.

Seriously though, we generated a lot of attention last year (more than 440 stations participated).  Can we make it 1000 this year?  Maybe so!

If you didn't send in a log last year, we have made it SUPER EASY to do so this year with free logging software, customized for the A.M.T.R., which will also upload the log, anytime you want, to our logging server.  It just doesn't get any easier!!!  Check out http://www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.htm

But, if you don't send in a log, that's OK - just get on and make our presence known in a big way.

If you want to help publicize the event, there are several ways to do that. Talk about it on the air - that goes without saying :-)

For posting on other boards like this one, use the bbcode version (it will look much prettier than plain text) available at: http://www.classeradio.com/amtr_bbcode.txt

An HTML version is available if you post a link: http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.htm

A raw text version is available for posting to email lists that don't like or take HTML: http://www.classeradio.com/amtr.txt

Thanks so much and Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »

Git yer special event callsign befor they is all gorn.

klc

What? Me worry?
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 02:03:24 AM »

Git yer special event callsign befor they is all gorn.

klc

Good idea!  I put in for "W1E" again.  I know last year there was a flurry of special event call activity.

W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 12:53:43 PM »

I fail to understand why people want a Special Event call for this exercise? When people use them, in many cases, I don't know who they are? What's up with this? I guess you can see I don't get it.

This is not an attach on this event, I thought they were best used for Light House adventures & historical things.

Please help me understand.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 01:42:40 PM »

My spin on it Terry - the AMTR is a Special Event of sorts, celebrating and promoting the mode. Though we operate regularly, the hope is that such an event will draw not only more people to put their AM transmitters on the air, but all the activity, audio, and 'weird' call signs will pique the interest of those listening in, causing them to investigate further.

Like the event itself, the special calls are just another way to promote and raise the visibility of AM for a day or two. Quite often, those with special calls will list them here ahead of time. Others you can probably figure out (I've used K1Q before, Steve used W3Z when he was WB3HUZ, etc.).

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 08:30:42 PM »

Hello Steve,

The CAT: column is to share the Time column?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 10:25:15 PM »

Hello Steve,

The CAT: column is to share the Time column?

More or less - the software will look for CAT: in the first column.  Or use the AMTR logging software and the category will be automatically included at the end of the log.

Regards,

Steve

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 10:34:10 PM »

So far,

W8K    February 5, 2011    February 7,   2011
W9A    February 5, 2011    February 14, 2011
W1G    February 4, 2011    February 7,   2011
W8B    February 4, 2011    February 18, 2011
W9T    February 4, 2011    February 7,  2011

What? Me worry?
AF9J
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 07:52:43 PM »

Hmmmmm, I guess I'll have to fix the pre-selector vs driver peaking tracking on my FT-301SD.  I could use the Viking II, but the 301SD is MUCH more frequency agile.
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 02:40:38 PM »

WB2EMS=W2E  Feb 5-6 Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »

W8L for the weekend!

And Terry............ it's because I can! Simple as that.

But then again............. I'm just a buddly. WhatdoIknow?
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »

Please listen for  W9T

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2011, 05:04:24 PM »

do we get double point for working the special event station and then the regular call? Perhaps another point for guessing who is behind the call Huh Huh Huh

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 09:42:44 AM »

Nah, since there are fewer letters Terry, you get fewer points.  Takes less time to work 'em, allowing you to rack up a bigger score! Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2011, 10:49:40 AM »

Please listen for  W9T

73,  Jack, W9GT

Looking forward to working you Jack.  You received a number of cudos for fine operating during the last event and you made a lot of points, too!  If you get a chance, check out the logging software I've created - saves a lot if hand-writing if there's a computer handy. http://www.classeradio.com/amtrlog.htm

Another thing unrelated - I wonder what's holding up my special event call sign request?  I put it in at LEAST a week ago with the ARRL for W1E - haven't heard a THING.  Last year I got a call about it because there were so many requests.  I wonder.............. hmmmmmmmmmm....

Regards,

Steve

Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2011, 01:12:46 PM »

Steve,

Use another provider, ARRL is not the only one...

Cancel their request then check in with this fellow.

He is quick to respond and don't ask too many questions.

WCARS / VEC, Inc.
Win Guin - W2GLJ
2138 Sonning Dr
Germantown, TN 38138
Phone: (901) 754-4552 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (901) 754-4552      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (901) 754-4552      end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              (901) 754-4552      end_of_the_skype_highlighting
Fax: 901-757-3874
Email: winguin@bellsouth.net This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2011, 01:18:24 PM »

Ignore the crap regarding the phone numbers, this system don't like the Skype
   highlighting of twisted pair listings Huh Huh Huh

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2011, 01:46:10 PM »

Win is good. It's always taken less than a week turnaround with him. Sometimes I've gotten an email from him with a request for more info on the request, but that hasn't slowed things down much. One or two of the other organizations I tried seemed to be black holes - request in and nothing back out.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 02:21:38 PM »

Steve,

Last year I tried the ARRL and they didn't respond at all to my request and it was getting really late so I switched to W5YI at the last minute requesting the same 1X1 from him. The next day I received an angry email from CT telling me how much extra work I caused them.

I filed my request this year again with W5YI and it was granted in less than a week. It might be better to drop the league an email before you switch.

Mike
W8BAC/W8B
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2011, 02:37:15 PM »

Hold On Steve, I see your request has been granted. Go here and type in your W1E search http://www.1x1callsigns.org/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=3&Itemid=9. Looks FB to me.

Mike
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »

Hold On Steve, I see your request has been granted. Go here and type in your W1E search http://www.1x1callsigns.org/index.php?option=com_jumi&fileid=3&Itemid=9. Looks FB to me.

Mike

Yes!  The email came in when I was out on the road !  Mike, thanks for checking.  I just found the email with the approval.  It did take a long time, but at least it's done now.

I wonder how many special event calls have been requested for the event.  Last year there were LOTS of them.

KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2011, 10:52:35 PM »

W8K    February 5,     February 7
W9A    February 5,     February 14
W2E    February 5,     February 6
K5D     February 5,     February 6  
W1E    February 5,     February 7
W1G    February 4,     February 7  
W9T    February 4,     February 7
W8L    February 4,     February 7
W9D    February 1,     February 7

last year we had 18  special event stations.

What? Me worry?
AJ1G
Contributing

« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2011, 06:42:52 AM »

Guys - please watch out for the Old Mil Radio Net on 3885 Saturday morning at 0500 to 0700.  We have been having AM transmitter rallies on there every Saturday morning since 1989!  Band is long at this time and lots of midwest stations in the rally coming in on top of the net....probably not hearing us who are having a lot of trouble hearing each other due to the propagation....seems like everyone in the rally is on 3885 but rest of band is dead.

Chris, AJ1G
Stonington, CT
KL7OF

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »

W7W
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015