The AM Forum
July 27, 2024, 04:19:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Superbowl 2011  (Read 9087 times)
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« on: February 06, 2011, 08:57:16 PM »

Jean and I are now watching the Superbowl--watching four of our hometown boys playing in the NFL for their first year.   Frank Zombo, Jenkins and Josh Gordy are on the field for the Packers, and Antonio Brown for the Steelers. Antonio's name was the first name announced as he returned the first kick of the game.

We've been watching these four perform on our own gridiron at Central Michigan University, at our home town in Mt. Pleasant, Michigan for the last three years, as they helped CMU win the MAC championship three years in a row.

What a thrill to see our own CMU guys playing in the NFL in the Superbowl !!!

Walt

PS--Our Zombo just now sacked the Steelers QB !!!

Forgot to mention, I'm an alumnus from CMU, and Jean is an Emeritus Professor, having teached there for 31 years.

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 05:45:02 AM »

Packers too hard to beat!!!

And the WORST EVER National Anthem I EVER heard. GAWD!!
Christina Aguilera was adding so many extra notes to the song song she forgot the words and repeated a phrase. I thought that type of crap singing was over with. I do not want to hear the performer emoting their heart out and ruining a song.
Any way nice 1080P pictures on our LG, 47 inch LED TV

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:13:50 AM »

.....she forgot the words and repeated a phrase.

It's not taught in most schools anymore, Phred! No surprise here.
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 08:57:40 AM »

Congrats to the Pack!  Great game.

As to the National Anthem, it is still sung at schools across the nation (as it should be).  The horrible performance was from typical "look at me, I am a star" behavior which requires them to "personalize" the piece and thus turn it into a piece of something best not mentioned here.  We would be far better off at events like the Superbowl to have the anthem sung by a military honor guard, the hall of fame inductee players, or even the local little old ladies knitting club.  Then you would have a group thrilled to have the experience rather than someone thinking what a great opportunity to be adored by millions.

Rodger WQ9E
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:15:39 AM »

Great game but the half time show sucked.
As a Giants fan there is the most respect for the Packers.
Some of us remember where Vince came from
WA3VJB
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 09:56:17 AM »

The National Anthem has succumbed to "American Idol Syndrome," where a pile of extra, random notes are added, and the person singing must interpret the song in a gospel-blues-urban style.

This is the same mandatory styling of songs performed on American Idol, so there you go.

The screwed up lyrics were a bonus.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 10:07:12 AM »

That also sucked
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 10:30:11 AM »

Anyone else notice how lousy the audio was for the half time show?  Low in level and the singers sounded like they were in a vacuum with no background music....total disaster...Whether or not you liked the style of music, it was a lousy production for such a huge event.  I bet the sponsors are unhappy!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 11:11:16 AM »

I was about 50 feet away checking my email. My Son was taking a dump. XYL surfing channels waiting for the garbage to end.

Might have actually been worse than the rolling stones the few seconds I saw.
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2011, 11:26:13 AM »

I was busy breathing in lead solder fumes. Later got on the air.   duuuh...There was a super bowl on?  Did the Yankees or Celtics win this time? ...   Cheesy

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
Sam KS2AM
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 11:47:27 AM »

Christina Aguilera was adding so many extra notes to the song song she forgot the words and repeated a phrase. I thought that type of crap singing was over with. I do not want to hear the performer emoting their heart out and ruining a song.

I've heard that style of singing decribed as "urban yodeling".  Whatever you call it , it blows.

Heres a seven year old girl that does a much more credible rendition and actually knows the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FqCWuqsYqw&feature=related

--- Post No Bills ---
W2DU
Contributing

Walt, at 90, Now 92 and licensed 78 years

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 12:56:21 PM »

The horrible rendition of the National Anthem at the Superbowl Game was a disgrace to the Anthem.

There is a law that outlaws desecrating the American Flag. There should also be a law that outlaws desecrating the National Anthem, by prohibiting ad lib liberties with the melody--it should be sung straight--no embellishments, regardless of the celebrity who sings it.

Walt

W2DU, ex W8KHK, W4GWZ, W8VJR, W2FCY, PJ7DU. Son Rick now W8KHK.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 01:01:51 PM »

You are kind Walt, I'd call her a has been
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 01:52:59 PM »

There was a super bowl on?  Did the Yankees or Celtics win this time? ...   Cheesy

I heard a rumor it was a draw. Both teams were killed off in the sudden death overtime... Shocked

Somehow whenever I hear the term Superbowl, I get this mental image involving a porcelain fixture. I think I've watched two through all the years.

And yes, I would like to hear that the National Anthem was sung correctly and reverently instead of "Idol" style.

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 02:40:40 PM »

The horrible rendition of the National Anthem at the Superbowl Game was a disgrace to the Anthem.

There is a law that outlaws desecrating the American Flag. There should also be a law that outlaws desecrating the National Anthem, by prohibiting ad lib liberties with the melody--it should be sung straight--no embellishments, regardless of the celebrity who sings it.

In her defense, she did come out today and apologize, taking responsibility for her screw up. It wasn't an ad lib, she just messed up (forgot) the words and took responsibility for it.

She has sung the National Anthem for several other large events in recent years, including the NBA and others, and didn't miss a beat. While her singing style differs somewhat from, say - Kate Smith's delivery of God Bless America - it does represent a younger audience as did the half time show. Not for everyone, but an honest attempt, in my opinion. Then again, a lot of folks didn't care for Ray Charles back in his day. It's hard for me to imagine anyone else singing Georgia on My Mind.

Professional singer or not, it has to be a bit unnerving to perform such an important function in front of 80,000 people as well as a TV audience of tens to hundreds of millions. The continuous roar of the crowd falls silent, and for that brief moment in time, everyone is looking at and listening to only you.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
k7yoo

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2011, 02:55:22 PM »

I was getting in a couple of AM QSO's , rebuilding an amp, and watching a crappy movie from Redbox. We did surf over to FOX for a couple minutes at the end of the game and caught a few flashes of the half time event. The halftime "entertainment" was really bad. Too bad about the national anthem. Since Roseanne lowered the "Barr" this tradition has degenerated.
Skip
w1vtp

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2011, 06:27:30 PM »

I've heard that style of singing decribed as "urban yodeling".  Whatever you call it , it blows.

Heres a seven year old girl that does a much more credible rendition and actually knows the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FqCWuqsYqw&feature=related

Absolutely agree.  The horrible rendidtion of our national anthem, even if she hadn't messed up the words, was an insult.  I've seen two renditions of Gina Incandela's rendition and it just gets better and better.  Good for Gina!!

Here's Gina's background and another performance

http://thehoopdoctors.com/online2/2009/05/7-year-old-gina-marie-incandelas-national-anthem-is-magic/

Al

Now, I'll get off my soap box
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2011, 07:31:04 PM »

These two belt it out in the traditional way and it WILL make the hairs on your neck stand up and salute. Play it loud! Danielle and Jessica Sons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNCUW1pTNzc

Mike
WA1GFZ

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2011, 08:52:08 PM »

ah Mike that made me feel better.

and they were much better looking
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015